none
nVidia Go6150 driver from Windows Update causes HP TX1000 series laptop to crash

Question

• Hi,

I installed Windows 7 Ultimate-64 on my HP Pavilion TX1000 series touchscreen laptop model TX1308ca with nVidia nForce Go6150 GPU.  I successfully used the old HP Vista64 SMBus & SMU driver to get rid of the "processor" driver issue, and then used Windows Update to install the latest GPU driver (version 7.15.11.7967 by nVidia).

Everything worked well, until I started the Windows Performance Assessment Test.  The test goes through Direct3D 9 tests without a hitch, skips all DirectX 10 tests, and goes to Blue Screen of Death immediately upon starting the Windows Media tests.  This happens every time and in the same "spot" when the test is run.

I later noted that Windows crashes to BSoD also every time I try to access the web cam (USB 2.0 Camera driver v.6.1.7600.16385 from Windows Update).  I also could not access the Fingerprint Setup software (instant BSoD), that got installed with AuthenTec AES1610 driver v.2.0.0.18 from Windows Update.

BSoD does NOT happen during any other usage of my laptop, but I do not use it to play games or videos.

I rolled back the graphics driver to standard VGA with 1280x800 resolution, keeping all other drivers as they were, and was able to run the Windows Performance Assessment test, use the camera & set up the fingerprint recognition software.  No problems encountered, but the graphics assessment is at 1.0 & GPU RAM is not available.

Updating GPU driver back to the one from Windows Update brings all the BSoD problems back.  Upon re-start & recovery, I have allowed Windows to report the problem to Microsoft (on at least 10 occasions over the past month), but there is no resolution yet.

I tried driver files suggested on HP Support Forum pages, on laptopvideo2go website, but none of them will install with Go 6150 GPU on my laptop.  I heard that old HP Vista64 GPU driver will not work with Windows7-64, but have not tried this option.

I also downloaded and successfully installed sp45169 from HP (suggested on HP Forums for nVidia SMBus & SMU laptop driver under Windows 7-64) - works fine but there is no improvement in BSoD occurances and causes.

If anyone needs more info from me to help solve the issue, I'd be more than happy to supply it.

Thanks, in advance.

Saturday, March 06, 2010 7:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please post your SkyDrive link, so that I can get the minidump file.

As the same time, you can try thes driver from the Microsoft Update catalog, as there are several versions, please try the different version from your current one. 

After that, please boot your machine in the Clean Boot mode, then run the Windows Performance Assessment again. If the BSOD trouble still occrur, it's better to run SFC to check if there are corrupted system files.

Good luck!

John
    Friday, March 12, 2010 2:03 AM

All replies

• To make the laptop works fine in Win7, the proper drivers should be installed. As the drivers on the Windows Update site are directly provided by hardware manufacturers. Why not install the driver downloaded from the Manufacture directly. I notice there isn't driver for Win7 in the HP website, you can try the driver from Nvidia as it is the direct manufacture of your graphic card.

Since the BSOD troube just happened after installing the graphica card driver from WU, it's better to the apply the latest Grachic card driver from the Nvidia directly. You can get it from the following link:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_196.21_whql.html 

After installing it, please run the Windows Performance Assessment Test again.

If the BSOD issue still occurs, it's better to upload the your Minidump log to your public folder in the SkyDrive for analyzing.

Good luck!

John
    Monday, March 08, 2010 7:17 AM
  • Thanks for answering, but nVidia does NOT provide ANY GPU drivers for laptops on their website, giving a message that goes someting like this "the manufacturer of your system requested that you download optimized drivers from their website".  One can get a 6150 GPU driver, but not one for my mobile Go6150.

I'll try to upload the latest minidump to SkyDrive - not sure though how to link the upload to this thread, yet.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 3:25 PM
  • Today's minidump has been uploaded to my Public folder on SkyDrive, but I have no idea how to direct you there without publishing my email address in a reply.  I'm hoping you have a way to access it.  The filename is 031110-55832-01.dmp

Today's BSOD was easily caused by running the Windows Performance Assessment, as previously described.

Regards
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 4:12 PM
  • Hi,

Please post your SkyDrive link, so that I can get the minidump file.

As the same time, you can try thes driver from the Microsoft Update catalog, as there are several versions, please try the different version from your current one. 

After that, please boot your machine in the Clean Boot mode, then run the Windows Performance Assessment again. If the BSOD trouble still occrur, it's better to run SFC to check if there are corrupted system files.

Good luck!

John
    Friday, March 12, 2010 2:03 AM
  • SkyDrive link:   http://cid-161b876e5f084709.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public?wa=wsignin1.0&sa=641218523

There are 5 files there.  The earliest one is the 55832 (all drivers from MS Update), followed by 42042 (HP Vista 64 graphics driver, I think), followed by 42338, 47299, 42182 (with progressively more HP Vista 64 drivers).  All minidump files were triggered by Win Perf. Assessment.

In the meantime I'll try the MS Update catalog & Clean Boot & SFC (I presume this is an executable sfc.exe) you suggested.

Many thanks for your help so far and for taking the time to review the minidump files.

Saturday, March 20, 2010 4:26 PM
  • When I try to run sfc.exe I get the following message in command prompt window: "You must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility". 

Could you please advise me how to run a "console session" and how to run it as an administrator?

Also, is there a way to repair windows system files which may be corrupted without having to re-install all other software?  Would running Win7 installation CD to repair the existing installation on hard disk be sufficient?

Many thanks.

Sunday, March 21, 2010 1:58 AM
  • Hi,

As your questions, to run the cmd.exe as administrator, you just need to right click it, then choose "Run as administrator".

After checking the minidump files, I found you trouble is caused by the nvlddmkm.sys file which is more related to the display card driver. So, it's better to apply the driver from the MS Update catalog.

Good luck!

John
    Monday, March 22, 2010 8:12 AM
  • Thanks for reviewing the dump files, but the same thing happens with the graphics driver from MS Update, MS Update Catalog & HP Vista64 drivers.  In all cases it's the nvlddmkm.sys that crashes.

Does Microsoft plan to raise this issue with nVidia, to come up with a driver that does not crash (i.e. nvlddmkm.sys that is compatible with Windows 7 64bit) ?  Please let me know.

The only config that does not crash is the generic VGA driver that comes with Win7.

Regards.

Monday, March 22, 2010 9:07 PM
  • As your graphic card is very old, and the driver from MS catalog, or HP is not good for your laptop, you'd better to contact HP to inquire when the new driver will be released.

Good luck! 

John
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 2:26 AM
  • John,

I finally discovered the cause of BSOD.  It's a GPU chip problem, confirmed by restoring the original Vista-32 OS from HP disks which resulted in the same problem with nvlddmkm.sys crashing.

Thanks for all your help!

Sunday, March 28, 2010 5:56 PM
  • I have same trouble.

Didnt know why but i can get a BSOD or just black screen with cursor on it.

I change theme to a simple contrast white, but after installing driver i see that ther is no any 3D, even a simple 3d test in Nvidia driver didnt work. When i instal some modern theme, screen may be in artifakts or blank.

This is GPU issue, but i just change my mobo, and get this. I will try to check cooling, causes nvidia can block 3d when it is really hot.
    Friday, April 09, 2010 2:12 PM
  • think I have similar problem, on similar hardware..seem to have got Display drivers for NVIDIA GeForce go6150 working..can anyone advise how I can download coprocessor drivers?
    Thursday, November 08, 2012 5:19 PM