none
Windows 7 Pro won't boot

Question

• I am running Windows 7 x64 and today I received a windows update.  I also ran Norton Utilities to clean the registry.  After rebooting I can no longer get windows to boot.  I get the animated window logo but then I get the BSOD (Code: 0x000000F4).  Figuring the registry had been corrupted I ran the Recovery Counsel to go back to my system restore point just before the windows update. 

It won't let me continue with the system restore.  I pick the date of the last restore point and on the next page I can't click on which drive to restore and it says "You must enable system protection on this drive"
    I tried one suggestion to run Net Start VSS however that doesn't work, I get an error.  I also have tried to fixmbr and reload the boot loader also.

All my data is backed up so if it isn't an easy fix I will just reinstall windows.

Anybody have any ideas?  Thanks
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 2:43 AM

Answers

• Well, when I got home last night I tried a few more things and decieded that I had already spent more time trying to fix it then it would take to reintstall everything. 

So, I just copied everything to another drive incase I needed any of the files that weren't backed up for some reason and then reinstalled windows and it is working fine now.

Magon_67 -- I do keep all my data on a second hard drive, I have learned that lesson before!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. 

So additional info if anybody was wondering:
    The Automatic Startup Repair gave me this error:

StartupRepairOffline
    Unknown
    External Media
    Bad Driver

And in another section this is the only error
    SystemfilesIntegrityCheck and Repair
    Error Code : 0x4005

Thursday, November 26, 2009 12:33 PM

All replies

• It appears you have not created an image backup of the entire computer so instead try a repair installation similar to a retail upgrade. Start the installation from the dvd, choose upgrade rather than custom and wait for it to finish just as if you were upgrading from vista to 7.

Seasons greetings!
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 4:04 AM
  • Hi,

As this issue occurs during windows update, we can try using DISM to Revert Pending update to check the result. run the following command:

dism.exe /image:d:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

In addition, corrupt registry may also cause such issues, if you are unable to find another solution, try the following to repair system files:

In the Windows Error Recovery mode, click "Repair your computer", highlight the operation system which has problems, click "Next".

In the dialog box titled "System Recovery Options", click "Command Prompt" and type in the following command:

SFC  /SCANNOW  /OFFBOOTDIR=<System Drive>:\  /OFFWINDIR=<System Drive>:\Windows

Note: If your system is installed under C drive, please type the following command " SFC  /SCANNOW  /OFFBOOTDIR=C:\  /OFFWINDIR=C:\Windows"

The process may take some time. 

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 5:40 AM
  • Mr. Seven

It is not a full image from windows just the restore point.  I did try the inplace upgrade but it says I need to run that from within windows and since it won't boot it doesn't appear I can do that.

My last full image is about 2 months old but with acronis true image. 

Magon_67

I did try the automatic repair and it gave me an error.   I don't have the error off the top of my head, but I can check when I get home tonight.

I also did try  SFC /SCANNOW but said there was a pending repair everytime.  I will try the extra switches tonight also

Thanks again
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 10:52 AM
  • same problem here....did update today and then win 7 pro wont boot at all. ive tried all the suggestions thus far to no solution. amd trying my old vista image from before i installed 7 now cuz the one from 2 days ago or last month just arent cutting it either....help
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 11:14 AM
  • Hi,

Disconnect all but the necessary devices (keyboard + maybe a mouse, network card...) and see if the computer can start.
    If it does not work, you also have the following optonis.

1.    Using Last Known Good Configuration
    2.    Startup Repair in WinRE

The above steps will take some time. I would like to know if your data were kept safe on external hard driver not only in the form of system restore point, if so, I think the most easy and time-saving way is to reinstall windows.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 10:36 AM
  • Well, when I got home last night I tried a few more things and decieded that I had already spent more time trying to fix it then it would take to reintstall everything. 

So, I just copied everything to another drive incase I needed any of the files that weren't backed up for some reason and then reinstalled windows and it is working fine now.

Magon_67 -- I do keep all my data on a second hard drive, I have learned that lesson before!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. 

So additional info if anybody was wondering:
    The Automatic Startup Repair gave me this error:

StartupRepairOffline
    Unknown
    External Media
    Bad Driver

And in another section this is the only error
    SystemfilesIntegrityCheck and Repair
    Error Code : 0x4005

Thursday, November 26, 2009 12:33 PM
  • Just found the fix!!  This exact problem happened to me, and while i was on the phone with the worthless Norton tech support i looked around google and found the fix.

I first booted from the Windows 7 install disc to get to the system recovery console. I then selected Command Line. From there, I had to change from the X: drive to the C: drive by typing "C:". I then typed "cd\ windows\system32\config" to get to the registry file directory. By typing "dir" I could see that two of the five hive files (default, sam, security, software, and system) had recent copies with an "rmbak" extension: default.rmbak and software.rmbak. I then executed the following commands:

ren software software.bak
    copy software.rmbak software

ren default default.bak
    copy default.rmbak default

I would suggest you execute the "ren" then "copy" commands as above for any other hives that have "rmbak" backups with the same date/time stamp. This ensures your registry remains in sync. You can now reboot and see if your computer comes up.

Reboot.... You are now golden!!  --- oh don't forget to uninstall Norton Utilities when you reboot....
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 11:21 PM
  • I have never cleaned my registry in any Windows and never had any problem.

Registry cleaners cause more problem than solve any.
    Sunday, December 06, 2009 1:26 PM
  • Just found the fix!!  This exact problem happened to me, and while i was on the phone with the worthless Norton tech support i looked around google and found the fix.

I first booted from the Windows 7 install disc to get to the system recovery console. I then selected Command Line. From there, I had to change from the X: drive to the C: drive by typing "C:". I then typed "cd\ windows\system32\config" to get to the registry file directory. By typing "dir" I could see that two of the five hive files (default, sam, security, software, and system) had recent copies with an "rmbak" extension: default.rmbak and software.rmbak. I then executed the following commands:

ren software software.bak
    copy software.rmbak software

ren default default.bak
    copy default.rmbak default

I would suggest you execute the "ren" then "copy" commands as above for any other hives that have "rmbak" backups with the same date/time stamp. This ensures your registry remains in sync. You can now reboot and see if your computer comes up.

Reboot.... You are now golden!!  --- oh don't forget to uninstall Norton Utilities when you reboot....

Hi cbournis,

You are great!

I had the same problem with Windows 7 x64, I only did not use Norton Utilities, but GlaryUtilities Registry Defrag and that caused my problems.

For safety I renamed all the files without an extention that had a gbck extention and copied all the files with a gbck extention to the same filename without extention:

Map van C:\Windows\System32\config

27-02-2010  21:45    <DIR>          .
    27-02-2010  21:45    <DIR>          ..
    26-12-2009  14:42              28.672 BCD-Template
    27-02-2010  21:45        59.244.544 COMPONENTS
    27-02-2010  21:38             262.144 DEFAULT
    27-02-2010  21:15             221.184 DEFAULT.bak
    18-02-2010  22:57             262.144 DEFAULT.gbck
    14-07-2009  03:34    <DIR>          Journal
    11-02-2010  12:08    <DIR>          RegBack
    27-02-2010  21:44             262.144 SAM
    27-02-2010  21:15               69.632 SAM.bak
    18-02-2010  22:57             262.144 SAM.gbck
    27-02-2010  21:38             262.144 SECURITY
    27-02-2010  21:15               49.152 SECURITY.bak
    18-02-2010  22:57             262.144 SECURITY.gbck
    27-02-2010  21:48         86.507.520 SOFTWARE
    27-02-2010  21:15           8.650.752 SOFTWARE.bak
    18-02-2010  22:57         86.507.520 SOFTWARE.gbck
    27-02-2010  21:48         19.398.656 SYSTEM
    27-02-2010  21:15         14.155.776 SYSTEM.bak
    18-02-2010  22:57         19.398.656 SYSTEM.gbck
    26-12-2009  14:46    <DIR>          systemprofile
    18-02-2010  22:58    <DIR>          TxR
    26-12-2009  14:33             262.144 userdiff

This solved my problems.

Thanks a lot for your fix!

Kind regards,

Arie Maat

Saturday, February 27, 2010 9:01 PM
  • I had the same problem on my Win7 Pro system.... No Norton.... So I tried every option on the boot menu (F8) Here's what I came up with:

The only option that would boot (every other option went to the system recovery screen) was enabling unsigned drivers. I was leary of doing it, but I unhooked from the internet and did it anyway.

It booted and After some diagnostics, it turned out to be Nero burning software causing the conflicts.

Once I booted without signed drivers once... Everthing worked upon reboot normally.

Friday, June 10, 2011 5:47 PM
  • Hi!
    I'm from Brazil and I just wanna say thank you! 
    Arie, I got exactly the same problem on GLARY UTILITIES DEFRAG TOOL on WINDOWS 7 64 BITS ULTIMATE.
    It booted my laptop after finishing defrag, then windows not worked after that. Even the SAFE MODE was corrupted. 
    I simply followed your steps, and it brought my cpu to normality. just thank you.
    for the ones who are not used to DOS line commands, I'm gonna explain what I did in 10 steps:
    1. I opened the windows 7 DVD installation on boot (just put your DVD installation on drive, usually your computer is configured to access dvd drive first, if not, you should go to setup bios, look on internet how to do it)
    2. I acessed the repair tool
    3.I chose the Command Line (DOS).
    4. on Command Line, my windows folder was in D:, so i typed 'D:' . Usually is 'c:'
    5. I acessed the folder with the files that I should substitute. I typed 'cd windows', then 'cd system32', then 'cd config'
    6. I typed 'dir' to see the files. There were 5 files with the termination .gbck, and 5 files without any termination. They were the following files: DEFAULT, SAM, SECURITY, SOFTWARE and SYSTEM.
    7. I renamed all the files without termination to .bak . One by one. just like that: 'ren COMPONENTS COMPONENTS.bak' (you should do it for the others 4 files)
    8. I renamed all the .gbck to without termination. One by one. just like that: 'ren COMPONENTS.gbck COMPONENTS' (you should do it for the others 4 files)
    9. I typed 'dir', to see if the files names were exactly I was expecting to.
    10. I booted the pc, and voilá, it worked just fine. 
    that's all.
    thank you!!
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:42 PM
  • It helps me also. I copied files from C:\Windows\System32\Config\RegBack. And my virtual machine runs. Thank you. Greetings from Poland.
    Monday, April 09, 2012 7:52 PM
  • I had the exact same problem when I ran Norton Utilities v. 15.0.0.124 "Defragment Your Registry" on Windows 7 Home Premium.  It finished the task, then told me to restart the computer.  However, it wouldn't reboot when I did this.  When I followed cbournis' instructions exactly, it worked like a charm and it rebooted and everything seems back to normal.  

Thank you, thank you!  I was ready to give up and reinstall Windows and all the applications.  What a time-wasting hassle that would have been.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 7:24 AM
  • Old thread, but the above solution worked for my system after a patch messed things up and restore points wouldn't revert back to a good working config.  Thanks!
    Wednesday, July 17, 2013 1:06 PM
  • I had exact the same problem and repair error message:
    StartupRepairOffline

External Media

Bad Driver

But in my case a easier solution worked fine:
    Because of a real cpu-fan problem the user had reseted the BIOS to standard values and this has set the SATA-channel of the system disk from AHCI to IDE.  I've set it back to AHCI and the system starts fine!
    Greetings from Germany.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 7:43 PM