none
Cannot remove Control Panel Icon from Desktop Toolbar

Question

• I cannot remove the Control Panel icon from my Desktop Toolbar.  I posted a question about this before, when I had two such icons showing up.  I was given a registry key to delete:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{5399E694-6CE5-4D6C-8FCE-1D8870FDCBA0.  I deleted that, and one of the icons went away.  The other icon remains.  I have unchecked the Control Panel icon in Personalization > Change Desktop Icons.  I have tried deleting it, but it will not go away.  How do I keep the Control Panel icon from showing up on my Desktop Toolbar?
    Friday, May 21, 2010 10:46 PM

Answers

• I cannot remove the Control Panel icon from my Desktop Toolbar.  I posted a question about this before, when I had two such icons showing up.  I was given a registry key to delete:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
    CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{5399E694-6CE5-4D6C-8FCE-1D8870FDCBA0.  I deleted that, and one of the icons went away.  The other icon remains.  I have unchecked the Control Panel icon in Personalization > Change Desktop Icons.  I have tried deleting it, but it will not go away.  How do I keep the Control Panel icon from showing up on my Desktop Toolbar?

Hi

You cannot remove that icon from the Desktop Toolbar, this is the way that toolbar was designed.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Saturday, May 22, 2010 7:23 AM

All replies

• I cannot remove the Control Panel icon from my Desktop Toolbar.  I posted a question about this before, when I had two such icons showing up.  I was given a registry key to delete:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
    CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{5399E694-6CE5-4D6C-8FCE-1D8870FDCBA0.  I deleted that, and one of the icons went away.  The other icon remains.  I have unchecked the Control Panel icon in Personalization > Change Desktop Icons.  I have tried deleting it, but it will not go away.  How do I keep the Control Panel icon from showing up on my Desktop Toolbar?

Hi

You cannot remove that icon from the Desktop Toolbar, this is the way that toolbar was designed.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Saturday, May 22, 2010 7:23 AM
  • That is something else entirely.  If you right-click on your taskbar and go to Toolbars, you will see "Desktop" as an option.  Turn that on, and everything on your desktop is now available via a toolbar on your taskbar.  I have been doing this for many years, and then turning off desktop icons so I have an uncluttered desktop.

Saturday, May 22, 2010 7:53 PM
  • That is a poor design.  Forcing users to have an icon on a toolbar which has nothing to do directly with that toolbar (the Control Panel is for controlling a wide variety of things, the desktop being only one of them) is bad judgment.  Just an opinion, but I have trouble imagining anyone wanting to not have an option like that.  I am not saying everyone would want to remove it, but I think everyone would like to have the ability to.  However, this is an answer, even if it's not one I like.
    Saturday, May 22, 2010 7:53 PM
  • One that points at Computer?  What would that accomplish?  That would show me the contents of my computer, not what's on my desktop, which is what I want.  Not sure where you got the idea that all I want to see is what's on my computer.  The Computer icon is only one of 38 icons on my desktop, including the unwanted Control Panel icon.

I did try creating a toolbar that points to my desktop, but it only gave me 13 of the icons on my desktop.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 3:56 AM
  • I agree 100%. Microsoft needs to quit trying to micromanage my display.
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 6:03 PM
  • I cannot remove the Control Panel icon from my Desktop Toolbar.  I posted a question about this before, when I had two such icons showing up.  I was given a registry key to delete:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{5399E694-6CE5-4D6C-8FCE-1D8870FDCBA0.  I deleted that, and one of the icons went away.  The other icon remains.  I have unchecked the Control Panel icon in Personalization > Change Desktop Icons.  I have tried deleting it, but it will not go away.  How do I keep the Control Panel icon from showing up on my Desktop Toolbar?
    I have a clear toolbar with no control panel icon on it, you should just be able to right click and unpin
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 11:02 PM