none
All programs disappeared from the Start Menu after installing updates from Windows Update

Question

• Hi,
    I just installed a bunch of updates using Windows Update, and all the programs have disappeared from my Start menu, and the applications that were installed as a service do not start.
    It is a Windows XP Pro SP3.

I found the Sysstem restore tool in System32/Restore/rstrui.exe, restored to a known correct point in time, but it did not heal the PC.

Any ideas?

BalintN
    Saturday, May 08, 2010 12:05 PM

All replies

• After the restore I can see the list of missing updates: these are the ones that were included in the updating that caused the problems:

KB979402, KB977816, KB978338, KB978601, KB979309, KB979683, KB980232, KB981349, KB890830

BalintN
    Saturday, May 08, 2010 12:09 PM
  • Hi,

It may be a hard task to fix. Try first unisnstall above udpates using Control Panel - add and remove software - select show updates and unistall them. You can also use Microosft Utility Windows Installer Clean up to remove unwanted updates.

In the mid time, try to create new user account and find out whether its experinced the same issue!

It may be malware or viruse infaction. Use Antiviruse sofware and one of the Malware removale such Spyware Search and Destoy. Clean up temp folders either I.E. and profile one.

If it did work, let me know. I have got same more steps to try.

Bart

Bart Kurowski IT Suport Analyst MCP, MCST, MCITP, MCAS
    Saturday, May 08, 2010 5:20 PM
  • I have one answer now: the Administrator account (that was disabled at the time of the update, and re-enabled to test what you suggested) experienced the same loss of Start Menu entries.
    BalintN
    Saturday, May 08, 2010 8:21 PM
  • Hi,

1. Try remove IconCache.db:

Just refresh the icon cache by deleting the IconCache.db file from your profile directory (usually /Documents and Settings/Username/Local Settings/Application Data). It will be automatically recreated. 

2. Copy Start Menu contant from /documents and settings/all users/start menu - into /documents and settings/%your profile%/start menu

3. It may worth to install TweakUI from Microsoft website. It is very handy tool, accessing few hidden option ex. Start Menu settings. TweakUI accessing registry and may your issue.

bart

Bart Kurowski IT Suport Analyst MCP, MCST, MCITP, MCAS
    Sunday, May 09, 2010 12:01 AM
  • Hi Bart,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I doubt that it would do anything, as I have services that don't start now. Refreshing icons would do nothing about that, would it?

Never mind, I went for the restore option. Thanks anyway,
    B

BalintN
    Sunday, May 09, 2010 10:19 PM