none
Window 7 Pro Boot Failure

Question

• After installing the latest update this afternoon my system will no longer boot on its own. It get's to the "Starting Windows" line, but then there is no disk activity and the flying windows never appear. The only way I'm able to use the system is to boot off the System Recovery DVD.

The Startup Repair utility is unable to resolve the problem. I've tried reverting to earlier restore points with no results. I've also tried to restore using my System Backup images, which didn't help either. I've tried System Backup restore with and without the repartition option, with the same unsuccessful result, however I'm not convinced it actually repartitioned the drive.

I've installed no new hardware or applications and have been running Windows 7 on this laptop since the beginning of the year.

Any help would be appreciated.

Friday, October 15, 2010 1:25 AM

Answers

• Hi,

First, please let me know the names and IDs of the updates which you have installed before the issue occurs.

Before moving on, please unplug all the unnecessary devices.

You could  try to use the system startup repair form System Recovery Options:

1). you may go to perform System File Checker in Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE). You can access WinRE using F8 at the boot menu, select Repair Your Computer to start WinRE.

2). If Startup Repair still fails, please use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista or Windows 7.

3). Please run “CHKDSK” to check the hard drive.

If above suggestions cannot fix the issue, you may perform an In-Place upgrade to repair the system.

In-place Upgrade

============

1. Start the computer.

2. Insert the Windows 7 DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

a. If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.

b. If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

b1. Click Start, click Run, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK. Note Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b2. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the Which type of installation to you want? screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows 7.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, October 26, 2010 3:10 AM
    Monday, October 18, 2010 8:21 AM

All replies

• I've seen this exact same thing with 3 Win7x64 notebooks.  One I was able to force to start back into Windows normally and it continues to now, another I've gone through some of the above steps you've already mentioned and am told the MBR is corrupt (when the repair fails), and a third (in a remote office) won't even get to the Windows logo screen anymore.

In every case, the last thing done was to install the latest MS security updates and reboot them.

If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to share.

Thank you

Friday, October 15, 2010 2:53 PM
  • Hi,

First, please let me know the names and IDs of the updates which you have installed before the issue occurs.

Before moving on, please unplug all the unnecessary devices.

You could  try to use the system startup repair form System Recovery Options:

1). you may go to perform System File Checker in Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE). You can access WinRE using F8 at the boot menu, select Repair Your Computer to start WinRE.

2). If Startup Repair still fails, please use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista or Windows 7.

3). Please run “CHKDSK” to check the hard drive.

If above suggestions cannot fix the issue, you may perform an In-Place upgrade to repair the system.

In-place Upgrade

============

1. Start the computer.

2. Insert the Windows 7 DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

a. If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.

b. If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

b1. Click Start, click Run, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK. Note Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b2. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the Which type of installation to you want? screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows 7.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, October 26, 2010 3:10 AM
    Monday, October 18, 2010 8:21 AM