Windows 7 Home Premium network backup

Question

• I see, to my great annoyance, W7 Home Premium 64 has lost the capability to backup to a network drive  which Vista 64 Home Premium had.   Is it likely that this decision will be changed by MS.
    If I have to find an aftermarket backup utility for W7 I will but I'd rather not.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 3:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• Unlikely to change in the near future, if you like that feature I'd look for a program that can. You could also do an Anytime Upgrade to Professional.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 11:52 PM
  • I too just found this out and I find it appalling.  I had this capability in Vista, and just lost it when I paid for and applied the "upgrade" to Windows 7.  That will teach me not to upgrade a Microsoft product without carefully reading the fine print.  I am amazed that the response is a choice of 1) buy a product from someone else, or 2) pay even more money to Microsoft.

I will probably avoid being an early adopter in the future.  This is not helping me maintain my goodwill towards Microsoft.  Maybe the Apple advertisement campaign could use this.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:03 AM
  • Yes, this is the truth. Windows 7 Home Premium does not support to backup to a network location. You may compare the features from different Windows 7 editions by clicking the following link.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/default.aspx

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 6:55 AM
  • Is it likely that this decision will be changed by MS.  If I have to find an aftermarket backup utility for W7 I will but I'd rather not.

The isn't even the remotest glint of a possibility that the 'decision' would be changed.  The feature set of the various 'versions' of Windows 7 have been cast in concrete since the 'Release Candidate' build, final code has been out for quite a number of months, and the product is now in general availability distribution.  Changing the 'feature set' now is an impossibility.  The time for that has long ago passed, I'm afraid.

You will definitely need to source a third-party backup tool in order to have the capability of backup to network storage, or else purchase an 'upgrade' to a Windows 7 version which includes the capability.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 7:26 AM
  • I cannot even begin to express my HUGE disappointment with Windows 7 and this specific feature. I was told to upgrade to the Home Premium version by the store clerk where I purchased the upgrade. Following their direction, I paid for the upgrade, installed it, and then find that this hugely important feature no longer exists. I paid for an upgrade to a version of Windows that essentially does nothing great, as far as I'm concerned, and it removed an essential feature I used to have in Vista. Reviewing the chart that indicates the difference between the versions did not specifically identify that network locations would no longer be an option for backups in the Home Premium. The chart I'm referring to is not the one outlined in this thread. The link here actually does articulate that it's not available. The one I was directed to did NOT point this out.
    In other Windows releases we would see a drastic change to the OS. All I see are 'tweaks' that, in my opinion, should have been offered as FREE upgrades to improve the quality of Windows, thus keeping their clients wanting to continue using it. I have always been a hardcore Windows supporter. This recent upgrade was enough of a disappointment for me to make me want to switch to a Mac. I am very upset that I had to pay for this upgrade, which again does not offer anything exciting or improved, and removed an essential feature for me.
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 4:37 PM
  • Big disappointment for me as well, not being able to backup to my network drive with Home Premium Edition.  That coupled with the lack of an imbedded email program.

I feel like I was better of staying with Vista Home.  All my bases were at least covered there.  Will probably go back to it given the situation with Win 7 and just chalk this experience up as a loss moneywise.  Refuse to pay any more for the options and don't feel I should have to.

Highly doubt I'll go into the next Microsoft Op system so willingly.
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 5:09 AM
  • Hello,

I just "bought" (small fee) the upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 Premium for a laptop. Besides this, I already bought a router, which supports a NAS-feature, so that I could put backups on the NAS ... Unfortunately I just found out like all the people here that Premium doesn't support network backup ...

Mu choices are now:
      * Pay 150 € for an upgrade to Professional ...
      * Pay 44€ for Acronis True Home 2010

If they just would have added the network-share-option to Premium. I think that it would have made the user-experience for my family nicer as I don't the secure zone, ... of Acronis.
    I know that you say it isn't possible to change this, but can't you just push an update? I suppose it is possible, but you considered it a "professional" option. On the other side, premium can backup to Windows Home Server apparently? However, I don't want Windows Home Server ...

Kind regards,

Michel
    Monday, November 23, 2009 8:33 PM
  • My Mac has had Time Machine, and automatic, hourly-incremental network backup in it. For free. For over an year.

I've just bought my last PC.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 12:46 AM
  • I too am highly dissappionted MS excluded network backup from Win 7 OS. I was considering a MAC before I just puirchased my new Win 7 PC. This WILL be my last Windows PC. I promise. I work for a technology research and development firm and my friends look to me for advice regarding technology. I will warn others considering Windows. MS finally convinced me of that! MS made a fool out of me againg. But not a third time!!!
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 7:02 PM
  • Last Windows OS

Agreed! For me as well, I work for a VERY large technology company and I have already been expressing how HUGELY disappointed I am. I'm already scoping out a MAC.
    Friday, December 04, 2009 12:20 AM
  • The decision to cripple Windows 7 Home Premium by not including network backup, a feature that was included in Vista Home Premium, shows the same arrogance and hubris that has made Microsoft so many "enemies" over the years. I was ready to upgrade my home computers until I noticed this (silent) omission, but now I really see no reason to upgrade. While some may argue that W7 is simply a "fix" for Vista and that they shouldn't be charged for this fix, I think the $50 upgrade fee is very reasonable, but removing features at the same time is not. Good luck with this bad business decision. I won't be recommending the upgrade to anyone.

Sunday, December 06, 2009 4:49 PM
  • Wish I had found this thread BEFORE i upgraded 3 computers to W7 Home Premium from Vista HP.  I was assured by the moderator in the OneCare Forum that I would be OK - with MSE and the integral back up capability of W7.  

I went there since I was using the OneCare capability to backup my 2 VISTA notebooks to the external HD on my desktop.  I had done the compatibility program and learned then that I would have to remove OneCare.  MS has abandoned this service (very quietly to their subscribes).  It was/is an excellent service for a 3 user license for $50 per year.  Took care of back up and security and allowed me to keep an eye on all my computers.  This should have been integrated into W7 out of the box for Home Premium.  That alone would have made the upgrade worth it.

Now I am very ticked off.  I have ordered a devise that will create a node on my home network to which I can attach 2 HD.  Does anyone know if that too (along with the money spent on W7 and money lost on OneCare) is further money down the rat hole?

I agree with all the others that the changes to Vista were not worth the money and the knee - capping of Home Premium is highly reprehensible. 

Thursday, December 10, 2009 6:11 PM
  • The problem I see that Microsoft did not consider is/are users of Microsoft Home Server. As with any server one of the main points of a home user within a home network is the ability to backup. If you have a home network how do you safeguard family PC data? Hardware can fail and things can go wrong.

Maybe Microsoft should consider allowing at least a home network backup.
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 8:58 PM
  • That was quite a RANT.  Sounds like you may have more issues that are below the surface other than those of us that are disappointed and even mad that we can't do something in W7 that we COULD DO in Vista Home Premium.  Reasonable enough right? 

With Vista Home Premium and OneCare I had a passable solution to the care and feeding of a 3 Vista computers on my home network - including full and incremental backups to a external HD on my network.  No they were not images and I could retrieve a sigle file if needed. 

What does MS do?  Abandons OneCare subscription service and hobbles W7 HP.  That is quate a GOTCHA :-(

According to NPD, in June, nine out of 10 dollars spent on computers costing $1,000 or more went to Apple. Mac revenue market share in the "premium" price segment was 91 percent, up from 88 percent in May.
    Monday, December 14, 2009 1:06 AM
  • The home server option is not dead, your connector software will still perform as required/intended.

As for Apples market share, as I said, absolutely, PLEASE go join the fanboy club. 

You will experience fewer software/hardware interaction problems in the long run, but that is mostly based on the fact that there isn't as much stuff available for the Mac that has to play well together.  MS is constantly taking hits for the things other vendors do, like late or non-existant drivers and that sort of thing, but it just becomes so easy to blame MS.  I've even heard it stated that if the vendor doesn't come through with upgraded drivers, the onus is on MS to bridge the gap.  Sort of funny, my daughter tried to get a new wirelss service recently but her OS was one step too old.  Her option?  Upgrade.  Meanwhile, the same vendors wireless service offering had compatibility back to Win98 with readilly available drivers.  OK, so you say the Mac upgrades are cheap enough, why not just move up to the latest and be done with it?  well, that's where the stickiness starts to set in.  Seems upgrading would render her printer drivers incompatible, and she'd have to get a new printer because the printer vendor chose not to write drivers for the new release.  So, have wireless internet (meaning have internet access), or keep the printer.  In the Mac world this becomes a simple case of blaming the printer manufacturer for not supporting the new OS, but for PC people it's MS's fault for making the OS incompatible with older drivers, the manufacture for planned obsolescence, AND MS for not rewriting the driver FOR the printer manufacturer in order to make the user's experience seamless.  In other words, Apple makes a superior product, and MS is acting in colluosion with 3rd party vendors in order to enhance everyone's cash flow at the expense of their customers. 

But the real gotcha is the stuff that no one would even consider not working perfectly is the stuff that'll bite you, case(s) in point my daughter's ongoing issues.  The other killer for me is all of the liars ads Apple produced making light of the UAC in Vista, guess what pops up on my daughter's and son in law's machines?  The Mac version of a UAC.  When asked about it the reply is it only makes sense to warn the user that their actions could have consequences.  When asked why millions were spent airing ads making fun of a UAC when their machines sported the direct equivalent, well, I guess they are still playing the game that their machines require no special inteligence to operate, ergo their users are stupid enough not to know the difference?

Seriously, I wish the Mac community all the best.  I wish Apple would gain as much market share as it possibly can, and I hope their users aren't too disappointed when they come to realize that all of the ads are suspect, that Macs get viruses and malware too (and that will only increase with market share as we all know), and that the simplest stuff is where most of the "works better every time" advertizing is most solidly providing the highest levels of disinformation.

Make the move.  Join the club.  Enjoy a life completely free of computer related hiccups and "gotchas".  And when all of them come home to roost, when everything is not magically perfect due to superior coding at the hands of the masters at Apple, well the upshot is at least your aren't stuck having to deal with MS anymore.  Never mind you'll still have issues, it just won't be MS anymore.  You'll just be helping Al gore and the team of liars that run the advertizing department at your new computer home.

As for my having "issues below the surface", you really should know that I spend far more time helping my Mac-indoctrinated daughter than I do my son, my other daughter, my mother, my brother, my sister, my Aunt, my coworkers ALL COMBINED.  I wasn't buying Apples line of excrement, but being a good father, I'm most certainly paying the price.  But thanks for trying to turn it into something it's not.

DAS
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 3:34 PM
  • suggest to backup to local drive and create scheduled task with robocopy command to copy the backup file onto your network drive.
    will that do?
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 2:14 AM
  • Dear Mr. Li:

As I read this forum, I am stunned. It's quite simple: after putting hours and hours into changing operating systems from XP/Vista to Windows 7 Home Premium I have DOWNGRADED my machine. Even my most basic Win95 machine could connect to a network drive. So, here's MY solution:

Everybody, do what I did: go to one of your geek friends. Ask them for Linux. It connects to everything and works on just about every machine out there including your phone(s)!

Here's what I did: I got the CD/DVD and booted up. (In my case, I chose OpenSuSE http://www.opensuse.org/ ). It detected all my hardware correctly. It shrank the Windows partition on my hard drive and installed in only an hour and a half!! That included ALL software: OpenOffice (full Office-compatible suite), Evolution (like Outlook), Firefox, the GIMP (Photoshop), Pidgin (Yahoo!/Windows Messenger) and much, much more. Any time I can't do something or wonder about some capability, I simply do one click and install the software. My machine never crashes, doesn't get viruses, I don't pay for any upgrades ever and I have all the software I want. Also, I'm still left with a choice to boot Windows as well.

Price: $0.00!!!

Make the switch like I did. You won't look back.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 4:31 PM
  • Thanks for the input ... w/ Vista and OneCare I had a very good & painless solution to spyware, virus and backup for the desktop CPU and 2 notebooks. 

Now I have had to invest in a Win Home Server ... we will see how that goes.  As you know "Sneaker Netting" laptops to an external HD for backups is not a reliable solution as it requires human intervention.  The human would probably be me.  The cost was about a wash to the PRO "anytime" upgrade for 3 computers  - which I think would have also worked.   Will see which turns out to be more more of a pain ;-/  ... certainly this W7 adventure has cost way more $$ and work than I planned.  Reviews on the Home Server have been very positive.

At least a home server will be able to support any future Macs :-) I may purchase (at DAS's suggestion) & the 2 XP computers that I still own.

So far I have seen nothing in W7 that is any noticeable improvement over Vista.  It may all be below the surface. 
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 12:00 AM
  • That's not true. Changes and implementations are always made to operating systems as public demand grows and glitches are found.These changes are normally made available thru Service Packs, updates and patches. If Microsoft finds that there is enough demand and need for these changes to be implemented and integrated in the Os, I am sure they will come up with an upgrade. Most computers bought thru a retail outlet such Best Buy, Office Depot, etc, come with the home premium edition of the OS. Vista or 7. Lots of business purchase PCs for their business thru these outlets without realizing that in order to maintain low and competitive prices computers are sold with the cheaper version of the operating system, and therefore its limitations. It is simply a marketing strategy. Now if you want a (business) computer or a Pc that offer full feauters such as networking you should then, upgrade or buy a PC appropiate to meet your requirements. Before you a PC it is recommended to check what features different version offers. Without a doubt, starting from the Ultimate Edition in Vista and 7 offer the most features. 
    atell02
    Friday, January 08, 2010 2:40 PM
  • When someone has Windows Vista Home and upgrades to Windows 7 Home their should be no degradation to the operating system they upgraded from. If you had backup in that version you should have backup in the subsequent version or Microsoft should provide a patch for it. Alternatively then a free backup software option should be available to those who have Windows Home Server
    Friday, January 08, 2010 9:01 PM
  • Not that it matters, but I too would add my disappointment with this Microsoft decision to not allow backup to a home network. This does not make good sense. What is the point of investing in Microsoft's Home Server if I have to pay for the 7 Professional desktop to use it. I think Microsoft has taken a step back from recent improvement in good customer relations and in customer loyalty. I think many will now not buy the Microsoft Home Server but will use third party backup software and the old Workgroup network to save their backups. Your financial loss, Microsoft.

No cheers here ...
    Friday, January 22, 2010 8:14 PM
  • Isseuu ...
    With Home Server you load the "connector" software on all of your PCs to backup you computers on the home network not the native OS "backup feature" on the computers. 

For the Home Server I purchased it works 'good' but for backups for any NTFS computers ... it will not back up a FAT32 tablet PC. You can also create Personal Folders on the home server for each user to store their documents.  If you use 'make available off line' it should synch to your local machine or you can manually keep copies on both.  I have not tested this on my home server but I think I am correct. 

I also agree with Robert3892.  Atell45 you are wrong for the reasons stated by Robert. I also had the capability to back up to an external HD over the home network w/ Vista and when I upgraded to W7 I lost that capability.  That is why I had to buy the Home Server.  Had I known I would have not upgraded to 7 and stood pat.  Costly mistake. 

Home server also support sharing your iTunes on all your computers (but not your playlists).  I have an HP home server w/ Atom processor - came w/ about 650 GB and I added a 750 external (it immediately reformats and any data on it is lost).  I can add 2 more USB HD.   Costco has some 1.5 TB for about $130.   At the current accretion rate I probably will not need to add one for 4 to 6 months - maybe longer.  The backups keep the last 3 daily back ups the last 3 weekly backup and the last three monthly backups. 

Still not happy but I think I got the better solution than upgrading again to W7 Pro X 3.

Friday, January 22, 2010 9:41 PM
  • The problem here has to do with the average comsumer purchasing cheap computers from Brandsmart or Walmart or any other reatil outlet to be used on a business environment. They come pre loaded with Home premium Edition of 7. I did not used Vista much, but reading the forum I realized the missing feature of Windows 7 Premium to backup to a network drive and it is disappointing indeed. I have been recommending Windows 7 to some of my costumers, but i have to add that version to buy would be Ultimate if the pcs are going used in a business settings.

Im still a Microsoft guy, They certainly missed the bus on this one.

atell02
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 12:26 AM
  • I just realized the same thing.  I am incredibly upset.  You look at all the microsoft advertising regarding windows 7 home networking capabilties and I am also disgusted that I can not back up to my network hard disk device.  That's stupid!!!!  I shouldn't have to go to windows 7 professional to do this!!  Microsoft you are wrong!!!
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 5:14 PM
  • You are right!  It amounts to bait and switch or deceptive advertising.
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 6:20 PM
  • Wow. Just...Wow.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 10:12 PM
  • Is this file backup or image backup you're referring to? Is file backup (non-system image backup) missing in 7 Home Premium? We've never had image backup to network in any edition of Vista.
    Anonymuos
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 5:18 AM
  • You could all just use this: http://www.comodo.com/home/data-storage-encryption/comodo-backup.php

It's a free backup solution that supports backing up to a network location.

:D

Monday, March 29, 2010 6:43 AM
  • It is possible to backup to a network share.

http://www.roflxd.com/index.php?q=node/3

This article explains on how to do it.

Saturday, April 17, 2010 4:37 AM
  • This is a crappy solution. There nothing like networking your machines adding an external hard drive for backup and be able to see your external backup device on the network and bingo backup your machine files and folders to your external backup unit.

We need simple solutions. The average consumer does not know much about computers to start with. Let alone explaning how to add a virtual hard drive which nothing more than shared folder. which doesnt reside externally on a network.

atell02
    Monday, April 19, 2010 3:21 PM
  • This is crapy solution for the average consumer who don't know much about computers. They want have the ability to network their machines, (workgroup), hook up an external drive, share it on the network, view it on the network, and able to simple backup to it.

atell02
    Monday, April 19, 2010 3:34 PM
  • This is crapy solution for the average consumer who don't know much about computers. They want have the ability to network their machines, (workgroup), hook up an external drive, share it on the network, view it on the network, and able to simple backup to it.

atell02

Well you can bite your own eye for all i care.

I provided a solution that is attainable within the framework of windows 7.

If you dont like it dont use it.

Youre just like every customer i meet, complaint about something then when a solution is presented its too complex or in your case its crappy.

Sheesh, be happy there is a workaround.

Monday, April 19, 2010 8:21 PM
  • Sheesh,  be happy there is a workaround.

To anyone missing this feature:

In addition to the above method there are also many 3rd party programs you can use to backup to a network - use Google, they are easy to find and some are free.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 12:55 AM
  • Microsoft isn't as half as irritating as people like this. Nice personal attack against forum members there, no need. Windows Backup is inneffective and unforfilling and it's a feature I havn't missed in Windows 7, in fact loosing it is a small price to pay for upgrading to Windows 7 from Vista or XP. It's a he'll of alot more stable than Vista and XP is outdated now. Windows 7 is awesome and it would be great if it had a Time Machine style backup system but I think there are good alternatives for backup out there. Don't be put off by this, the basic package will do everything you need.
    • Edited by SamTudor Wednesday, April 28, 2010 4:57 PM Typos
    • Proposed as answer by Omar Aj Saturday, February 12, 2011 8:53 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Thursday, December 29, 2011 3:18 AM
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 4:55 PM
  • I think you are totally and completely wrong !! Simply beacuse you think you have the ability or the some knowledge of computers others should have it too. Not all things are created equal. 99.9 % of people have very little knowledge of computers. Let alone the ability to create networks and work with devices that are totally strange to them.

The average small business guy needs couple of computers for his business, he goes to Walmart  and purchase a All In The Box machine for $ 500.00 bucks and a AIO printer. hires someone to hooks everythings up; workgroup them, share the printer,  share files, the ability to access the shares outside the machine (external drives) etc. A simple experience right out of box, not having to do a computer course on features and what version of Windows does what. This is where Microsoft missed the boat. The beauty of Windows XP; that ability to perform network functions without sacrifing you pocket or your brain for that matter; even with Xp Home Edition you have ability to add network functionality, only available on the professional version, and integrate them at the workgroup level at the very least.

Making the whole computing experience simpler, easier, linear, and plain is what most people are looking for, not having to buy 2 machines only to find out that in order to access something outside the machine you have to spend additional money and resources,. Install Home Server add the connector blah, blah blah. This not what most people want or expect.  

atell02
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 5:34 AM
  • I don't think people here are talking about Windows backup. We're talking about having the ability to "save" your files and folder if need it to an external drive; the ability to "see" that external Backup device on the network and the ability to access it.
    atell02
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 5:49 AM
  • There is a potential workaround to this (rather egregious, imho) exclusion that I didn't see mentioned here:  iSCSI.

With a little bit of Googling for some free iSCSI target server software and maybe 5-10 minutes of setup time, depending on your proficiency, you CAN do network backups in Windows 7 home by convincing Windows that the networked drive is actually local.

It does still require some third party software, but only server side.  The stock Windows 7 backup and restore functionality will work just fine with the iSCSI target once it's configured.  I found this to be a rather more elegant solution than using third party backup software.

This obviously won't work for a cheap turnkey NAS device, but if you want to backup to another PC, it is an option (plus, SANs are cool).

Edit: Gah,  didn't see PlasmaFlow's solution - that looks even easier.

SANs are still cool, though. :)

Friday, June 11, 2010 11:01 PM
  • I'm tired of answering this:

1) Install M$ SyncToy. Bing it. Download it from M$. Install it.

2) Backup to somewhere you can back up to.

3) set up SyncToy to keep the files in sync. I do it this way on login, the *evil, screw-the-little-guy-b/c-we-can* Microsoft has provided you with a simple task scheduler.

4) use the task scheduler to make this happen automatically, heck, put backup-then-sync in the same dang thing; you could even go with a backup-then-sync-then-delete-local-copy scheduled task.

Enjoy.

Friday, June 25, 2010 2:50 AM
  • Choir Preach Here:

Boss at BP bought a new Mac, gloated about it to folk, bought a scanner from Wal-Mart, threatened to FIRE me when I told him he bought the wrong thing, that NeatWorks makes a Mac specific model, didn't get fired, he had to go buy another scanner.

Friday, June 25, 2010 2:53 AM
  • thanks... easy workaround
    Saturday, July 10, 2010 4:23 AM
  • this sounds like a decent work around to me.  but i don't seem to be able to change the back up location.  it is defaulting to my "D" (dvd) drive and won't let me change it to C/.  Any suggestions on how to change it?  And I am also very disappointed that I can't backup to a network drive.  MS - you should fix this issue.
    Sunday, July 11, 2010 4:26 PM
  • I'm tired of answering this:

1) Install M$ SyncToy. Bing it. Download it from M$. Install it.

2) Backup to somewhere you can back up to.

3) set up SyncToy to keep the files in sync. I do it this way on login, the *evil, screw-the-little-guy-b/c-we-can* Microsoft has provided you with a simple task scheduler.

4) use the task scheduler to make this happen automatically, heck, put backup-then-sync in the same dang thing; you could even go with a backup-then-sync-then-delete-local-copy scheduled task.

Enjoy.

SyncToy is the perfect solution!  I have used it at several businesses to overcome the no network backup issue and it works without a hitch.  Another plus is that you have instant access to all your files without having to restore an entire backup. 
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 7:58 PM
  • Dude people seriously, this isn't such a big deal as you make it out to be. Use comodo, its free and it works. It has more options than Windows backup. Yes it works over network and unlike the Windows version you change how much traffic it eats up AND pause a full backup. I tried Windows 7 backup on ultimate and it freezes without telling you. Microsoft does do stupid things, but its not responsible when you know this and let these things get to you.

@ "I'm moving to Apple?"

Seriously? Like someone said on this board you'll run into more troubles. I don't like them because they charge through the nose. I need a bluetooth keyboard and the only one that is sold anywhere around here is an Apple one (besides its an apple product that the keyboard is for) and the damn thing is $69. Best buy had different brands a week or two ago and they were cheaper.

Thursday, August 05, 2010 7:14 PM
  • Already did it. Now I own a MacBook Pro, iPhone, iPod Nano (mini touch), 3 iPod Touchs for my kids, and an iPad. Best of all, I can honestly say I LOVE them. All in the last 16 months... I still use and know Windows best, but am happy to be able to run both Mac OSx and Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro.

-posted from my iPad.

Wednesday, January 05, 2011 1:38 AM
  • The reason that the network backup feature is absent from Win 7 Home Prof. is due to the lack of domain support and has nothing to do with sticking it to users.

The rest of the responses I leave for someone who has time for it.

Thursday, January 06, 2011 6:42 AM
  • The reason that the network backup feature is absent from Win 7 Home Prof. is due to the lack of domain support and has nothing to do with sticking it to users.

Yeah thats great, but seeing as everyone is selling NAS gear and making it affordable for the home user .. an application to utilize it would be nice. Las time I checked , my Domain controller was at work and not home. The app that came with my Dlink NAS is junk.
    Friday, January 07, 2011 5:02 AM
  • First of all, some recovery disc set (Compaq, at least...) have the capability of making a whole-system-image backup over a LAN. On the other hand, Partimage could do the same working on a single partition at a time.
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 4:59 PM

No and no.
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 1:24 PM
  • Anyone try Macrium Reflect, or Comodo backup?
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:16 PM

Err but Vista Home had this feature so it is a step backwards. It is meant to be going forwards.
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 12:27 PM
  • BUT, the Windows 7 Upgrade advisor DOES NOT TELL YOU THIS! It only told me I would lose a couple of minor features that I did not care about. I found  out a week later when the automatic backup kicked in and failed.

Saturday, April 02, 2011 10:25 PM
  • Regarless how you feel about this, and I am really pissed, at least the help screen that describes why a backup location (i.e. the network drive) you are expecting to see is not there should mention that network drives are not supported.  Better yet, you should take the "map network drive" option out of the tools menu because it just misleads the user.  None of the help screens made it obvious this feature had been removed and I just wasted half a day ........
    Bill
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 3:34 PM
  • I'm a staunch MS supporter, but I'm just about to join those that spell the company name with a dollar sign.  I was all ready to use my trusty ntbackup.exe script that I've used for years only to find it replaced by this "lovely" wbadmin tool.  First I get slapped with "Performing a backup to a remote shared folder is not supported by this edition of Windows."  After I cooled off I figured I'd just write the backup to a local directory and they copy it manually to a network share only to get this salt in the wound - "A partial backup of volumes is not supported on this version of Windows."  Are you f'ing kidding me????

"The reason that the network backup feature is absent from Win 7 Home Prof. is due to the lack of domain support and has nothing to do with sticking it to users."

Umm, no - pass-thru authentication still works just fine so domain support is not a precursor to network backups.

• Proposed as answer by Sushovon Sinha Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:23 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Sushovon Sinha Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:23 PM
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 2:09 AM
  • I have found a workaround to backing up Windows 7 Home Premium on a second home computer by a copy-paste method. Chances are that the second computer is not Windows 7 and therefore cannot be part of Windows 7 Homegroup. In my case it is Windows XP. So here are the steps:

1. Make a backup of Windows 7 HP into any folder of the same computer.

2. Arrange for a  LAN crossover cable to connect the WIN 7HP computer to the second home computer.

3. Before making the crossover connection ensure the following configuration:

(i)  both the computers have the "same Workgroup name". Change the Workgroup name of one of the computers to that of the other. The computer will reboot to effect the change.

(ii)  Enable "Sharing" of the drive in the second home computer which needs to be accessed from the WIN 7HP computer for copying the backup. The sharing tab is located in the Drive Properties window.

(iii) The "Network discovery" option of the Public Network in WIN 7HP is turned on. To do this:

Open Control Panel and click Network and Sharing Centre icon. On the Left pane click the link "Change advanced sharing settings".

In the sharing settings window, there are 2 profiles defined (a) Home or Work (b) Public.

Expand the Public profile by the drop-down button and select the options:
    Turn on Network discovery and File and printer sharing

4. Connect the WIN 7HP by a Lan crossover cable to a second computer.  It takes about a minute for the two computers to establish a connection. You can verify the progress by clicking the Network and Sharing Centre icon in Control Panel. Once the connection is established, the connection map at the top will show "Unidentified network".

5. Map the second computer target drive in WIN 7HP through Windows Explorer -> Tools menu -> Map network drive... The target drive and all its folders appears as a network drive in WIN 7HP.

6. The mapping process does not require a Password Authentication. Not even the IP address jugglery we did in the past to connect two XP machines.

7. Copy paste the WIN 7HP backup folders to the second home computer.

8. The Shadow files are not copied. This should not be a critical problem, as only the latest backup is copied. The Shadows files contains earlier backup points relative to the current backup.

CAUTION ! In a crashed computer, the network storage location of the backup file may not be readily accessable for restoration.

Sushovon Sinha  :D

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:43 PM
  • I agree!  You would think this would be the common business practice but not for microsoft.  Their practice is more of deception then common sense practices.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:38 PM
  • Yes, And microsoft is also so soft to not include this problem in their "KB" to make sure that as much as possible people are left in the dark for as much time as possible. Untile it is googled under "w7 back up does not connect to network drives". It is save for them to proudly announce that this will not get fixed as almost nobody will read it!

Another nice tip:

I bought McAfee back up and guess what?? It also can't connect to the network drive just the same! And that just in the age where almost everybody has a homenetwork running, unbelievable.

This is absolute real crap! Thanks for so much ignorance! and indeed.. an Apple get in focus more and more for me too. Abd after all.. What the game for MS in this? As if they ever give help or support in any field for home users.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 11:11 PM
  • I realize this is an old post, but still a relevant topic.  Windows 7 Home Premium *CAN BE BACKED UP TO NETWORK* via the following work-around: 

Disk Management > Create VHD (Virtual Hard Drive) on the NETWORK

Attach/Mount VHD (automatic upon creation) > Initial & Assign local drive letter

Backup to VHD saved on the network.

My VHD is set to automatically expand as needed which I realize will eventually overrun the network storage, but I can always manage backups manually.

Hope that helps!!!

Michael

Friday, September 30, 2011 4:56 PM
  • Yes, Michael. That does help.

After plugging through the first 50 or so responses in this 2 year old post I was about to attempt what you have suggested here (starting with drive mapping). I'm glad this has worked for you. Your post has eliminated some of the experimentation I would have gone through.

I'll test your approach right away.

btw,

Thank you for keeping your post succinct, helpful and opinion free. There's a vast segment of the web community consisting of folks (like myself) who come to these forums for solutions. It's always a treat to find real answers.

Saturday, November 19, 2011 7:59 PM
  • Thanks Michael, Your post really helped. I have two laptops being backed up as I type PAul
    Sunday, November 20, 2011 2:07 AM
  • Thanks Michael.  I am backing up to a networked WIN7 Home machine now. Elegant.  And fun to watch the VHD size increase during backup.  Wish I had more exciting things to do, but thanks again for saving me a headache. Did not like Comodo, or having to explain it to my wife.
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 1:58 AM
  • Wow! Thank you so much.  I wish your post was at the top :)  Lots of mud to wade through to get to your easy solution!
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:42 AM