none
error code 43 with message 'one of the USB device attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognise it'.

Question

• i have suddenly got this message 'one of the USB device attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognise it'. it says error code 43. the usb drives (2 in no.) have stopped working as in they dont recognise the external hard drive or pen drive.  I have a HP pavilion dv4 series notebook.  the usb drives were working fine - however suddenly yesterday this strange message cropped up. life has taken a drastic turn! please help.

in device status is says:  Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

driver provider:  microsoft

date of driver: 21-06-2006

driver version: 6.1.7600.16385

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 2:37 PM

Answers

• Hello Linda and anyone else who stops by: 

for anyone having a hp laptop...try this link - it worked for me...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Operating-systems-and-software/usb-hub-error/m-p/142479#M20913

QUOTE START: 

Re: usb hub error

10-23-2009 07:58 AM

It actually turned out to be annoyingly easy. 

I finally managed to track down a web post where someone was having the same issue. Taking their suggestion, I turned the laptop off, unplugged it, and pulled out the battery for a few minutes. Then rebooted and... *ding*... works fine.

Seems there's a capacitor on the usb controller that must store a charge to keep the settings fresh. And unless you drain the charge completely from the board, they can get corrupted. Since I rarely turn my laptop off, it never gets drained. I'd power-cycled a few times since having the problem, but never pulled the battery. 

I'm glad it's a simple solution, but I have to confess to being a bit disappointed by this.  Seems like this should fall under the "you shouldn't have to do this" category. 

*shrug*

Maybe this will help someone else, at least.

--kevin 

Quote END

• Marked as answer by ameet2005 Friday, June 25, 2010 3:51 PM
    Friday, June 25, 2010 3:51 PM

All replies

• Hi ameet2005,

Please check if the following suggestions help:

First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

1. Click "Start" button, type “devmgmt.msc” (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press "Enter". Click “Continue” if necessary.

2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the Host Controller, click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

If the issue persists, please check if it can be resolved by running System File Checker.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 7:33 AM
  • Thank you Linda.  I tried uninstalling USB and restarted the laptop. All were reinstalled except the ones which already were giving trouble.

I then ran the system file checker - after the checking was complete -- it said [windows resource protection did not find any intergrity violations.

please advise.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 1:49 PM
  • Hello Linda and anyone else who stops by: 

for anyone having a hp laptop...try this link - it worked for me...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Operating-systems-and-software/usb-hub-error/m-p/142479#M20913

QUOTE START: 

Re: usb hub error

10-23-2009 07:58 AM

It actually turned out to be annoyingly easy. 

I finally managed to track down a web post where someone was having the same issue. Taking their suggestion, I turned the laptop off, unplugged it, and pulled out the battery for a few minutes. Then rebooted and... *ding*... works fine.

Seems there's a capacitor on the usb controller that must store a charge to keep the settings fresh. And unless you drain the charge completely from the board, they can get corrupted. Since I rarely turn my laptop off, it never gets drained. I'd power-cycled a few times since having the problem, but never pulled the battery. 

I'm glad it's a simple solution, but I have to confess to being a bit disappointed by this.  Seems like this should fall under the "you shouldn't have to do this" category. 

*shrug*

Maybe this will help someone else, at least.

--kevin 

Quote END

• Marked as answer by ameet2005 Friday, June 25, 2010 3:51 PM
    Friday, June 25, 2010 3:51 PM
  • Glad to hear you found the solution. Hope this will help other users as well. :-)
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, June 28, 2010 2:57 AM
  • Same problems here, I have gone back to factory setting to try and get this message off my laptop, even did every thing suggested below and still it says Error 43.It's disconnected my media player, and it's so annoying.

• Proposed as answer by tyshecat Sunday, May 25, 2014 5:28 PM
    Sunday, May 25, 2014 5:27 PM