none
External hard drive will not initialize

Question

• I am running windows 7 32 bit and have a 80gb external hard drive.  When I connect the hard drive it shows up with all the correct drivers and and under the Disk management console it comes up but will not initialize.  The Initialize disk wizard comes up and I have tried to do both option and a window comes up with "incorrect function".  I can see the disk in disk management but when I right click on the Disk 1 the only options are properties and help.  Initialized disk is at the top but I am unable to click it.    

How do I initialize a disk that will not give me a Initialize disk option?

Can I use Boot and Nuke to clear this drive during a startup?

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 1:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Go to BIOS to check if BIOS can recognize the external HD.

Also you can try to use these command below:

1 Run CMD with administrator

2 Input diskpart and press Enter

3 Input these command:

DISKPART> SELECT DISK n (n is the disk number)
    DISKPART> ATTRIBUTES DISK CLEAR READONLY
    DISKPART> ONLINE DISK
    DISKPART> CONVERT MBR

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, August 26, 2011 5:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Go to BIOS to check if BIOS can recognize the external HD.

Also you can try to use these command below:

1 Run CMD with administrator

2 Input diskpart and press Enter

3 Input these command:

DISKPART> SELECT DISK n (n is the disk number)
    DISKPART> ATTRIBUTES DISK CLEAR READONLY
    DISKPART> ONLINE DISK
    DISKPART> CONVERT MBR

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, August 26, 2011 5:45 AM
  • Pls help on this . i tried wit Disk Management also.But no use

Saturday, October 29, 2011 11:29 AM
  • You have explained it in very good way. I really appreciate that. I've  Iomega external hard disk drive. But I've a different problem. Whenever I'm trying to initialize the disk it says data error cyclic redundancy check. Please help me out of this. I've very important data in my external hard drive please help.
    Thursday, December 01, 2011 11:23 AM
  • Having the same error as mentioned by 'ScofiledOsh'.

Please provide me with the solution if anyone have. Thanks

Regards,
    Abhi

Saturday, August 11, 2012 7:20 PM
  • try to use gparted live cd

Saturday, September 15, 2012 3:02 AM
  • Was wondering if you ever got your problem fixed. My gf dropped my external and now I have the exact same problem with my hard drive. If you have anything... 
    Monday, November 26, 2012 12:04 AM
  • yea I HAVE THIS ONE ALSO
    Friday, April 05, 2013 11:37 PM
  • Hi,

I spent many hours over a few days to find this answer.  In a new build, the Windows 7 installation would not recognize my hard drive.  I could not format it.  I took it to my working computer and it would not initialize or format and it was write protected and I had to search the web for every reason given to me.  I had even gone to diskpart but your list was the one that worked.  Now my new computer is installing Windows 7.  Thanks a million.

johnnyByum

Friday, February 28, 2014 6:12 AM