none
Intermittent video playback WMP 11 & Vista

Question

• I am experiencing choppy intermittent video playback while playing videos using Windows Media Player 11 running under Windows Vista. What I find intriguing is that:

1) I do not experience it under WinXP and

2) I experience some small choppiness during music playback also.

Vista Rating was 4.1 being my processor the lowest at 4.1 – everything else was much higher.

Processor: Intel Pentium-4  2.8GHz Prescott

MotherBoard: Asus P4P800-VM (800 FSB)

Memory: 3Gb Dual Channels DDR PC3200

Video: ATI X1650 PRO (AGP) 512Mb

Disk: 120Gb SATA-150

I did a clean install of Vista and installed latest drivers (downloaded Feb-4 from ATI site). Aero Glass and everything ran perfect. I then installed Photo Story 3 and noticed chopping video playback. When finished rendering video the playback using WMP 11 was choppy and intermittent. I went to an older WinXP P4 computer (only has a Radeon 9000) and the video played perfect. Cam back to Vista and checked the processor monitor and noticed at idle was 2-7% sometimes jumping to 14%. When tried to play WMP it “pegged” to 100% nearly constantly. Than I got concerned that either I have bad drivers or that my P4 2.8 Prescott is too slow for Vista (could this be possible?)

Then I replaced the HD drives to boot my WinXP to test on same comp. While playing same program WMP11 and same video file – my monitor was between 60-70%.  

Any comment feedback would be appreciated.

Monday, February 05, 2007 6:08 AM