Change Color of Tiles -- Windows 8.1 Preview

General discussion

• So, 8.1 definitely seems easier to use and much more concise but -- and I don't want to be that guy -- who decided these horrid tile colors. I mean, really! All my personal application tiles have turned the ugliest orange I have ever seen. Also, the tile colors are so close to the colors of the icons they seem to blend into the tile. I could understand icons from third-party apps doing something like that but even Microsoft Office icons are doing it. Now, the new features are great and all but if I cant even look at my start screen without getting a headache what is the point.  And anyway, why can't I personalize tile colors?  Really, why?  If anyone knows of a way please let me know.  In the mean time I am going back to 8, please fix this annoying issue before the release.  Please....
    Friday, June 28, 2013 6:32 PM

All replies

• I am guessing what you mean by tile colors is actually the background of the start screen and the tile color accents. These settings have been moved from the usual PC settings to the new charms bar. However you have to be on the Start Screen page to access these.

1. Open Start Screen.

2. Open Charms bar (Windows key + C)

3. Click settings > Personalize

You have your backgrounds, background colors and the accent colors. Hope this helps.

Friday, June 28, 2013 8:22 PM
  • No.  When I referred  to accent color I was commenting on how wp8 changes the color of all default tile colors to the accent color.  What I am looking for is a method of changing the color of the actual tiles on the start page in Windows 8.1 OS.  Changing the accent color in the setting > personalize area only changes the color of the background accent on the start page, it has no effect on the tile colors.

• Edited by CurtisJTrobaugh Friday, June 28, 2013 8:54 PM Did not let me post screen shot
    Friday, June 28, 2013 8:53 PM
  • Yep, I have the same issue as well.  I'm hoping that it's just because it the preview version.  Also, I don't seem to be able to customize the size of the apps very well.  

The games in the picture can only be medium or small.  I've had a little look around but can't find anything to control it.

I guess it's time to start hacking away in regedit!

Friday, June 28, 2013 10:45 PM
  • Who decided on that orange to.  I mean you couldn't change the color in windows 8 either but at least the colors didn't make you want to punch your monitor.  If you find the key to modify or add in the registry to change the default colors for these apps let me know.  Studying for Secruity+ certification and don't have time to play around unfortunately.
    Friday, June 28, 2013 11:40 PM
  • It seems to be blending colors from the icon to use as the background - I have cerise, fuchsia, chartreuse, and a variety of other monstrously disgusting colors which are as hard to look at as they are to spell!  It makes it extremely hard to find my icons since they blend into the backgrounds in some cases.  My start screen now looks like it was colored by a chimpanzee with the 150 color telescoping crayon tower pack Crayola Mega Pack.

Buena Vista

Sunday, June 30, 2013 2:32 AM
  • try decor8 app by stardock
    Wednesday, July 03, 2013 11:34 AM
  •     ty
    Monday, August 05, 2013 11:49 AM
  • MSFT answers it here:

Is it possible to change tile colors in Windows 8 like on WP8.

http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/The-Defrag-Show/Defrag-Tile-Colors-Icon-Overlays-Logon-Without-a-Password#time=04m40s

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Monday, August 05, 2013 6:04 PM
  • From what I see, v1.05 of Decor8 isn't doing it in Win8.1 RTM. I've asked Stardock about this on Wincustomize.

Update: Per Decor8's Author - "Regarding Decor8, any complaints regarding the tile colours would need to go to Microsoft as they actively broke that capability. "

So, in a nutshell, Decor8 will not address this.

• Edited by DuaneMiller Thursday, September 19, 2013 10:00 PM added info
    Thursday, September 12, 2013 1:14 AM