none
Cannot register MSCOMCT2.OCX using regsvr32

Question

• Hi there TechNet-ers !

First, here are some specifics,

My PC: Acer desktop model M5810
    My OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bits
    My PC account setup: As Administrator
    My problem: registering MSCOMCT2.OCX (Microsoft DatePicker) (with the aim of using this control on a UserForm within Excel 2007)
    My context: Using VBA to enhance my personal Excel 2007 documents.
    My status: I do pretty well in VBA but am no professional programmer

Here is what I did:

1) I copied MSCOMCT2.OCX to the C:\windows\SysWOW64 directory

2) I clicked the Start Button and used the Run application to run this command:
        regsvr32  c:\windows\sysWOW64\mscomct2.ocx

3) I got this reply: "The c:\windows\sysWOW64\mscomct2.ocx    module has been loaded, but the call
        to DllRegisterServer has failed, with the error code 0x8002801c"

4) After having googled "DllRegisterServer" somewhat, I'm left with the impression that what I must do is to find a way of telling Windows that I want to run that command in Administrative Mode. I know my PC account is already set to Administrator, but it seems this is not enough and that Windows must still be told to run the command in Administrative Mode. But I don't know how to do that. Or is it really a matter of Administrative mode ?

5) I've repeated the same steps, this time with mscomct2.ocx copied to the c:\window\system32 directory but I get the same error message as before.
    Can somebody provide some help ?

Thanks for listening
    ExcelBoy

Sunday, January 24, 2010 7:37 PM

Answers

• Hello,

You need to copy the MSCOMCT2.OCX file to c:\windows\sysWOW64 not c:\windows\system32. You then can register it by running from the command prompt or run in the start menu regsvr32 c:\windows\sysWOW64\mscomct2.ocx and it should register although make sure that you run regsvr32 with administrator privileges.

How to run that command in Administrative Mode
    ================================
    1. Click the Start button, then in the "Start Search" box, type CMD but DO NOT press Enter yet.
    2. In the list above, under "Programs" right-click on CMD that appears above and choose "Run as Administrator" and click "Continue".
    3. In the open window, type the following command and press Enter:

regsvr32 c:\windows\sysWOW64\mscomct2.ocx

Thomas77
    Monday, January 25, 2010 9:40 AM

All replies

• Hello,

You need to copy the MSCOMCT2.OCX file to c:\windows\sysWOW64 not c:\windows\system32. You then can register it by running from the command prompt or run in the start menu regsvr32 c:\windows\sysWOW64\mscomct2.ocx and it should register although make sure that you run regsvr32 with administrator privileges.

How to run that command in Administrative Mode
    ================================
    1. Click the Start button, then in the "Start Search" box, type CMD but DO NOT press Enter yet.
    2. In the list above, under "Programs" right-click on CMD that appears above and choose "Run as Administrator" and click "Continue".
    3. In the open window, type the following command and press Enter:

regsvr32 c:\windows\sysWOW64\mscomct2.ocx

Thomas77
    Monday, January 25, 2010 9:40 AM
  • Dear Thomas77

I wish to thank you very much for your help with registering mscomct2.ocx over Windows 7 64 bits
    It worked !

ExcelBoy
    Monday, January 25, 2010 1:45 PM
  • Many thanks for the reply.
    I lost a whole day until I found this link, which is the only and it worked.
    thank you very much again.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 5:04 AM
  • Hi Thomas77,

Thank you very much for your help!

coolleahcim

Friday, December 24, 2010 3:49 AM
  • Hi

I have the same problem and i don't have sysWOW64.

I am running Win7 64

Thursday, July 07, 2011 10:30 AM
  • It worked, thanks a lot!
    Friday, July 08, 2011 1:49 PM
  • If you're running win 7 64 you definetely have it. C:\Windows\sysWOW64
    Friday, July 08, 2011 1:51 PM
  • You already have lots of "Thank you"s. Here is another one. I was looking for this solution for ages now. Your solution is short and clear and this is what makes it so valuable. THANK YOU SO MUCH!
    Saturday, September 29, 2012 10:36 PM
  • how this way doesn't work in my computer..

please help thom?

Friday, July 19, 2013 6:26 AM
  • Anyone who encounters error code 0*8002801c while trying to register mscomct2.ocx into system 32

Solution:

open command prompt as administrator and type this

C:\Windows\System32> regsvr32 wmnetmgr.dll

Press enter. Then type this

C:\Windows\System32> regsvr32 mscomct2.ocx

and press enter again. Succeeded!

Problem solved!

Saturday, July 20, 2013 3:05 AM
  • Parece que el W 8.1 no deja que se ejecute dichos controles.

He necesitado y necesito del MSCAL.OCX que me funcionaba con W8 y office 2013. Ahora con W 81 y el mismo office, parece que la versión de Windows no lo permite.

He probado de todas formas y maneras y las librerías están en SysWOW64 y nada d enada que me funcionan.

Pareciera que la versión de W tiene que ver sobre esto, porque con W8 si funciona la librería MSCAL.OCX y con 8.1 no

Thursday, December 05, 2013 3:08 AM
  • Has encontrado alguna solucion a esto? que tengo el mismo problema con windows 8.1
    Wednesday, January 29, 2014 6:24 AM