none
Windows 7 OEM to Volume License key?

Question

• Hi,

I'm still rather new at this, I read in a document on http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/volume-licensing-briefs.aspx, that it is possible to have OEM keys change into MAK to make it easier to deploy machines using a ghost image.

We have a batch of new pcs that came with windows 7 professional OEM (sticker on pc case) and we also have a select agreement, so we have a Volume License key. The document says you need to verify if you have enough MAK's available, in our case it's 80/500, so technically there are enough MAKs so I don't need to ask any extra. But isn't there anything I have to do, like have the OEM keys disabled or something, to be officially in order?

Text from the document

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"MS Mincho"; panose-1:2 2 6 9 4 2 5 8 3 4; mso-font-alt:"MS 明朝"; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:"\@MS Mincho"; panose-1:2 2 6 9 4 2 5 8 3 4; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:modern; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:-536870145 1791491579 18 0 131231 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; text-align:justify; text-justify:inter-ideograph; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:9.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:"MS Mincho"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {mso-style-unhide:no; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; color:blue; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; color:purple; mso-themecolor:followedhyperlink; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-fareast-font-family:"MS Mincho";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

I want to reimage my OEM Windows 7 Professional PCs by using the Multiple Activation Key (MAK) rather than Key Management Service (KMS). How do I obtain more activation keys, if needed?

First, check how many activations are associated with the Windows Windows 7 MAK by going to the VLSC Web site, product key page, or by using the Volume Activation Management Tool (VAMT). If you need more activations, call the Activation Call Center and state the reason why or email makadd@microsoft.com and include your agreement information, customer name and contact information, business justification for the additional activations requested (i.e.: re-imaging), the product key and the amount of additional activations you would like to have added to the key. For more details on Volume Activation, visit http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/default.mspx .

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 7:14 AM

Answers

• Koen, the accent is on reimage.

I want to reimage my OEM Windows 7 Professional PCs ...

IOW, you cannot simply replace OEM key with MAK key. You have to reinstall your computers with Volume Licensing media. Then capture this image, then apply this image to your computers around your enterprise.

As far as unused OEM keys are concerned, you just leave them as they are, you don't need to call/e-mail anybody to revoke them.

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 8:52 AM
  • i think Les is correct about the focus of this whitepaper  Reimaging.docx .   it discusses replacing an OEM image with authorized VL media which is identical.  but that really just seems to raise a question about the reason for, or technical meaning of identical.

consider this.  if activating OEM Professional with MAK could work, that would present a problem with support.  who then owns that obligation, still the OEM, or MS?

here is an article which instructs you how to legally modify and reimage an OEM copy  Preserving OEM Activation in Windows Vista and Windows 7.  would it be possible to strip OEM Professional to bare bones, and have it be identical to the VL version?  looking at table 3 of the Volume Activation Planning Guide makes it seem plausible that you could apply your MAK key to that bare-bones OEM Professional image and it would activate ok.  that does not seem prohibited.  it just might not work.  i don't know the answer to that.  maybe Les can clarify?

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 1:32 PM

All replies

• Koen, the accent is on reimage.

I want to reimage my OEM Windows 7 Professional PCs ...

IOW, you cannot simply replace OEM key with MAK key. You have to reinstall your computers with Volume Licensing media. Then capture this image, then apply this image to your computers around your enterprise.

As far as unused OEM keys are concerned, you just leave them as they are, you don't need to call/e-mail anybody to revoke them.

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 8:52 AM
  • i think Les is correct about the focus of this whitepaper  Reimaging.docx .   it discusses replacing an OEM image with authorized VL media which is identical.  but that really just seems to raise a question about the reason for, or technical meaning of identical.

consider this.  if activating OEM Professional with MAK could work, that would present a problem with support.  who then owns that obligation, still the OEM, or MS?

here is an article which instructs you how to legally modify and reimage an OEM copy  Preserving OEM Activation in Windows Vista and Windows 7.  would it be possible to strip OEM Professional to bare bones, and have it be identical to the VL version?  looking at table 3 of the Volume Activation Planning Guide makes it seem plausible that you could apply your MAK key to that bare-bones OEM Professional image and it would activate ok.  that does not seem prohibited.  it just might not work.  i don't know the answer to that.  maybe Les can clarify?

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 1:32 PM