none
Unable to connect to Shared printer, Vista -to- XP...

Question

• Well I'm trying to use my XP box to be a print server, I have 3 vista boxes that will not connect to any of the printers that I have installed on the XP machine, I turned off firewalls , I spent sometime with lexmark tech support to get no where, they gave me drivers, I installed them. I got it to print every thing with the Lexmark E330, the Dell 1710 printed fine with no extra drivers. But Vista is asking me where the proper *inf files are located at when I point it at the *.inf files that the lexmark installer installed none work. The guy at Lexmark was less then helpful, kept on repeating steps to no avail, then tried them again. Is it the fact that the installer and .DLLs that control it are pointing at files that are not really used for the print job but are confusing Vista because they can't find the files that it thinks it needs? 

I'm at a loss for ideas on how to fix this with out upgrading the XP box to Vista...
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 7:19 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Based on the current situation, I would like to propose the following suggestions:

1. Can you access files in the computer running Windows XP from the computer running Windows Vista? You should configure printer settings first.

File and Printer Sharing in Windows Vista

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx#EFAA

2. Connect to a shared printer from Windows Vista.

1)     Click the Start button, and in the Search box, type \\ followed by the name of the computer with the shared printer you want to use (for example, \\mylaptop).

2)     Press Enter.

3)     If Windows can find the computer on the network, a folder will open for the computer. Double-click Printers. If any shared printers are connected to this computer, they will appear here. If you don't see the shared printer you want to use, ask a person who uses that computer if the printer is connected, turned on, and shared with other users on the network.

4)     Double-click the printer. Windows will automatically add the printer to your computer and install the printer driver. When the process is complete, click Next. 

5)     The printer should appear in your Printers folder. You can select this printer when you want to print a document or other type of file.

Note: If Windows can't automatically find and install the printer driver that allows this shared printer to work with your computer, you need to install the driver before you will be able to print.

1) Download Windows Vista compatible driver in the following website:

http://downloads.lexmark.com/perl/downloads/downloads.cgi

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

2) Remove the existed print driver and reinstall it.

Remove printer

==============

a)     Click the "Start" button, type PRINTER in the search box and press Enter.

b)     Find the icons which are related to Dell photo924, and delete them.

c)     Right-click on the blank part of the window, and choose "Run as administrator"->"Server Properties".

d)     On the Drivers tab, select the listed printer and click the Remove button. Please then select Remove driver and driver package.

e)     Open Start menu, input APPWIZ.CPL in the Search box and press ENTER to launch "Programs and Features".

f)      Try to remove all related printer software.

g)     Reinstall the latest driver.

After installing the driver, please follow the steps below 

Add a shared printer

====================

a)     Click Start, click Control Panel and double click Printers.

b)     On Keyboard press Alt, then click File->Run as administrator->Add Printer.

When UAC window pops up, click Continue to go on.

c)     Select "Add a local printer".

d)     Select "Create a new port". Choose "Local Port" as the type of the port.

e)     In the box "Enter a port name", type the address as the following format.

\\[IP address of the host computer]\[The Share Name of the printer]

f)      Then click Next.

g)     Follow the instruction to finish the installation. During installing, choose the correct driver in the driver list.

3. Try to connect printer to Windows Vista machine directly and see if it prints normally.

If it works fine, the issue is related to network sharing, you may need to reset your network settings.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Friday, June 05, 2009 8:58 AM