none
0xc00000e9 Error

Question

• I am currently running Windows Vista Ultimate 64.

I reboorted my computer today and got the following message:

"DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND HIT ENTER"

I did this and then I got the followig message:

"Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred. "

I've looked at the other "related" questions and don't feel that any of them apply because of the following:

1) There was no external USB device connected to my computer at the time

2) My HDD isn't failing based on the HDD diagnostics that I can run from a CD-ROM

3) My CD-ROM Drive isn't failing because of #2

4) I've updated my bios and that didn't fix the problem

5) My DVD-Rom is working fine since that is what I used for my Windows Vista

Any help would be appreciated.

Saturday, November 08, 2008 10:44 PM

Answers

• Remove any unnecessary hardware device from the computer, format the computer and rebuild the system!

Thursday, November 13, 2008 5:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

First please refer to the following thread to see whether it helps.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=796452&SiteID=17

I know that you are unable to start the current vista operation system and getting the error 0xc00000e9; the issue can be caused by the damaged system files or hardware device. You might first follow the steps below to exclude the possibility of system corruption.

Method 1: Use the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to run System Restore

======================================================

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next

4. Click Repair your computer

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on System Restore.

7. Follow the System Restore Wizard instruction as usual and choose the appropriate restore point.

8. Click Finish to restore the system.

Method 2: Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7. (Click the operating system that you want to repair), and then click Next.

8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Good luck!

Monday, November 10, 2008 9:14 AM
  •  Andy Song – MSFT wrote:

Hi,

First please refer to the following thread to see whether it helps.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=796452&SiteID=17

I know that you are unable to start the current vista operation system and getting the error 0xc00000e9; the issue can be caused by the damaged system files or hardware device. You might first follow the steps below to exclude the possibility of system corruption.

Method 1: Use the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to run System Restore

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on System Restore.

7. Follow the System Restore Wizard instruction as usual and choose the appropriate restore point.

8. Click Finish to restore the system.

Method 2: Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7. (Click the operating system that you want to repair), and then click Next.

8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Good luck!

Andy - I am going to refrain from any snarkiness because I need help.  I thought I was very specific in saying that putting in my Vista DVD is what gave me the Oxc00000e9 error. 

When I put the Vista Installation DVD in, the screens change and it says Loading windows files.  However, it gets to 75% or so and then flips over to the error screen and I get the error thatr I listed.  It doesn't matter whether I try booting directly or booting from the HDD and then putting the DVD in.  I get the same error.

I've also taken the drive out of my computer, attached to another computer via an external USB drive kit and run checkdisk on it, with it fixing any errors it finds and that hasn't helped.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 8:26 PM
  • Remove any unnecessary hardware device from the computer, format the computer and rebuild the system!

Thursday, November 13, 2008 5:53 AM
  • I too am fortunate enough to have this same issue.  This started after an automatic critacal update March 20, 2009.  However my windows was preloaded and I have no windows disc.  I have done everything from recovery disc to F8 and I still am getting nothing.  Anyhelp would be appreciated. 
    PS als got a Stop Error 0x0000008E and have done evrything listed from site to fix this.  Everything was fine until the windows update.  HELP!!
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 6:58 PM
  • All,

I am having ecxatly the same problem. My started when I decided to format and reinstall windows vista.
    My computer was freezen, stoped to work after 5 minutes of use and so I decide to format it.
    It installed part of the recovery DVD, but when it re-start the computer, that is normal when we are installing windows, starts to give me the same error message. Now, i can do nothing.

Hope somebody bring us the solution.

Regards,
    Rodrigo
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 5:30 PM
  • I have got this same error today
    i get it when i try to start windows so i tryed what you said
    i can follow your instrutions up untill i have to choose my OS as there is no operating system or drive showing up there
    Please help

Monday, November 02, 2009 5:08 PM
  • same here, believe its to do with the hard drive, as i gothis error too, but i know the hdd was on the way out.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 2:30 PM
  • Sadly, I have had the same problems as everyone listed above.  Belive it or not, this has NOTHING to do with the hard drive.  When I first encountered this problem, I replaced the hard drive, which fixed the problem for about a week before it started all over again.  The fact of the matter is, almost everyone with this error started getting it soon after a "critical windows update".  Amazingly, this critical windows update has made systems that were running totally fine before the update 100% useless after it.  So far I have tried replacing the ram, CPU, and hard drive with absoloutley no luck whatsoever.  A friend who works in the IT department of a large company that will remain nameless said that he recently had a very simmilar problem with about 10 computers who were all using Logitech G35 headsets, and Logitech MX Revoloution wireless mice/keyboards.  Somehow after the critical update, all of the computers started hanging and giving the 0xc00000e9 error on bootup.  He formatted the hard drives and replaced the headsets / mice / keyboards with standard ps2 (non usb) microsoft brand equipment and it solved the problem.   In another case, he had to replace the Blu-ray disc player before the hangs would stop.   He still does not know exactly what causes the problems, but so far the only soloution he has found is reinstalling windows ultimate 64 on a reformatted hard drive, and selectivley removing parts of the computer untill no hangs are present.

Saturday, January 16, 2010 11:10 PM
  • i have the same problem, but i can solve it. i just cleaned the dvd and after that it works.

i think you should clean the dvd or burn a new install dvd or sg like this

Sunday, April 04, 2010 7:22 PM
  • Pleas dont post to this forum anymorethank you all for your help in the end had to replace the hard drive
    Monday, April 05, 2010 5:20 PM
  • I did all the above and nothing, finally decides to change my belts Cables IDE and S-ata and so far I have not have this problem, I hope you serve something ...!! Venezuela awante
    Wednesday, April 07, 2010 2:37 PM
  • sounds like what i had. all i did was burn the windows 7 disc onto a dvdrw disc and then it installed with no probs

always use the original microsoft products to prevent piracy

Friday, April 16, 2010 4:11 PM
  • i'm having the same issue with a Laptop, tried using a USB dvd burner, nothing, used, Vista,xp,win 7 still nothing, even used the 64 bit versions of each OS and still nothing, i'm pissed though, i changed the Hard drive from 200 gig to a 80 gig thinking it was the harddrive.
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 10:47 AM
  • the moment you burn the disk onto a dvdrw, it is already a piracy :|
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 7:26 AM
  • Not if you own a valid copy of it, and intend to use the new copy for your own personal use. It's when you give it to or take it from others without having already owned a copy that it is piracy.
    Monday, October 25, 2010 12:08 PM
  • People, seems like too many with the same scenario, throwing same error code to be a coincidence.

It's not your HDD, its not your RAM,CPU, infact its not your PC AT ALL.......

Do any of you remember WIN2000 ?? & how it was thrown out to the unknowing public as "THE newest,best , trouble -free OS Microsoft has ever produce " ???

What a P.O.S. it was with all the patches/fixes required just to get it to boot & then it wasn't compatible with almost all 3rd party devices..

Then , just as sudden, a couple months later XP OS was released & became the standard.

It's the same thing here, except Microsoft is screwing us with Vista instead of Win2000.

Its just a marketing tool for them to squeeze every dime they can out of you before they release the "REAL OS" they intended to, in this case its Windows 7, which as you know is a much better scripted/ more reliable,user friendly, all that B.S....  just my $.02

Thursday, November 11, 2010 9:10 AM
  • So how do you explain me getting the 0xc00000e9 error, when I'm running Windows 7? 

Sunday, November 14, 2010 8:41 AM
  • So how do you explain me getting the 0xc00000e9 error, when I'm running Windows 7? 

I've compaq presario v3641au and it comes with vista home premium. I want to install windows 7 when I try to boot from the dvd its troughs the same error and someone suggested that we have to burn the os dvd with minimum speed like 2x or 4x
    Friday, February 11, 2011 8:26 PM
  • It happened the same to me. Just one difference, I know my pc is perfectly fine since I've got ubuntu installed next to vista and it works great, as usual. Didnt manage to solve anything, so I think I'll remove vista definetely and say goodbye to microsoft forever!
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 5:22 PM
  • i have the same problem and i did the above but when i click repair computer nothing pops up and i get a blank screen
    Monday, February 21, 2011 7:51 PM
  • //
    // MessageId: STATUS_UNEXPECTED_IO_ERROR
    //
    // MessageText:
    //
    // If an I/O error is returned which is not defined in the standard FsRtl filter, it is converted to the following error which is guaranteed to be in the filter. In this case information is lost, however, the filter correctly handles the exception.
    //
    #define STATUS_UNEXPECTED_IO_ERROR       ((NTSTATUS)0xC00000E9 L)

use the recovery option and run chkdsk C: /r /f to fix NTFS issues.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 3:51 PM
  • My Windows 7 PC has started escalating a whole cascade of problems but the one pertinent to this thread is:

Windows Boot Manager

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred.

This will be the third/fourth time I have had to reinstall from DVD just to see the desktop only for it to develop new problems.

Now the question I have is WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
    Sure it advises unplugging a removable drive (none connected) or faulty hardware such as hard drive or CD-ROM drive (which all return error 0/0 when tested by the HW scan run from the install DVD.)

… and here I am scouring the internet for a solution only to discover a whole load of other people have asked the same question, told the same answers, and got the same results.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistahardware/thread/b2ff1f41-b7b1-4a28-b1a9-19117022c1e9/
    Suggest a registry problem - which might be the case since it did an "Auto Fail over… corrupt registry… " an error which could occur if power is cut before a proper shut-down / start-up is complete.

No I Am Not Pressing The Off Switch While The Computer Is Shutting Down Or Starting Up - this happens all by itself from me just following the steps as instructed by the installation process.

Solution: Sell this POC to some poor mug on eBay and Buy A Mac.
    I am sorry I cannot be any more helpful

Saturday, October 22, 2011 8:17 PM
  • I am currently running Windows Vista Ultimate 64.

I reboorted my computer today and got the following message:

"DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND HIT ENTER"

I did this and then I got the followig message:

"Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred. "

I've looked at the other "related" questions and don't feel that any of them apply because of the following:

1) There was no external USB device connected to my computer at the time

2) My HDD isn't failing based on the HDD diagnostics that I can run from a CD-ROM

3) My CD-ROM Drive isn't failing because of #2

4) I've updated my bios and that didn't fix the problem

5) My DVD-Rom is working fine since that is what I used for my Windows Vista

Any help would be appreciated.

This exact thing happened to me. It seems that the drive was faulty, & I say this because the internal DVD Drive continued to show this error on every try I've done with it. I used my external Slim Drive, & the error went away. No clue what the error was until I used my slim (external).

Not claiming to have the answer, but this dealt with my headache quite nicely. Hope this helps some others who run into this problem.

ps: The funny thing is... I still use the "faulty" drive to watch movies, & install stuff in windows. No clue what's happening to cause this, but it could be drive speed, or maybe some other crap. It doesn't show up as having any issues when tested from windows, but somehow the Install DVD reveals it.

I can see the end from here...

• Edited by _DTeCH_ Sunday, May 27, 2012 9:54 PM
    Sunday, May 27, 2012 9:48 PM
  • I was able to resolve this issue. My particular problem actually had to do with the  boot media I was using. I was using a standard Win 7 Pro disc. However, that was causing this error to occur no matter how many different hard disks I tried. Turns out that using a different DVD was the issue. Just burned an iso off of our e-open, and fired right up, first time. YMMV

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 8:17 PM
  • When I removed USB Keyboard, problem gone.

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 5:27 AM
  • I was getting this error too. Apparently, I was able to unplug, clear the dust from, and replug the wires connecting to my hard drive. Now, it's all set up and diagnosing, repairing, and doing everything properly. I had the exact same issue, though, like explorer.exe was messing up. I couldn't even run .jars (Java files)!
    Sunday, September 22, 2013 8:17 PM