none
Reinstall Windows Media Player in Vista?

Question

• Is it possible to reinstall WMP without doing a complete reinstall/repair install of Vista?  I'm having a problem streaming Sirius Satellite Radio online, which started about a week ago - it was working fine until then.

I've tried the 'reset' function in IE7, with no luck - although it does seem to cause a reinstall of the ActiveX control for Sirius/WMP -

I'm 99% sure it's not a networking issue, since I can see the TCP connections Open, and stay open while attempting to play - the player will say 'connecting', then 'ready', and never actually start playing.

I've tried w/ Firefox as well, and the WMP ActiveX plugin for it, but that also does the same thing, as well as the Sirius Internet Radio player at http://reickenbacker.com/SIR/Player

-- no good.. I'd prefer to not have to do a full repair install of Vista, any way to just reinstall/repair WMP 11?  I tried the WMP11 for XP download, however it will not install, saying a newer version is already installed.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Sal

Tuesday, June 05, 2007 2:24 PM

Answers

• I found a fix to the sirius streaming issue.  It may fix other's issues as well:

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/68398-windowsn-media-player-always-ready.html

Rename/delete the "Windows Media" folder located under
    %userprofile%\appdata\local\microsoft
    Monday, August 13, 2007 10:30 PM
  • There is no way possible to reinstall Windows Media Player being that it is part of the actual Vista program.

The issue I was experiencing was not being able to play audio or video files (via audio/video streaming).  In other words, I would have to download the file to my hard drive prior to Playing the files within Windows Media Player. 

I was able to resolve the issue on last night by basically clicking Start -> Default Programs -> Set Default Programs -> Windows Media Player -> Set this program as default and clicking OK.  Afterwards, I was able to go to http://www.churchofgodincolumbusga.com/media2.html and play the audio files immediately after clicking on the desired title. 

Hopefully the info above helps!! 

Saturday, August 11, 2007 10:26 PM

All replies

• I have exactly the same problem, in the sense that I can't figure out how to re-install WMP on Vista.  It refuses to start on an otherwise perfectly working laptop.
    • Proposed as answer by pregunton7412 Thursday, July 08, 2010 6:27 AM
    Thursday, June 07, 2007 9:54 PM
  • I am having probems too watching certain LIVE Stream TV through WMP11 and cannot re-install WMP11. So will have to sit it out until a newer version or WMP12 appears!!!
    • Proposed as answer by keith r young Thursday, February 09, 2012 5:43 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by keith r young Thursday, February 09, 2012 5:43 PM
    Monday, June 18, 2007 12:51 PM
  • Is there any answers on reinstalling wmp 11 on vista as my wmp is not working properly either.
    Thursday, June 28, 2007 8:53 AM
  • you can reinstall from the Microsoft download page. download the most recent version of wmp for xp and it will work on vista. however the latest version i have installed is newer than what is posted so i cant reinstall. my problem is that the only tab i get in the options is for burning cd,s. no privacy tab in windows vista media player. help!
    Sunday, July 01, 2007 6:06 PM
  • i have the same problem as you......

Can anyone sugguest a fix
    Sunday, July 29, 2007 6:26 AM
  • same here

Monday, July 30, 2007 11:02 AM
  •  

Still not fixed! Doenst anyone from microsoft read these posts?
    Monday, July 30, 2007 3:14 PM
  • I THINK I have a solution. I was having a similar problem and I searched the Internet for an answer, but to no avail. WMP 11 would not open and my .wmv plugins no longer worked. When I clicked on WMP 11 in the Start menu (in Vista) it looked as though the computer would try to open it, but fail. I rebooted, then right-clicked on WMP 11 and selected "Run as Administrator." WMP 11 actually opened! However, it only worked if I tried to run as administrator. My plugins STILL didn't work and I couldn't use the "Open with WMP" command. For some reason, WMP's failure to open reminded me of the delay that occurs when trying to open a new program or install something and the security feature pops up asking you to verify the action. So, this is what I tried and it worked for me. Disable the User Account Control feature. Since doing this WMP has worked flawlessly. Even my plugins work! If anyone else attempts this "fix," please report the results in this forum. I'm not sure why the User Account Control would prevent WMP from working properly, but like I said, it worked for me. Good luck.

Thursday, August 02, 2007 1:06 PM
  • I have the same problem, and the same "solution" works for me.  It also works if I log in as "guest" instead of my normal administrator account.

The problem is, I'm afraid to leave UAC off.  Isn't there another way to fix this???

Friday, August 03, 2007 11:06 PM
  • I am SICK and TIRED of Microsoft products. The only reason I need Windows Media Player is to transfer  DRM audio-books onto my Zen, but no the Windows Media Player is completely and utterly corrupted, it opens, but everything is blank with lines like ---------- instead of text,  and there is no way to reinstall this stupid application.  In fact when I download this WMP11 for XP it actually tells me that your version is newer and you cannot install or repair it. But hey, what am I to do ? Can I use Vista to repair WMP11  ? I don't think so, since I've tried looking for repair option in the Vista Premium disk. So now I actually have to waste my time reinstalling the whole OS just to get that stupid application work.

And of course, having my Vista OS for a little more than 90 days, requires me to pay $59 just to speak with their Indian customer service whom they pay a fraction what they charge.

So one good reason Microsoft shouldn't embed any applications in its OS is that when they fell to work, which is all the time, the user got to reinstall the whole OS or wait for an upgrade. Just give me the bare-bone OS if you can't make applications work reliably Redmond assholes !

Saturday, August 04, 2007 8:12 AM
  •  hollywood johnson wrote:

The problem is, I'm afraid to leave UAC off.  Isn't there another way to fix this???

Uninstall any third party plugins or codecs, it sounds like one is crashing WMP when it doesn't have admin rights.

Sunday, August 05, 2007 8:12 PM
  • How can I find out what ones I have installed, and uninstall them?

Monday, August 06, 2007 12:05 AM
  •  Sal Castiglione wrote:

Is it possible to reinstall WMP without doing a complete reinstall/repair install of Vista?  I'm having a problem streaming Sirius Satellite Radio online, which started about a week ago - it was working fine until then.

I've tried the 'reset' function in IE7, with no luck - although it does seem to cause a reinstall of the ActiveX control for Sirius/WMP -

I'm 99% sure it's not a networking issue, since I can see the TCP connections Open, and stay open while attempting to play - the player will say 'connecting', then 'ready', and never actually start playing.

I've tried w/ Firefox as well, and the WMP ActiveX plugin for it, but that also does the same thing, as well as the Sirius Internet Radio player at http://reickenbacker.com/SIR/Player

-- no good.. I'd prefer to not have to do a full repair install of Vista, any way to just reinstall/repair WMP 11?  I tried the WMP11 for XP download, however it will not install, saying a newer version is already installed.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Sal

I am having the same exact issue as you.  Everything worked fine until a few weeks ago and now I can no longer listen to Sirius at home.  I just got off the phone with their horrendus tech support and I can't find anything on the internet.  Would love to see a fix!  I do not use UAC so that's not the issue for me.
    Monday, August 06, 2007 9:46 PM
  •  

Anyone help on this?
    Tuesday, August 07, 2007 3:54 AM
  • My WMP stop to work (after install KMPlayer, I think) and I try start in 'run as administrator' and work, but don't start
    automatic with the links (*.mp3, for example).
    I can't uninstall or reinstall it and I try to reinstall it with 'WMP 11 for XP' and I can't because the system don't accept this...
    But I follow the tip from this friend and work all!
    Need the MS make a fix for this fast, no?

Thanks for help us!

[]s
    Themeron
    Tuesday, August 07, 2007 2:30 PM
  • Just to be clear, we are talking about two different issues here.  The issue you mention is not the same as the original poster and my issue.
    Tuesday, August 07, 2007 7:07 PM
  • I have the exact same problem. Just few weeks ago WMP11 just stopped working properly and it does not open any online content. Also only the butn options are availaible for edit. I tried to trace the issue back to an update but I was unlucky as there have been no WMP11 recent updates installed. I also tried Micrtosoft's Support but, of course, unsuccessful. Please advise what we should do next since it seems that the issue has spread out and Microsoft does not want to listen about it. Heck they don't even read the forums they created for that purpose. Is there anybody in the forum who can contact a Microsoft employee based in the US as opposed to Indian an Pakistan. I am tired of spending half of my time on the supports line just figuring out what the person on the other side is trying to say.

Best Regards,

Minko Kissiov
    Wednesday, August 08, 2007 2:15 AM
  • Microsoft just please let us download the version of WMP that you have imbedded into vista as I do not want to install the whole OS again after it has taken me 3 days to get every thing right and after installing for the forth time now this stops works after just over a week I can not play any music on it, it does not recognise the codec’s it needs 2 play .mp3 or .wma. Why don’t you just let us download the WMP you have imbedded as it would make it such a quicker and easier fix.

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 11:24 PM
  • YES!
    It did work for me. i am still pissed @ Microsoft for not allowing a reinstall that just resets everything... (for windows media player). they really need to better things... or i will move to the apple camp. all my friends try and talk me into getting a mac. and i try and find a reason to stay with pc and windows... but the reasons get less almost day by day...
    well- thanks for that user account control suggestion.... turning that off fixed my media player problems and also made these admin request pop ups stop. PRAISE GOD!
    thanks.
    Friday, August 10, 2007 10:01 PM
  • There is no way possible to reinstall Windows Media Player being that it is part of the actual Vista program.

The issue I was experiencing was not being able to play audio or video files (via audio/video streaming).  In other words, I would have to download the file to my hard drive prior to Playing the files within Windows Media Player. 

I was able to resolve the issue on last night by basically clicking Start -> Default Programs -> Set Default Programs -> Windows Media Player -> Set this program as default and clicking OK.  Afterwards, I was able to go to http://www.churchofgodincolumbusga.com/media2.html and play the audio files immediately after clicking on the desired title. 

Saturday, August 11, 2007 10:26 PM
  • OK I tried all suggestions and my Windows Media Player still does not play Audio and Video Streaming over the internet. ALso when I open Media Player and go to Options only the Burning Options show up. I am assuming there is a registry entry which is corrupt and it just does not work. I cannot guess which one it is and I don't have time to check them all. I tried disabling UAC and also setting WMA as default player. Nothing fixed my issue. To the guy claiming that since WMA 11 is prepackaged in Vista and Microsoft cannot release an install because of it this is total bull. Please Micro$$oft provide us with a WMA installer for Vista so that I can fix my issue. PLEASE

Bet Regards,

Minko Kissiov

Sunday, August 12, 2007 6:46 PM
  • I found a fix to the sirius streaming issue.  It may fix other's issues as well:

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/68398-windowsn-media-player-always-ready.html

Monday, August 13, 2007 10:30 PM
  • Thank you very much for your suggestion! I was losing my mind trying to fix the problem with the media player that suddendly stopped opening in a normal mode. Couldn't listen to my usual radio over the internet and many programs just failed to open even as administrator... The internet explorer was also all screwed up, but now is working just fine! Still have many more problems to solve with my windows vista (don't even want to go there) but there are minus a few now Smile Thank's again
    Tuesday, August 14, 2007 6:15 PM
  • Thanks for your suggestions but it still did not correct the issues I am having with my Media player. I only get the Burn options from within the player's tools -> options menu and I also cannot stream any data. I am in still desperate need for help. Please give any suggestions. Thanks

Minko Kissiob
    Tuesday, August 14, 2007 10:31 PM
  • "Thanks for your suggestions but it still did not correct the issues I am having with my Media player. I only get the Burn options from within the player's tools -> options menu and I also cannot stream any data. I am in still desperate need for help. Please give any suggestions. Thanks

Minko Kissiob"

I have the exact same issue and have been looking for a solution for what seems like 2 months. Microsoft says to use the latest media player for xp to reinstall but when i try i get a message  that the version i have is newer and then  the installation stops.

I am going to have to waste umpteen hours of my life reinstalling vista all over again?

Can I reitall Vista completey over my current install and retain my settings etc? Or, will it set me back to square one?

HELP!
    Tuesday, August 14, 2007 10:37 PM
  • If you install vista completley over your current one you will lose everything including all your documents and your settings.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 10:22 AM
  • System restore fixes the windows media player issue in Vista unless the issue was caused by spware. This issue can be reolved by uninstalling the latest updates and the codecs.

More over you said it is working fine if you login to the computer as a guest, Boot the computer in safe mode.

Create a new user profile. Delete the old user profile. Restart the computer.

Login to the new user account and this should fix the issue if already you found no issues while loging in as Guest. 

Monday, August 27, 2007 2:13 AM
  • Thank you for your suggestions but it will not work for me. I cannot restore my system since I will loose vaulable data and creating a new account does not work as WMP11 was installed under the admin account and therefore applies to any user. Since I believe that there are WMP11 files corrupted and not user account specific WMP11 files creating a new user will not fix the issue. The only fix will be either a complete Vista reinstallation (which is out of the question for me right now) or reinstallation of the WMP11 program. The only thing I need is either a utility which will restore WMP11 to its original version of an installation file which will uninstalla and reinstall WMP11 in vista. Why is not Microsoft providing it is my only question since it is already available for XP (of course the installation is not compatible with Vista Computers). PLEASE one more time (and I am not alone here since many people are having the issue) PROVIDE US WITH A REPAIR TOOL (STRICTLY FOR WMP11) OR PROVIDE US WITH THE PACKAGED INSTALLATION FILES WMP11 for VISTA.

Best Regards,

Minko Kissiov 

Monday, August 27, 2007 3:11 AM
  • So this post is here now for 2 months, obviously there's a lot of people having a problem with it, ppl that paid 100 to 400€ for a good working OS and what they get is a unfinished system (slow file copying, network problems while playing media files...) and a media player that you can't repair without reinstalling the whole system. Would it be asked too much of m$ to at least try to answer and help the people here?
    Monday, August 27, 2007 3:35 AM
  • Hey Everybody I found a solution for my issue at 5 AM in the morning Smile

Go to Start - > Type Run in the Search Box - > type regsvr32 wmp.dll

This fixed my issue I have been having for a long time. Please let me know if that helps anybody fix their corrupted WMP11 in Vista.

Best Regards,

Minko Kissiov
    Thursday, August 30, 2007 9:08 AM
  • IT WORKS! thanks so much!

Thursday, August 30, 2007 1:50 PM
  • I found some good advice on this page:

http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#wmp11

Hope someone finds it useful too!

Friday, August 31, 2007 11:52 AM
  •  

Great advice WORKS!!!! Thanks saved me a lot of work
    Monday, September 03, 2007 5:25 AM
  •  

Wow.

I can now use WMP 11

I haven't been able to use WMP 11 for quite a while but Minkokiss found the solution. The"regsvr32 wmp.dll" works.

Everyone first try Minkokiss's trick and see if it works for you.

Thanks Minkokiss!

Tuesday, September 04, 2007 8:41 PM
  • DUDE!!! IT WORKED!!!! IT FREAKING WORKED!!!! After trying dozens of solutions this one finally worked!!!! YOU ARE MY HEROOOOO

Thanks so much Minkokiss!
    Tuesday, September 04, 2007 10:20 PM
  • No problem everybody. I am glad I could help. The issue was bugging me for months and I resolved it by trying many many things as most of you have. I do no want to take all the credit as I found this solution on another forum so I decided to voice it. I am glad I could help and hope that everybody is experiencing the WOW!! Wink (Think of Vista commercials if you have no idea what I mean)

Best Regards,

Minko Kissiov

Tuesday, September 04, 2007 10:27 PM
  • Thanks for this one minko, had this problem for months, now fixed, you beauty.
    Wednesday, September 05, 2007 12:10 AM
  • Minkokiss,

I don't know what forum you found this on, but you relieved alot of  headaches and fustrations all of us had. Thank you VERY MUCH! It worked perfectly for me!

JEERS to Microsoft for not coming to our rescue. This is inexcuseable!!!!! I had to do a system restore and lost some things and that didn't fixed WMP.

Mincokiss is a hero!!!!!

Microsoft should post this fix upfront on WMP main page!

Thanks again Mincokiss!!!!!!

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 1:26 AM
  • Ughh....Still doesnt work for me....  I'm going to start unistalling programs, audio drivers, etc.... and see what happens..

Saturday, September 08, 2007 12:51 AM
  • Try going to the command prompt and running SFC /SCANFILE.

You will need your Vista install CD in the drive for the program to find the replacement files.

This will replace any system files that are missing or corrupted.

My WMP11 would not display any video. Played audio fine, but if you tried to display the WOW effects or Equalizer, all you got was a black screen. This fixed the problem. Takes awhile though.

Saturday, September 08, 2007 3:28 PM
  • Here is how I did it using Minkokisss' method.

Click on the Start Button

go to All Programs

click Accessories folder

right click the Command Prompt

Click "Run As Administrator"

click "Continue" on User Account Control window

Command Prompt will open

hopefully it says c:\windows\system32>

type regsur32 wmp.dll or (copy paste)

wait a few seconds

Hopefully a window appears saying it was sucessful.

click ok

then close Command Prompt window

There ya go!

Hope this resolves the problems.

Saturday, September 08, 2007 6:22 PM

• Hi all,

May I suggest that it's time to migrate to www.ubuntu.com. I did years ago and will never ever go back to windows or even worse Mac.
    Sunday, September 09, 2007 3:41 PM
  • Sod off digipapers whats your problem with vista yer it got errors and stuff but it a new OS and 10 times better than linux I have linux on my other machine and find vista a lot easier to work with even with the errors so if you have not got any useful comments sod off and well done minikokis shame you dint find it fast enough for me I got bored with out music so reinstalled 8( but if it happens again I know what to do thanks.

Sunday, September 09, 2007 10:19 PM
  • The solution didn't work for me, but when I created a new Account User, radio files played fine again in WMP. I couldn't be bothered transferring all the settings etc to the new Account so simply reinstalled Vista (it's on a sony Vaio), and Media Player and radio files (through a Gadget) are working ok again. It is still hard to understand why WMP can't be reinstalled by itself.

Monday, September 10, 2007 11:44 AM
  • Dear Sirs,

I am writing to gain assistance to repair my Windows Media Player 11.I have just recently purchased a new sony vaio laptop and have found that after jus a few days the media player has refused to launch unless I launch it at the beginning while it loads. In addition, it refuses to add any new items to the library. Surely this cannot be what is intended. I am having a constant problem with my Windows Media Player 11 For Windows Vista. Microsoft has no online repair facility and I think seeing as this seems to be a frequent problem with the player as shown by the following link: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?p=3007333 something needs to be done.

I request your help

Thanks for your time

Per-Morten Hewitt

Now can some get me an email address to senf this to microsoft or help me out plz

Thursday, September 20, 2007 2:58 AM
  • OK so to summarize there are two methods which work:

1. Go to Start - > Type Run in the Search Box - > type regsvr32 wmp.dll
      1. For more information on what this command does refer to the following article:
      2. This method is quick and all it does is re-register a WMP11 component and it may or may not work for some people
    2. You will need your Vista install DVD in the drive for the program to find the replacement files. Go to to the command prompt (when you boot from the DVD) and run SFC /SCANFILE.
      1. For more information on what this command does refer to the following article:
      2. This method takes a while (between 20-30 minutes or less depending on the number of files you have on your computer) but is a lot more thorough and will most probably fix most of the issues you are having with WMP11 as it not only re-registers the components but it also replaces any corrupt ones with files from your VISTA INSTALL DVD.

I hope you will find this summary useful

Best Regards,

Minko Kissiov

• Proposed as answer by Hinze57 Monday, August 10, 2009 8:34 PM
    Thursday, September 20, 2007 3:26 AM
  • another user with the same problem here.... i can hrear the audio but no video when streaming. cant see video when using MP11 either. this is sooooo freaking rediculous that people who paid a fortune for a crappy OS have to put up with problems like this it is insane!!!

i have got imacs too, and i have never, ever, had BS problems with osx! the invention of the registry in windows is the work of the devil, i say. in osx just delete something and repalce it, 99.9% of the time this solves any problem.
    Saturday, October 06, 2007 1:15 PM

Don't know if everyone missed this post by me but this has fixed the issue for two people now.  I saw someone earlier say they fixed it by creating a new profile.  I bet just doing this would have fixed it too.
    Tuesday, October 09, 2007 1:19 PM
  •  John Cobb wrote:

Here is how I did it using Minkokisss' method.

go to All Programs

click Accessories folder

Command Prompt will open

wait a few seconds

click ok

There ya go!

I am attempting to help a friend who is not very computer savy. I do not have Vista (thank God), and so I am not familiar with it. My friend has this exact problem, and  we attempted this fix.  Here is my question:   When I type 

" regsur32wmp.dll, should I delete the  " c:\\windows\system32>", or type it in directly after it appears?   I tried the fix today, typing it directly after, and got this response:    "c:\windows\system32>regsur32wmp.dll" is not a recognized internal or external command ...     Its become personal now. Any ideas?   This is a great thread, and I appreciate responses. 

Thursday, October 11, 2007 2:16 AM
  • Hello!

I've got the same problem as described up here. When I type regsur32 wmp.dll computer return me "regsur32 is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file".

I am using Sony VAIO, and Windows Vista BUSINESS, WMP 11.

If anyone has any good advice I'll be very thankful.

Regards, Ales

Thursday, October 11, 2007 5:57 PM
  • That should be: regsvr32 wmp.dll

Thursday, October 11, 2007 6:09 PM
  • Thanks. I'll try itt again, correct spelling this time.  .

Friday, October 12, 2007 4:26 AM
  • SOLUTION!
    Same problem.  No Media Player in Vista.  But here is how I got it to work:
    "Control Panel", choose "User Accounts", choose "Turn User Account Control On or Off" and turn it OFF! (uncheck it).
    Media Player came back into the realm of the working after I did this. 
    Obviously there is a glitch in Vista here, and Microsoft doesn't know about it.  It may not work for everyone, but it worked for me.  Good Luck!
    Torrro 

• Proposed as answer by skipperoz Wednesday, January 18, 2012 4:56 AM
    Saturday, October 20, 2007 2:01 PM
  •  

When I first got my computer, of course Windows Media Player came with no Codecs, and I ended up downloading some really junky ones, which I finally decided to take off a few days ago, they were slowing videos down, speeding them up, etc.  Anyway, I've removed them, and replaced them with I think two from wmplugins.com, my only problem is that WMV files that had their own icon, are just showing that funny white icon with a screen inside it, the one that shows when a programme hasn't been associated with another.  I want to reinstall Windows Media Player, but I can't find a way to, when I do that run install option posted a few posts back, I get the error message "0x8002801c".  Is there a way to reinstall Windows Media Player, and not download the older version online, a way to trigger it, etc?  Thanks guys.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 4:47 PM
  • I got it to work.

All I did was download this and run it

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/thankyou.aspx?familyId=50dff28b-8e0e-4b15-99a1-0d7b9ff3b795&displayLang=en

It's a WMP update for vista.
    Wednesday, October 31, 2007 11:39 PM
  • I have Vista Home Premium.

When run, this update stated it didn't apply to my system!

Oh well, I'll keep looking for a solution!

Scarbs

Monday, November 19, 2007 8:43 PM
  • You rule bro!

Thx

Friday, November 30, 2007 10:03 PM
  • Hello,

i had the same Problem. I have looked around in my Windows account and noticed the account control.
    If you switch it off you have to restart your computer. After i have done that my wmp worked again without any
    Problems.

I don't know if it will work on your computers but i think so.

Sorry if there are some wrong spelled words, im not english.
    Monday, December 10, 2007 5:46 PM
  • I got the same problem with WMP11

It wont play some kind of media files, so i searched the forum for answers (nothing...)
    So i tried to uninstall or reïnstall, no succes there...

The website is telling me to uninstall the Windows Media Player 11 update's. But i cant find them within my update tab in "remove programs".

... Why didn't microsoft just make an "uninstall" application? What's up with that???

... grmbl...
    Tuesday, December 25, 2007 12:12 AM
  • WOW! Thanks so much. I've been fighting with this since September 2007. I just wanted to add that when you type in the prompt I had to put a space between 32 and wmp. Thanks again!

Thursday, December 27, 2007 3:20 PM
  • I know this isn't the right place for this question, but...

I am trying to do this as well.  Is this "allowed" when renting audiobooks?  Or have you purchased them?

>> The only reason I need Windows Media Player is to transfer  DRM audio-books onto my Zen,
    Monday, December 31, 2007 8:00 PM
  • I have business Vista and have the same reported error - already have a later version cannot install this earlier version -> the install closes down. I have installed SP1 RC1 beta and it removed the short cut to media player 11 and I can't locate this later version.

I t lokks like 12months plus the problem remains. I have many concerns about how well these things are retried. I need a repair option for my present version.

Saturday, January 26, 2008 1:33 PM
  • Hi Minko,

I experience the same problem as snoopy when I try to play a video file with WMP 11. The sound is fine, but there is no visual like WMP is playing a music file. I even have trouble creating a movie DVD using Vista or WMP DVD Maker software. How do I solve this? Is your given solution applicable?

Thanks.
    QMan

Friday, February 01, 2008 1:22 PM
  • QMan,

I was experiencing the same issue and after applying the commands I had mentioned earlier in the thread I got it resolved. However there may be multiple reasons whyc the issue occurs in which case running a single command may not resolve it. You should try running the proposed commands and then restart the computer. Let me know if that works.

Best Regards,

Minko Kissiov

Friday, February 01, 2008 4:58 PM
  •  minkokiss wrote:

QMan,

I was experiencing the same issue and after applying the commands I had mentioned earlier in the thread I got it resolved. However there may be multiple reasons whyc the issue occurs in which case running a single command may not resolve it. You should try running the proposed commands and then restart the computer. Let me know if that works.

Best Regards,

Minko Kissiov

Hey Minko, I 've tried all the ways posted and it worked on some PC's I worked on, but a for sure fix is a reg file to install. Double click, allow it and troubles are over. Some one else posted the site to get it, but I guess he didn't know where to click. I post the site in a minute and find the person that shown the site and give him the rights for the find. Well for being on the right track.  Cheers
    Friday, February 01, 2008 5:30 PM
  •  Frank Grimes wrote:
     minkokiss wrote:

QMan,

Best Regards,

Minko Kissiov

Hey Minko, I 've tried all the ways posted and it worked on some PC's I worked on, but a for sure fix is a reg file to install. Double click, allow it and troubles are over. Some one else posted the site to get it, but I guess he didn't know where to click. I post the site in a minute and find the person that shown the site and give him the rights for the find. Well for being on the right track.  Cheers

http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#wmp11  Heres what your looking for people on this site.( To fix this for Windows Vista: Use this to fix your system up - ONLY RUN THIS ON VISTA 32BIT SYSTEMS ) Thank Pauli Sarkia for being on the right track. Smile

Friday, February 01, 2008 5:41 PM
  • TRY THIS:

goto  C:\Windows\System32\ and find the cmd.exe right click on it and run as Administrator and type in the window this command    sfc /scannow  This worked for me!!!

Monday, February 04, 2008 6:57 AM
  •  

TRY THIS:

goto  C:\Windows\System32\ and find the cmd.exe right click on it and run as Administrator and type in the window this command    sfc /scannow  This worked for me!!!

Monday, February 04, 2008 6:58 AM
  •  

TRY THIS:

goto  C:\Windows\System32\ and find the cmd.exe right click on it and run as Administrator and type in the window this command    sfc /scannow  This did it for me!!!

Monday, February 04, 2008 6:59 AM
  •  

PLEASE TRY THIS:

Monday, February 04, 2008 7:00 AM
  • I too have this problem.

can you tell me what is the solution?

Please reply me......

Monday, February 11, 2008 9:04 PM
  • Boy, did you ever get that SIrius Tech Support right!!!!!  He logged on using my logon and password, on his computer and then had the ______  to tell me that it was working fine!!!!!  What an idiot!!!!!!!!!   They need to get some Tech support from the states or someplace civilized!!!!

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 9:40 PM
  • Reinstalling Windows Media Player in Vista is not possible. However, obviously you have a program association problem which stemmed from installing 3rd party players and uninstalling 3rd party players without properly reinstating the program association. Therefore your Internet Explorer will not be able to access WMP when needed. Try the following solution:

Start Menu > Default Programs > Set Program Access and Computer Defaults

Most likely the Custom button is highlighted, go in to the drop down menu by pressing the down arrow on the right.

Choose a default media player, in this case select Windows Media Player, and ensure Enable Access To This Program is checked. Press OK to complete.

Now enter a website that requires WMP, you will notice that the IE will ask to download Active X for WMP. Allow the download and installation, then everything should be back to normal.

If you find this helpful, give me full marks!

Saturday, February 16, 2008 7:40 AM
  • Could you explain how and where I go to turn off the user account control.I am a computer novice and my WMP has stopped playing Videos.Audio is fine but Video playback no longer works.Thanks for your time.

Monday, February 18, 2008 10:57 PM
  • THANK YOU MATT!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    THANK YOU
    THANK YOU
    THANK YOU
    THANK YOU
    THANK YOU
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been trying to fix the streaming radio (XM) for 3 months now with no luck.  Your solution of deleting the %userprofile%\appdata\local\Microshaft\Windows Media folder actually worked!!!
    YAAAY!!!!!

Tell the world!!!

Thanks.
    Sunday, February 24, 2008 7:02 PM
  • That worked

Thank you, much appreciated.

Monday, March 03, 2008 2:20 PM
  • Ok, I eventually got this dreaded curse of losing my WMP in Vista. I tried all of the solutions here, turned off user account, downloaded various patches, tried registering the .dll, etc etc etc. Nothing worked. Then I talked to a buddy of mine who is an MIS/networking administrator for a bank chain. I always check forums and try to find a fix myself before bothering him but hey free professional help from someone who clearly speaks the English language is free professional help from someone who speaks the English language! He said that under Vista several things were crashing and causing errors, including this WMP disappearance and that was essential for net meetings, etc. and having to go to a backup OS while trying to fix these problems was being a headache to not only him but the bank paying his overtime to sort it out. So he was tasked with finding a permanent solution to these problems and here it is. And it doesn't involve a reformat of Vista. Very simple really, you just have to prepare yourself for the reality of it:

1. Backup ANY essential files that you don't want to risk losing.

2. Take your Vista OS CD. Insert it in a crosscut shredder. Also shred any Vista documentation.

3. Reboot with your XP disc, go through format, setup, installation, etc.

And there you go! A fairly problem free OS, without all this OS integration. Of course you lose some of the eye candy of Vista (big whip!) and a security system so secure that the even administrator has to go through several screens and checks for making access but what you gain are individual programs that can be re-installed or repaired, and a significant boost in system performance. I tried it and I haven't had my WMP quit working on me yet.

I hope this helps.

Friday, March 14, 2008 5:21 PM
  • Oh MY!!!! i just registered to say THANK YOU!!!

Minkokiss´ solution worked for me, but doing it through John Cobb adaptation....

WOW... really, i've been cracking up my head for months...what a pain it was!!

Saturday, March 15, 2008 11:31 PM
  •  International Klein Blue wrote:

Windows Media Player is not installed properly. Reinstall the Player.

Disable the User Account Control feature

Allowed me to used Windows Media Player Rip and even Burn my CD

Excellent- Brilliant- Astute- intelligent brain judgment dude…

Thursday, March 20, 2008 6:00 PM
  •  

you are the f**in man, my instant viewing on netflix would not work untill i did this, thanks cheers to you, microsoft should hire you
    Saturday, March 29, 2008 6:26 AM
  • I did the:

and it WORKED!

I have been trying to fiqure out why my videos were playing fine in everything else except WMP.  For a week I have been looking for an answer. 

THANKS A TON.

Saturday, March 29, 2008 11:37 AM
  • Hey, thanks for pointing out the simple mistake made in previous messages.  I've been waiting months for a fix and now it works.....  Once again, many thanks all those that have posted to resolve WMP11 issue.

Saturday, March 29, 2008 7:37 PM
  • I am having the same issue media player crashes on launch! and I cant find a reinstall anywhere!

Sunday, April 13, 2008 7:49 PM
  • Do any of you with the WMP problem have Windowblinds running?  They don't play together well.  I unload Windowblinds and WMP works.  Go figure.
    Saturday, April 19, 2008 8:34 PM
  •  Terrence W wrote:

There is no way possible to reinstall Windows Media Player being that it is part of the actual Vista program.

This was the suggestion that worked for me....and I have been through a few.  Thanks Terrence W.

Friday, April 25, 2008 3:15 AM
  • This worked for me too!

Before you try anything else, try this too:

Start -> Default Programs -> Set Default Programs -> Windows Media Player -> Set this program as default.

Click OK

Why should Microsoft insist that WMP must be the default???

Saturday, April 26, 2008 3:38 PM
  • So far this is the only rational solution for all of my windows vista problems.

I am seriously considering to go back to xp, it was way easier and all of the software I bought worked properly.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Sunday, April 27, 2008 12:07 AM
  • Well, I seem to have a totally differentproblem from everyone else. When I try to run WMP11, all I get is the whirly wheel momentarily and then nothing. I read through this thread and found the suggestion to turn off UAC. So I went in to turn it off and found it was already off. So I turned it back on and tried again. This time I got the message and when I clicked OK, I got the whirly wheel again then nothing. But when I tried to run it asAdministrator, it worked! Trly bizarre. By the way, Napster now tells me I have the wrong version of WMP and refuses to work... I am in despair with this thing. I think I'mgoing to have to reinstall fromscratch. And of course since Vista came preloaded I only have a recovery CD which will format the hard drive.

Does anyone from Microsoft actually read this forum? Is there an answer?
    Monday, April 28, 2008 9:34 PM
  • Try this:

1. run cmd.exe as adminitrator

2. type: regsvr32 wmp.dll

3.enjoy!

Cheers

Thursday, May 01, 2008 1:57 PM
  • Hi guys,

It seems that there's an installation file in %programfiles%\Windows Media Player\setup_wm.exe. So you can be able to use this to reinstall your WMP11. However, this solution works only if you didn't apply any updates to WMP11.

Fortunately, I think I found an alternation:

1. Open your command prompt with Administrator rights

2. Type following command:

Code Snippet
    for %a in (%systemroot%\system32\wm*.dll) do regsvr32 /s %a

Hope this help!

Saturday, May 10, 2008 9:31 AM
  • Hi "CMatisse"

I am actually using Windows XP Professional (SP2) rather than Vista, but I'm also having problems transferring my library books from my laptop to my Zen V Plus.  It was working great for several months, and then I made the mistake a couple weeks ago, of forgetting to obtain the digital rights to a book I downloaded before attempting to transfer it to my Zen.  I realized my mistake as soon as I started the transfer and clicked the "Cancel" button but ever since, I have been unable to transfer either that book (once I obtained the rights from the library) or any other book from the library.  I have gone through all of the recovery options on the Zen, and I can transfer my music files without any problem, but I can't transfer any audiobook files from my library.

I was wondering if you resolved your problem and/or if you have any other resources on the Internet for solving issues with Zen players and borrowed audiobooks (Netlibrary in my case).  I tried going through Creative Support but after having me go through the options available in Recovery Mode, they asked me to send the player in.  I'm hesitant to do that, except as a last resort, since I think the problem is really with the DRM rights in Windows Media Player 11, and I have also heard that Support charges a fee for troubleshooting problems, even when the player is still under the 1 year warranty.

I have googled everything I can think of to try and find answers to this problem over the past 2 weeks but no luck.  I also think that if I could somehow delete and restore the firmware on my Zen, I could solve the problem, since the same thing happened to me when I first got the player (and didn't know I had to obtain the digital rights for an audiobook before transferring it to the player).  However, since my player was shipped with an old version of the firmware, I ran the Recovery Tool and it upgraded the firmware, and then I was able to start transferring audiobooks.  But this time, I am already at the latest version of the firmware so running the Recovery Tool doesn't do anything, nor does selecting the "Reload firmware" option from Recovery Mode on the player.

Basically, I think I either need to reset the DRM rights in WMP 11 or else completely reinstall the firmware on the player or else the player thinks I don't have the rights to any audiobook I download from the library.  I just don't know how to do either of those things and haven't found anyone yet on the internet who has hit the same problem and described a solution.

Thanks in advance if you have an answer, and good luck with your issue if it still isn't resolved.

Eric

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 5:40 PM
  • it worked great thanks so much for the late hours u put in

Thursday, May 15, 2008 4:09 AM
  • I was having the Sirius "Ready" bug problem and none of the above worked. 

Open Media Player...go to: tools....options.....network.

There was nothing in my streaming proxy settings and could not configure from that window.

This fixed it:

1. Open a command prompt
    2. Type regsvr32 wmnetmgr.dll
    3. Hit Enter then click OK.

Now streaming proxy settings shows:

HTTP------>Browser

RTSP------>None

Best of all....I have my Sirius back.

Thursday, May 15, 2008 8:08 PM
  •  

Hadoyle,

You are my hero, it worked under the admin role.

Thanks

Saturday, May 17, 2008 7:29 PM
  •  

This worked great for me except for you must type in regsvr32 wmp.dll ....... not regsur32 wmp.dll.  I have had a problem playing links from the internet after trying to use vlc media player.  I uninstalled vlc and immediatly had problems with Windows Media Player 11 in vista.  I made sure that WMP 11 was the default for all file types but still had no luck.    Following the steps above was the only thing that fixed my problem.  Thanks,  I was getting pissed.  I have no problem with microsoft bundling stuff as long as it is easy to fix.  Boo to Microsoft for not supplying an answer to this earlier.
    Monday, May 26, 2008 5:55 AM
  • It worked..!! finally.. thank you.. what a big relief....

Monday, May 26, 2008 1:53 PM
  •  

Had the same problem. Couldn't open any multimedia content from FireFox or IE, just crashes IE and FF. Uninstalled Morgan stream switcher and now multimedia content opens from within FireFox an IE. Vista is becomming reaaaaallllyyy buggy and irritating as time goes on.

Saturday, June 07, 2008 2:05 PM
  •  

ok so i was getting an error about media sharing not responding, so i finally managed t turn it off after 2 days of messing about with it, wmp wouldnt run at all, and still wont... im getting this error message

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: wmplayer.exe

Application Version: 11.0.6001.7000

Application Timestamp: 47919356

Fault Module Name: Indiv01.key

Fault Module Version: 11.0.6000.6324

Fault Module Timestamp: 47e4011c

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00105c7a

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information 1: e2fe

Additional Information 2: e81a7329b40a7e78a6cd3990b54799a5

Additional Information 3: d4ef

Additional Information 4: e5d77e4018d0976c0cbf4a815ebed844

any help would be very appreciated

thanks, kiel.

Monday, June 09, 2008 7:25 PM
  • Dude you are a certified genius!!!!!No way would I have ever thought to do what you had done! I tried new downloads, thought I had viruses, nine of that worked! I looked at your thread, gave it a try and man, I don't care if you are male or female but I love you man! You deserve a Klondike Bar! King Size! 

Thursday, June 12, 2008 2:43 PM
  • there was a type o on this message as it should have be regsvr but it worked while minkokisss did not. So thanks as I have tried everything else. I also do not think the Attorney General should allow Microsoft to make the computer manufaturers fix its vista operating system, I think they should have to do it themselves. I got no help from Microsoft, big surprise.

Friday, June 13, 2008 3:40 AM
  •  minkokiss wrote:
    Hey Everybody I found a solution for my issue at 5 AM in the morning

This fixed my issue I have been having for a long time. Please let me know if that helps anybody fix their corrupted WMP11 in Vista.

Best Regards,

Minko Kissiov

FANTASTIC - Worked for me. Have lost my shares, but think all should be good now. Thanks

Saturday, June 14, 2008 4:39 AM
  •  

"Fault Module Name: Indiv01.key"

Liek, OMG, me too!  Except I'm using Win XP. How do I get this to stop doing this?  WMP 11 will play non-DRM songs just fine.  But if it's something I purchased and has "protection," it crashes. Every. Single. Time.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 4:19 AM
  • I am receiving the same error only  mine started doing so after I upgraded my processor. What I have found out so far alludes to the fact that you have changed your system in a way that you must now purchase a new Vista License.  I have not been able to find anything reliable in reference to that error so far.
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 10:29 PM
  •    

I also experienced the problem of Sirius internet radio suddenly not working with Vista . No idea what caused this to occur as it had worked perfectly for a long time. 

Tried all the fixes posted here, the one that actually worked for me was disabling UAC. As much as this feature is annoying to me I did not want to leave it disabled so I re-enabled it. Then I figured since the online radio worked without UAC why not try opening the IE browser as administrator. Well wouldn’t you know this simple solution worked, I now can listen to Sirius online again!

For those who may not be familiar with running a program as administrator all you need to do is right click on the IE browser icon and click on "Run as administrator".    

Hopefully some of you experiencing this problem will have success with this simple fix.

• Proposed as answer by davdavfav Friday, January 29, 2010 1:48 AM
    Friday, June 20, 2008 4:29 PM
  •  

goto  C:\Windows\System32\ and find the cmd.exe right click on it and run as Administrator and type in the window this command    sfc /scannow

This worked for me!!!

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 6:17 AM
  •  

goto  C:\Windows\System32\ and find the cmd.exe right click on it and run as Administrator and then type this command    sfc /scannow 

This worked for me!!!

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 6:22 AM
  • I followed the advice of runniing xplore as the admistrator and media player worked for the live webcast.

Friday, June 27, 2008 12:31 AM
  • I tried to find the installer for WMP 11 for Vista, but I couldn't find it in the WMP 11 Vista home page. Please provide a WMP 11 installer for Vista so I can solve this "Ready" problem that I have with streaming live media. Thanks. 

Saturday, June 28, 2008 9:45 PM
  •  

DO THIS:

goto  C:\Windows\System32\ and find the cmd.exe right click on it and run as Administrator and type in the window this command    sfc /scannow  This worked for me!!! Try running it in Admin mode too. . Right click the pick run as admin...

Mohel J Castorena
    Wednesday, July 02, 2008 9:38 PM
  • THIS IS VERY HELPFUL AND IT ACTUALLY WORKS, THANKS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH YOU HAVE SAVE ME HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OTHERS SHOULD USE THIS TO GET IT WORKING.

Tuesday, July 08, 2008 7:06 PM
  • i found out today that by running it as administrator you can get in like the instructions say. but to take that one step further, if you right click the windows media player shortcut, select properties, go to the security tab, highlight the account with wich you are logged in, click on advanced, select the account again on the advanced window, click edit, and clear the checkmark for include inheritable permissions, select copy, and you should be back in business. thanks rusty

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 2:59 PM
  • The error is with the downloading of the codecs, which may be because of the Adobe Shockwave Player 11 installation. How do I proceed with this problem?

Saturday, July 12, 2008 2:55 AM
  • please re intal

Sunday, July 13, 2008 4:02 PM
  • ok thean

Sunday, July 13, 2008 4:04 PM
  •  

Also try running it in admin mode

find the WMP icon right click and choose Rum as Admin...

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 12:36 AM
  • g o t o 

C:\Windows\System32\  a n d  f i n d  t h e  cmd.exe  r i g h t  c l i c k  o n  i t  a n d  r u n  a s  A d m i n i s t r a t o r  a n d   t h e n  t y p e  t h i s  c o m m a n d    sfc /scannow 

This worked for me!!!

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 1:52 AM
  •  

go to 

C:\Windows\System32\  &  find   t h e

cmd.exe 

right  c l i c k  o n  i t  and  r u n  as  Administrator  a n d   then  t y p e  t h i s  c o m m a n d    sfc /scannow 

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 1:54 AM
  • I had the same problem untilI found this posting on a forum, I did it and my wmp is working again...

Go to start. Open the run windows, there type: regsvr32 scrrun.dll. Thne do the same for:
    regsvr32 jscript.dll
    regsvr32 msxml3.dll

(I have W/Vista so I went to start first,right click on it,then properties and changed it to clasic start menu  so I could get the "Run" option, when I was finished I changed it back...)
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 8:20 AM
  • was it even neccesary to mention they're indian???? Do you have a problem with them as well as windows?

Monday, July 28, 2008 7:40 PM
  • Note that DllRegisterServer entry points for Windows Media binaries are not expected to be used on Windows Vista.  Thus if you run "regsvr32 wmp.dll" on Windows Vista you will write XP-only registry entries to your registry and break things such as progressive download of media files.  This KB, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947541  , has a better "reregister wmp.dll" method, but it's still *not* something you should do unless you absolutely need to.

(Note that the KB is written against a scenario where WMP would crash every time you ran it.  Registering the XP wmp.dll RGS on Vista should be an emergency-only plan.)

Thursday, August 07, 2008 2:14 AM
  •  

I have been fighting with this for weeks and tried everything - my XP computers, my Vista computers -- firewalls on and  firewalls off - regedit adjustments -- run dll files --  uninstalled and reinstalled - system restore etc etc -- and I've searched every forum I can find (and there are lots and lots of them that are dealing with this topic) --- I noticed that this thread has had almost 90,000 views  with a grand total of three helpful posts - many other forums also claim to have found solutions and for some those solutions appear to have worked but I am guessing that there are a number of issues at play here such that a given solution is not universal. Some poor saps have ponied up $$ for direct support from Microsoft to no avail. 

It's not that I mind beta testing for Microsoft but it would be real nice if someone there would have the common decency to at least acknowledge that this is a genuine problem that is yet to be resolved and communicate that they are working to find a solution to WMP 10 and WMP 11 not being able to reliably play streaming video whether it is embedded as it is for CNBC and other subscription services or free standing. 

My name says it all... as does the latest sales data for Macs  --  AND no it is NOT ANSWERED

Thursday, August 07, 2008 9:27 PM
  •  

I don't know at what point we stopped trying to analyze problems logically and just threw up our hands and became a technology cargo cult (in this case worshipping the mythical reinstall fix-all curative), but I think tacking on your unrelated networking problem here is sadly amusing as the thread further becaomes a goulash of all sorts of unrelated issues.  I have no idea where you've attempted to get help for your issue.  If you attempted to get help from Microsoft using actual Product Support Services, that would enable them to figure out if there really was a bug that needed to be fixed.  If you're just trying do-it-yourself help online, I don't see how they would ever know about your problem... ?  Potentially http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940029 might be interesting to you, but you haven't provided enough details for even a pretty senior developer to guess at what you're trying to describe as your problem.  If you really want ~decent~ troubleshooting on your problem, try posting a meaningful description of the problem on the microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player peer-support-only newsgroup .  There's a couple people there, including one who worked on Windows Media Player, that help out users in their spare time, usually at least a day or two after somebody posts their question.
    Thursday, August 07, 2008 9:55 PM
  • i was unable to stream live olympic coverage in either web browsers wmp11 or firefox3 after disabling user account control (after running regsvr32 wmp.dll & others  in command prompt under administrative run) it is obviously the player web component for wmp
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 8:22 AM
  • Thursday, August 28, 2008 12:08 AM
  • Yes, I would go along with this.
    Once I installed a video editing suite WMP wouldn't work at first. I then checked the codecs and installed 'Real Alternative' (brilliant) it's working now - even if does does give me a 'Your device is using an outdated driver that is no longer supported' error!
    It seems the WMP team haven't quite got the budget or manpower to rectify and improve it often enough.
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 12:47 PM

• 1. Open a command prompt
    2. Type regsvr32 wmnetmgr.dll
    3. Hit Enter then click OK.

Now streaming proxy settings shows:

HTTP------>Browser

RTSP------>None

Best of all....I have my Sirius back.

WooHoooooo! I caught your problem with Sirius as I use XM. ( I hear that we will be brothers soon! :-) I tried your solution and a shaft of light descended and XM worked, (without a reboot I might add!) GeeeeEEEeezzz I tried every fix offered by the good people here and I DO mean GOOD people. Excellent suggestions and as you said: NO help from Sirius or on my end; XM. (Gee, I wonder if they use the same Indians??) Just kidding to all my Indian friends as you can't give out information that isn’t on the 'Card'. This was told to me by a friend that used to troubleshoot for Microsoft; crash a Bank's system with 'unauthorized' advice; lawsuit city. Almost everything is recorded these days, what a world we live in! Anyway, the guy that suggested the shredder for Visa Disk, :-))) that helped cool me off as I was laughing so hard; not at him or his post but whew! I was ready to do a search for that song, 'had a bad day'. Great song with video on utube except.... WMP had went south. Anyway, no more! THANKS again everyone! I suggest for all nubees like me to bookmark this forum!!! (It might save you the cost of a shredder. :-)

feyaya

feyayavanpri@yahoo.com
    Tuesday, September 02, 2008 12:53 AM
  • to torro (NOBULL),

this worked for me also.  now i can listen to howard again!  thank you so much.

Monday, September 08, 2008 9:28 PM
  • I have a simmilar problem.. WMP11 worked perfectly fine until yesterday. i opened it as usual to play some music but my music library was not there, it says no files found. So i go to "add media files" and the scan takes 3 seconds, finds 0 files, and that's it.  I entered the correct folder containing my music, and i went and manually played a few songs, but when i try to add them, wmp finds 0 media files on my PC... So i literally have to go to my music folder and select all my music files and add them to a playlist to play them, but they do not stay in my media player library... Obviously this is a real *** and utterly annoying...

CAN ANYONE HELP FIX THIS??? Microsoft? lookin at you! ;/

Friday, September 12, 2008 3:22 PM
  •  

Yes.. The problem is i already have to spend several hours just trying to talk to a REAL person, not an automated menu... and then after that, when the person comes on the phone and i have to say Excuse me, pardon,  what did you say, im sorry i didnt understand you, etc... like 20 times, just to figure out they are trying to say Hello and welcome to microsoft how may i help you, It makes me want to kill something... ALSO, foreign speaking people means the company has outsourced, which means they are not providing those jobs to people who need them HERE, in the country where Microsoft is located, thus our economy LOSES cash flow and everyone sufferes from unemployment, high taxes, poor quality services, and the headache of having to say what 100 times to get through a 2 hour tech support call tghat would only take 20 mins if they could freakin speak proper english!... so yes, i do hate non native english tech support workers...but no quite as much as i hate windows... I bought Windows in Canada, in english, its an english version, theyre an english corporation, THUS they SHOULD provide english tech support... now, im gonna go back to waiting on hold for an indian so i can say what, another 20 times...  and then im gonna go murder some small animals to release my rage.. maybe a few people.. unnecessary ones.... like bill gates perhaps... jk ;P
    Friday, September 12, 2008 4:04 PM
  •  

DO THIS: goto  C:\Windows\System32\ and find the cmd.exe right click on it and run as Administrator and type in the window this command    sfc /scannow  This worked for me!!! Try running it in Admin ...then right click on WMP pick run as Admin. Tada!
    Friday, September 12, 2008 10:36 PM
  • DO THIS: goto  C:\Windows\System32\ and find the cmd.exe right click on it and run as Administrator and type in the window this command    sfc /scannow  This worked for me!!! Try running it in Admin ...AFTER THAT  Rt Click on MEDIA PLAYER and chose to run it as ADMIN and your in like Flint!!!

Friday, September 12, 2008 10:38 PM
  •  

Sobaixu, that sounds like you want to use this KB:

* http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925718

Friday, September 12, 2008 10:41 PM
  • I am having problems with my Windows Media Player 11 on Windows Vista Home
    Premium. I can no longer play any form of sound file unless its directly from
    a CD or a .wav file. I only get a single popping sound as I try to load any
    WMA or MP3 file and it says "media changing" before it loads. But I can still
    play WMV files with sound and picture. I thought that a solution to this
    problem might be to reset the player, but there seems to be no way of doing
    that without a clean reinstall of Vista. Is there any other possible solution?

Saturday, September 20, 2008 1:14 PM
  • I'm having the same problem! WMP 11 & Vista Home Premium. I can't listen to streaming audio from a local radio station or XM online. I've had this problem at least 3 months...with no answer.  I've tried all of the prior suggeastions with no success.      Help..................

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 12:36 AM
  • Works perfectly!!!  Thanks so much!  I don't know if anybody from Microsoft forums actually reads these, but this post deserves a sticky so everybody can find this!  Nice job Minko!
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 3:43 PM
  • DO THIS:

Open Explorer and goto ---->  

C:\Windows\System32\

Then find the cmd.exe

right click on it and run as Administrator

Once opened type in the window this command

sfc /scannow 

Then find the shortcut icon for WMP

right click on it and run as Administrator.

This worked for me!!!

Thursday, September 25, 2008 6:44 AM
  •  

tryTHIS:

Open Explorer and goto ---->  

C:\Windows\System32\

Then find the cmd.exe

right click on it and run as Administrator

Once opened type in the window this command

sfc /scannow 

Then find the shortcut icon for WMP

right click on it and run as Administrator.

This worked for me!!!

Thursday, September 25, 2008 6:48 AM
  • Still no luck.......I haven't been able to figure this out......yet.
    Friday, September 26, 2008 1:03 PM
  • I cannot find anyway to fix my wmp it keeps saying that it was not installed right has anybody found a solution to this??

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 5:43 AM
  • The specific "The player is not installed properly and must be reinstalled" error message should refer precisely to a system integrity check failing.  Did you try the "sfc /scannow" check suggested above on this page?  That should likely fix this up.

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 6:59 AM
  • hi, i just tried option 2 (option 1 did fix my problem but only very briefly), however, i think it wants me to write not only "SFC /SCANFILE" but also the file i want to do this to. that's where i got lost. what is the file i type in?

my WMP problem seems a little different to these.

if i double click on a file assigned to WMP (e.g. an .avi movie or an .mp3 song) then WMP does indeed start playing that file. only the window doesn't open and is nowhere to be found!! for example, if i start playing a movie, i can hear it, but where is WMP11?? if i then go to the program and open it, it will open and i can watch the movie, but this is annoying.

minkokiss wrote:

OK so to summarize there are two methods which work:

1. Go to Start - > Type Run in the Search Box - > type regsvr32 wmp.dll
      2. This method is quick and all it does is re-register a WMP11 component and it may or may not work for some people
    2. You will need your Vista install DVD in the drive for
      the program to find the replacement files. Go to to the command prompt
      (when you boot from the DVD) and run SFC /SCANFILE.
      2. This method takes a while (between 20-30 minutes or
        less depending on the number of files you have on your computer) but is
        a lot more thorough and will most probably fix most of the issues you
        are having with WMP11 as it not only re-registers the components but it
        also replaces any corrupt ones with files from your VISTA INSTALL DVD.

I hope you will find this summary useful

Best Regards,

Minko Kissiov

Sunday, October 05, 2008 12:30 AM
  • sfc /scannow
    as run from command (not from the disk) does not find any problems.

this integration is ridiculous. the OS should be the OS, applications should be applications. then maybe i could just reinstall this program like any other.

if i can't resolve this issue, i'll just start using the best alternative. winamp?
    Sunday, October 05, 2008 12:48 AM
  • I have to say I was running XP until I upgraded to Vista Ultimate.I have NEVER EVER had a problem running WMP 11 on this system. Am I just lucky?.
    Sunday, October 05, 2008 4:19 AM
  •  maxwellJF wrote:
    this integration is ridiculous. the OS should be the OS, applications should be applications. then maybe i could just reinstall this program like any other.
    Your issue as you have described it indicates that the player is already currently open, which is why the clip is playing.  It sounds precisely like you have some application that is already using the player (Media Center?  Mobile Device or Sync Center?) and has it open that way.  This would not be affected in any fashion by a reinstall, so you'd be wasting your time and misleading yourself by going down that path anyways.

You should be able to confirm this by checking the Processes tab in Task Manager where you will likely see that "wmplayer.exe" (the player) is already open.

Vista Service Pack 1 generally improves the player's handling of weird applications that use it in the background, so if you haven't upgrade to that already, you should.  (Sometimes wonky devices can tell the player to do strange things, the player in SP1 is better about handling those situations.)

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 5:34 AM
  • There Are Many

Questions and answers of similar problems in

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/index.cfm?action=showthread&threadid=277561&forumid=23&sr=21

(I'm also looking for help where ever i can)

Friday, October 24, 2008 11:29 AM
  •  

I'm experiencing the similar problems with WMP11, and just want to reinstall the MEDIA PLAYER not the OPERATING SYSTEM!!! After watching this thread for weeks, I can't believe Microsoft has not come up with a way for us to do this.

Having to reinstall the whole OS and lose a lot of my settings is NOT a viable solution.  I guess this is goodbye to WMP11 and hello to one of the hundreds of competing Media Players which funnily enough don't require an OS reinstall when their software screws up!

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 3:02 AM
  •  

Generally the player is protected against corruption of what you could fix by normal reinstalls.  People really wanting to reinstall usually are attempting to solve some specific problem - you would usually be better off trying to solve that problem more directly.

Through a combination of:

* http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947541

and running "sfc /scannow" from an administrative cmd.exe prompt, you can do pretty much what you want in terms of reinstall.  If you're STILL having problems at that point, your problem is probably NOT going to be fixed by a reinstall and at that point you're likely barking up the wrong tree.  Try to solve it at that point more directly as opposed to trying to do an end-run via reinstall. =\

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 5:25 AM
  •  International Klein Blue wrote:

I THINK I have a solution. I was having a similar problem and I searched the Internet for an answer, but to no avail. WMP 11 would not open and my .wmv plugins no longer worked. When I clicked on WMP 11 in the Start menu (in Vista) it looked as though the computer would try to open it, but fail. I rebooted, then right-clicked on WMP 11 and selected "Run as Administrator." WMP 11 actually opened! However, it only worked if I tried to run as administrator. My plugins STILL didn't work and I couldn't use the "Open with WMP" command. For some reason, WMP's failure to open reminded me of the delay that occurs when trying to open a new program or install something and the security feature pops up asking you to verify the action. So, this is what I tried and it worked for me. Disable the User Account Control feature. Since doing this WMP has worked flawlessly. Even my plugins work! If anyone else attempts this "fix," please report the results in this forum. I'm not sure why the User Account Control would prevent WMP from working properly, but like I said, it worked for me. Good luck.

My Media Player suddenly refused to run, after disableing the UAC as advised above it did work again but now i have a security flag up each time  boot into windows so how do i reenable the UAC or will it have corrected itself and all i have to do is enable it again? 

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 12:18 PM
  • thanks so much! this is the only thing that worked!!!
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 1:13 AM
  • OMG it worked!!!!!  Dachavez...you are a genious, life saver, stress reliever, and Vista God!!! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.  I have tried every suggested fix on this site and none worked until I tried yours.  Why couldn't MS at least have the courtesy to post some of these solutions on their official site in one place so we don't have to dig through hundreds of possible solutions to find the one that works????  MS you suck!  Dachavez...you Rock!!!! 

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 7:59 PM
  •  

^-- In fairness, the Dachavez instructions have nothing to do with reinstalling the player, though, so any MS article on reinstalling the player would likely not cover the corruption you ran into.  It sounds like some bogus antivirus or security software potentially deleted IE registry settings from your system.  =\
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 12:50 AM
  • dog damn mother buckers, what a waste of time!!! I reinstalled vista like a week ago and now my xm radio won't work, "connecting to media" bull *** is all I get, WMP something still wrong with it, I tried everything on this damn forum, I want my time back! or money!!!! I'm using IE as admin, WMP is as default, why isn't it working??? I typed in all those damn commmands as administrator!
    Oh and all this ********* started when I was installing vista update package 1, and windows refused to start. I rather take a vacation in iraq than try to survive in microsoft's world.
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 6:28 AM
  • If you are reading this, I hope every single person whose bought a Microsoft product in the last two and a half years...........switches to APPLE and gets a MACINTOSH COMPUTER because your Microsoft products are ***!!!!!!
    I'm really tired of knit-knoid ********* everytime I feel the need to do something on my OWN, BOUGHT, ********** computer. I hope you guys(the Microsoft Corporation) go way the *** down you sacks of ***!................Thank you.
    I swear on my life, I will dedicate much of my time to bring you down if you don't come up with an update that takes out all the security, "permission" *********.
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 7:34 AM
  •  

I'm not sure what you're trying to do within the context of reinstalling the player where the system is blocking you where it should be letting you.

If you're trying to fix the player's files, don't do it yourself.  Use "sfc /scannow" from "cmd.exe" run As Administrator.

If you're trying to "fix" the player's registry values, don't do it yourself.  Follow the Resolution steps in this article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/947541 .

I'm not aware of any valid need for overriding the permissions issues you might run into.  I have certainly seen a lot of horrible advice that would make the problem worse: if that's what you're trying to do, then you should be sadly glad that there's stuff in place to prevent things getting worse.  If you have some good advice, point me to it so I can review it and make it meaningful/usable for you.  But if the advice you are trying to follow is running afoul of permissions issues, that doesn't seem like it was particularly great advice in the first place.

Generally this thread has been a goulash of different issues balled up under the unfortunate idea that a reinstall can fix everything.  It really can't, and I suspect that advice like this helps mislead people further.  Stepping back and pointing out the actual problem faced that leads you to want to Reinstall (or whatever other troubleshooting step is of interest) probably enables a better assessment of what would be the best path to solution. =\

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 8:42 AM
  • I had same problem,WMP plugins were causing IE to freeze. This was occuring at the Microsoft Office training site when trying to load an in course training movie. LOL. Microsoft Vista OS, Microsoft WMP, & Microsoft training site. I disabled User Account Control and problem solved. I discovered the problem was WMP by process of elimination by disableing all plugins and re-enabling 1 at a time.

Friday, November 28, 2008 2:14 PM
  • Ok so It seems after following this post for several months that Microsoft has no desire to help. "sfc/scannow" doesn't fix my problems of which there have been many. I've used the solutions listed here and have gotten nothing from them and I'm getting very frustrated. My latest problem is that I just bought a PS3 and am trying to use WMP11 to share files with it. When I started setting the player up it was working ok but nothing showed on the PS3. I've been trying to follow the instructions posted on the Playstation web site and now when I try to change the settings in the media sharing WMP11 stops working and closes on me. And again I've tried running "sfc /scannow" which came back with no errors so what do I do to fix this since I can't reinstall WMP.  Any help would be appreciated.
    Monday, December 29, 2008 9:32 AM
  • I am far less technically able than most on this site but this worked for me: I tried most of the suggestions re regsvr32 etc..and had no success under my user name and only partial success when signing on as administrator (audio only, no live streaming and/or picture freezing and break up). So created/added a new user account and that worked straight away. Of course you will have to copy folders and favorites over but that's a small price to pay. I'm sure it won't work for everyone but if there's any chance your user profile may be corrupted this is worth trying
    Saturday, February 07, 2009 4:42 PM
  • I have been having trouble with my WMP also, so I tried what you said, to disable the user account control.  I had to reboot after it was successful, but I still have trouble with my WMP. 
    Wish it would have worked.  I have tried numerous things already.
    Thanks anyway.
    capacitysky
    Monday, March 02, 2009 9:18 PM
  • Thanks Matt!  This problem has been killing me for days now, such an easy fix to delete the folder.  After that all is better, and my sirius stream works once again!
    Monday, April 13, 2009 6:29 PM
  • This is actually funny everyone. My client got hit with a nasty virus and it disabled everything for IE7 including the WMP.

I tried everything in the world to fix. Even on here.

The last thing that worked, that I should have known, was under Task Manager.

Goto your task manager and go under services.

Scroll down to WMPNetwork and right click, then click start.

Next in the same menu at the bottom, click on the services button.

From there find the WMP line and right click on it and set to automatic.

That is it. Can you believe it. Took me only 6 hrs to figure it out, even after installing Windows ATK. LOL Good luck.

And yes, I am laughing at myself!
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:07 AM
  • I mamage to start WMP again when i kill all tasks for media player on task manager. It starts again to work  the WMP plug in on IE too! Hope this helps!
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 11:29 AM
  • I just wanna say thank-you it did what you said an it worked like a charm .. thanx so much !! :)
    Wednesday, July 01, 2009 3:15 AM
  • All,

I have been plagued by the Sirius streaming issue too, and am on Windows 7. The following fix finally fixed my Sirius.

If you rename the "Windows Media" folder at:
    %appdata%\local\microsoft (or C:\Users\My Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft)

Thanks

Greg
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 2:58 PM
  • "Uninstall any third party plugins or codecs, it sounds like one is crashing WMP when it doesn't have admin rights."

Worked for me! thanks!

Thursday, July 23, 2009 6:13 AM
  • I HATE WINDOWS VISTA !!!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT TO DOWNGRADE TO XP AND I CANT KEEP GETTING BLUE SCREEN AM A GENUINE WINDOWS VISTA CUSTOMER IF SOMEONE COULD E MAIL ME AS I AM SO SICK OF VISTA DONT INSTALL 5/10 PROGRAMS !!     e mail me plz microsoft   shaf@freebannedinfo.com
    • Proposed as answer by gseale Monday, July 27, 2009 2:41 PM
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 11:31 AM
  • I HATE WINDOWS VISTA !!!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT TO DOWNGRADE TO XP AND I CANT KEEP GETTING BLUE SCREEN AM A GENUINE WINDOWS VISTA CUSTOMER IF SOMEONE COULD E MAIL ME AS I AM SO SICK OF VISTA DONT INSTALL 5/10 PROGRAMS !!     e mail me plz microsoft   shaf@freebannedinfo.com
    Insert Windows XP cd, and boot. Install Windows and completely format your drive. Oh, may want to backup your files first.

Greg
    Monday, July 27, 2009 2:42 PM
  • hey it worked thnx although i know this issue is very old.......i mean 2007
    Friday, August 28, 2009 1:38 PM
  • there was a mistake in the command, the correct typing is:
    regsvr32 wmp.dll

Just type it at the c:\windows\system32> regsvr32 wmp.dll

and that's it!
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 4:17 AM
  • Apparently there have been a lot of issues with WMP11 in Vista.  Just curious whether other people with these problems are also having problems with Windows Media Center too?  I've had my Dell 630i running Windows Vista sp2 for about a year now, and haven't had any problems until just recently.  I have been using DivX to burn videos, and it has worked quite well until the recent update to DivX version 7.  Immediately upon this update I have been having trouble with not only WMP11, but also WMC, and the DivX player.  The DivX player isn't too bad, it just has an occasional hesitation.  WMP is worse.  Sometimes it works ok.  But most of the time it plays my downloaded video media in slow motion with no sound.  WMC is even worse.  It is fine until I attempt to access my video media.  It then wants to shut down.  None of the proposed solutions work.  Reading through this long list of posts is enough to really ____ somebody off.  It is all so convoluted, and misdirected.  Mostly due to very unclear communication, unprecise details in resolutions,  and people who seem to think they have the solution for every issue related to WMP11.  Some of the responses here are just plain idiotic.  Others don't even apply to WMP11 in Vista (which as stated above could potentially make things worse).  Still others, just plain don't do anything.  And a wide array of others.  So, as originally suggested, in order to keep things as simple as possible, Microsoft should stop being stupid, and either issue a utility which enables users to uninstall WMP11, and then reinstall it.  Or they should just stop imbedding it into the OS disc.  This is simple because it will either work or it won't.  If it works, then at least people will know that they don't have to look elsewhere for their solution, rather than messing with sensitive registry files, or whatever.  Or trying to follow someones misleading directions to a ridiculous solution.  Or better yet follow someone else's very misleading instructions that will totally corrupt their system.  May be far fetched, but nevertheless possible.

I had high hopes for the sfc/scannow.  But these are the results I have obtained from this utility:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc/scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.
    Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of th
    em.
    Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.  For example
    C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

C:\Windows\system32>sfc/scannow

I did this with my Dell installation disc in my disc drive.  But this utility did not even make an attempt to access it.

You cannot directly access these log files.  But in another thread somewhere, somebody posted the way to access them, which did not work for me.  The instructions were very unclear whether you procede from a command prompt or whatever.  So I tried from a cmd prompt and from the run window.  Neither worked.

The regsvr32 wmp.dll is apparently supposed to restore the registry for WMP.  But apparently it only applies to Windows XP, and didn't work anyway.

Anyway, it is pretty obvious to me that by updating the DivX to version 7 created a software conflict, which also corrupted some unknown files.  However this update did not adversely effect Windows XP though.  My first thought was to uninstall the DivX software.  But it was too late.  The effected files had already been corrupted.

Anyway, as others have previously stated, I am unwilling at this point to reinstall the OS, because it is simply just a huge headache to get everything back to where it was before, if at all, since Dell has all their special little touches that they add after the OS installation.  I know some people who do this on a regular basis.  But they don't run Vista.  I'm not really complaining about Windows, and all of it's issues.  But it would be nice to have access to simple fixes.      

Sunday, November 01, 2009 9:18 AM

• Matt Snead Wrote:
    I found a fix to the sirius streaming issue.  It may fix other's issues as well:

I have been looking for weeks for a problem with WMP crashing on just opening the program up from the desktop icon or start menu, WMP would crash within a few seconds. It would play video and audio if you started it from the file you wanted to use only. I applied this tip to Vista 32 bit and what do you know it solved the problem.  I have tried codec removal sp2 removal and every other idea on the forums and none have worked. This one is the the right tip to use.
    Thankyou for a very very helpful tip.
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 6:08 AM
  • This problem just started this morning.  Any time I tried to open WMP, I got the alert that it had stopped working, etc.

Your suggestion fixed the problem straight away, thanx.

Buddha
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 9:56 PM
  • Not correct. XP version won't work on Vista.
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 4:58 AM
  • I tried this. The msg on this page is
    "We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found."
    See below for search results close to your request, or try a new search.
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 5:02 AM
  • if there is no windows media player in the list then, do you know how to get it there
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 2:14 AM
  •    

I also experienced the problem of Sirius internet radio suddenly not working with Vista . No idea what caused this to occur as it had worked perfectly for a long time. 

Tried all the fixes posted here, the one that actually worked for me was disabling UAC. As much as this feature is annoying to me I did not want to leave it disabled so I re-enabled it. Then I figured since the online radio worked without UAC why not try opening the IE browser as administrator. Well wouldn’t you know this simple solution worked, I now can listen to Sirius online again!

For those who may not be familiar with running a program as administrator all you need to do is right click on the IE browser icon and click on "Run as administrator".    

Hopefully some of you experiencing this problem will have success with this simple fix.

Thanks, this worked for me!!!
    Friday, January 29, 2010 1:51 AM
  • Thank you so much, this solved my problem completely and is much appreciated
    • Proposed as answer by grandad w Tuesday, February 16, 2010 11:35 AM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 8:57 PM
  • Thank you so much, this solved my problem completely and is much appreciated

I had the same problem. I was unable to start WMP. I found some suggestions on this & other forums for rectifying the problem. I tried them without success.

Co-incidentally I also had a problem with an Audigy sound card driver. I had rolled back the drivrt to an earlier version to restore ‘What u hear’ which was deleted from newer versions of the driver. I keptb restoring the driver I wanted to use but Windows Vista kept installing the newer version. This appeared to be co-incident with my losing WMP . I thought I would try restoring the driver I wanted and see if WMP worked again.

I did, but only after I had re-booted the computer.

To stop Windows Vista loading the updated driver, do the following.

Cick on ‘Start’ and on ‘Computer’ right click and choose ‘Properties.

On the left hand side of the screen, choose ‘Advanced System Settings’.

Choose the ‘Hardware’ tab and choose the ‘Widows Driver Update Settings’.

Here you have choices. Personally I selected ‘Never check for drivers when I connect to the Internet’ as selecting the ‘Ask me each time .....’ option proved a bit of a bore and accidentally selecting the wrong option puts you back to square one.

Outcome - I now have WMP and the driver I want for my sound card.

One thing more, just in case, I set a restore point on ‘System Restore’ just in case.

Whatever drive is causing your problem (if it is), you can roll it back in Device Manager.
    • Proposed as answer by grandad w Wednesday, February 17, 2010 2:42 PM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 11:38 AM
  • Further to contribution above, I looked at the "Widows Update History" & lo & behold, there were the driver downloads.

I have now changed the automatic download setting to "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them".

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 2:47 PM
  • 1.      Why can't I normally reinstall Windows Media Player 11?

Many people have had issues in which their copy of Windows Media Player 11 develops some sort of glitch or error and no longer works properly. Normally, this sort of problem could be fixed by reinstalling the program but, as many people have discovered, this is harder than it seems. This is because the Windows Media Player 11 (the version which comes bundled with Vista) is integrated into the operating system. While it is possible to try to reinstall it with the XP version of Vista, often the system will not recognize the reinstalled version. Because Windows Media Player 11 (WMP11) is directly intertwined with the Vista system, it cannot be removed and reinstalled like other programs.

2.      Options involving the Vista system

Technically speaking, the only way to reinstall WMP11 is to reinstall the Vista system. This will reinstall all of the components of Vista, which includes the integrated media player. This can be a hassle, however, as this process can take several hours and may involve the loss of important settings and documents. Another option, similar to reinstalling, is to do a system restore. This will restore the settings of Vista (and its components, including WMP11) to previous states.

3.      Options involving WMP11 directly

In some cases, it may be possible to fix the problem, not by reinstalling it, but by fixing whatever glitch has occurred. Sometimes this error is related to the security settings as they relate to WMP11. As a result, signing into Vista as a administrator may fix the problem. Other options include running a specific Vista patch. By clicking on the Window's button and selecting the run option and then typing "regsvr32 wmp.dll," you can run this program. It may be able to fix the problem with WMP11.

Friday, February 19, 2010 10:11 PM
  • I just want to tell how freakin awesome you are, you may have not solved the problem most are looking for but i've litterally spent 5 hours looking for a solution to my problem(the mini-toolbar w/play next, volume,ect... was not showing up, wmp would just minimize like a normal window). I signed on here with my fake email just to tell you two things.... 1 your awesome and 2 thanks.
    Tuesday, March 09, 2010 4:07 AM
  • I have another WMP problem.

I can no longer set WMP as my default media player. Vista says that it is my current default player for all media it plays, but when ever I double click to play, say a mp3, I get the "Choose what program to open this file" screen. Selecting WMP works and WMP will play it, but Vista will not remember this. Changing the default to another program works, and Vista remembers, just not when its WMP related.

So far I have tried:
    Vista recovery - Only goes back 3 days, roughly when this problem started.
    Vista Install CD - Never had one, Toshiba gave me a disk that just reinstalls Toshiba related files.
    sfc /SCANNOW - Found no problems.
    UAC - Turned this off a long time ago.
    regsvr32 wmp.dll - Tryed a few times, noticed no change.
    Control Panel/Default Programs - WMP already default.

Anyone know why this is and how to fix it?
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 12:45 AM
  • Here is how I did it using Minkokisss' method.

go to All Programs

click Accessories folder

Command Prompt will open

wait a few seconds

click ok

There ya go!

This worked great for me.....the original Minkokiss method by typing the Dll. into the run command box would get an error every time i tryed to do it, this however worked perfect. My one suggestion is to not copy and paste Johns Dll.,.. he spelled it wrong, its suppose to be  regsvr32 wmp.dll   good luck peoples.
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 9:22 PM
  • OMG!! THIS WORKED!!

I could not download any songs to my MP3 from Napster!  I spent over an hour on the phone with their tech support and they told me I had to re-install VISTA!  Now I dont!  You are a GOD!!

Laura

Monday, June 07, 2010 5:52 PM
  • I have another WMP problem.

I can no longer set WMP as my default media player. Vista says that it is my current default player for all media it plays, but when ever I double click to play, say a mp3, I get the "Choose what program to open this file" screen. Selecting WMP works and WMP will play it, but Vista will not remember this. Changing the default to another program works, and Vista remembers, just not when its WMP related.

So far I have tried:
    Vista recovery - Only goes back 3 days, roughly when this problem started.
    Vista Install CD - Never had one, Toshiba gave me a disk that just reinstalls Toshiba related files.
    sfc /SCANNOW - Found no problems.
    UAC - Turned this off a long time ago.
    regsvr32 wmp.dll - Tryed a few times, noticed no change.
    Control Panel/Default Programs - WMP already default.

Anyone know why this is and how to fix it?

Since this thread seems a bit activate again. Anyone else with this problem? I've since moved onto iTunes for all my media needs, but this still bugs me because I do like using WMP.

Or am I doomed to have a broken WMP.

Monday, June 07, 2010 11:31 PM
  • hello thank you very much this really helped me solved my problem, before I could not listen to radios  with mms streaming but now i can thank you very much again
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 7:48 PM
  • hello thank you very much this really helped me solved my problem now i can listen my favorites internet radios thanks very much and GOD BLESS U!

Step 1: go to start menu
    Step 2: go to Run

Step 3: Paste this  %userprofile%\appdata\local\microsoft      then click ok

Step 4:Then go "Windows Media" folder

step 5: Rename it

and thats all you have to do, i renamed as Media Player 11

Thursday, July 29, 2010 7:52 PM
  • The easiest way to re-install media player regardless of widows version is to start here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/windows-media-player

Thursday, October 07, 2010 4:46 AM
  • Hi Sal, yeah from what I know you can still repair your WMP without having to go over the whole process of reinstalling Vista. However, uninstalling windows media player isn't simple as it involves changes in your win registry. Before you do anything, just you back up everything in case you'll encounter complications. For the steps, just follow this tutorial on how to fix windows media player and you'll be guided from there.
    • Proposed as answer by MrRMC2011 Thursday, January 20, 2011 2:41 AM
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 5:02 PM
  • Hi All,

I had a problem with WMP, I could not open WMP at all. However, I found I could open it if I logged on as another user. There is the problem, it's a corrupted user profile that is causing the problem.

Microsoft has a fix to repair a corrupted user profile here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

I repaired the profile, and now I can open WMP.

MrRMC2011

MCDST

• Proposed as answer by MrRMC2011 Thursday, January 20, 2011 3:09 AM
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 2:50 AM
  • omfg i need help

i have windows vista and windows media player 11

for the last week it has been stuck in some compact mode (can be enabled by pressing the button in bottom right corner on now playing tab)

and yes i have tryed cntrl + 1 and 2 and the obvios button and all other obvios ways

this is annoying becuase its just a player

no playlist burning libary or anythingg

if a answer is found please email me at 2340k@live.co.uk

• Proposed as answer by Ulhas Morbale Monday, May 19, 2014 5:47 AM
    Tuesday, March 08, 2011 4:53 PM
  • Hello All,

My problem would be the same as MrRMC2011 with user profile as well. However the solutions provided in this link 
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile - would be to recreate user profile. 

Is there anyway for me to not delete the old user profile and keep using it? Meaning to fix the old one without creating a new one?

Thanks in advance.

Vonk

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 4:30 PM
  • control panel user act's turn off later i turned user ac'ts back on and the media player still worked.
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 4:53 AM
  • You can remove and reinstall Windows Media Player from the add/remove control panel.

1. Start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs 
    2. Click Add/Remove Windows Components
    3. Untick Windows Media Player
    4. Click OK/Done/Finish (Whichever it is)
    5. Go back into it and tick it again
    6. It will finish reinstalling and try running WMP11 again

Hope this helps

Ash

• Proposed as answer by AshLewis20 Tuesday, February 14, 2012 2:32 PM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 2:32 PM
  • Wow...just Wow, its 2012 and i've had this problem for at least three years and this was so simple and yet worked after all the trouble I went through this is amazing!! I had to laugh and then had to write this...Wow Thanx! :D

From

Mr Ross

Sunday, May 06, 2012 8:01 PM
  • Is this Vista you're talking about or 7? I guess in Vista you don't have that option... So, Vista?
    Monday, May 26, 2014 8:37 PM