none
dns server

Question

• windows 7 dns server not responding even after doing the things which is answered above
    Saturday, August 25, 2012 8:35 AM

Answers

• Please tell us more information about the issue.

What’s symptom bout the issue?

Are you in the domain environment?

What methods have you tried to resolve this issue?

I would suggest you to use the static DNS to troubleshoot the issue.

1. Click "Start", input "NCPA.CPL" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.

2. Right click on the connection that you use for the local connection, and then click "Properties".

3. Click to select "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)", and then click "Properties".

4. In the Internet Protocol window, let's change the "Preferred DNS server" to 208.67.222.222

5. Click 'OK' twice to complete the modification.

If the issue persists, please repeat the steps and change the "Preferred DNS server" to 208.67.220.220.

Meanwhile, I would appreciate your help in clarifying that if the network is based on a router or a DSL modem. If there is a router, please bypass it and connect to DSL modem directly for a test.

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, August 30, 2012 7:30 AM
    Monday, August 27, 2012 6:49 AM
  • Hi,

As per Tracy, you can proceed by manually entering the DNS information of OpenDNS into your system. (I do not recommend this however for people with dynamic Internet IP's as there is a chance that you could end up bound to someone else's DNS filtration policy as dynamic IP's change all the time and we have no way of telling who used what IP..

My advice to you would be to pay attention to why the DHCP element between the host and the modem/router is not functioning properly.

Try:

1 - Open command prompt as Administrator by clicking on Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > (Right Click) Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator

2 - Run the following command: netsh winsock reset   and press enter

3 - Reboot the PC

4 - When rebooted as per Step 1, Open command prompt in Admin mode

5 - Run the following command: ipconfig /flushdns

Now re-try your internet connection again (you may have to reboot so if it doesnt work straight off, reboot)

If all of that fails, you need to look at your modem/router next, the ISP (internet company) should be able to assist via their helpline at this point.

Kind Regards,

Martin

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)

Monday, August 27, 2012 11:39 PM

All replies

• Sorry to say but I do not see DNS server functionality in Wiindows 7.

Saturday, August 25, 2012 10:32 AM
  • Please tell us more information about the issue.

What’s symptom bout the issue?

Are you in the domain environment?

What methods have you tried to resolve this issue?

I would suggest you to use the static DNS to troubleshoot the issue.

1. Click "Start", input "NCPA.CPL" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.

2. Right click on the connection that you use for the local connection, and then click "Properties".

3. Click to select "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)", and then click "Properties".

4. In the Internet Protocol window, let's change the "Preferred DNS server" to 208.67.222.222

5. Click 'OK' twice to complete the modification.

If the issue persists, please repeat the steps and change the "Preferred DNS server" to 208.67.220.220.

Meanwhile, I would appreciate your help in clarifying that if the network is based on a router or a DSL modem. If there is a router, please bypass it and connect to DSL modem directly for a test.

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 27, 2012 6:49 AM
  • Hi,

As per Tracy, you can proceed by manually entering the DNS information of OpenDNS into your system. (I do not recommend this however for people with dynamic Internet IP's as there is a chance that you could end up bound to someone else's DNS filtration policy as dynamic IP's change all the time and we have no way of telling who used what IP..

My advice to you would be to pay attention to why the DHCP element between the host and the modem/router is not functioning properly.

Try:

1 - Open command prompt as Administrator by clicking on Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > (Right Click) Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator

2 - Run the following command: netsh winsock reset   and press enter

3 - Reboot the PC

4 - When rebooted as per Step 1, Open command prompt in Admin mode

5 - Run the following command: ipconfig /flushdns

Now re-try your internet connection again (you may have to reboot so if it doesnt work straight off, reboot)

If all of that fails, you need to look at your modem/router next, the ISP (internet company) should be able to assist via their helpline at this point.

Kind Regards,

Martin

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)

Monday, August 27, 2012 11:39 PM