none
Windows 7 Aero Theme Service has stopped working

Question

• For about the past week, every 20-30 min after i turn my computer on my Aero theme service keeps shutting down, causing Windows and Internet explorer to look like XP windows. I have tried using the system restore but with no luck. Here is the detailed info given at the end of the troubleshooter:
    Print
    Issues found
    Fixed
    Fixed
    Start the Themes service
    Completed
    Fixed
    Fixed
    Enable Transparency
    Completed
    Potential issues that were checked
    Issue not present

Issue not present

Issue not present

Issue not present

Issue not present

Issue not present

Issue not present

Issue not present

Issue not present

Issue not present

Issues found
    Detection details
    Themes service isn't running
    Fixed
    Fixed
    Starting the Themes service will enable Aero desktop effects such as transparency.
    Transparency is disabled
    Fixed
    Fixed
    Transparency must be enabled in order to display transparent window borders.
    Potential issues that were checked
    Detection details
    The current theme doesn't support Aero
    Issue not present

The current theme Unsaved Theme doesn't support Aero desktop effects such as transparency.
      Desktop Window Manager is disabled
    Issue not present

The Desktop Window Manager must be enabled in order to display Aero desktop effects such as transparency.
    Video card doesn't support required display settings
    Issue not present

Your video card doesn't support DirectX 9.0 or higher, Pixel Shader Model 2.0 or higher, or doesn't have sufficient memory or memory bandwidth required to display Aero effects such as transparency.
      Color depth is set too low
    Issue not present

To render Aero effects, the color depth must be set to 32 bits.
      Mirror drivers don't support Aero effects
    Issue not present

A running program uses a mirror driver (a type of display driver) which is not compatible with the Aero desktop experience.
    Current power settings don't support Aero desktop effects
    Issue not present

The Power Saver plan helps conserve power, and starts when your computer is running on battery power. When running your computer on battery power, Windows conserves power by disabling visual effects such as the Aero desktop experience.
      Aero effects not supported on this Windows edition
    Issue not present

Some Aero features such as transparency are not included on certain Windows editions.
      Desktop Window Manager Session Manager service isn't running
    Issue not present

The Desktop Window Manager Session Manager service and the Desktop Window Manager process are used to display Aero desktop effects such as transparency. The service or process is currently stopped.
      Video card driver doesn't support Aero effects
    Issue not present

The current video card driver isn't compatible with the Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM).
      The Windows Experience Index has not been computed
    Issue not present

The Windows Experience Index base score measures the capability of your computer's hardware and software configuration and is one of many factors that determine whether the Aero desktop effects can run.
    Detection details
    Expand
    Collection information
    Computer Name: ROBOB-LAPTOP
    Windows Version:
    Architecture:
    x86
    Time:
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 6:45:41 AM
    Publisher details
    Expand
    Aero
    Display Aero effects such as transparency.
    Package Version:
    Publisher:
    Microsoft Windows
    Aero
    Display Aero effects such as transparency.
    Package Version:
    Publisher:
    Microsoft Corporation
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 3:55 AM

Answers

• Hi, Robob31:

First of all, try performing a clean boot and see if the problem persists in that mode:

Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796/en-us

If that doesn't help, post here any Event Viewer report you may have about Desktop Window Manager (DWM), or the Windows Aero Theme Service crash. You can open Event Viewer by clicking on the Start orb, type Event Viewer in the search box, and hit ENTER.
    Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, March 02, 2010 9:09 AM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 1:50 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi, Robob31:

First of all, try performing a clean boot and see if the problem persists in that mode:

Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796/en-us

If that doesn't help, post here any Event Viewer report you may have about Desktop Window Manager (DWM), or the Windows Aero Theme Service crash. You can open Event Viewer by clicking on the Start orb, type Event Viewer in the search box, and hit ENTER.
    Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, March 02, 2010 9:09 AM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 1:50 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Robob31,

According to the information you collected, your display card doesn't suggort Aero effects. Please let us know more information about your machine, such as machine model, and display card model.

At the same time, please update your graphic card driver for your machine. If you graphic card is compatible with Win7, you can turn on Windows 7 Aero theme referring to the following link:

http://www.webtlk.com/2009/01/24/how-to-turn-on-windows-7-aero-theme/

In addition, you can test in a new account.

Good luck!

John
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 3:13 AM
  • I found the answer to my problem using Windows 7 and IE9. I had enabled some features from the Ease of Access Center. I made a choice in the section "Make the computer easier to see". Under "Make things on the screen easier to see", I had checked, "Remove background images (where available). As soon as I unchecked that I, again, was able to see my Desktop Background. Hope this helps someone.
    Friday, May 20, 2011 3:57 AM