none
Windows 7 won't boot up after update

Question

• I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium on a home built desktop with an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe MB, and an AMD processor. It only has a single 160g HD. Automatic updates are turned on, and it has AVAST IS for virus protection.

Here's the problem. I came home from work the other day and the computer was frozen up, so I had to hit the reset button to reboot. When it came back up, it would get as far as the "starting windows" screen, then everything would go black and non responsive.  I think the computer was in the process of updating when I left for work.

I've tried to use the repair console, and it keeps telling me it cannot start the repair tool, and it will not go back to a known time through system restore. For some reason, I cannot get it to "safe mode" either.

The other morning, I placed the Windows 7 CD in it hoping to repair it that way. For some reason It cannot find my installation of Windows 7. It keeps telling me the only image of Windows 7 is on the "D" drive. I do not have a "D" drive. When I attempted to load drivers (hoping to atleast get into safe mode), I found it apparently thinks I have 3 drives in the computer. "C" drive is now listed as System Reserved (with 70.3 mb free of 99.9mb), "D" is now called Local Disk (with 110 gb free of 148 gb) and something called "X" drive listed as Boot (with 28.9 mb free of 31.3 mb). My CD drive has been relisted as "E" drive, and shows that I have the <acronym title="Windows">Win</acronym> 7 CD in it.

I cannot get into safe mode. When I hit F8, it takes me to a screen that asks me to choose which device to boot from. If I do not use F8, it takes me to a screen that asks me to launch the repair wizard or start windows normally. Last night I was actually able to start the repair wizard, but it didn't fix anything.

Today, I finally got it to atleast ATTEMPT to run the startup repair. After running it 6 times, I get the same reports. Here's what I get:

Startup Repair:
    Problem Event Name- Startup Repair Offline
    Problem Signature 01- 6.1.7600.16385
    Problem Signature 02- 6.1.7600.16385
    Problem Signature 03- Unknown
    Problem Signature 04- 21200957
    Problem Signature 05- Auto Failure
    Problem Signature 06- (ranges from 1-6, but always corresponds with the attempt #)
    Problem Signature 07- CorruptAcl

OS Version- 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID- 1033

Files That Describe The Problem:
    D;\Windows\System32\LogFiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt
    X:\Windows\Temp\StartupRepair.etl
    D:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\Srt\disklayout.txt
    D:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\Srt\bcdinfo.txt
    D:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\Srt\bootstat.dat
    D:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\Srt\bootfailure.txt

Startup Repair Diagnosis and Repair Details:
    All the tests that it runs in its sessions showed "completed" until it got down to the problem.
    Root Cause Found:
    -- A patch is preventing the system from starting

The next session showed all tests "completed" until it got down to the problem.
    Root Cause Found:
    -- ACLs on file D:\Windows\System32\KGyGaAvl.sys are not proper. Old value=0x12019f

The 3rd session showed all tests completed until it got down to the problem.
    Root Cause Found:
    -- A patch is preventing the system from starting

Repair Action: System Restore
    Result: failed. error code=0x490

I certainly hope that means something to one of you, and you can tell me how to fix it. Thanks

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 12:26 AM

Answers

• You were right.....and I did.  Don't know what problem, but definetly a problem.  I ended up dumping it and reloading Windows 7.  It was a pain, and I lost a few things I wanted to save, but nothing major.  Anyway, I changed my "automatic update" settings after I reloaded, and everything is working fine.  I just made sure no updates scheduled around May 12, 2010 got downloaded.
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, June 03, 2010 7:20 AM
    Wednesday, June 02, 2010 12:18 AM

All replies

• That sounds strange. I've never seen a 160 GB drive transmogrify itself into a 260GB+ drive. It sounds like the drive's MBR (master boot record) is messed up. I don't suppose that it was ever part of a RAID array? (The RAID settings can persist.)

To boot into safe mode on an Asus motherboard, press F8 to get to the boot device menu. Choose your normal boot device (Hard drive, usually), and press enter. Immediately press F8 again, repeatedly, to bring up the screen allowing you to boot into the mode of your choice. (I wish that Asus hadn't chosen F8 as the hotkey for selecting the boot device.)

I'm not optimistic that will save the day for you, but I hope that it helps.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 2:58 AM
  • Hi Tommy C,

I suggest running Command Prompt from the repair menu and then Check Disk:

1. Insert the Windows 7 Disc and boot from it.

2. In the recovery menu, choose Command Prompt .

3. Type the following command and press Enter:

Chkdsk /r /f

Please also try the following commands and press Enter at the end of each line:

Ren C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml pending.old

Ren C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution SDOLD

Regedit.exe

When the register editor opens, please navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\COMPONENTS:

* High light the COMPONENTS key. Please check if the following values exist in the right pane:

AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving 

PendingXmlIdentifier

* If so, please right click on them and choose Delete them. Confirm the operation.

* Restart the computer.

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 2:09 AM
  • THANK YOU for the suggestions, guys !!!!  I will try them as soon as I can.

Which "drive" should I run the chkdsk on?  I now have 3 listed.  From what I understand through research, they are all supposed to be there, but I don't have a clue why, or how.

How do I figure out which updates have been installed since 5/10 ?  My son's computer (running XP) had a similar issue last year after it updated, and chkdsk didn't help it.  I eventually found someone that told me step by step instructions how to delete the updates by going in through the command prompt.  But I do not remember how to do it, and he had all the "KB" numbers listed for me to erase.   Does anyone know how to do this, and which "KB"s have been installed (or atleast tell me how to find them) ?? 

Thursday, May 20, 2010 9:57 AM
  • Have I mentioned how much I HATE computers !!!!!

When I finally got time where I could sit down and mess with this thing, I turn it on, and it boots itself up to a "restored version" from over a month ago.  Success you might think, I certainly did.  But NOT !!!

First, my start menue is gone.  All the listed programs, and the little icons acroos the bar at the bottom.....all gone.

Second, my email account is gone.  It wanted me to set up a new account.  I don't mind redoing it, but I NEED back the messages that were there.

Third, can't access a BUNCH of things..such as printer folder, my documents, etc.  It just locks up.

Fourth, when I reboot, it will eventually boot up, but it takes like 5 minutes

Fifth, my Avast IS will not work.

I tried to go into the command prompt using the Windows 7 CD as suggested by Vivian Xing, but it will not let me run chkdsk.  It keeps saying the drive is right protected and will note me access it.  Cannot run any of the "Ren C" commands either.  It keeps saying it's an invalid command.  Finally, there is no "components" tab listed under HIKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

Anybody got any ideas on this ??  PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sunday, May 23, 2010 7:25 PM
  • i think you have a problem and need to fix it
    Tuesday, June 01, 2010 3:31 PM
  • You were right.....and I did.  Don't know what problem, but definetly a problem.  I ended up dumping it and reloading Windows 7.  It was a pain, and I lost a few things I wanted to save, but nothing major.  Anyway, I changed my "automatic update" settings after I reloaded, and everything is working fine.  I just made sure no updates scheduled around May 12, 2010 got downloaded.
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, June 03, 2010 7:20 AM
    Wednesday, June 02, 2010 12:18 AM
  • This is the exact same issue I am experiencing with my work desktop!  I installed all Windows Updates one night before leaving the office and hit Restart.  When I came in on Monday morning my PC gave me the lovely Windows Failed to start launch startup repair recommended routine.  After several failed attempts resulting in the lovely "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically!"

I decided a fresh install was required.    I pulled out a new hard drive and installed everything fresh.  The first thing I do is install Windows Updates before anything else.  The .Net 4 Framework was installed by itself and the system restarted fine.  I then installed all of the other detected updates "Critical" rebooted and now I am chasing my tail again.  And guess what the error is...."a patch is preventing the system from starting".

Windows Update Team Please FIX this major issue!  Patches are supposed to protect us from viruses not blow them up in-operable!

I also think the XP boot cd was much more effective than the new Startup Repair introduced since the launch of Vista.  if all else failed in XP i could always run a nice repair installation!

RV

Friday, October 22, 2010 8:29 PM
  • Same here. I even replaced a HDD thinking it must be failing drive. Then fresh Win 7 install , all good until I do windows update. After MANY fresh installs, I started updating in sections, and after 2347290, 2378111, 2387149, 972270, 974571, 975467, 975560, 977165 it crashed again. One of these updates is costing me my nerves , when automatic windows repair scans the OS for many minutes, just to tell me that OS on my single partitioned hdd has boot critical file D:\win.....\ntoskrnl.exe corrupted. Bootrec however wont find any win installations at all..... O Dear. And now explain it to frustrated clients, to whom I blindly promised, that upgrade from Vista will stop their nightmares....

V

• Proposed as answer by darkwing29 Saturday, January 01, 2011 7:43 PM
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 12:58 AM
  • I think I found the culprit!  After I uninstalled the update 2378149, which was dated Dec 14, my computer now starts up just fine!  I've tried shutting down and restarting 4 - 5 times, and works good everytime now.  Hope this helps.

Sunday, January 02, 2011 12:25 AM
  • I am suffering with this problem frm last few days and finally i formatted the OS drive and reinstalled the OS. And turned off all the Updates !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Thanks God Now its working fine...
    • Proposed as answer by Arjan Zym Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:15 PM
    Monday, January 03, 2011 12:59 AM
  • i have a same problem, on two comuters, i go on repair modeand i make System Restore and evrything is working but if i install updates i got a problem back. i have delete files on SoftwareDestributions/Downlaods and download the updates again, but its not working... evry time i install this updates i get a repair mode after reboot...

i can not make new installation of OS because this are a costumer Computers 2x: Acer Veriton M670G

they are the Updates:

Security Updates for Internet Explorer 8 (KB2482017)
    Security Updates (KB2393802)
    Security Updates (KB2425227)
    Security Updates (KB2475792)
    Security Updates (KB2479628)
    Security Updates (KB2485376)
    Security Updates (KB2454826)
    Security Updates (KB2467023)
    Security Updates (KB2502285)
    Windows Tool Remover... (KB890830)

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:49 PM
  • Same problem here.  Just put together a new system (asus m4a785-m sysboard, AMD proc, geforce 8800 GTX video card) and on clean install when i run the windows updates on reboot it goes into system repair and will never fix it.  Will not boot up and the only thing you can do is format reinstall and do not load updates. My next step is to load up as many updates as i can except the ones noted above.  I can see this being a problem and at some point in the future i will accidently load the needed updates and blow up my system up again and have to fromat reload again.  I have already done this about 6 times so far.  I wish someone knew what exactly was happening with the updates instead of just don't install them.

Sunday, March 06, 2011 4:27 PM
  • not even a clean os going straight to sp1 works.  Will try to load windows 7 with SP1 included but doesn't look like disk is out yet for enterpise version just pro.

Update - After restoring BIOS to defaults problem went away.  Only thing I remember changing was boot order.  Buddy says windows 7 very picky about boot order, HD needs to be first boot device, eventhough it would boot up and go into windows repair this worked.  Hope that helps.

Sunday, March 06, 2011 6:25 PM
  • i think you have a problem and need to fix it
    I think YOU have a problem and need counselling.   I suggest that anyone who cannot contribute a helpful reply abstains from doing so!
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 5:36 AM
  • I think I found the culprit!  After I uninstalled the update 2378149, which was dated Dec 14, my computer now starts up just fine!  I've tried shutting down and restarting 4 - 5 times, and works good everytime now.  Hope this helps.

How does one uninstall an update if the damned machine will not boot under any circumstances?   It would be interesting to know.   I suspect that damned update is what is stopping my computer from doing anything but show a cursor.
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 5:40 AM
  • You wrote << the damned machine will not boot under any circumstances?>> and i have the same problem - but it will *eventually* boot - today i waited 3 hours before it finally booted up to Win7 desktop.  I have run the "Start-up Repair Program" and got the error code 0x490 which brought me here.  I plan to try the repair suggested above but I hesitate to reboot to try the fix - once that it's running it works great - until I must reboot.

I also tried the Default settings in BIOS and it did nothing.  But be patient - i started the computer and the little balloon came up and it said Starting Windows.  I left and went to the gas station, filled up with gas and came home - at least an hour trip.  When i got home it was still on the same screen.  I messed around and1/2 hr later peeked at the screen and Surprise!  it had the desktop! 

I'll try to uninstall 2378149 and se what happens!

Be Patient - give it time to reboot!

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 5:42 PM
  • I have the same problem on 2 computers - IMO MS should issue a patch to fix this problem - removing what is supposedly a important Patch is not logical - MS says the updates/Patches are Important so they should be installed.  But one or more Updates/Patches are damaging the computers!  And the MS Start-up Program repair DOES NOT HELP!  Yet that's the only suggestion MS can offer. 
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 5:52 PM
  • I have the same question, how to uninstall when you can' t start windows. I can start in safe mode but it won't let me uninstall in safe mode. Thx.

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 3:04 PM
  • I have the same problem... The only way i've made my computer working again was to format my hdd and reinstall windows 7. DISABLE automatic updates and NEVER update it.

Oh by the way if someone find an answer to this problem please reply. I would like to use XPmode in windows 7 but for that i have to update to sp1 ...

My specs are:

MB: asus a8n32sli deluxe

CPU: amd athlon x2 3800+

MEM: 2g kingston

GPU: evga 9800GT

HDD: 1x sata 2x ide

DVDCD: 1x sata

SC: soundblaster live x-fi platinum

thanks peace!

Monday, February 13, 2012 2:27 AM
  • has anyone found a fix to the problem or what update is affected

i would really like to turn updates on

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 2:44 AM
  • I had over 25 updates to download and install because I didn't do it straight away knowing it would prompt me to shut my computer down every 4 hours - which I cant stand.

After about a week of getting annoyed with the "updates available" icon and text box which pops up, I decided to download the updates, but was not ready to restart the computer. I looked into how to disable those annoying pop ups letting you know your time is ticking down before Microsoft takes over your computer and shuts it down.

I went to the dos prompt and followed instructions I got from a website to disable the messages for 24 hours and my computer was still on the next day.

Last night, I finally shut down and then this morning when I went to turn on my computer it was stuck on the "windows is starting" screen for 10 min. I had no choice but to shut down my computer and when it came back on, I had the option of loading normally or loading with repair tool. I picked normal and it re-loaded to the same "starting windows" screen with nothing else happening. I again, manually shut it down and this time picked the option, "repair tool."

After 20 min, the repair tool told me it couldn't fix the start up problem and asked me if I want to system restore. I said "yes." This brought me back to yesterday, and it seemed to be ok, so I had to fix my anti virus which now was "off" due to the system restore and I then rebooted. It rebooted properly. I then went to download the updates again and upon reboot with the updates, when it got to the "windows is starting" screen, the same thing happened. It wouldn't move past it. I had to manually shut down again and do the repair tool again and system restore again to get back in.

By then, I knew the windows updates were my problem, but I didn't know which one, so I decided to try to download each one separately. After I downloaded the first one, it froze again upon reboot at the "windows is starting" screen. I didn't think I was just lucky in picking the right one first and it took me over and hour that last time to use the repair tool to get it to load to the desktop.

Now I'm afraid to load any windows updates because something in them is messing with my start up and if I can't get into my computer, I can't do anything about anything. I did reboot after this because again, my anti virus software was out of whack and rebooting after fixing it and that was not a problem.

I have now waited 1 week and "hid" all the updates that were in the batch that gave me the problem.  Today a new update came in and I was hopeful in thinking the problem would not happen again.  I downloaded and installed the most current update and went to reboot and the same thing happened.  The computer was stuck at the "starting windows" screen again and again I had to shut off the computer and do a repair start up and system restore then this time I even had to uninstall my anti-virus program and reinstall.  It took forever and at this point, I'm just never downloading another windows update.  This really doesn't sit right with me, but I can't download updates and have them do worse damage than a virus would.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 4:37 AM
  • Same problem for me. I've been unable to install updates for the past 6 months. Whenever I do, my PC crashes and won't restart unless I do a system restore... and even then windows often won't start. When it finally does, there is the update alert waiting again to cause problems. Startup repair is never any help and tells me it's unable to auto fix the problem, it's offline.. bla bla. Last time I got hit with over 15,000 registry changes/updates. No idea what that's doing other than reeking havoc. The update shut down defender and my AV and I'm still working to restore function. Because I can't install updates -- windows is very unstable and my PC is vulnerable. But I'm forced to take my chances this way, or have no use of my PC at all. There are MAJOR flaws in the win 7 update process and programming! Sorry I can't give anyone a solution. That is Microsoft's responsibility.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 9:08 PM
  • has anyone found a fix to the problem or what update is affected

i would really like to turn updates

The best way I did it was to get a docking station for my hdd right click tool disk check and that fixed mine and after that it updated right when I put my hdd back in my other pc.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 5:16 PM
  • Hi Tommy C,

I suggest running Command Prompt from the repair menu and then Check Disk:

1. Insert the Windows 7 Disc and boot from it.

2. In the recovery menu, choose Command Prompt .

3. Type the following command and press Enter:

Chkdsk /r /f

Please also try the following commands and press Enter at the end of each line:

Ren C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml pending.old

Ren C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution SDOLD

Regedit.exe

When the register editor opens, please navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\COMPONENTS:

* High light the COMPONENTS key. Please check if the following values exist in the right pane:

AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving 

PendingXmlIdentifier

* If so, please right click on them and choose Delete them. Confirm the operation.

* Restart the computer.

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT

Hi,

can, t seem to find the component part you mentioned, all values are set to defaulf regsz? Does this mean a recovery? Also pending file not found and restore points are eithr damaged or deleted during restore. Can I copy my data to disk from the dos prompt?

Friday, February 14, 2014 8:40 PM
  • Hello All.

I had this similar problem with my Dell Latitude E5510. I reinstalled Windows 7 back after a disk replacement and once I did ANY windows update it started having booting problems. I reinstalled several times and tried all most users here have done to no avail. It all ends up with "Windows cannot detect any problem". In all honesty to Microsoft Windows Update is a complexity made by the countless hardware platforms they had to operate on and even with big OEMs its still comes as a problem at times.

In my own case I later discovered Dell had updated the BIOS versions to resolve some issues with the intel chipsets on the laptop. So after I reinstalled Windows 7, I did an update and it crashed as usual unable to boot again. Then I updated the BIOS software and it started booting normally again and I was able to do the rest Windows Updates without any glitch.

I hope this is helpful to someone. Cheers...

Saturday, August 30, 2014 6:50 PM