none
PendingFileRenameOperations repeatedly populated by printer drivers after Windows 7 upgrade

Question

• On my new Windows 7 machine (Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit upgrade from Vista), I find that something with the printer drivers is repeatedly adding settings to the PendingFileRenameOperations key in the registry.

In particular, there are two DELETE entries for:
    - C:\Windows\system32\spool\PRTPROCS\x64\1_ML2550pc.dll
    - C:\Windows\system32\spool\PRTPROCS\x64\1_HPZPPLHN.DLL

I recognize that ML2550pc.dll is for my Samsung ML-2552W printer and HPZPPLHN.DLL is for my HP Deskjet and Laserjet printers. Note that the file that Windows wants to delete is prepended with a "1_". In the C:\windows\system32\spool\PRTPROCS\x64 directory, I do find the 1_ files as well as the originals without the 1_ prepended.

Things I have tried to clear out this setting:
    - I have restarted the computer multiple times.
    - I have removed all HP and Samsung printers from my Devices and Printers.
    - I have manually deleted the files (both the 1_ versions and the other versions).

Nevertheless, after restarting, the DLLs reappear and the 1_ DELETE entries are added to PendingFileRenameOperations. This problem seems to have occurred on two separate installations of Windows 7 upgraded from Windows Vista.

This problem does not seem to occur on my 32-bit clean install of Windows 7 pro. It also does not seem to occur on a 64-bit clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate.

What can I do to correct this issue?
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 5:01 PM

Answers

• It appears this issue may have been corrected by a recent Windows Update to the HP and Samsung printer drivers on my system. On at least one system, the PendingFileRenameOperations is consistently clear now.
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 2:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I suggest you try to clear previous printer driver and reinstall printer manually. You need to refer to the printer manufacturer’s website to download the latest version of the driver for Windows 7.

Step 1

======

Start Windows Explorer, and then rename all files and folders in the following three folders:

c:\windows\system32\spool\printers

c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86

c:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\x64

To rename a file, we can right click the file and select Rename.

Step 2

======

1. Click Start, type REGEDIT in the Start Search Bar, and then press ENTER.

2. Navigate to and then click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environment\Windows NT x86

View the list of subkeys. There should be only the following subkeys:

Drivers

Print Processors

If there are any keys other than those listed above, follow these steps:

a. On the File menu, click Export.

b. In the File Name box, type a descriptive name for this key -- for example, type WindowsNTx86regkey -- and then click Save to save it to your local Desktop.

We can use this backup of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environment\Windows NT x86 registry key to restore the key if you experience any problems after you complete this procedure.

c. Delete all keys other than Drivers and Print Processors.

3. Repeat the above steps for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environment\Windows x64

Step 3

======

Navigate to and click the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors registry key. View the list of subkeys. There should be only the following subkeys:

BJ Language Monitor

Local Port

Microsoft Document Imaging Writer Monitor

Microsoft Shared Fax Monitor

Standard TCP/IP Port

USB Monitor

WSD Port

If there are any keys other than those listed in above, follow these steps to delete them:

a. On the File menu, click Export.

b. In the File Name box, type a descriptive name for this key -- for example, type Monitorsregkey -- and then click Save to save it to your local Desktop.

We can use this backup of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors registry key to restore the key if you experience any problems after you complete this procedure.

c. Delete all keys other than the 7 listed above.

Step 4. Disconnect the printer cable from the computer, and then restart the computer.

Step 5. Reconnect the printer cable to the computer, install the printer according to the manufacturer's installation instructions, and then check if the issue persists.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Friday, October 30, 2009 6:02 AM
  • Arthur,
     Thanks for the suggestions. I followed your instructions, but they did not affect my issue. Here are some notes on my experience with respect to your instructions.

Before proceeding, I uninstalled DeskPDF and doPDF (both print-to-PDF drivers) and removed all printers from Drivers and Printers except for Fax and "Microsoft XPS Document Writer". I also removed all custom TCP/IP ports, as my printers are typically connected to my computer using TCP/IP (LPR).

In step 1, there were many files in the spool\drivers\x64. Rather than rename them all, I copied the x64 directory to a backup location and then deleted all of the files. I believe this was the purpose of renaming the files.
     There were no files in the other spool\drivers\x86 nor spool\printers directories.

In step 2, there were no additional keys to be deleted.

In step 3, I removed the following keys from monitors: "Docudesk Print Monitor", "PCL hpz311hn", "PJL Language Monitor". I did not have a "BJ Language Monitor" nor "Microsoft Document Imaging Writer Monitor". I also deleted the file Windows\System32\ddmon64x.dll which was referenced by Docudesk Print Monitor.

I have no printers connected to my computer.

Still, after restarting, the two DLLs are still listed (with _1 prepended) in the PendingFileRenameOperations.  Before restarting, I noted that there were multiple entries for very similar DLLs in PRTPROCS, prepended with 1_, 2_, and 3_.

Please let me know if you have any additional suggestions.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 3:22 PM
  • Hi,

You may refer to the following link and try to backup and delete the PendingFileRenameOperations value in Safe Mode to check the issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310335

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, November 02, 2009 2:48 AM
  • Thanks again for the suggestion. I have deleted that registry key, but clearly it gets recreated on boot. Additional entries get created through out the run time of the system as well.

I guess I'll just do a clean install.
    Monday, November 02, 2009 3:42 AM
  • It appears this issue may have been corrected by a recent Windows Update to the HP and Samsung printer drivers on my system. On at least one system, the PendingFileRenameOperations is consistently clear now.
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 2:33 PM
  • I have a similar issue on my new Windows 7 laptop, however I cannot even locate the PendingFileRenameOperations registry key to delete it. SFC "found no integrity violations".

The last successful installation was .NET Framework 4 via Windows Update.

• Proposed as answer by Swamp Lynx Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:13 PM
    Wednesday, February 09, 2011 4:19 PM
  • I solved it by:

click Start->Devices and Printers

selected related HP printers

right click and choose remove device

Reboot the computer

Monday, February 25, 2013 5:48 AM