none
Windows 7 - Media Player 12 - unable to stream/share additional folders

Question

• Sharing and streaming media folders over the internet via Windows 7 and Media Player 12, using your LiveID is great!

Still, when trying to share extra folders, I run into issues or in other words - can't share the content.

example: Sharing the default My Music folder (C:\Users\<User Name>\Music) is a piece of cake.

When I add additional folders to my Music library

Media Player > Organize > Manage libraries > Music 

and select M:\Music as an example, this will still nicely display all new content in my local Media Player instance.

Unfortunately this new content does not stream or share over the internet, using my LiveID for authentication.

My questions: Is that a know limitation? If not - what required settings am I missing? If it is - is there a workaround to still share additional media folders without installing any 3rd party tools?

I did some research but could not find any answers out there so far, so thank you for your feedback!

Thursday, March 15, 2012 9:47 PM

Answers

• try right clicking M:\Music, then properties, sharing, advanced sharing. give
    everyone read ability.

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 21:47:34 +0000, OzWanderer wrote:

>and select M:\Music as an example, this will still nicely display all new content in my local Media Player instance.
    >
    >Unfortunately this new content does not stream or share over the internet, using my LiveID for authentication.

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Monday, April 02, 2012 8:33 AM

All replies

• I haven't heard (yet?) of any way to share/stream folders using a LiveID. How exactly are you doing this and what is the name of that service? Have you tried repeating the same procedure for the M:\Music folder?

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk

Monday, March 19, 2012 8:28 PM
  • Hi Tim,

this article by Drew Williams describes how you may setup your sharing of media over the internet via Live ID:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/leave-the-house-but-not-your-media

If you follow these steps, you will be able to access your media from all PCs where you linked your Live ID to your login credentials. Remote machines will show in Windows Media Player with all shared media listed, provided that all shared data sits on system drive c:

And this is where the frustration begins. I am not surprised when users dump all their PC stuff and ask for something that 'just works' like a Mac (as far as the promise goes).

In theory, this type of sharing is just too good to be true and only requires Windows 7 installed - no 3rd party tools, but - as soon as you try sharing of data from another drive, this part of your library will just be ignored - not even an error message for the frustrated user. I guess, this is why I could not find much of a discussion going on about it. People just give it up after a while, expecting they had missed some way too complicated setting somewhere deep below in W7's file sharing guts. Well, they have not! In my opinion it is a pretty obvious bug in Windows 7 file sharing/streaming!

I would highly appreciate for someone within the MS Windows dev team to have a closer look at this, replicate the scenario and potentially come up with a workaround and long term a fix in one of the service packs.

Let me repeat the scenario one more time:

• 2 (or more) PCs connected via the internet, both running Win7
    • User on both machines linked to the same Live ID
    • Streaming of media via the internet enabled 
    • PC 1 is sharing a music library that contains folders on c:\users\... AND on d:\music...
    • Content shared from PC 1's C drive will appear on PC 2, the content on D will not show

I explained this for internet sharing, but in fact you will already face this issue within a local network. Streaming from drives outside of system drive c does not work. Hope that someone out there can proof me wrong!

ThanX4feedback

• Edited by OzWanderer Monday, April 02, 2012 7:12 AM link missing
    Monday, April 02, 2012 7:05 AM
  • try right clicking M:\Music, then properties, sharing, advanced sharing. give
    everyone read ability.

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 21:47:34 +0000, OzWanderer wrote:

>and select M:\Music as an example, this will still nicely display all new content in my local Media Player instance.
    >
    >Unfortunately this new content does not stream or share over the internet, using my LiveID for authentication.

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Monday, April 02, 2012 8:33 AM