none
Windows 7 64 bit DVD Maker locking up

Question

• windows 7 64 bit Ultimate N, all updates current. LG super writemaster DVD burners. When I try to use Windows dvd maker it processes the file (the bar graph gets to 86.6%), it thens asks for a disk. I insert the disk - the light on the dvd burner flashes a few times and then the program locks up. After app. 4 mins the system tells me the program is no longer responding.
    The dvd burner wont eject and when I open 'My Computer' the dvd drive is no longer there. I have to reboot to get it back.
    Origionally I had the 2 burners on one sata port as master and slave and they would both lock up and disappear. I seperated them as masters on dirrerent ports and now only the one I attempt to burn on locks up.

If I don't use DVD Maker but just send files to the drive and then burn the files to disk it all works fine - the drives burn the files ok.

Astroburn Light works ok on the system.

I have tried various file types with the same result each time.

Is this a known issue? It seems the DVD Maker has a bug of some kind.

Your input would be appreciated.

Graeme

Saturday, January 21, 2012 8:37 AM

Answers

All replies

• 1. I have used native burning tool many times and without any problem. However, is it very simple and without any need to configure, I prefere more advanced and free CDBurnerXP.

2. Test your burning with only one drive

3. Look into Device manager and confirm that the drive is installed correctly

4. Look for errors and warnings in Event log

5. If you really want to dig deeper, use Process Monitor from Sysinternals to pinpoint the critical process.

Regards

Milos

Saturday, January 21, 2012 9:00 AM
  • Hi,

This may be also caused by the filter driver. You may follow the article in the link below to resolve the issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

Also, please check whether there is any update firmware for this DVD burner. If so, update it to latest version.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 23, 2012 9:42 AM