none
Fax & Scan can't see my scanner

Question

• Until I started testing Win 7, I used a prehistoric copy of Winfax Pro.  It "just worked".

I have an oldish Agfa Snapscan 1212, which works fine with Win 7.  I use it with Paint Shop Pro and for OCR - with no problems.   "Device Manager" and "Scanners and Cameras" report it as present and working correctly - but "Fax & Scan" insists I don't have a scanner.   Since the "Help" screen takes me to Scanners and Cameras which tells me I do, I'm stumped.

I thought of cheating by scanning with Paint Shop Pro, and then faxing a JPEG, but I've been warned that Fax & Scan sends the JPEG as if it were a text file - hence producing a few hundred pages of gibberish at the far end.  I'm not going to annoy people by doing that.

I've not tried installing Winfax Pro - yet.   It's a year 2000 version, and I'd have expected not to need it any more.   Before I do (if Win 7 will let me) does anyone know how to persuade Fax & Scan to see the scanner that's there?
    • Edited by KeithjUK Monday, July 20, 2009 10:34 PM typos
    Monday, July 20, 2009 10:32 PM

Answers

• The new Canon LIDE scanner arrived, and is an excellent piece of kit.  
    With it came a software package over 100MB in size.   In there is a fax utility that works.   Problem solved. 
    • Marked as answer by KeithjUK Friday, January 29, 2010 6:24 PM
    Friday, January 29, 2010 6:22 PM

All replies

• Sounds like you have problems with TWAIN. Those are the drivers that enables your to communicate with some hardware like scanners and some cameras. I would try to update those and see if you can get it to work.
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 11:39 AM
  • No, Twain's fine.   Paint Shop Pro and Microsoft Office Document Imaging both work well, using Twain to the Agfa scanner.   I don't think "Fax & Scan" knows where to look for Twain Dwivers.
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 9:04 AM
  • Well, I've plugged away at this problem over the past 6 weeks, and every other item of software on the machine sees the USB scanner and its TWAIN drivers.   Fax & Scan still keeps telling me I don't have a scanner.

Can anyone suggest a fix?
    Sunday, August 09, 2009 6:49 PM
  • I have the exact problem as well.
    I have tried 3 scanners and all their software sees and uses the scanner, I now have paperport installed and scanner works with it, but Fax & scan says I do not have a scanner.
    I have a Canon 5000F as my prefered scanner, I tried an HP and an Epson and neither work with Fax & Scan, yet they all work with Paperport.

The scanners work fine on XP fax program.

Hope someone comes up with a fix, as this could be the end to Win 7 for me, unless I can find some fax software that in compatible with Win 7.
    I also used to use Winfax Pro but it started to give some hangs and bugs with Outlook which I also need, and now its no longer available, Pity it was the best Fax software on the market, till its clashes with Outlook.

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!

Wish we could run Win 7 RTM or get a copy, need to do some more serious testing before I can recommend it to my clients.
    I am a consultant, and have been in IT for many years and my reputation is important to me to do the correct recomendations.
    I slammed Vista and hopefully we now have something that seems reasonable, and will not cause end user frustration.
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 3:50 PM
  • I have the same problem with a canon lide 20 and I do not have the answer, but i have found out that Fax and Scan does not use TWAIN it uses other technology Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) API. See the following Microsoft site.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-scanning-problems

Sunday, November 01, 2009 7:17 AM
  • Thank you - yes, that's the answer.   Microsoft can't make Fax & Scan work with Twain scanners.  

I'll stop waiting for the fix and see if I can get Winfax Pro to work with Wndows 7.  That's the second "failure" in what I thought would be simple applications.   Win 7 Home Premium can't do Remote Desktop either, and I'm using a freeware add-on for that.

Win 7 is an excellent product, a fine ship "spoiled for a ha'porth of tar".
    Sunday, November 01, 2009 7:34 PM
  • Yes, I agree with you. Win Fax is a possible but LexusLen is right it causes problems with outlook and symantec have abandoned it.

No one has come up with any valid solution to the problem and no Scanner reseller or manufacturer has a compatible scanner or driver.
    Brian Bucky did not realy answer the question and I looked on the link he gave but found no solution.

Maybe Microsoft should answer the question? or maybe they do not want to.......!!!

Anyone out there with some real answers or a solution.

I also use a canon scanner and have also tried other scanners.

Come on Microsoft, lets make Windows 7 the top system and regain your name once more.
    Monday, November 30, 2009 9:40 PM
  • If you are using WIN X64 then it most probably is a driver issue. Try finding and installing a x86 driver.. I had a very similar problem with a scx 420 (Samsung) all in one fax scanner etc. When I fist installed the device it installed the x64 bit drivers... no-way did the software find the scanner. However someone at Samsung was kind enough to publish a universal x86 driver complete with install package for win7.. it installed now I see the scanner just fine. BTW don't bother downloading a normal xp driver package WIN 7 x64 will not allow the install.. I'm working on how to create the INF file but need a little help. Im having another problem with an older Okidata 320 but OKIDATA does not publish X 86 package for win7 yet!!! I'll have to nag at them some more.. Why driver publisher did-not include the x86 drivers with x64 I don't know! Cheers        
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 1:09 AM
  • After yet more research, I have the answer.

Windows 7 Fax & Scan will NOT work with TWAIN devices.  Period.  End of discussion.
    It works only with a Microsoft-proprietary scanner interface.  As far as I can ascertain, there are NO (zero) scanner devices on sale in the UK that use that interface.

Windows Fax & Scan is vapourware.

I'm now working on how to get Winfax Pro (1997 vintage IIRC) to work under Windows 7.   I don't use fax enough to pay out good money for anything newer.
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 1:19 AM
  • Can you scan with office or live gallery and attach image to Fax.
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 7:25 PM
  • I've never scanned with Office - no idea how to.   I don't have live gallery (or if I do, I don't know about it).

I can scan with Paint Shop Pro and save the result as a .JPG.   Maybe WF&S should fax that - I dunno.   Whenever I try, WF&S crashes and I have to do the Ctrl-Alt-Del thing to shut it down.

Even if it didn't crash, it seems a very long-way-around to fax a document, though.   I expected to put a document in the scanner, click a button or two, and enter the fax number to send it to.   That's what i did with Winfax Pro.
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 9:52 PM
  • Further diagnosis.   WF&S can't handle .JPG files.   Indeed, it seems not to be able to fax at all.

I tried to find a way (any way) to send a fax.  I started by trying to fax a document from the scanner, created as a .JPG using Paint Shop Pro.
    Instead of starting with "File - Open" to pick the scan (which immediately crashes WF&S), I started with "New Fax".

"New Fax" took something like a minute before the "Cover Sheet" opened up ready for input.   I selected the .JPG I'd just scanned.
    It informed me that the only file type it knows about is .TIF

I tried to fax a .TIF instead.

Several minutes after clicking the "Send" button, it popped up telling me the TIF resolution wasn't consistent with the other attachments to the fax.  There weren't any other attachments, unless it meant the .JPG it had rejected, but I'd removed that from the attachment box.

I closed down and restarted WF&S.   New Fax again took about a minute to open.  I then typed a short test message and tried to fax it.
    When I pressed "Send", a message appeared "Submitting fax to queue".   That stayed there for about two minutes, then I got an error message that the fax could not be sent because "The wait option timed out."

WinFax Pro may be old, but it doesn't mess around with queues.  It just connects to the faxmodem and sends the fax.

I'm abandoning this process - life's too short.   I'm going to see if I can persuade it to let Winfax Pro install and run.  I think turning off UAC may make that work.

Wednesday, December 02, 2009 10:34 PM
  • I also have a similar problem

have been using Winfax pro [ and still am ] since 1995 on a series of MS op systems
    v 10.04 wont work on Vista as u know and from my experience will only work on my XP virtual Pc on  x64 w7 ultimate

it's a disgrace that MS does not have a functional program equivalent to this very old and useful program

My fax database is very valuable and I constantly search In and Out boxes by key words for faxed contracts spanning 15 years.

____ ____ ____

does anyone know of a better prog than MS fax - Winfax Pro was dumped by Symantec years ago but I know a lot of people who have not upgraded their OS because of this issue

GRRRRRRRRRRRR
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 4:11 AM
  • I gave up on the scanner route - I could not find a single scanner with the MS scan method.   Everything on the market in Europe uses Twain.

WinFax Pro won't work with Windows 7.  I do have an old XP PC with WinFax still installed, and can send faxes with that.   But keeping a museum piece just because MS can't sort their fax utility seems silly.   I need the desk and floor space!

There are some online fax services, available for a fee.   They work, but it seems a very roundabout way to get to a simple fax function and should not be necessary.
    There are some fax software packages on sale, but at silly prices. 
    My local shop has a fax-and-telephone machine for sale for £19.99 (about $35).   I might just buy one of those.

As you say, GRRRRRR.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:12 PM
  • I gave up on the scanner route - I could not find a single scanner with the MS scan method.   Everything on the market in Europe uses Twain.

WinFax Pro won't work with Windows 7.  I do have an old XP PC with WinFax still installed, and can send faxes with that.   But keeping a museum piece just because MS can't sort their fax utility seems silly.   I need the desk and floor space!

There are some online fax services, available for a fee.   They work, but it seems a very roundabout way to get to a simple fax function and should not be necessary.
    There are some fax software packages on sale, but at silly prices. 
    My local shop has a fax-and-telephone machine for sale for £19.99 (about $35).   I might just buy one of those.

As you say, GRRRRRR.

I've used the Win7 Fax & Scan exactly once.

The fax feature can send MS Word documents, and some other types. (I failed to find a list.) I have a flatbed scanner without a document feeder, so generating a multipage document was slow, but it worked fine. (Using TWAIN drivers.)

I did it partly because my scanner is attached to a desktop PC, which has no modem. I created the Word doc on it, and faxed it from the notebook.

If you can tolerate that level of clunkiness, it's a free solution.

Friday, January 15, 2010 12:00 AM
  • Man what is it with some folks, READ and learn something.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx

If your device is NOT on the list you should expect it NOT TO WORK.

If you have a device designed for win 7 it works.

Friday, January 15, 2010 2:37 AM
  • With Winfax, It is NOT a device issue it is a MAPI issue that stops Winfax Pro working with Vista/Win 7

It runs quite well on my Win 7 x64 Ultimate Windows  Virtual PC with Windows XP mode [ which is why Win 7 has been flogged with this feature ]

at least I can search my old data bases

Friday, January 15, 2010 3:53 AM
  • BTW my Canoscan LIDE 25 was useless with Win 7 - USB v 1 issue probably
    Friday, January 15, 2010 3:56 AM
  • Man what is it with some folks, READ and learn something.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx

If your device is NOT on the list you should expect it NOT TO WORK.

If you have a device designed for win 7 it works.

Tell me, then:  which scanner WILL work with Fax & Scan?  Thus far, I haven't been able to find a single scanner on the European market that uses the "non-Twain" setup in WF&S.  I've done a lot of READING and a fair bit of learning, but I still don't know the answer to my question.
    Are all the 256 scanners listed in that link compatible with WF&S?  All the ones I've investigated are described in the manufacturers' spec as Twain, and my understanding (from more READING and learning) is that WF&S will NOT work with a Twain scanner.

Instead, I've ditched the old Agfa scanner that worked perfectly under Win 7 with everything else (daughter's inherited it) and ordered a new Canon one that probably still won't work with WF&S (cos I suspect nothing will).   But at least I will have complied with the compatibility list.
    To be fair, the Agfa may be lurking somewhere in those 26 pages, but life's too short to wade though them - that is one  s l o w   site.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 1:21 AM
  • Understand your frustration
    been there done that

The new Epson scanners and multifunction units may be the shot

- my V300 Perfection flatbed scanner works very well for me on W7 x86 at insane resolutions - have been scanning v old family photos at high res and zooming in on detail you can't get by eye ..............

My Epson TX300F multifunction fax scan print works well on my W7 x64 O2K10 fax/scan setup
    I bought the latter for xmas holidays as I didn't want to leave a PC running while I was on hols, as a cheap stand alone fax only to find it could do much more

- an amazing machine for $100

HTH
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 10:54 AM
  • The new Canon LIDE scanner arrived, and is an excellent piece of kit.  
    With it came a software package over 100MB in size.   In there is a fax utility that works.   Problem solved. 
    • Marked as answer by KeithjUK Friday, January 29, 2010 6:24 PM
    Friday, January 29, 2010 6:22 PM
  • Great ..

what is the software plz ?

MS fax and scan is b rubbish

Friday, January 29, 2010 11:53 PM
  • btw

if you want to see Windows 7 go into a tail spin
    make a sub directory called "Fax" in " My Documents"
    Friday, January 29, 2010 11:55 PM
  • I don't know what the software is.   It came bundled with the scanner.   It's "Fax" on the button on the scanner itself, and also on the pop-up for the Canon software if you use the "Canon Scanner" desktop icon.   I put the document in the scanner, press the "Fax" button on the scanner, and follow the page that appears on the screen.   Easy!

MS Fax & Scan just doesn't work, that's all.   I spent a long time trying, and never actually got it to send a fax.  I'm glad to have given up.
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 2:41 AM
  • Just install the wia driver for vista 64 and it works.

You need to extract them manually from the zip and then do an update driver from the device manager

Thursday, August 12, 2010 5:23 AM
  • Thanks, but I'm not running 64-bit Win 7 so that probably won't work.

I don't need WF&S any more anyway, since I have Canon's fine software that does work.  

I spent far too much time trying to get WF&S to work, reading all kinds of stuff, adding and removing drivers.  

A failure by MS.

Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:21 AM
  • I caught this posting when looking for something different but am hoping you can help.  I have Windows 7 64-bit and an Agfa Snapscan 1212U scanner.  Scanner is perfectly good and I don't really want to replace it.  However, Win 7 doesn't recognize it as far as having a driver for it.  It always shows up in Device Manager with the dreaded exclamation point (!).  Agfa hasn't made a driver since Win XP.  How did you get it working?
    Wednesday, February 02, 2011 3:00 PM
  • I have a Microtek Scanmaker 3600 which is recognised by Device Manager (with no exclamation mark) and shows in Devices and Printers yet Windows Fax & Scan still won't work with it. It appears there are problems with Microsofts USBScan.sys or their drivers as the Microtek software installs and works OK using Win XP SP2 compatibility mode at the time of installation.

I too am disappointed with Microsofts lack of hardware support for Windows Fax and Scan.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 7:41 AM