cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64 bit versions of windows

Question

• I don't know if this is the correct forum but here goes:

I have 2 computers both with Vista Ultimate

Computer 1 has in Windows\system32 and file named Autoexec.nt

Computer 2 has the folder Windows\system32 but no Autoexec.nt

I am trying to run a program that shells out to Dos to run LHA.exe

Computer 1 works

Computer 2 does not work, I get a message " cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64 bit versions of windows.

I tried to copy the autoexec.nt from computer 1 to computer 2 but it would not let me.

This problem occured in Windows XP and I had to put the autoexec.nt back in the system32 folder.

I did find this article does this apply? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933662/en-us

Any suggestions???

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 6:29 PM

Answers

• Hi elleng,

Thank you for the post.

As I know, Windows Vista 64bit versions do not support 16-bit applications. If you would like to continue to run 16-bit applications on Windows Vista, you can either install Windows Vista 32bit or use this application in a virtual PC.

In addition, the hotfix KB933662 is only available to Windows Vista 32bit.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Friday, December 14, 2007 6:56 AM

All replies

• Hi elleng,

Thank you for the post.

As I know, Windows Vista 64bit versions do not support 16-bit applications. If you would like to continue to run 16-bit applications on Windows Vista, you can either install Windows Vista 32bit or use this application in a virtual PC.

In addition, the hotfix KB933662 is only available to Windows Vista 32bit.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Friday, December 14, 2007 6:56 AM
  • I'ms sorry but I don't understand all of this. 

How can I tell if it is a 64 bit Vista or a 32 bit vista?

Can you have both?

Where do you get a 32 bit Vista?

How do you run a Virtual PC?

And what about the Autoexec.NT - why is this file on a Vista machine and not on another Vista machine?

Thank you

Ellen

Monday, December 17, 2007 4:54 PM
  • Hi Ellen,

Thank you for the response.

To check if the system is 32bit or 64bit, please click Start, right-click Computer and click Properties.

You can install either a 32bit or 64bit Windows Vista on a computer. It depends on the installation disk you use. The label of the Windows Vista disk should mention if it is 32bit or a 64bit. To install Windows Vista 32bit, you need a Windows Vista 32bit product key. It is the same with Windows Vista 64bit. When you buy a copy of Windows Vista, you need to clarify if you prefer a 32bit or 64bit version.

Microsoft Virtual PC is a virtualization suite for Microsoft Windows operating systems. Generally, we cannot run 16-bit applications in Windows Vista 64bit. However, if you really need to run them, please install a Virtual Windows XP/2000/Vista 32bit PC on the system.

For more information about Microsoft Virtual PC, please refer to the following site:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/support.mspx?wt_svl=20324a&mg_id=20324b

You can click “Frequent Asked Questions” on the page to get a brief understanding of Microsoft Virtual PC.

If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 7:12 AM