none
Stop windows 7 from automaticly installing drivers on boot?

Question

• My SB Live Platinum does not have Vista or 7 drivers from Creative. The XP drivers sound like  the speakers are blown out. I have found unofficial/ unsigned drivers that are said to work on Vista. First I have to uninstall my sound card and reboot, but when I do that the system automatically reinstalls with the bad drivers and I can't seem to cancel it. Anybody got a solution? Keep windows from automaticly installing hardware on reboot?
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 4:54 AM

Answers

• I had the exact same problem with those Daniel_K drivers. Make sure you tell Windows Update not to check for new updates and also turn off all internet connectivity. Then uninstall the old driver from Device Manager and make sure you check the box that says 'Delete Old Drivers'. Reboot and then you should be able to install the Daniel_K drivers with no hang ups.
    • Marked as answer by MGaddict Saturday, January 17, 2009 4:46 PM
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 6:16 AM
  • I followed Sanginius's advice, cut all internet and deleted the drivers, rebooted and that worked great. I am now using the Daniel_K drivers and they work great!!!!!!! You can find them at..... http://nomoregoatsoup.wordpress.com/live-drivers/ use the mirror 2 download location. The mirror 1 is deleted. That page includes install directions and exactly how to fix it. Creative could really learn something from that whole ordeal. I had never heard about that deal between Daniel_K and Creative until now but geez. O well, they work. Thanks to everybody for helping me.

P.S. the AC97' onboard audio works as well on the ECS K7S5A motherboard. At least I've gotten to test that as well.
    • Marked as answer by MGaddict Saturday, January 17, 2009 4:47 PM
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 4:46 PM

All replies

• As far as i remember the live installs drivers in the same way as the Audigy 2 i currently have does. Is it a full driver install package you have? Because if it is try just running the installer from inside windows, it should tell you that theres already drivers installed and uninstall them for you. Then it should tell you its going to reboot and continue with setting up drivers after reboot. When it gets back into windows it should then install the new drivers. Sometimes they then do a reboot, ut not all the time.
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 5:13 AM
  • I thank you for the reply but I'm not using drivers from Creative. I'm trying to use opensource drivers written by somebody that had this same problem in Vista. neither windows 7 or Vista will let you downgrade drivers. To install unofficial drivers, you have to uninstall the hardware, reboot, and get it to allow you to select the driver from a disk instead of using the ones windows provides. If you ever had hardware windows didn't recognize you should be familiar with this process because it gives you that option. I want it to do that for hardware it does recognize.
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 5:19 AM
  • ah ok im using the Daniel_K drivers and they seem to work very happilyok have you tried Removing the Card, then uninstalling the software? if you have onboard sound try enabling that so windows looks for drivers, then shut down put card back in , disable onboard sound, and then try installing the drivers for the creative labs card, and then of course uninstall the onboard. you might not need to even use the onboard, just trying to give ideas here.
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 5:23 AM
  • Thanks, thats not a bad idea at all seing as I do have onboard sound, I've been wanted to test it anyways. Thanks. I'll try that now and let you know if it works.
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 5:43 AM
  • I had the exact same problem with those Daniel_K drivers. Make sure you tell Windows Update not to check for new updates and also turn off all internet connectivity. Then uninstall the old driver from Device Manager and make sure you check the box that says 'Delete Old Drivers'. Reboot and then you should be able to install the Daniel_K drivers with no hang ups.
    • Marked as answer by MGaddict Saturday, January 17, 2009 4:46 PM
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 6:16 AM
  • I followed Sanginius's advice, cut all internet and deleted the drivers, rebooted and that worked great. I am now using the Daniel_K drivers and they work great!!!!!!! You can find them at..... http://nomoregoatsoup.wordpress.com/live-drivers/ use the mirror 2 download location. The mirror 1 is deleted. That page includes install directions and exactly how to fix it. Creative could really learn something from that whole ordeal. I had never heard about that deal between Daniel_K and Creative until now but geez. O well, they work. Thanks to everybody for helping me.

P.S. the AC97' onboard audio works as well on the ECS K7S5A motherboard. At least I've gotten to test that as well.
    • Marked as answer by MGaddict Saturday, January 17, 2009 4:47 PM
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 4:46 PM