none
Windows 8 invalid ip address issue

Question

• I upgraded my computer from windows 7 ultimate to windows 8 professional.  The internet works great using my ALFA AWUS036H usb wifi network adapter for about two or three days.   With absolutely no changes made to the computer or network I run into problems with limited connectivity.  The computer will connect to the router but will not connect to the internet.  After several hours of fooling around with the network I have found the network does not seem to be the problem because other devices are able to get online using the same router and network.  The only solution that I have found is to re-install windows 8 as an upgrade and the problem resolves itself.  This has happened to me several times and is getting extremely annoying.  Can anyone tell me why the internet would work great for a while and then have issues with "invalid ip address" when no changes have been made?  I am getting tired of having to upgrade windows every other day.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.  
    • Edited by gjf24104 Friday, November 30, 2012 11:21 AM
    Friday, November 30, 2012 11:14 AM

All replies

• The computer will connect to the router but will not connect to the internet.  

The only solution that I have found is to re-install windows 8 as an upgrade and the problem resolves itself.

Can anyone tell me why the internet would work great for a while and then have issues with "invalid ip address" when no changes have been made? 

Sounds like a problem with DNS.  Have you tried using NetMon to see what your symptom involves?  You could take the router out of the problem, at least for the DNS by giving the real addresses to the OS.

Also, W8 makes more use of IPv6.  Perhaps your router doesn't like that?

FWIW reinstalling Windows just for this seems extreme (except maybe for expediency) but you may have to do some diagnosis and testing to find a better workaround.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    --- 

Sunday, December 02, 2012 2:31 AM