none
Windows 8 - Windows Live Mail from Essentials 2012

Question

• Hi,

I installed Windows Live Mail (Essentials 2012), with Windows 7 (64) installed and experience no problems, with the operation.

I have a clean install of Windows 8 Pro (64), and have re-installed Windows Live Mail, only from the latest download of Essentials 2012 - Only mail installed!

Everything runs perfectly, except WLM does not send/receive automatically, on start-up; I have to click on the Send/Receive tab, or press F5

Looking at WLM, I cannot find the "Options" tab, which was previously located, near the top, on the right hand side of the screen.

Can anyone advise on this matter

Friday, November 09, 2012 7:27 AM

Answers

• Hi Nicholas

Thank you for this message; fortunately, after a lot of trouble shooting, I have resolved this issue - Not too confident, how!!

Prior to my first install of the Windows 8 Pro 64, upgrade, I re-installed a copy of a clean installation of Windows 7, as provided by the manufacturer of my PC. I then installed, Mail, from Windows Essentials 2012

I then performed the upgrade to Windows 8, live from within Windows 7 - This avoided the bother of finding new drivers!

Nearly everything worked fine, except for the problem with Windows Live Mail; I could not find any way to access the options - Location of Store folder - Selecting Mail to Send/Receive on start up - Delete "deleted" messages, on closure - etc.

In desperation, I decided to re-install Windows 8.

This time I deleted all of my partitions, and reformatting them (Paragon Back up & Recovery 2012).

I then reinstalled the clean copy of Windows 7 (The one above), but this time, refraining from installing Mail, from Windows Essentials 2012!  Then again performed the upgrade to Windows 8, live from within Windows 7.

At this point, I installed Mail, from Windows Essentials 2012

Problems cured - Left clicking the Blue File tab, in Mail, opened up a window, with Options.

I'm not sure, whether this was due to a corruption of Mail, first time round, or whether deleting/formatting my drives cleared something on my drive.

You live & learn

• Marked as answer by puncball Monday, November 12, 2012 4:36 PM
    Monday, November 12, 2012 4:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Firstly, please check the installation issue referring to the following guide:

One or more Microsoft programs didn't install. What went wrong?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/essentials-programs-didnt-install-ui

If the issue persists, as it is about Windows Essentials, please go to the corresponding forum for help:

Microsoft account, Hotmail, SkyDrive

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li

TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 12, 2012 7:05 AM
  • Hi Nicholas

Thank you for this message; fortunately, after a lot of trouble shooting, I have resolved this issue - Not too confident, how!!

Prior to my first install of the Windows 8 Pro 64, upgrade, I re-installed a copy of a clean installation of Windows 7, as provided by the manufacturer of my PC. I then installed, Mail, from Windows Essentials 2012

I then performed the upgrade to Windows 8, live from within Windows 7 - This avoided the bother of finding new drivers!

Nearly everything worked fine, except for the problem with Windows Live Mail; I could not find any way to access the options - Location of Store folder - Selecting Mail to Send/Receive on start up - Delete "deleted" messages, on closure - etc.

In desperation, I decided to re-install Windows 8.

This time I deleted all of my partitions, and reformatting them (Paragon Back up & Recovery 2012).

I then reinstalled the clean copy of Windows 7 (The one above), but this time, refraining from installing Mail, from Windows Essentials 2012!  Then again performed the upgrade to Windows 8, live from within Windows 7.

At this point, I installed Mail, from Windows Essentials 2012

Problems cured - Left clicking the Blue File tab, in Mail, opened up a window, with Options.

I'm not sure, whether this was due to a corruption of Mail, first time round, or whether deleting/formatting my drives cleared something on my drive.

You live & learn

• Marked as answer by puncball Monday, November 12, 2012 4:36 PM
    Monday, November 12, 2012 4:36 PM