none
Recover Backup from external hard drive.

Question

• HI, I took backup of my files and settings from my previous XP Home Edition and stored it on external hard drive.
    I have files IMG00001.DAT, IMG00002.DAT, IMG00003.DAT, IMG00004.DAT, IMG00005.DAT, IMG00006.DAT, IMG00007.DAT, IMG00008.DAT files saved on my external harddrive of 14.6 Gb.

I formatted my system and installed Windows 7.
    When I tried to transfer my files it failed. After that I reinstalled my xp home edition and tried to recover my files but not able to do so.

I request you all for any help.

Regards,
    Raj
    • Moved by Andy Song Thursday, July 23, 2009 6:44 AM Windows XP data recovery issue (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 5:59 PM

Answers

• Dear Railmonkey1,

I am thankful to you for your suggestion and it worked well. I got all my almost lost data after 6 months.

You can imagine how happy I am.

Please accept loads of thanks from me. As you saved my 11 years of work.

Best Regards,

Razoo
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:28 PM

All replies

• Those dat files probably are incompatible with 7, try using easy file transfer which you will obtain from 7 and  install on xp, then make a transfer file from xp and load it on to 7.
    midnight rambler is now "Mr. Seven"
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 6:19 PM
  • Dear Mr. Seven,

I tried that too it transferred all the files as it is  in the form of .DAT files on to windows 7.

While I need to extract my important files and data from these .DAT files.

Regards,

Raj
    Friday, July 17, 2009 6:38 AM
  • This is not much of a solution but a bit of advice. Always back up your documents as normal files and folders becouse I have seen in XP .bkf files have at times failed to extract via NT backup with no way to extract them. I have seen systems with corrupt settings to be stored in backup files and loaded back to the system. For this reason windows now does not store certain settings in backups. Easy transfer files are similar to .bkf files and can load corrupt data or fail to extract as I have witnessed in the past so it is always a good idea to make uncompressed bakups of your most important documents with something like xcopy utility or explorer especially before formating for clean install.
    Mr. Seven was here 2009.
    Friday, July 17, 2009 1:25 PM
  • Yeah, you are right. But now that I have made a mistake there is little I can do. But will take utmost care next time.

I will appreciate if you can help me your hand through any of your contacts.

Regards,

Raj
    Friday, July 17, 2009 3:00 PM
  • Having the exact same problem and would also like a solution. This sucks.

Friday, August 21, 2009 12:19 AM
  • I had same issue, trick is to do windows transfer and save to desktop - backup any files just to create the folder on your desktop. Then transfer over your old backup files from your external hard drive (except the status file) overwriting whatever is in the current desktop file and then do a restore using the same wizard to point to the desktop folder. Can't recall the folder name, something like USMT2.UNC. Must be a desktop folder in order to work.
    Monday, November 23, 2009 5:04 PM
  • With a new user account I prefer to transfer raw documents with out easy transfer or even a saved user profile and reconfigure my personal settings manually. This way there is no possability of error or data loss. People complain about this but the truth is with Windows 7 it is easy to configure personal settings and it does not take nearly as much time as with XP.

Seasons greetings!
    Monday, November 23, 2009 6:22 PM
  • Dear Railmonkey1,

I am thankful to you for your suggestion and it worked well. I got all my almost lost data after 6 months.

You can imagine how happy I am.

Please accept loads of thanks from me. As you saved my 11 years of work.

Best Regards,

Razoo
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:28 PM
  • Why not just burn your files to a disc, and reload them after upgrading to 7?.  Thats what I do, as I do not trust file tranfer when upgrading system, I like a clean install.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 2:20 PM
  • Hi... im in urgent need to get my files back on to windows 7. I may sound slightly retarded here but how do i "do windows transfer and save to desktop - backup any files just to create the folder on your desktop"

It sounds simple but when i do a easy windows transfer the DAT files dont show and can only open the USMT2.UNC folder cant transfer it...

I might as well ask about how to do a restore while im here as well because i know that looking like a question i'll be asking sooner than later.

I tried chaging the DAT Fils to MIGS and that didnt work either!!! in need of HELP

Craig

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 2:28 AM
  • I had same issue, trick is to do windows transfer and save to desktop - backup any files just to create the folder on your desktop. Then transfer over your old backup files from your external hard drive (except the status file) overwriting whatever is in the current desktop file and then do a restore using the same wizard to point to the desktop folder. Can't recall the folder name, something like USMT2.UNC. Must be a desktop folder in order to work.

Hello

I have done as you describe here, but am unable to get this to work.

What i did was: Open Windows Easy Transfer (win 7)

Made small transfer/backup, and saved the file on the desktop named:Windows Easy Transfer - Items from old computer.MIG

NOw what? Where do i put the IMG0001.DAT files? Must I rename them? i cannot place in the desktop file/folder i just created without renaming them?

What I did try was to rename them extensions to .MIG, after a long time I get this error: Windows Easy Transfer Couldn't Open The File..

Please help. I am stuck with 6 gigs of data on Windows 7 from Windows XP files and transfer wizard, and cannot open them.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 9:25 PM
  • Hello Razoo,

You can repair inaccessible or corrupt bkf files and stored your crucial data in system with the help of RecoveryFix for BackUp Software. The tool provides the ability to repair BKF file from damaged backup database and restore BKF file in Windows 7 or Windows 8, the tool also available for free download. For more information about software visit :- http://www.restorebkf.net/

Thanks

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 6:33 AM