none
Can't print or email at all in Quickbooks 2009 with Windows 7

Question

• I had to bring my computer back to factory settings, reinstall Windows 7 and then reinstall all my programs.  Now not even Print > PDF printer (from Adobe Professional) will work in Quickbooks.  Can't Save As PDF, can't print > PDF converter or Print > PDF printer and can't email PDF either.  I've tried everything I've found on these forums even where I posed previously but no one is answering.  I need to at least be able to Save as a PDF so I can email. 

Can someone please help?

Thank you.
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 1:13 AM

Answers

• Hi again,

It seems you are not alone, the following steps are how people solved their issues:

1. Click on the Windows Start button

2. Click on Control Panel

3. Click on Hardware and Sound or the Printer Icon

4. Right click on the PDF Converter

5. Click on Properties

6. Click on the Ports Tab (Please notice the Advanced tab as we will work with this one as well but not at this moment)

7. Click on the Add Port button

8. Highlight Local Port and then click on New Port

9. In the Port Name box type in NUL in the Enter a Port Name field. Then click OK

10. Close the Printer Port box

11. Make sure you see NUL port selected

12. Click Advanced tab

13. Make sure Spool Print Documents button is selected

14. Uncheck Enable Advanced Printing Features

15. Select Print Directly to the Printer

16. Make sure that the driver shown is the proper Converter.

17. Click Apply

18. Click OK

19. Restart Quickbooks

You can also visit here for detailed steps.

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, January 11, 2010 7:30 AM
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 10:36 AM
  • Hi Sculley,

Add to Magon's suggestion, please check if the issue only occurs in Quickbooks 2009. Please double check whether the printer works as expected with other programs, such as Microsoft Word, or another graphic processing application.

If the issue works in other programs, it is possible that the document/project which you have encountered the problem with has become partially corrupted and may impact the system when it prints. To check whether this is the case, please create a simple new document or project and try to print again. It is best if the newly created document/project does not contain any sources (such as clips or text) that you used in the previous document/project, since the source file might be the cause.

If the issue persists with other Quickbooks files as well, please contact Quickbooks Support who has more resources in troubleshooting their product to check this issue.

Regards,

Linda

Monday, January 11, 2010 7:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What happened before reinstalling windows 7? Was it the same issue?

According to windows 7 compatibility center, it seems only the QuickBooks 2009 Pro edition and QuickBooks 2009 Premier edition is compatible with windows 7.

Please understand there seems another application Adobe involved. Can you save\open\print PDF file without launching Quickbooks? If no either, I suggest contact Adobe support for direct assistance.

If this issue only occurs in Quickbooks 2009 and your version is compatible with windows 7, I would like to know if there is any error message or you can let us know the detailed symptoms. Did this occur to your previous operation system? What are the versions of both your previous operation system and windows 7?

To troubleshoot this issue, I suggest test it in clean boot.

This method will disable loading program or service from start up to avoid conflict

1. Click "Start",and type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the open box to start the System Configuration Utility.
    2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".
    4. Click "OK" to restart your computer to Selective Startup environment.
    5. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.
    6. Check whether or not the issue still appears in this environment. 

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 6:14 AM
  • Hi again,

It seems you are not alone, the following steps are how people solved their issues:

1. Click on the Windows Start button

2. Click on Control Panel

3. Click on Hardware and Sound or the Printer Icon

4. Right click on the PDF Converter

5. Click on Properties

6. Click on the Ports Tab (Please notice the Advanced tab as we will work with this one as well but not at this moment)

7. Click on the Add Port button

8. Highlight Local Port and then click on New Port

9. In the Port Name box type in NUL in the Enter a Port Name field. Then click OK

10. Close the Printer Port box

11. Make sure you see NUL port selected

12. Click Advanced tab

13. Make sure Spool Print Documents button is selected

14. Uncheck Enable Advanced Printing Features

15. Select Print Directly to the Printer

16. Make sure that the driver shown is the proper Converter.

17. Click Apply

18. Click OK

19. Restart Quickbooks

You can also visit here for detailed steps.

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 10:36 AM
  • Hi Sculley,

Add to Magon's suggestion, please check if the issue only occurs in Quickbooks 2009. Please double check whether the printer works as expected with other programs, such as Microsoft Word, or another graphic processing application.

If the issue works in other programs, it is possible that the document/project which you have encountered the problem with has become partially corrupted and may impact the system when it prints. To check whether this is the case, please create a simple new document or project and try to print again. It is best if the newly created document/project does not contain any sources (such as clips or text) that you used in the previous document/project, since the source file might be the cause.

If the issue persists with other Quickbooks files as well, please contact Quickbooks Support who has more resources in troubleshooting their product to check this issue.

Regards,

Linda

Monday, January 11, 2010 7:30 AM
  • Yes, it works with other programs.  I've been using it.  The QBs printer issue has been a known problem withe W7 update.  I don't think it's a corruption issue at all.  And, I can't even Save as PDF so I am not able to send customers invoices.....!!!  Please help.

I have tried contacting QB Support and have not received any responses.
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 2:09 PM
  • Hi Magon,  This is after trying everything suggested on this page.

Here's the error message after tying to email:

Printer not activated, error code - 41

Then: Could not print to printer.  Check your printer selection.  Printing may have been canceled from antoher program.

Here's the error message after tying to Save as PDF:

Printer not activated, error code - 30.

Then: Could not print to printer.  Check your printer selection.  Printing may have been canceled from antoher program.
    • Proposed as answer by try2be Wednesday, February 03, 2010 7:56 AM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 2:17 PM
  • Hi Scully -

Although QuickBooks 2009 may install and run on Windows 7 (64-bit), QuickBooks 2010 is the only version designed to run on Windows 7:
    http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/pages/knowledgebasearticle/898435

PDF Error -30: http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/pages/knowledgebasearticle/898700
    PDF Error -41: http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/pages/knowledgebasearticle/1007721

If everything else is working properly, you should only receive Error -41 the first time you try to "Save as PDF".  
    To resolve, click OK to the error and the following two error messages. 
    Without closing QuickBooks, try saving as a PDF again: File > Save as PDF (name it and save it to the Desktop).

The -41 error generally occurs after manually installing or reinstalling the QuickBooks PDF Converter 3.0 (QuickBooks 2009 & 2010). When you troubleshoot PDF’s, always start by saving the document as PDF to the Desktop.  Refrain from emailing until you have been successful saving as PDF.

To verifythat the issue is resolved, close QuickBooks, reboot the computer and try saving as PDF again. 
    If the PDF creation fails after rebooting, something in the reboot process (in Windows) is resetting.

To manually install the PDF Driver:

Click on Windows Start > Devices and Printers

Add Printer > Add a Local Printer

Select or create a NUL: local port

On the Install Printer Driver screen, click on the “Have Disk” button

Browse to the amyuni.inf in the QuickBooks installation directory (default location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks 2010\amyuni.inf)

Select amyuni.inf > OK

Name the PDF: QuickBooks PDF Converter 3.0

If you are still not able to Save as PDF, see these QuickBooks PDF References:

1. Unable to work with the PDF files after program update:
    http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/Pages/KnowledgeBaseArticle/898690

2. Problems creating PDF documents: http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/Pages/KnowledgeBaseArticle/1007856

3. QuickBooks 2010 and 2009 PDF Printer Problems with 64 Bit Systems: http://qbblog.ccrsoftware.info/2010/01/quickbooks-2010-and-2009-pdf-printer-problems-with-64-bit-systems/

Additional Information:

System transfer utilitis such as PC Mover, Rebit, IntelliMover, etc. have been known to cause problems with PDF creation in QuickBooks. Specifically Local Port creation.

These products are designed to move programs, data and settings from one computer to another.  These transferred settings are preventing local ports and the PDF driver from installing correctly and permanently. Some important areas of the registry may have been overwritten or modified with your "other" systems registry information.

The moving of old computer settings, directly affects the NUL: port installation/disappearance as well as PDF issues after reboot. It’s almost like the Local Port is being cached instead of writing the registry.

How does this affect PDF creation in QuickBooks…

1.  On Windows 64-bit, the NUL: port doesn't install automatically with the QuickBooks Installation

2. If you create a Printer Port “Local Port “ type manually, associate it with your driver (printer, PDF, etc.), reboot the computer and find that it's gone... the ports area of the registry has been damaged (modified from its original state).

Microsoft or the system transfer utility software manufacturer should be able to help you. Direct their (support) attention to the "Local Port" creation and retention in Windows . If you mention printer brand, PDF, QuickBooks, Amyuni, etc. … they will bounce you back to one of the previously mentioned products support line. The problem is in the registry, period.

Good Luck - I hope this helps.

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 8:04 AM
  • After working with www.amyuni.com technical support, we got this working so that in QuickBooks Premier 2010 I can print to .pdf, email an invoice, etc.  It works fine, consistently UNTIL I reboot.  Then it breaks again like I didn't do anything to fix it.  I have narrowed it down to this one point:  my NUL: port is getting deleted at reboot time and this is absolutely necessary for it to work.  Does anyone know why it is getting deleted at reboot?  I am 99% sure my account has admin privileges.  I have an ASUS G72GX Series laptop, if that makes a difference, running Windows 7 (64-bit).

After I reboot and it breaks (because the NUL: port is no longer there), if I try to print in QuickBooks, it hangs.  You'll notice that the QuickBooks PDF Converter 3.0 (which uses the Amyuni Document Converter 400 as the driver) has a document in its queue that doesn't print.  To unhang QuickBooks, go to Task Manager, delete the splwow64.exe process (note:  it is normally ok to leave this process running all the time) or simply kill the QuickBooks process.

To get it working again so that it will print (until you reboot), delete the document in the QuickBooks PDF Converter 3.0 queue that won't print, delete the device called QuickBooks PDF Converter 3.0, and reinstall it.  You'll see that the NUL: port is created, as it should be.  (NOTE:  it is NOT necessary to do the step, mentioned above (and on Intuit's site), to clear the box called "enable advanced printing features.  It works even if it is checked.)

Friday, February 12, 2010 6:56 PM
  • The problem is actually when the Windows print spooler starts. (Restart the print spooler from services.msc and watch the NUL: port disappear!) I think it might have to do with the local port print monitor (localspl.dll) but I don't know how to fix it, so I have to manually create the NUL: port whenever the I start the computer.

I started getting the error after using PCMover to move from a 32bit XP to a 64bit Windows 7.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:56 PM
  • Quickbooks was able to get the PDF printer working using the NUL: port, but the port disappears when the computer is rebooted. This is a windows 7 ultimate 64 bit system, upgraded from Vista 64. Quickbooks 9 R11 has been reinstalled. The kluge fix is applied and it works great until reboot. Never worked in Vista. Senior Quickbooks support said downgrade to 32 bit, or contact Microsoft, as the 64 bit operating system is not saving the configuration on reboot. They did not recommend an upgrade to QB 10. Any thoughts?
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 2:42 PM
  • I am running QB2010 Professional Services on Windows 7 64 bit and just today all of my printers stopped working. Prior to this everything has worked fine since January. I uninstalled QB and reloaded from my CD. After the reinstall, product information shows Release R 1P.

I was running with automatic update on and it seems that an update may have broken my printers. When I reinstalled I declined the update, and immediately turned automatic update off. Everything seems to be working fine now. Perhaps the culprit is the R5 release.
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 1:52 PM
  • I've come across this error as well.  Go to 'Printers and Devices' and make sure Microsoft XPS printer is populated. 

If not, reinstall the XPS printer.

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 9:46 PM