none
Could not attach the USB device. you can attach the USB device to a different USB port or restart the VM and try again

Question

• Hi,

I got a new Dell Inspiron 7720 with Win7 Professional 64 bits SP1 pre installed.  I installed Windows XP Mode and Virtual PC on it.  I need the VM to be able to work with a USB to serial converter manufactured by Keyspan.  The Keyspan PN is USA-19HS.  I already downloaded and installed the keyspan Win7 64 bit drivers on the host machine.  Once the driver was installed, it comes with an application that allows to test the Keyspan device.   I ran this application and the test passes.  The problem I am having is that when I try to attach the keyspan device to a VM, I get the following error "Could not attach the USB device. you can attach the USB device to a different USB port or restart the VM and try again".

After 2 days of looking for a possible solution I decice to re-install win 7 64 bits SP1 and all the drivers, then I re-install winxp mode with virtual pc.  I still have the same problem.

I do not know if this helps but the USB controller installed on the host machine, seems to be ver 3.0

I will appreciate any help I can get on this.

Regards,

Jesus Moncayo

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 8:15 PM

All replies

• It could be related to USB3.  do you have a USB2 port you can test, or can you switch the USB type in the BIOS from 3 to 2?

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 6:16 PM

• Hi,

Please check the following:

1. Does this USB device work on the host?
    2. Check how this device is displayed in Device Manager on the VM.

If other USB devices work besides this one, please also contact the manufacturer Keyspan for help.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:05 AM
  • I think you're going to need to install XP 32-bit drivers for that device on the VM.  When I installed my printer on the host it worked fine, but even though it is a shared printer it wouldn't work on the VM until I installed the 32-bit printer drivers for it over there.

• Edited by iclicker Friday, February 01, 2013 7:49 PM
    Friday, February 01, 2013 7:48 PM
  • I think you're going to need to install XP 32-bit drivers for that device on the VM.  When I installed my printer on the host it worked fine, but even though it is a shared printer it wouldn't work on the VM until I installed the 32-bit printer drivers for it over there.

You cannot install the drivers for the device until the device is recognized within XP Mode.

"Could not attach the USB device. you can attach the USB device to a different USB port or restart the VM and try again" means the device is not being recognized as being connected to XP Mode.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, February 01, 2013 8:35 PM
  • The USB ports are embedded in the computer.  I will try changing the BIOS

To get the most reliable information about your system, you should start by posting in the Dell Community Forums @ http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/default.aspx

Although you will have to un-install the USB3.0 driver and the ports will have to function as USB 2.0 ports for XP Mode to recognize them.

However, I highly recommend you go to Dell for the most reliable information about your system!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Saturday, February 02, 2013 6:40 PM
  • Hi Nicholas,

The Keyspan device works on the host.

On the VM settings, having the COM1 and COM2 set to none, then I launched the VM, checked the device manager and the keyspan is not displayed.

Then I shutdown the VM,  set the VM setting  for COM1  and then select physical serial port to COM3, relaunched the VM and the keyspan is not displayed.

On both cases, on the VM's device manager there are other devices that have a yellow questions mark, under these devices there are 3 "Virtual PC Integration Devices" that also have a yellow question mark. (Please see screen shot beloew).

I also ran the driver installation option for the "Virtual PC Integration Device" but Windows could not find the drivers.

Dell tried installing the drivers remotely but could not do this either.

Dell followed the recommended steps on these links and could not attach the Keyspan to the USB on the VM

http://blogs.technet.com/b/windows_vpc/archive/2009/10/13/using-a-host-guest-communication-channel-in-windows-virtual-pc.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/csstwplatform/archive/2010/02/06/windows-7-xp-mode-question.aspx

Any USB device (Keypan, memory stick, external hard drive, software license dongle, etc) I connect to the host system could not be attached via the USB on the VM.

Saturday, February 02, 2013 7:05 PM
  • The USB ports are embedded in the computer.  I will try changing the BIOS from 3 to 2.  When you ask about USB2 port for testing, are you referring to an external USB2 port hub?
    Saturday, February 02, 2013 7:08 PM
  • The USB ports are embedded in the computer.  I will try changing the BIOS from 3 to 2.  When you ask about USB2 port for testing, are you referring to an external USB2 port hub?

Windows 7 XP Mode is not capable of detecting or recognizing USB 3.0 ports on the host system.  It is only capable of detecting and recognizing USB 2.0 ports.

Your system may have separate USB 2.0 external ports and separate USB 3.0 external ports, but XP Mode can only detect, recognize and utilize external USB 2.0 ports.

• Proposed as answer by RNEELY Wednesday, April 03, 2013 3:16 PM
    Saturday, February 02, 2013 8:36 PM
  • My problem solved after changing USB 3 to USB 2 in BIOS (System configuration: Dell Latitude E 7440, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, Windows XP Mode)

Monday, April 28, 2014 12:51 PM