none
no speedstep under windows 7 rc (intel pentium m 740)

Question

• on my asus a6va speedstep does not work. the cpu is locked at 1,7GHz.
    I've already  tried vista drivers but nothing works.

cpu:            intel pentium m 740 1,73GHz.
    mainboard:  asustek computer inc.
    chipset:       i915pm/gm

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 1:08 PM

Answers

• Finally found what it was!  I have MSI 1719 Barebones laptop with a core 2 duo T7700 Geforce 8600M.  For some reason I had to dissable speed step in the bios to get it to boot.  It crashes right ater the windows logo is done animating, BSOD (non descriptive, 4 hex codes).  I was in the middle of RC setup and it wasn't booting into setup until I dissabled speed step, luckily I got in and setup completed.  I tried re-enabling it after installation but it still caused the crash.  I couldn't figure out why 7beta was crashing on me every time I had to reboot (until repair or restore which for some reason allowed it to boot into speed step OKAY) but it seems to be related to intel speed step being enabled (i wish I realized sooner it would have saved a lot of lost files/time).  I would definitely like to be able to use this processor feature on my latptop to save batery power.  Perhaps I just need to install the correct CPU driver from intel or something or upgrade a driver to get it booting when speed step is on unless its some other issue.  Win7 RC looks great!  (i did the upgrade from win7 beta instead of fresh, so this could be a caryover problem if it would use the same drivers as before for some reason).  
    • Marked as answer by axfelix Monday, June 29, 2009 3:42 PM
    Monday, June 29, 2009 1:56 PM

All replies

• Same Laptop, same problem. Also tried several drivers (ATK0100), nothing helps!

Problems already occured on Windows 7 Beta.

(Why can't I write posts with IE8 (Win7); I had to use Firefox to write this; IE8 always sends me to my user profile).
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 1:53 PM
  • i have now found that in battery mode the cpu is clocked at 800 MHz.
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 3:06 PM
  • MacBethSK and Mattikim:

Right click on the battery icon in the system tray, and select "Power Options". Next to whatever plan you are using, click "Change plan settings". In that window, click "Change advanced power settings". In that window, scroll down to "Processor power management". What does it say under "Minimum processor state" and "Maximum processor state"? Hopefully changing these settings will allow you to better manage the clock speed that your CPU runs at.

-Nick

Sunday, May 24, 2009 4:58 PM
  • @Nick FV:

5% and 70%. It's not the settings, they are all okay...
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 9:42 AM
  • 1. select the  high performance power plan option as Nick Fv implied.

2. If this option is controlled by an Asus Utility, you'll need to install those in compatibility mode as Asus only supported this machine to Win XP.

Right click the installation file-select troubleshoot compatibility- and follow the dialog boxes.

Also, Win 7 RC needed to be installed as a clean installation. Sometimes, the drive needed to wiped first-partition deleted-new partition created and formatted.

What happened? Did you resolve the issue?
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 12:20 PM
  • Currently I have no Asus utility for power schemes installed. Because they don't work.

However, I tried to install it once again as you suggested me to do. It's name is Power4Gear. There is an XP version which I installed but it doesn't work, neither with your instructions. The installation works fine but there is no autostart and the programm can't be started manually. There is a new version of Power4Gear - "Extreme" - which was desgined for Windows Vista and runs well under Windows 7. But the programm is unable to change the processor speed under Windows 7, at least on my computer.

I installed 7 Beta and 7 RC as clean, new installations.

There are 4 utilities of ASUS for notebooks:

1. ATK Driver (ATK0100): Seems to be the most important driver but I don't know exactly what it is for
    2. ATK OSD2: These are the display signs which appear if you decrease volume or if you increase LCD brightness etc.
    3. ATK Hotkey: To use your shortcut buttons on your keyboard
    4. Power4Gear: Power schemes

I have 1-3 installed and all of them are the most recent versions. I also tried to install the XP versions, the latest ones officially published for my A6V but they don't work neither.

Thank you for your help!

P.S.: My laptop nearly always freezes when I resume from standby.

Monday, June 15, 2009 11:41 AM
  • Oh, yes! Another very interesting thing: After I uninstalled the ATK utilities and reinstalled them with compatibility mode, Windows 7 told me after the obligatory restart that a core component of Windows 7 was changed and I had to type in a new key and had to activate Windows once again.
    Monday, June 15, 2009 11:44 AM
  • Finally found what it was!  I have MSI 1719 Barebones laptop with a core 2 duo T7700 Geforce 8600M.  For some reason I had to dissable speed step in the bios to get it to boot.  It crashes right ater the windows logo is done animating, BSOD (non descriptive, 4 hex codes).  I was in the middle of RC setup and it wasn't booting into setup until I dissabled speed step, luckily I got in and setup completed.  I tried re-enabling it after installation but it still caused the crash.  I couldn't figure out why 7beta was crashing on me every time I had to reboot (until repair or restore which for some reason allowed it to boot into speed step OKAY) but it seems to be related to intel speed step being enabled (i wish I realized sooner it would have saved a lot of lost files/time).  I would definitely like to be able to use this processor feature on my latptop to save batery power.  Perhaps I just need to install the correct CPU driver from intel or something or upgrade a driver to get it booting when speed step is on unless its some other issue.  Win7 RC looks great!  (i did the upgrade from win7 beta instead of fresh, so this could be a caryover problem if it would use the same drivers as before for some reason).  
    • Marked as answer by axfelix Monday, June 29, 2009 3:42 PM
    Monday, June 29, 2009 1:56 PM
  • nipponqq,

For what it's worth, upgrading from the Windows 7 Beta to the Windows 7 RC is not supported, but I'm glad you've sorted your problem all the same! Intel SpeedStep should definitely be working in later releases of Windows 7, and judging from the relatively low number of problems reported with using it in the RC, I'm willing to bet that it was your upgrade problem which caused this.
    -Alex
    Monday, June 29, 2009 3:45 PM
  • @Alex, why are you marking nipponqq's post as the answer?

I mean, he has a totally different problem than MacBethSK and I have.

I still have the problem even though I uninstalled all ATK0100 and Intel chipset drivers some days ago (had to reboot several times to get them all out). I thought that a clean driver installation like this would solve it. It didn't.

At least I have a clean RC installation.

Mattikim

Monday, June 29, 2009 4:08 PM
  • MacBethSK and Mattikim,
    It appears that the Pentium m740 (specs) only has Execute Disable Bit and SpeedStep as advanced technologies. Since speedstep is controlled by the BIOS, getting a newer BIOS or one to work with Win 7 is where the answer lies.

There is no BIOS availble from ASUS for the A6VA for Vista. I would contact ASUS support and ask for a BIOS for Vista. If they cannot provide one, it's an XP computer or a non-speedstep computer with Win 7.

Good Luck.

PS axfelix...nipponqq's issue is a different computer and should have been a new thread. There is a Vista BIOS for the MSI 1719, which may allow the speedstep to be enabled in Win 7. The version was not checked. Turning it off is a work-around, not an answer. The ASUS machines do not have an answer.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 12:02 AM
  • I have the same problem on my Asus A3800G. I have installed the Rightmark CPU Clock Utility as a workaround (http://cpu.rightmark.org). (It has to be started with admin rights.)
    Monday, September 28, 2009 10:23 AM
  • So me too (cf. http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/thread/f4d56c36-ca9b-4aa2-b628-abeb511426c4 );
    And so this one too : http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/b28d593d-1edb-494b-988c-8f7e92e751ca
    I use CrystalCpuID to "perform" automatic EIST, but it also needs UAC confirmation and is a temporary aside solution.
    I really waiting for a true driver solution (Intel ? MS ? Asus ? )
    Pentium M 755 2GHz FSB 400 s479, Chip are Intel 82855PM / 82801DBM.
    I also post to Intel community : http://communities.intel.com/thread/7712;jsessionid=CCBDBF716F133D5801B8C3A5B8EB2828.node5COMS?tstart=0
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 10:20 AM
  • Dude76,
    Intel ended support on this product with XP. here.   The 900 series chipsets is where they start support. I would not hold my breath waiting for drivers. Workarounds are what you need to use. StefanKraft appears to provided one that works.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 12:10 PM
  • Thx for your reply :)
    I read these pages on Intel's website few days ago, but my english is not very good, so i wasn't sure it is/was a definitive ended support.
    I understand of course needs of such decision, but i really can't be agree as far EIST perfectly works under XP, is announced supported by Seven and simply not working at all under it :/ .
    I have already noticed this software (rightmark), and also that somes have encountered problems with (so why i specified the existens of CrystalCpuId), but i didn't try it yet (soonly).
    Nevermind, thx :)
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:04 PM