Windows Update Error 80080005 on Vista

Question

• Just got this new Sony Laptop with Vista Business installed. Trying to check if there is any update avaiable but unfortunately, Windows Update in Vista gives me the Error code of 80080005. Try troubleshooting it without any solutions. No official solutions from the Microsoft troubleshoot website neither. Any ideas what may causes this or any possible solution to this?

Peter

Monday, March 19, 2007 9:25 PM

Answers

•  

Hey I had the exact same problem along with a slew of others:

My Windows Defender had errors every time Vista booted,

MSN Messenger wouldn't start and reported error code: 80048820 Extended error code: 80048416

and my Word 2007 wouldn't publish to my Microsoft Live Blog with a Word cannot register your account error message.

All these problems were fixed because my vista machine was missing a winhttp.dll file.  You may want to check to see if you have one in your C:\Windows\System32 directory. Just copy the file from another Vista machine.  You won't need to reboot.  I have no idea why this file was removed.  Must have been deleted during a Windows update.   If anyone needs a copy of the file leave your email address...

Let us know if solutions helps anyone by replying to this post.  Thanks.

Sunday, July 01, 2007 6:01 AM
  • Just reproducing a general solution from my site. hope it helps :-)

Broadly speaking, you can try one or all of these :

Run CCleaner to clear up PC Junk. Reboot. If you are using windowsupdate try using microsoftupdates and vice versa.

If you still cannot Update Windows Vista (orWinXP/SP2) using windowsupdate, try this :

Open Internet Explorer > Tools >Internet Options > Security > Click 'trusted
    sites' icon >Click Sites > uncheck 'require server verification'
    Then add following sites :
    http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    http://*.windowsupdate.com.

Click Close > Apply > OK. This is known to help the GenuineValidated Windows, in some cases, but not always.

Else, lastly, note your error code and visit this excellent Microsoft Resource :  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/ph/6527/

Search for the solution against your error Code.

Monday, July 09, 2007 2:02 PM
  • Well guys and gals I found a solution to my issue of the error 80080005. It stems from corrupted dll files mainly WUAUCLT1.DLL, WUAUENG1.DLL, WUAUSERV.DLL, CDM.DLL, WUAPI.DLL,WUPS.DLL,WUCLTUI.DLL, AND IUENGINE.DLL. This solution I found under Google search.microsoft. public.windowsupdate. I do not want to take credit for it, but I did not do everything that was done here. I just ran cclean, a free program,  which did nothing for my problem, but clean up over 50 unattached dlls. Of course rebooted and tried to do an update. same error. reloaded all the .dll files (mentioned above), which was probably not necessary if I had followed their example,tried an update and got the update site and found 28 updates. Tried to download updates, but seemed to hang,over 15 minutes, stopped download and decided before I went any further to backup computer. No restore points had been created. Vista ultimate, my version did not automatically set check points like xp did. You have to turn this on. Set to automatic create check points, and restarted windows updater. The first thing it did was to create check point and start down loading. almost every update got a check point. Which means guys and gals dont blame upddates for hoseing your computer with vista. Backup,Backup,Backup.
    Monday, July 09, 2007 9:49 PM

All replies

•  wowpeter wrote:
    Sunday, April 22, 2007 1:51 AM
  • Update on this issues...

I try contacting my computer maker and you
    know what kind of respond I've got from them?

"With regards to your concern, we have forwarded your case to our
    technical department about the Windows Update Error and we have been
    searching for solutions and are unable to provide a solution.
    Unfortunately, Microsoft also cannot provide a solution.   You may
    have to wait for a Windows Vista patch from Microsoft.  "

It is a *** answers that no one, not even Microsoft have any bloody
    idea what's going on. So I donno what to do any more. I am just
    disappointed in the way that Microsoft can't even get the basic right.
    Anyway, if anyone got any solutions to this, I am happy to hear it!

Peter

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 10:00 AM
  • Update on this issue!!!

I try contacting my computer maker and you
    know what kind of respond I've got from them?

"With regards to your concern, we have forwarded your case to our
    technical department about the Windows Update Error and we have been
    searching for solutions and are unable to provide a solution.
    Unfortunately, Microsoft also cannot provide a solution.   You may
    have to wait for a Windows Vista patch from Microsoft.  "

It is a *** answers that no one, not even Microsoft have any bloody
    idea what's going on. So I donno what to do any more. I am just
    disappointed in the way that Microsoft can't even get the basic right.
    Anyway, if anyone got any solutions to this, I am happy to hear it!

Peter

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 10:10 AM
  • aight... add me to the list with the same dumb problem. i really dont want to re-install OS......

this is dumb as hell...

Saturday, May 12, 2007 4:12 AM
  •  

Same, I got this update error code too!!! Since the past 2 weeks Update screen hangs for 2 minutes then shows this error, Im running Vista Ultimate 32 bit Stil no answer (fix)

Stupid thing is we can`t manually download updates for vista? or Can We? ? 

Friday, May 18, 2007 10:49 PM
  • Unfortunately no, for most update you can not manually download updates except for special patch (example: the ipod vista patch)... Sad  I think this is the stupdiest thing microsoft have done!

Peter

Saturday, May 19, 2007 4:15 PM
  • Same issue.  Been searching all over for an answer.  I can't even download via the standalone.  My first 2 days of Vista have proven to be an adventure in poor-products.
    Saturday, May 26, 2007 7:54 AM
  • I'm getting the same error and microsoft want 59.00 minimum to work on their bug.  Has anyone found a solution to the microsoft bug?
    Monday, June 04, 2007 4:21 AM
  • I just got a Dell Dimension E521 with Windows Vista Home Premium.

It has given me more problems in the past two days than I have ever gone through in my entire history since beta with Windows XP.

I also get this weird thing where the screen sort of... "twitches" and then the system hardlocks. (No num-lock control or anything)

I was having some problems connecting to the internet in normal mode, so we (dell tech support and I) reformatted the PC back to factory settings. Now I can't access half my stuff, I don't seem to have administrative control over the computer, and this 800750005 error is coming up whenever I run Windows Update.

I'm only a college student, but I feel as though I will be losing hair very soon. I've worked on these issues for about 24 hours now (spread over 2 days, of course).

What's best yet is I can't get anyone at Dell to give me the address to send the thing back. The tech support treats me like I've never touched a computer "okay, try moving the mouse when it locks up" "uhm, okay, it's not moving" "is the monitor on?"

>.<

/rant

If anyone finds a solution to this, please email it to me. Until then, I think I'll go find the vodka and a straight razor. (jk jk, no one worry about me, lol)

Sunday, June 17, 2007 9:21 AM
  • Just to add another to the list!

I have a Dimension 9200 with Home Premium and get this same damned fool message when I check for updates. Also deeply frustrated that MS do not appear to know what their own error messages mean!!! When I was programming you documented all our error codes on pain of death!

Funny thing is I also have a Dell Latitude D600 on the full version of Vista. While I was using it last night it suddenly downloaded  and installed a raft of MS upgrades faultlessly. It was this that caused me to check for upgrades on the Desktop machine and get this error instead of downloads.

On a more constructive note, how can we download a fix if we cannot download fixes?

Sunday, June 17, 2007 11:07 AM
  • Tried going direct to the MS Download site. When attempting a download direct, the download seems to work fine - however it then comes up with a window titled Windows Update Standalone Installer. This has a colour bar showing that it is doing something before comping up with the (in)famour error 0x80080005 Server Execution Failed.

Does this help any of the gurus out there (perhaps even from MS...) norrow down the problem?

Sunday, June 17, 2007 2:29 PM
  • ahhhhhh - I haver just spotted that this thread has been running for 3 MONTHs without any hint of a solution! A quarter of a year on the premier MS Support site  and still not anwer. Dreadful - but at least when you enter in the code now into search you get two references to this thread.

Perhaps this is why people are happy to run on free software starting with L.....

I suspect going back to XP would cause even more problems - thanks Bill!

Sunday, June 17, 2007 4:10 PM
  • I was getting this error due to my NIC.  I had a Killer M1 NIC that had older drivers, the auto-updater wouldn't work so I had to download the Vista32 specific driver from their support site.  I got past the error before the driver though by simply disabling the Killer M1's extra features (it's a gaming NIC)

It works... 'fine' now, despite a few minor issues on occassion.

I have the 64 upgrade disc, but I don't want to go through all the same problems all over again. haha.

Monday, June 18, 2007 3:41 PM
  •  

same problem over here. i have brought Windows vista for almost 5 months and i have it to get it fixed 5 time and that total cost me about $400.00 and that sucks. is like i am paying $1500 to buy Windows vista. and now it doesn't update? That's Bull Sh** i am not going to paid $80 more to fixed my Window vista. i really like the programs and features in Winndows vista but it has too many ERRORS. PLEASE micorsoft people help us fixed all the errors FOR FREE! i do not want to pay any more money to fix my computer.  PLEAS PLEASE PLEAS PLEASE PLEAS PLEASE PLEAS PLEASE PLEAS PLEASE !!!!!!!!

Thursday, June 21, 2007 1:23 AM
  • Are you using your laptop at home as well as work?

If your laptop is a part of your company's domain, and the sysadmins manage updates that are sent out to machines on the network, that could be causing this issue.

I that's the case, just connect to your corporate network (VPN, or take your laptop to work, whatever) and run windows update again. It should pass this time.

An easy way to check if the sysadmin is managing updates on your domain is:

- launch windows update (start > all programs > windows update)

- almost at the bottom of the window look for "You recieve updates:". If it says "Managed by your system administrator" that's your answer

Hope this helps

Saturday, June 23, 2007 6:40 PM
  • I have that problem too, its b*%lsh#t!
    Monday, June 25, 2007 3:00 AM
  • My updates where working just fine on my Vista machine up until Jun 13th. Something with the patches and bug fixes that were installed on that day now cause the dreaded 80080005 error to appear. I searched MS web site. They don't seem to acknowledge the problem / issue exists. I guess we won't be able to perform any more updates. I hope someone can help.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 10:39 AM
  • I'm also getting the same error, Still no Fix!!

Same error only when I try and do a Complete PC Backup using MS Built in software, waits 2 - 3 mins then pops up with same error, using either DVD Drive or External HDD..

Now i know it works because i have already done a backup to my ext HDD & DVD Drive...Even if i do a full clean install let Vista find and install all updates, same errror MS must of released an update that conflicts with Vista Ultimate in my case.

Friday, June 29, 2007 5:09 PM
  • Hello. I am getting the same error. I think that it is also causing my Microsoft Mail and a game to not start/connect. Please help. How am I supposed to get the fix if I can't download a patch?
    Saturday, June 30, 2007 6:59 AM
  •  

MSN Messenger wouldn't start and reported error code: 80048820 Extended error code: 80048416

and my Word 2007 wouldn't publish to my Microsoft Live Blog with a Word cannot register your account error message.

All these problems were fixed because my vista machine was missing a winhttp.dll file.  You may want to check to see if you have one in your C:\Windows\System32 directory. Just copy the file from another Vista machine.  You won't need to reboot.  I have no idea why this file was removed.  Must have been deleted during a Windows update.   If anyone needs a copy of the file leave your email address...

Sunday, July 01, 2007 6:01 AM
  • Hello,

Il have the exact same problem and it's from 13 june.

No more possible to get windows updating (Vista)

File winhttp.dll is not missing ....

Solutions ?

Thanks

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 3:27 PM
  • I too have the DLL on both the working portable and the duff desktop - the 2 DLLs appear identical. I do not believe it is the network card as it is a bog standard Dell Dimension.

Deeply frustrating.

My Vista software will not run backup, will not load updates, does strange things with email. Even Win 95 was better out of the box than this pile of camel’s excrement. Come on MS this is YOUR site, do something – give us just a little hint as to what is wrong!.

Thursday, July 05, 2007 11:37 PM
  • Hello

My PC is a DELL DIMENSION 9200 -  Problem is from Dell or Microsoft ?

Waiting for a solution for error 80080005 when trying to run windows update  ...

I don't try to use backup....

Why choosing Vista ?  Error...   Error..... It's my big error !

Solution ? Come back to XP ?

I'm using Windows Live OneCare, Windows Defender and Windows Mail .... and you ????

Friday, July 06, 2007 6:29 PM
  • I have a new HP 6290 laptop same error. 80080005 any help would be appreciated.
    Monday, July 09, 2007 8:06 AM
  • Just reproducing a general solution from my site. hope it helps :-)

• Just got this new Sony Laptop with Vista Business installed. Trying to check if there is any update avaiable but unfortunately, Windows Update in Vista gives me the Error code of 80080005. Try troubleshooting it without any solutions. No official solutions from the Microsoft troubleshoot website neither. Any ideas what may causes this or any possible solution to this?

Peter

icekil wrote:

I am geting the same error and no answers. Has anyone found answers to this please emai me at kmtsurv@yahoo.com

Broadly speaking, you can try one or all of these :

Run CCleaner to clear up PC Junk. Reboot. If you are using windowsupdate try using microsoftupdates and vice versa.

If you still cannot Update Windows Vista (orWinXP/SP2) using windowsupdate, try this :

Open Internet Explorer > Tools >Internet Options > Security > Click 'trusted
    sites' icon >Click Sites > uncheck 'require server verification'
    Then add following sites :
    http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    http://*.windowsupdate.com.

Click Close > Apply > OK. This is known to help the GenuineValidated Windows, in some cases, but not always.

Else, lastly, note your error code and visit this excellent Microsoft Resource :  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/ph/6527/

Search for the solution against your error Code.

Monday, July 09, 2007 2:02 PM
  •  

Problem is on my PC DELL Dimension 9200  VISTA (Fam. Pr.)  installed

When using windows update I receive message "code 80080005"

Not other possibility to upgrade for Vista.... Why ?

I tried what anandkay said on 07/09 but nothing is good (except CCleaner I dont'use...

- no problem with Windows Live OneCare ?).

I read on the web Microsoft has not solution for the moment .... and the error code isn't in the base.

Many thanks if somebody has a solution for this bug.... 

Monday, July 09, 2007 6:23 PM
  • Well guys and gals I found a solution to my issue of the error 80080005. It stems from corrupted dll files mainly WUAUCLT1.DLL, WUAUENG1.DLL, WUAUSERV.DLL, CDM.DLL, WUAPI.DLL,WUPS.DLL,WUCLTUI.DLL, AND IUENGINE.DLL. This solution I found under Google search.microsoft. public.windowsupdate. I do not want to take credit for it, but I did not do everything that was done here. I just ran cclean, a free program,  which did nothing for my problem, but clean up over 50 unattached dlls. Of course rebooted and tried to do an update. same error. reloaded all the .dll files (mentioned above), which was probably not necessary if I had followed their example,tried an update and got the update site and found 28 updates. Tried to download updates, but seemed to hang,over 15 minutes, stopped download and decided before I went any further to backup computer. No restore points had been created. Vista ultimate, my version did not automatically set check points like xp did. You have to turn this on. Set to automatic create check points, and restarted windows updater. The first thing it did was to create check point and start down loading. almost every update got a check point. Which means guys and gals dont blame upddates for hoseing your computer with vista. Backup,Backup,Backup.
    Monday, July 09, 2007 9:49 PM
  • Guys, I guess I found the reason of the 80080005 problem, but could not find any solution other than recovering computer to the factory setup. The reason of the problem is probably the older version programs that use internet and make startup changes in the windows registry. These programs change the network settings of the computer and force you to run all other network programs such as MSN Messenger, Flashget and DC++ in the XP compatibility mode. Guess which application cannot be run in XP compatibility mode. Yes you knew it! It's "Windows Update". That's why you see the error code 80080005 on your screen when you try to run the application. And that's why you cannot update any other application or run the interactive sidebar gadgets installed on your computer. The old version programs that change the network registry settings in my computer are: 

1: "Creative Product Registry Setup" for my Creative Zen Micro MP3 player. 

2: "Net Limiter" Version 1.30.

Here is my advice: Backup all your important files, format your PC and setup Windows Vista. Before you install anything else to your computer, install Spybot Search&Destroy to your PC. If not necessary, DO NOT INSTALL ANY APPLICATION WHICH IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH WINDOWS VISTA. If it's a vital "vista incompatible" application for your general use, ignore every registry change that's asked to you by Spybot S&D when installing. If you're not sure if the application is vista compatible or not, save your registry record to a special folder before installing. 

That's how you can keep computer safe and regularly updated until Microsoft or program developers find a solution to the problem. Now, despite Creative did not release vista drivers for zen micro, I can still install XP drivers, and use the device by ignoring the registry change offered by the Spybot S&D. 

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 1:39 PM
  •  

I need that file winhttp.dll         Because of the vista crashing while trying to update. Can you please help? 

dana402710@bellsouth.net

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 7:24 PM
  • I had this error since April, after looking at the update log I noticed that Windows Live Toolbar was installing every time the Windows Update had error 80080005.  I uninstalled the toolbar and still the error, so I decided to reinstall the toolbar.  During its installation I was asked if I wanted to automatically update windows which I selected and IT WORKED.  So if you have Windows Live Toolbar installed try uninstalling and reinstalling it.

Thursday, July 12, 2007 7:16 PM
  • Well, I have that file and I still have the same problem. I also have my cmos and time or date correct, but the problem goes on.

Now nothing works...

Thursday, July 12, 2007 10:21 PM
  • Wow so many people suffering .... Anyways this is what you do to fix this:

1) Disable UAC (Control Panel ->  User Accounts)

2) Restart your computer

3a) Download Windows update agent (Save it dont run it) even if its already there on your computer

x86:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe 

x64:
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x64.exe

3 b) Then go the folder you saved it .. Right click and Run it as administrator.

3 c) After the install is complete ... restart your computer ... and everything should work like a charm

You can now turn back UAC if you want and then restart your computer again

Friday, July 13, 2007 5:12 AM
  • Hello,

I carefully read your message.

If y go to the download.windowsupdate.com , I am directly on ...../v6/vistadefault.aspx?in=fr

I would like to know how to do for a vista system (Family Premium 6.0 build 6000) (6000.vista.rtm.061101-2205).  Language : french

Processor Intel Core tm 2 CPU 6600 2,40 Ghz

32 bits unicode.

How to disable UAC in the User Accounts in the Control Panel ?

I don't see this possibility ?

Many thanks

Friday, July 13, 2007 6:31 AM
  • I have tried the WindowsUpdateAgent solutions with UAC disable, I can't complete the install. The installation quit about halfway into it and return with an error "0x8000ffff" 

So still no workable solutions yet, have any others try the new Windows Update Agent software?

Peter

Friday, July 13, 2007 2:07 PM
  • Hey Peter,

Did you log in as the administrator? Go to Local Users (Right click on My computer -> Manage -> local users and groups ) then right click on the user named "Administrator" -> Set password -> then click on Administrator and enable the user" ... now restart your computer and log in with administrator ...

no do what my prevoious reply says::

1) Disable UAC (Control Panel ->  User Accounts)

2) Restart your computer

3a) Download Windows update agent (Save it dont run it) even if its already there on your computer

x86:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe 

x64:
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x64.exe

3 b) Then go the folder you saved it .. Right click and Run it as administrator.

3 c) After the install is complete ... restart your computer ... and everything should work like a charm

Friday, July 13, 2007 4:31 PM
  • I followed the directions.  Everything seems to work well, except for that pesky Windows Updater.  It still hangs and I continue to receive the 80080005 error. 

Any other ideas?
    Friday, July 13, 2007 4:40 PM
  • I tried this myself it quits also halfway through? Maybe there is some background process we need to kill in task manager?? hmmm  ...lets keep trying.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 10:21 PM
  • Many thanks! Worked first time for me and the auto update dowloaded some 38 odd updates!

Now onto the next problem!

Saturday, July 14, 2007 10:50 AM
  • Hello Pbeet

Which solution do you tried ?  The one proposed by mayur oberoi ?

My PC is 32 bits (Windows Vista) ....

Which file (x 86.... x 64)..... ?

Many thanks

Saturday, July 14, 2007 1:42 PM
  • Hello CCBelgium,

Yes thats the solution I went for. I downloaded X86 as I assumed the other was the 64 bit solution and I to am running Vista 32bit.

Hope it works for you!

Monday, July 16, 2007 12:00 AM
  • this does not work for me.Sad before it was showing 80080005 error now it doesn't show it but it also doesn't download. it stucks on searching for updates . is microsoft aware of this or they playing with our minds.?.. do you listen to us microsoft??? do something
    Monday, July 16, 2007 7:03 AM
  • Hello Pbeet,

As Cyberspace, this does not works for me too.

I've downloaded the file (X86) and tried to install.  I'm not sure it does....

I'm working as administrator.

How disable UAC ?

Thanks to you !

Monday, July 16, 2007 12:59 PM
  • Sorry CCBelgium but I am no techie. I just downloaded the file ran it and I could do downloads!

I made no changes to UAC although I did try an earlier suggestion to change the settings...

Sorry I can't be more help.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 4:41 PM
  • No luck yet 
    Got the problem with german x64 Vista Business...

-Got winhttp.dll
    -tried re-install WindowsUpdateAgent30-x64.exe
    -cleaned up with CCleaner

...still no success 

Anyway its a while i got a popup for windows updates but i think it was the installation of latest Audigy SE Vista Drivers (SB24_VTDRV_LB_1_04_0077.exe) wich f*cked up windows update...
    Monday, July 23, 2007 5:53 PM
  • Fixed the Problem Wink

In my case my System Drive got corrupted, a simple chkdsk /f c: solved the problem...
    Alternatevly u can try to boot in safemode and delete the folder windows\SoftwareDistribution

Hope i could help someone...
    Monday, July 23, 2007 6:25 PM
  • damnit none of the solution provided here work
    Saturday, August 04, 2007 10:08 AM
  • After many and many hours....

After trying all solutions.....

The only good way is ...

to reinstall Vista....

Monday, August 13, 2007 6:13 PM
  • Yep, totally the same sit here. Vista 32 business, 3.8 total score & fully compliant/ authentic... All opps. normal for a week, till Aug 13, then everything went to hell!

Can't update... situations with authorization & access (even as the admin!!!) & freezes, lockups & VERY slow apps. Did all the suggestions many times & no go. Latest thing is now I don't even have a network connection icon at the lower right..... YES I checked the pref. settings.... all grayed out & no way to get access to the services that enable it. !!!!!

I was a beta tester for Vista & up to Dec. of 06 (RC2) it was the greatest thing since the 6 pack. I couldn't break it. It had great features, was fast & smooth, & ran ALL the third party apps. I threw at it. Then something happened at MS ....In Dec. or Jan. something changed.... I don't know what, but the public release was NOT what we tested. I've been using MS since day one & am a very forgiving guy..... But this "release” is ***.

I want what I beta tested & loved, & told my friends was soooo goooood.

I've spent DAYS rebuilding 3 different machines ( & yes, checking for ANY possibility of malware, driver sits., on & on) only to have them degenerate to junk , usually within a week.

Just when I thought I had a good rebuild going & all seemed ok for a week, it downloaded the 13 Aug. updates & is now POSSESSED!!! . I'm not going to try any more tech. fixes or clean rebuilds..... I'm calling a PRIEST!

Funny, MS spent a billion on the Vista rollout & what was releases looks to be buggy ***. But almost nothing was said of its new office 07 suite, it was treated as a poor illigit. child & even high up MS reps. at the road shows were almost apologetic about it to the point of GIVING it away like candy to anyone around them. Funny thing..... I think this release of the office suite is the finest work MS EVER did! ALL my customers love it! It installs like a dream & ALL of it runs right out of the box. I can't tell you how many times I've heard “It’s great.... I learned how to use the new word in 10 min. ..... LOVE it... Thank you.... " .

I cannot understand how any one or any group in the corporate word these days can go SO wrong. I just don't get it ... They MUST be doing this on purpose! There MUST be a plan they are following!

I'll repost after the Exorcism. & let you know if it killed the Priest.

Best,

Bob

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 5:42 PM
  •  

I am geting the same error and no answers. Has anyone found answers to this please emal me at patrikskog@hotmail.com

Thursday, August 23, 2007 4:22 AM
  • got a new HP-6000 series lap top same dumb problem... has anyone managed to rectify this really irritating prob

Saturday, August 25, 2007 11:03 AM
  • ive fixed the prblem at last here are the steps i used to fix the problem
    1) disable the service
    - go to the control panel and from there click on adminsitrative tools
    - then click on services and scroll down to windows updateand stop the service
    2) rename some files
    - then go the the primary drive where the os is installed and click on windows file
    - search for softwaredistribution and rename it by putting some numbers on it like softwaredistribution111 or something like that
    3) restart the service
    - go back to services and start the service of windows update
    - then click on properties and set it form automatic (delayed) to automatic.
    and start up update and voila it will work
    if it still gives you a error code of 80070003 then go to the new software distribution service folder and delete all the content of the data store folder and the downloads folder and it should work but remeber to disable the service before deleting the files otherwise the os will not allow you to delete the files.
    k i hope it helped everyone that had the problem
    • Proposed as answer by jim_xx Saturday, December 27, 2008 12:21 AM
    Sunday, October 14, 2007 11:01 AM
  • hey guys... i got the same problem a few days ago (80080005).... i came to this forum and found no answer...

but today i came across this webpage

http://wiki.castlecops.com/How_To_Fix_Windows_Update

it is about how to fix windows update for xp, but it worked for my vista 32-bit system!!

just thought that i share it with all of you guys having the same trouble here Smile hope this helps!
    Friday, January 04, 2008 9:32 AM
  • This was just my case! I had to set several programs (google earth, no-ip, messenger, x-lite) to compatibility mode for XP SP2. Then I realized that I could not run neither the windows updater nor the disk defragmenter (!!!). When I read you post I uninstalled Net Limiter v1.3 from my PC, rebooted and all of the problems where instantly solved! I unchecked the XP compatibility from all of the above programs and they worked without any problem. The windows updater started running again and even the disk defragmenter worked!

My advice is check for installed vista incompatible programs, especially those which affect network settings (such as netlimiter) and try to uninstall them.

I hope that this will work for you, as it worked for me.

Many many thanks to user ozguraykul who actually found the reason of the problem (for me at least).

Saturday, January 12, 2008 3:59 PM
  • I have a vista business desktop and had windows update disabled by a virus. After cleaning out the virus windows update still could not connect. After 3 weeks of hair pulling, I found that permissons were taken over by the virus. I had to go through every wu*.* file in the windows system32 folder and take back permission and give it back to the system, not me as administrator.  After I had reset all that, windows update was able to run.

Al
    Wednesday, March 12, 2008 10:27 PM
  • My machine is a Gateway and I'm have the same error coming up. Hope there is fix out there or coming soon.
    Friday, March 21, 2008 9:44 PM
  • I picked up an Acer Aspire last weekend and everything's been going great until now.  It came with Windows Vista Home Premium.  The Windows button (button with the Windows logo on the keyboard) actually performed what it was supposed to, according to the manual, which I actually looked through.  After my new laptop slaved over rebooting after downloading and installing Vista SP 1, the Windows button isn't working properly (not doing the Aero 3D flip when I press Windows + Tab), the top of the window (the bar with the minimize, enlarge, and close buttons) doesn't look normal, and I've been getting error 80080005 when I've tried checking for updates.  Also, the window preview on the taskbar doesn't work.  I e-mailed Windows Support for help and I've got my finger on the System Restore trigger, waiting for the signal to restore my system to before SP 1 was installed.  Can anyone help A.S.A.P.?

Sunday, March 23, 2008 2:48 PM
  • Hello,

For me, the best solution was to reinstall.

But..... what do Microsoft ?

CCBELGIUM

Sunday, March 23, 2008 4:53 PM
  • Wait, ... you mean reinstall Vista?  UUGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!

Sunday, March 23, 2008 5:37 PM
  • Could you please send me a copy of your winhttp.dll I have the same problem.

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 7:02 PM
  •  

got the error message 80080005 on windows update and one update wont install and windows modules installer has also stopped working is there any solution to any of the problems.

thx gatsby

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 10:40 PM
  •  gatsby wrote:

got the error message 80080005 on windows update and one update wont install and windows modules installer has also stopped working is there any solution to any of the problems.

thx gatsby

did you ever find a solution...same is happening to me....

Thursday, May 29, 2008 2:12 PM
  •  

Yeah, I'm having the same problem with the winhttp.dll file.  I downloaded MSN Live and I can't use it because I don't have that file.  If anyone knows where I can get this file or get it fixed please let me know.  Thanks.
    Saturday, June 07, 2008 7:06 PM
  • I found a soloution to this problem. I installed Windows live one care from the  MS website and it fixed my problem reaching windows update. Chances are, if your issues were the same as mine, you have spyware or a virus on your machine that is messing with windows update.

Try it out guys It worked for me.
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 7:13 PM
  • Alright, pls try this if you get error 80080005 on Vista Home Prem 32-bit

Open Command prompt with 'Run as an Administrator' option & run command

sfc/scannow

This should resolve most of the update issues.

Regards,

Yusuf

Thursday, June 19, 2008 10:55 AM
  • attempting to run "sfc /scannnow" as administrator via command line on my HP dv6000 series laptop with Vista Home Premium resulted in the error "Windows Resource Protection could no start the repair service."

Thursday, June 19, 2008 6:26 PM
  • dear sir

i am also having trouble with windows updates on 32x vista

i cannot enable automatic updates nor install them manually

i tried the solution listed above, but when i install the windows update agent, it says i have already installed it

im not sure what to do..

1NonBeliever
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 7:25 AM
  • Dear friends,

Unfortunatly this is no solution, but just to tell you that I tried ALL solutions listed in this forum, nothing works, I keep hoping that someone will come with what I can call now a "miracle"!!!

Thanks to Microsoft to keep us in downtime, I already started a personal training on Linux, just another world, it looks intelligent, I'm not surprised...

Regards

DD

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 5:30 PM
  • Thank you for your help. I took the followed the instructions but I got a new error code. But you never know you may have helped me with this information.

Tuesday, August 05, 2008 8:22 PM
  • Well have searched everywhere for an answer to this prob. and, guess what? It appears that there may be a Registry Issue after all? I've had similar trouble, not being able to download any updates"you have to be signed in as administrator"? Even when you are etc!

I've been told that there is a "Registry Repair" section on the Windows Vista 32 home Basic that will repair it, but, like most people these days my computer did'nt come with a Disc? It's on the Hard-drive in a Partition? which means reloading Windows?? That or am waiting for an answer for this from Toshiba? Who knows i may get a Disc???? more likely i'll have to re-install!

Thursday, September 04, 2008 3:56 PM
  • Tried this on my prob. but did not work

Sunday, September 28, 2008 10:59 AM
  • Tried this but the update fails with an error when tried to run

Sunday, September 28, 2008 11:01 AM
  • Tried this but even live care won't run

Sunday, September 28, 2008 11:06 AM
  • The only thing to do is to reinstall Windows....
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 6:18 PM
  • SUCCESS! I was able to fix error 0x80080005 my Vista Ultimate 64-bit System. My problem extended through both Windows Update and Windows Defender Update not working, then it shut down my on-board High Def Audio and my Logitech G15 Keyboard LCD control program. The key for me was to grab the \Windows\System32\WinSpool.drv file from my other Vista Ultimate 64-bit System and copy it to the "broken" one. I was totally amazed that it fixed ALL the problems! TRY THIS, BEFORE YOU FORMAT AND RELOAD VISTA!

THANKS TO WHOM EVER POINTED ME IN THAT DIRECTION, IT WAS THE BEST VISTA SUPPORT I HAVE EVER HAD!!!

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 12:44 PM
  • Finally fixed the problem on my Dell xps 720 thanks to the fact that I do complete backups every so often. Need to do more often. It was the last set of updates for Defender and Vista down loaded on the same day and time that screwed the system. All the posts I tried failed miserably. Decided to do a complet restore from a back up in June and that fixed my problem and all is now working well.

Again the moral is to do regular complete backups.

Thursday, October 02, 2008 7:08 AM
  • i have the same problem on my lenovo thinkpad, does anyone know the cause or what update may be causing the download to fail?

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 8:50 PM
  • I found that my problem was a combination of a 'DEFENDER' update and a 'SECURITY UPDATE' that down loaded at the same time that corrupted the system.

A month of trying all recommended actions to rectify failed.

Luckily I had invested in an external hard disc to which I did a full pc back up once a month. My only solution to the problem was a complete restore back to the previous month before the failure which solved the problem without too much loss of data on the main disc but I had backups of regular updated files on the external disc so no actual loss just a bit of work to recover onto the main disc.

The month of update not working resulted in 39 updates being downloaded once the system was working again.

The tech forum indicates that Vista is obviously more prone to problems than I experienced with XP PRO and would recommend to everyone to backup on a regular basis. The cost of an external drive is a small price to pay for peace of mind and a lot of work to recover from the problems.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 8:28 AM
  • I am not alone. 

I deleted windows office and some other programs that I didn't use, but that were taking up disk space.  This new computer had 85 Gigs, and only 15 Gigs were free because of all of those unused programs.  So I carefully deleted them only to have the hanging windows update and error 80080005 everytime I tried to get an update.  It's been like this for about 4 months.

I am thinking that I may have to go and buy the Vista CD's just to get this working again.  Everything else works, except update.  I wish that Microsoft had a way to re-download and repair these programs online without having to buy the OS CD's. I have a 3 year contract with Lenovo/Telus, but the CD's weren't included with my computer.  Or maybe I'll just wait until a brand new OS comes out instead.

Thursday, November 06, 2008 7:20 AM
  • After reading some posts I tried "Run as an administrator", typed in sfc/scannow and it found some corrupted files.  I downloaded Windows One Care Beta, after I realized that I deleted the One Care that came with the computer because I figured the Telus eProtect was all that I needed.  It has already found some errors, so I will be back with the results when the scan is completed.

Thursday, November 06, 2008 8:28 AM
  •  

To solve and fix the stop error on Windows Vista Update, try the following resolution to re-register the Windows Update related DLLs.

Open a command prompt as an administrator, and type the following commands. Press ‘ENTER’ key after each command:

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
    regsvr32 wucltui.dll
    regsvr32 wups.dll
    regsvr32 wups2.dll
    regsvr32 wuweb.dll

There may be some errors on registering some of the DLL, which can be ignored. Once re-registered, check for updates again. In most case, Automatic Update will work almost immediately.

worked brilliantly for me!!

Thursday, December 04, 2008 7:29 PM
  • I had the 80080005 problem on a Windows Vista machine.  Windows update was working and then stopped.  I tried a number of suggestions from this site and they did not work.  But steveythehero's suggestion did the job.  Thanks.

Here is a copy of steveythehero's solution:
    ive fixed the prblem at last here are the steps i used to fix the problem
    1) disable the service
    2) rename some files
    - then go the the primary drive where the os is installed and click on windows file
    - search for softwaredistribution and rename it by putting some numbers on it like softwaredistribution111 or something like that
    3) restart the service
    if it still gives you a error code of 80070003 then go to the new software distribution service folder and delete all the content of the data store folder and the downloads folder and it should work but remeber to disable the service before deleting the files otherwise the os will not allow you to delete the files.
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 12:23 AM
  • what kind of driver did you download and from what site coz im having the same problem and my internet explorer is deleted so i cant install it if my family safety is disabled so when i try to enable it i get the 80080005 errorplease help 
    Monday, January 05, 2009 6:38 PM
  • I also receive the 0x80080005 error code for windows defender, windows update, and generating a healthy system report. Also 64 bit internet explorer doesn't get internet access but regular does.
    Sunday, March 08, 2009 1:59 AM
  • I have had this ongoing problem since October 2008. And I see that this has been an issue for much longer! Why has this not been addressed by Microsoft???

I have been working with both Microsoft and Compaq/HP to try to solve it. They both have given me many of the solutions that have been discussed here. Nothing has solved my problem!! I am desperately trying NOT to reinstall the OS, but I am currently awaiting the disk so I can do just that. Of course MS tech support said I should "go get" my disk...which did not come with my computer. Now I wait another 15 days to receive the disk, after I threw a fit - they (MS) first told me to go contact my computer's manufacturer for the problem. This is a Vista/Microsoft problem. I'm about ready to throw this PC out the window and go back to my Mac!

Thanks for letting me rant... and I hope someone can find a solution to this soon!
    Monday, March 09, 2009 2:07 AM
  • jim_xx said:

I had the 80080005 problem on a Windows Vista machine.  Windows update was working and then stopped.  I tried a number of suggestions from this site and they did not work.  But steveythehero's suggestion did the job.  Thanks.

Here is a copy of steveythehero's solution:
    ive fixed the prblem at last here are the steps i used to fix the problem
    1) disable the service
    2) rename some files
    3) restart the service

It will not allow me to rename the files.
    Anyone know how to overcome this?
    Monday, March 23, 2009 4:56 PM
  • Good news: after doing these steps, I was notified that I have 2 updates to install! Bad news: it's been "Preparing to Install" for over 13 hours. How long to I let this thing keep going? I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium on a Gateway Laptop. This is a single home PC.
    Friday, April 24, 2009 12:11 PM
  • hey everyone I know has XP. Could you send me a copy of the file? jadealice@hotmail.co.uk
    Monday, June 22, 2009 4:26 PM
  • Hello Mello,

I am having the 80080005 error problem in my vista home premium. I couldn t find the winhttp.dll file. Could you send for me please? I'm having to many problems try to update my windows. Maybe this file will solve the problems. I'm hoping so. My email address is lcv@uol.com.br
    Thanks.
    Lilipop
    Monday, July 06, 2009 5:18 PM
  • SIMPLE SOLUTION:

1. Boot up in safe mode
        To do this you can also do the following:
            RUN -> MSCONFIG,  Go to boot tab and click on safe boot and restart
    2. Find the SoftwareDistribution folder in C:\Windows
    3. Rename it to SoftwareDistribution.old
    4. Restart in normal (unsafe) mode

Worked for me
    Also works with erro 8024A000

Thursday, July 09, 2009 2:46 AM
  • SIMPLE SOLUTION:

1. Boot up in safe mode
        To do this you can also do the following:
            RUN -> MSCONFIG,  Go to boot tab and click on safe boot and restart
    2. Find the SoftwareDistribution folder in C:\Windows
    3. Rename it to SoftwareDistribution.old
    4. Restart in normal (unsafe) mode

Worked for me
    Also works with erro 8024A000

Well, I tried this, was able to change the name fine with these instructions, although now it's just hanging when checking for updates...  frustrated trying to find a true fix for this....

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:34 AM
  • I need the file winhttp.dll My email adress is naeem461@hotmail.com
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 2:31 PM
  • i think i have the same problem.i can't install any updates. not even the update to install updates. my anit virus says my computer is clean but i know it's not. i need to update. all my updates fail every day. how do i check and how do i fix it? i've had trouble for the last 4 months. i have done everthing!!! except take it to an expert who will charge me a new car and keep my computer for a month. please help? my email is taminator30@comcast.net thanks
    • Edited by taminator Wednesday, August 19, 2009 4:58 AM
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 4:54 AM
  • hey can you send me a copy of the file. i dont seem to have it.

my e-mail is  Figga117@aim.com

thanx
    Monday, August 31, 2009 9:25 PM
  • There is also another version of Windows Update Error 80080005

If anybody have Windows Update error 80080005 with "Error 126: The specified module could not be found" Windows Modules Installer service & of course SFC command not working:This error relate to corrupted  HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Version
    key or folder which this key point,as you can read this key always point folder:
    C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-servicingstack_<unknow ID> _6.x.xxxx.xx_none_<unknow ID2>

<unknow ID> and "x" depends from system version and update status,so it's no so simple to reconstruct if this key is corrupted,option with corrupted only pointed folder is also possible.Reason of this error has been found here:http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/234029-cannot-update-anything-80080005-a-3.html
    one guy have completely damaged CBS key,although to cause this error will be enough if only Version subkey is missing
    (see posts 30-32,37 and 41),second guy had only corrupted pointed folder and quite easy fixed (post 44)
    Saturday, September 05, 2009 10:53 AM
  • i cannot find the file. Help please
    Sunday, September 06, 2009 5:42 PM
  • i cannot find the file. Help please

Precise exacly about which file going on.If you have Vista DVD required file you can simple extract from Install.wim image by using 7-zip.
    Monday, September 07, 2009 7:27 AM
  • jpw-engineer, http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistaapps/thread/21e0dd42-44ae-4e07-9a9a-b0a3263345ec

System Restore should be on by default. Have you ever had the XP Antivirus or Vista Antivirus adware problem on this system?

There is a command to do a "sfc /scannowstart-run/type cmd/right click cmd "run as administrator"

This will scan and verify each system file and recopy from install disk if corrupted, missing or bad.

I'm not sure this will be happy if you've installed SP1,SP2 and have an old Vista OEM disk.

If someone's having this problem and can try this there are alot of other people having issues. This is a better solution than manully replacing files from another computer if it works.

You can also use "sfc /verifyonly" if you'd like to see what it reports back as corrupted or problem system files.

Please report back your results.
    Vote for Freedom - Vote to Protect our Country
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 7:57 PM
  • I sure could use a copy of that file if you could send it to me...Been dealing with this stupid thing now for a while and just now found your solution..
    you can email me at tlmudge123@bellsouth.net.

Hope you get this
    Thanks,
    TLM

• Proposed as answer by tonyroze Tuesday, November 10, 2009 4:16 PM
    • Proposed as answer by tonyroze Tuesday, November 10, 2009 4:16 PM
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 1:46 AM
  • did you get this fixed? Did SFC correct the issue or did you just get a file from someone else?
    Vote for Freedom - Vote to Protect our Country
    Thursday, October 01, 2009 8:36 PM
  • Vista Home Premium 32-bit/Internet Explorer 7/Dell Inspiron.  I had Windows Update error code 80080005 for over two weeks.  I couldn't find a solution that worked so decided to download and install updates manually.  But then Windows stand-alone updater wouldn't work either!  Searching the web for a solution I found this bulletin:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958043
    I tried this and Windows is back to normal!  I don't know if this works for all 8008005 errors. I hope this helps.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 10:10 AM
  • Hey Mellow

I am havin the same problems, and was wondering if you could sned me the missing .ddl file, my email address is bucabaru@tpg.com.au.

Thank You
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 12:43 PM
  • Man I would love the fix. 

My email is jackelmann71@msn.com

Thanks
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 4:19 PM
  • hello im having a problem my message display the file wmploc.dll has a version number of 11.0.6000.6324 where 11.0.60006336 was expected. please if you can send me a copy please i will appreciate. thank you
    Monday, December 14, 2009 3:11 AM
  • hey can you please send me the file and tell me where it is located on the computer i tried looking for the location but i couldnt find it.
    my email is jen_turtle34@hotmail.com
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 7:41 AM
  • Hi there can you send me the link so that my computer can start downloading updates.
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 8:08 PM
  • u can give sen it to my email naketa2010@hotmail.com
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 3:08 AM
  • I would love a copy of that. My email is ladybug81549@yahoo.com. Thanks so mcuh.
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 3:19 AM
  • I would also like a copy of that please. dunkelhelm@live.com
    Friday, April 23, 2010 11:17 PM
  • Also wondering what file to put that in.
    Friday, April 23, 2010 11:30 PM
  •  

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 10:20 AM
  • I believe I could use a copy as I am having the same error 80080005. Thankyou for the offer.

toosteve2@hotmail.com

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 5:49 PM
  • I have had the same problem since Jan 2010...been working with Microsoft...online and then on the phone....They refered me to Dell...who wants 129.00 to even see if they can fix it. I need the fix you are speaking of  PeterPan35...my email= dorotuttle@sbcglobal.net. If this works... I will be grateful...forever as that is how long I've been trying to fix this problem....seems like anyway. Thanks so much. ros
    Friday, June 18, 2010 2:22 PM
  • Hey There

I'm having the same issue;

I check for updates, windows scans for about a mintue then comes back with error code 80080005.

I had a look for the file and I do have it in there ... do you have any suggestions as to what my issue could be?

I've been having a look at other threads but I can find any solution .. I have tried downloading a couple of programs that say they can fix the error but haven't been able to find a solution.

It's really starting to do my head in.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Xx

Saturday, June 26, 2010 9:51 AM
  • I need the file winhttp.dll

please send to me at susancooley@fuse.net

thank you

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 12:53 PM
  • hi mellow

my pc is experiencing the same problem.

Appreciate if you can send the file on my email add: arlene-atcdxb@hotmail.com

thanks.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 11:54 AM
  • hi, i've been having this problem since a couple months ago & im running out of ideas . I tried looking for the winhttp.dll file   & i noticed that it was deleted. can you email me that file please . . . Tichelle2@msn.com

Saturday, August 21, 2010 7:03 PM
  • silk36303@yahoo.com    silk36303@hotmail.com  

Thanks so much....i need this asap....thanks again.

Sunday, September 26, 2010 12:05 AM
  • THIS IS THE ONLY FIX THAT WILL WORK IF U FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS

for months iv had no windows update and my pc would freeze and loose its hard drives dvd drives and recive this error in windows update 80080005 search for a long time till this belive me if u do this right it WILL work!

Wow so many people suffering .... Anyways this is what you do to fix this:

1) Disable UAC (Control Panel ->  User Accounts)----- ignore if ur already down as administrator

2) Restart your computer ---------  ignore if ur already down as administrator

3a) Download Windows update agent (SAVE IT DONT RUN IT) even if its already there on your computer

x86:32bit vista

x64: 64bit vista

3 b) Then go the folder you saved it .. Right click and RUN it as ADMINISTRATOR.

congrats to the person who found this out thnks

• Proposed as answer by A Litwinski Tuesday, September 28, 2010 12:45 AM
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 12:39 AM
  • Hi, 

i do not have the winhttp.dll file and i would be happy if you sent it to me.

I have had a lot of issues lately and i cant solve any of them and forum after forum i discover that all links together with the windows updater witch has not been working for a long time. Last week i experienced that it had found some updates and it installed 62 new updates since my pc (Acer Travelmate 5530G(vista 32)) had not updated in about a year. Only about 5 updates succeded and the rest failed. Now every time i'm on my computer it wants to install more but the important updates all fail. This affects the whole computer and a lot of programmes i try to install for example iTunes. The problems are: 

1. It wont check for updates error 80080005

2. It somehow finds updates and shows the shield on the shut down button

3. It says it's shutting down and the installing updates(blue background) with the "wait" cursor

4. Some updates are installed but at least 70% of them are not every time

I really need help on how to fix this. Thanks in advance

Sebastian

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 3:43 PM
  • I need a copy of the file please. I have the same problem. brant413@ymail.com

Thanks ;)

Thursday, November 11, 2010 6:54 AM
  • Hi all, could someone be kind enough to send me the dll file also..

randyandlisa@live.ca

thx

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 3:33 PM
  • Thanks anyway, but still being "charmed" by 80080005!
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 9:47 PM
  • Still having this error code 80080005 on windows update, please i have tried anything but nothing seems to work. Any solution for this yet? I really do not want to format windows :(
    Monday, January 24, 2011 4:51 PM
  • Hi JPW-enginner, I have been getting the 80080005 update error. I have Windows Vista on an 2008 laptop. 

I think I may have this same problem. I have checked in my command prompt (run as administrator) for all of these:

WUAUCLT1.DLL, WUAUENG1.DLL, WUAUSERV.DLL, CDM.DLL, WUAPI.DLL,WUPS.DLL,WUCLTUI.DLL, AND IUENGINE.DLL.  The only ones that DID work were: WUAPI.DLL, and WUPS.DLL, 

I have checked and I DO have the winhttp.dll file.  Can you explain how you fixed this more clearly? I tried your suggested steps though and no luck. I realize you posted this in 2007 and now it's 2011 but.... geez! 

If anyone can help me, please do!! Thank you!

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 1:54 AM
  • Fatare, I'm experiencing the same problem. Any luck for a solution?
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 2:07 AM
  • No still getting this annoying error code. And i have exakt problem as you, i only found WUAPI.DLL, and  WUPS.DLL work when i tried register them. And i have winhttp.dll also =(
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 5:50 AM
  • Hi JPW-enginner, I have been getting the 80080005 update error. I have Windows Vista on an 2008 laptop. 

I think I may have this same problem. I have checked in my command prompt (run as administrator) for all of these:

WUAUCLT1.DLL, WUAUENG1.DLL, WUAUSERV.DLL, CDM.DLL, WUAPI.DLL,WUPS.DLL,WUCLTUI.DLL, AND IUENGINE.DLL.  The only ones that DID work were:  WUAPI.DLL, and  WUPS.DLL, 

I have checked and I DO have the winhttp.dll file.  Can you explain how you fixed this more clearly?  I tried your suggested steps though and no luck. I realize you posted this in 2007 and now it's 2011 but.... geez! 

If anyone can help me, please do!! Thank you!

Sunday, February 06, 2011 3:20 PM
  • I had the same problem: Windows Update displayed error code 80080005. After trying all the remedies above, eg -FIXIT, Latest Windows Update Agent, deleting update history, etc.... still had the dreaded error code 80080005. I tried "sfc /scannow" in a command window "run as administrator" but it wouldn't run. I had a hunch that the TrustedInstaller.exe file was corrupt so I looked in the "Windows\servicing" folder on another Vista computer, where it is stored. Comparing the files on the other computer, I noticed the file "CbsMsg.dll" had been deleted from my folder at some point. I finally was able to fix the problem by copying the file "CbsMsg.dll" from the other computer to my "C:\Windows\servicing" folder. I had to take ownership of the "servicing" folder to copy the missing file to it, then I copied the file in a command window using "Run as Administrator" to open the command window. I think i may have mistakenly quarantined the file when I was trying a new virus detection program, then uninstalled the program. After replacing the "CbsMsg.dll" file, Windows Update installed a bunch of overdue updates, HOORAY!! And now I was also able to run "sfc /scannow" in a command window using "run as administrator". When done it displayed an error message: "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log" Checking the log file revealed a corrupt CbsMsg.dll that System File Checker tool couldn't repair: ...............C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log (part of)................................. POQ 69 ends. 2011-04-13 18:03:51, Info CSI 00000185 [SR] Verify complete 2011-04-13 18:03:52, Info CSI 00000186 [SR] Verifying 100 (0x0000000000000064) components 2011-04-13 18:03:52, Info CSI 00000187 [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction 2011-04-13 18:04:00, Info CSI 00000188 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"CbsMsg.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-ServicingStack-Msg, Version = 6.0.6001.18000, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing ................................................ Whatever that means... it doesn't prevent Windows Update from working normally. Just for fun, to see if I could re-create the error, i went back and renamed my "CbsMsg.dll" file to "CbsMsg.dl_". Sure enough, the old 80080005 came back when I ran Windows Update from the Start menu (no reboot required). Just for more fun, i went back and renamed my "CbsApi.dll" file to "CbsApi.dl_" in the "Windows\servicing" folder to see if it would produce the same error. This time when I ran Windows Update it failed with error 8007007E. Too much fun...
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 11:59 PM
  • i use to have a similar problem  and i found this solution that worked for me you should check it out and see if it works for you here's the link http://www.ehow.com/how_4813669_fix-vista-problems-windows-installer.html
    Saturday, April 23, 2011 5:30 PM
  • Cumbersome problem.

Default tricks did not work. Wurtbeta.exe did not work (not reallyl suited for Vista anyways). Chkdsk c: /f /v /x /r did not work (no problems found). Renaming SoftwareDistribution failed (did not try in Safe mode).

Some smart possible shortcuts, here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_update/error-code-800080005-cant-update-for-almost-one/89f9a574-5a26-4fce-a259-42f471e28345

HOW TO do a clean install of Vista: See the "If you want to reinstall Windows Vista by performing a clean installation..." section of http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-Vista#section_3

HOW TO do a clean install of WinXP: See http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#stepsand/or Method 1 in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978307

After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting the machine to the internet or a network and before using a USB key that isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:

4 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
         http://www.microsoft.com/security/pypc.aspx

NB: Any Norton or McAfee free-trial that came preinstalled on the computer when you bought it will be reinstalled (but invalid) when Windows is reinstalled. You MUST uninstall the free-trial and download/run the appropriate removal tool before installing any updates, Windows Service Packs or IE upgrades and before installing your new anti-virus application.

Norton Removal Tool
         ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool
         http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=504 (=System Update Readiness tool) couldn't install.

Also unsuccesfull: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_update/cant-install-vista-service-pack-2/e50a29ee-410b-45dc-82be-cfeb07062fab

Stopping services pertaining to Windows Update 

1.     Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.

2.     If you receive a notification from User Account Control simply click Continue.

3.     At the command prompt, type the following, commands and then press ENTER after each command.

net stop wuauserv
            net stop bits

net stop cryptsvc 

4.     Please do not close the Command Prompt window.

Renaming folders pertaining to Windows Update 

1.     At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press Enter after each command:

2.     ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 Catroot2.old

3.     ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

4.     Please do not close the Command Prompt window.

Registering DLL’s pertaining to Windows Update

1.     Please copy and paste the following text into a new Notepad document, and save the file as WindowsUpdate.BAT

2.     If saved correctly the icon will change from a Notepad file to BAT file which has two blue cogs as its icon.

-or-

3.     You can manually type each command at the command prompt:

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\vbscript.dll /s

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\mshtml.dll /s

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\msjava.dll /s

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\jscript.dll /s

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\msxml.dll /s

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\actxprxy.dll /s

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\shdocvw.dll /s

regsvr32 wuapi.dll /s

regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll /s

regsvr32 wuaueng.dll /s

regsvr32 wucltui.dll /s

regsvr32 wups2.dll /s

regsvr32 wups.dll /s

regsvr32 wuweb.dll /s

regsvr32 Softpub.dll /s

regsvr32 Mssip32.dll /s

regsvr32 Initpki.dll /s

regsvr32 softpub.dll /s

regsvr32 wintrust.dll /s

regsvr32 initpki.dll /s

regsvr32 dssenh.dll /s

regsvr32 rsaenh.dll /s

regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll /s

regsvr32 sccbase.dll /s

regsvr32 slbcsp.dll /s

regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll /s

regsvr32 Urlmon.dll /s

regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll /s

regsvr32 Msjava.dll /s

regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll /s

regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll /s

regsvr32 Mshtml.dll /s

regsvr32 msxml.dll /s

regsvr32 msxml2.dll /s

regsvr32 msxml3.dll /s

regsvr32 Browseui.dll /s

regsvr32 shell32.dll /s

regsvr32 wuapi.dll /s

regsvr32 wuaueng.dll /s

regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll /s

regsvr32 wucltui.dll /s

regsvr32 wups.dll /s

regsvr32 wuweb.dll /s

regsvr32 jscript.dll /s

regsvr32 atl.dll /s

regsvr32 Mssip32.dll /s

Restarting services pertaining to Windows Update

1.     Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.

2.     If you receive a notification from User Account Control simply click Continue.

3.     At the command prompt, type the following, commands and then press ENTER after each command.

net start wuauserv
            net start bits

net start cryptsvc

exit

4.     Now please check for updates using Windows Update to see if the issue has been resolved.

If it still does not update, run the SFC Scan.

I solved MY 8008005 by either of two things;

1. Norton removal tool (Symantec Update was still installed - McAfee products did not cause the problem), or

2. Downloading the adminstrator full installation pack for Vista SP2, and installing it in SAFE MODE!

(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/nl-nl/details.aspx?FamilyID=891ab806-2431-4d00-afa3-99ff6f22448d)

My bet is that 2. solved it, for I got (when installing the standalone distro for SP2) a remark that SP2 already was being installed (this happened 3 times; ofcourse with intermediate reboots).

I also got the following Microsoft Windows Update error: ["code b7"]. This happened just once.

After TWO years, this laptop can be happy again (k) ; )

Good luck and Peace!!!

Devvie

~~~ notemail@facebook.com ~~~

Cuisvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore persevare
    ——
    All spelling mistakes are my own and may only be distributed under the GNU General Public License! – (© 95-1 by Coredump; 2-011 by DevNullius)

Friday, June 24, 2011 2:02 PM
  • Dear Mellow,

I am missing the winhttp.dll file.  Could you send it to me ?  My error message codeis 8007007E. I am unable to do windows updates.

Thanks,

EyePokers

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 12:33 AM