none
Account is currently locked out and may not be logged on to

Question

• Hi administrator,

I have a problem that when i login correct password and it show this message "the referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged on to". So now i cannot login my account anymore. Is there any way to solve this problem? Please kindly advise, thanks.

Best Regards,

Saturday, January 14, 2012 1:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Did you change the password recently?

·         The issue can occur if you have mistyped the password several times and the system will block the account for logging on.

·          

You may refer to the following steps to check:

1. Open Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policy.

2. Click Security Settings -> Account Policies -> Account Lockout Policy.

3. Double-click Account lockout threshold, and type 0 to make “the account will not lock out”.

4. Click OK.

Sabrina

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:44 AM
    Monday, January 16, 2012 7:38 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you change the password recently?

·         The issue can occur if you have mistyped the password several times and the system will block the account for logging on.

·          

You may refer to the following steps to check:

1. Open Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policy.

2. Click Security Settings -> Account Policies -> Account Lockout Policy.

3. Double-click Account lockout threshold, and type 0 to make “the account will not lock out”.

4. Click OK.

Sabrina

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:44 AM
    Monday, January 16, 2012 7:38 AM
  • LOL,

What kind of answer is that?  How can Kelvin even check the control panel settings if he is locked out? How about some mention of default Account Lockout Durations?

Also, why is it that Sabrian can mark her own reply as the Answer?  One should not be able to mark their own replies as the answer..

Kelvin, I do belive that the default duration is 15 minutes.  I would recommend waiting that long and then SLOWLY typing what you think the password is into the computer again.

Good luck.

Mike

• Proposed as answer by iamaaronbrewer Thursday, December 26, 2013 8:13 PM
    Tuesday, February 07, 2012 9:10 PM
  • Lol very true but at the same time i think it was a solution given based on the assumption that the op knew there was a lockout wait time before being able to try logging in again and once they waited x amount of mins then they can use the steps posted above to verify the setting in the event this hapens to him her or someone else they know in the future lol but ya at first glance i wondered the sameeeee thing.
    Friday, February 24, 2012 4:07 PM
  • If the workstation is joined to a domain, you could try to login as the local administrator and change the settings that way.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 3:35 PM
  • This information helped me access a "locked" account on another computer because I was able to login with an alternate administrator account.

I still have some problems with that other computer though.  

The default account on that computer is called CHARLIE and I used to be able to log on with it.  Now it tells me the password is wrong. However, if I log onto another account, and then SWITCH USERS, and select CHARLIE, then the password DOES work!   Also, the avatar when first logging on the CHARLIE account is different than the one with the "Switch User" CHARLIE account.  I would think that the two CHARLIE accounts are different, but they are not.  

Also, on THIS computer, which also has Windows 7, when I click on the Control Panel > Administrative Tools, there is NO Local Security Policy!    The only difference in the operating systems is that this computer is Windows 7 home  64 bit and the problem computer is Windows 7 Enterprise x86

• Edited by Ryan X Roberts Wednesday, April 18, 2012 9:16 AM
    • Proposed as answer by themaurizio Sunday, June 16, 2013 11:36 PM
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 8:56 AM
  • Just need to ask the AD administrator.

@Shabrina Shen: why did you mark your answer without any privilege to log in to computer.

Thuan Soldier
    SharePoint Vietnam | Blog | Twitter

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 4:34 AM
  • I had this in a Citrix environment where one of the users had become disconnected and subsequently received the above error when he tried to log back in.

It was just a case of unlocking his account in the Active Directory.

Sunday, June 16, 2013 11:39 PM
  • I have the same problem, except I am getting locked out about every hour. When I go to Active Directory to unlock my account, it is greyed out. We are not able to change any local group policy settings. 

The event viewer is showing this as of 2:34 PM

The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows attempted to read the file ....Policies\...gpt.ini from a domain controller and was not successful. Group Policy settings may not be applied until this event is resolved. This issue may be transient and could be caused by one or more of the following:

a) Name Resolution/Network Connectivity to the current domain controller.

b) File Replication Service Latency (a file created on another domain controller has not replicated to the current domain controller).

c) The Distributed File System (DFS) client has been disabled.

Monday, February 24, 2014 11:58 PM