none
Windows 8 - Missing Default tile apps

Question

• Windows 8 would not boot. So I ran a refresh. Well this worked however some issues occured after this.

C:\ permissions changed and I had to give them from command prompt, booting to CD. Now windows applications are loading properly now.

The only issue I have left is missing Windows Tiles. The default ones like skydrive, messenger, my computer, documents. They do not come up when you type to search either. Control panel I was able to get back by pinning the control.exe file. But this is quite the process for all apps.

I did notice however that c:\program files\windowsapps was missing completely. I have tried to copy this folder over from another windows 8 machine to see if this would help. Nothing. Even changing the permissions to everyone.

Is there any way to reload the windowsapps folder and tiles?

Friday, February 22, 2013 2:39 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, the system components seems damaged or broken. Since system refresh also not work, you may try to reset Windows 8 for test.

PC settings\general\remove everything and reinstall Windows

Leo Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:15 AM

All replies

• SFC /scannow was also attempted. With no luck.
    Also created a new user profile with no change.
    • Edited by doubledd2 Friday, February 22, 2013 4:48 PM update
    Friday, February 22, 2013 4:02 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, the system components seems damaged or broken. Since system refresh also not work, you may try to reset Windows 8 for test.

PC settings\general\remove everything and reinstall Windows

Leo Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 6:15 AM