none
Windows 7 'My Computer' folder hangs with green bar and will not display any folders

Question

• Hello,

I now have this problem on no less that 3 PC's with the W7 Evaluation 7100 build.

Spontaneously and at random times, explorer just hangs when trying to access the 'Computer' section to display my local and remote drives.  It has completely destroyed any hope I had of W7 actually being better than any other windows product, and makes working impossible without having to reboot every 30 mins.  I have updated ALL my drivers and even my PC that's only been built 3 days has this problem.

I know all about msconfig and selecting selective start up and disabling all programs, sure this works for a while - but sooner or later it just hangs again.  It also behaves itself under a normal 'all programs enabled' start up for random amounts of time, before it decides to lock me out of my drive locations (and eventually it crashes explorer that needs to be forced to close and restarted).

The really annoying thing, and the thing that suggest to me that's it's an OS issue is that windows explorer if perfectly accessible through every single installed program - even when the explorer 'computer' window is hanging.  Just open the 'open file' tab of any program and all drives under 'computer' are perfectly accessible and functional.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

specs: W7 64bit 7100

Asus P6T Deluxe V2
    GTX 260 Golden Sample
    4x1TB WD Cav/Black
    6GB DDR3 RAM
    i7 920 @ 3.4 Ghz
    Dual Dell 1080p 24"

• Edited by ZutW7 Monday, August 31, 2009 8:43 PM added specs
    Monday, August 31, 2009 8:36 PM

All replies

• Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes, I've had this issue on 3 different builds (1 dell laptop, 1 old pc, and the new build) and also on the RC version and the 7100 Evaluation build. It was behaving this way for the past 2 months on systems that have never been over clocked. It was also doing on my new build prior to over clocking. It's definately not related. Explorere was also failing to respond everytime I right clicked on a photo- I would right click, say to try to select 'resize', then it would do nothing but lock up and display 'not responding'. I'd have to force a close and restart explorer. But this only occured on the 32bit W7 7100. This issue hasn't cropped up on the 64bit version...yet. I cannot pin it down to any particular program (the 'computer' issue on the 64bit). I'll have no other programs running and one minute I'll click -start-computer- and it'll show all my drives with no problems at all, then 1 min later I'll do the same and the green bar of death occurs as it seeks for the drives (little magnifying glasses swirl on the folders on the left) but nothing happens. The only option to get it access to my files is to either access them through the 'open' function of a program then right click on the file I want to work with to copy it to the desktop (!) or reboot. Very frustrating. I'll try and remove programs one by one to see if I can find the cause, but any tips would be helpful. Cheers.
    Tuesday, September 01, 2009 1:47 AM
  • I have exactly the same issue, any luck in solving this?

Sunday, October 30, 2011 8:35 PM
  • Same here. If I open "computer" on my Win7 64-bit system, it just "searches" forever with the green bar and the spinning donut. Nothing will ever happen. All drives and files are accessible if I use direct paths, but "computer" just won't display anything.
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:55 PM
  • I have the same problem plus the control panel does exactly the same....i need help..any tip will do.

Friday, November 25, 2011 9:49 PM
  • Any fix to this yet?  I'm having the same issue on 4 different computers.  I can recreate almost every time.  If I use task manager to kill explorer.exe and then start it again I'm able to browse My Computer normally until I close it it and try to reopen.  This also affects the Control Panel.  No icons appear at all in Control Panel. 

Monday, March 26, 2012 8:09 PM
  • Hi!

Did you solve this problem? Because I am having the same after playing with services (now in default mode again) and installed updates (new version of Microsoft Security tool).

Kr,

Fabio

Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:07 AM