none
SoundMAX Uninstall...HDA Audio Bus Missing

Question

• So I ran across a computer in our district. A Dell Optiplex GX520 running Win XP SP3.

No sound. Thought to myself, easy fix. looks like a driver issue. I still believe its a driver issue but it is much deeper than that.

So I go to install the audio driver we have for that computer. It tells me there is a newer version already on the computer and to uninstall that version before installing this one. Ok, I go to add remove programs and go to uninstall SoundMAX, here comes the issue. Goes great up until it throws an error saying "The HDA Audio bus driver is required and not found."

HELP! I need to get the sound working on this machine, hoping I don't have to nuke it.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 7:04 PM

Answers

• Well the Repair Install of XP did not work but I found a solution.  I downloaded the audio driver from dell and tried installing it earlier.  I got an error stating that there was a newer version of the software installed and to uninstall it 1st from the Add/Remove Software function.  This, as you know, gave us the error "The HDA Audio bus driver is required and not found."

I went into Device Manager and right clicked on the Audio Controller with the yellow exclamation and selected update driver.  Chose to install from a specific location and selected C:\Dell\drivers\R97809\SMAXWDM\W2K_XP.  The driver installed and the sound was back after a reboot.

Hope this works for you.

• Marked as answer by Kazgrub Wednesday, September 07, 2011 5:28 PM
    Wednesday, September 07, 2011 5:09 PM

All replies

• Discovered the same problem with several 520's at the school where I work.  Have tried changing some registry values as described in other forums but that did not work.  Am researching more and will let you know what I find.  I'm thinking a repair install of XP will fix it but want to try and research a little more.  Let me know if you find anything.
    Tuesday, September 06, 2011 9:32 PM
  • Tried the following from Google search and did not work:

HDA Audio bus driver is required and not found.

• Step 1

Go to Start > Run and type Regedit

• Step 2

This will open up Windows Registry Editor. Next, follow the location of the key below by navigation through the little [+] signs you see next to the folders.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows\CDSVersion

• Step 3

Change the value of the CSDVersion Dword and give it the value 200.

• Step 4

Try to install your driver again, you should not get the error this time. Once installed, restart your computer and resotre the registry key back to 300.

Note: The 300 refers to the service pack you are running. In this example we fooled windows into thinking we had service pack 2, although we are actually running service pack 3!

Once you have restarted your machine you should have a fully working sound driver.

ALSO:  KB888111 Hot Fix from Microsoft did not work as suggested.  Trying The Repair Install of XP now.  Will let you know.

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 3:45 PM
  • Well the Repair Install of XP did not work but I found a solution.  I downloaded the audio driver from dell and tried installing it earlier.  I got an error stating that there was a newer version of the software installed and to uninstall it 1st from the Add/Remove Software function.  This, as you know, gave us the error "The HDA Audio bus driver is required and not found."

I went into Device Manager and right clicked on the Audio Controller with the yellow exclamation and selected update driver.  Chose to install from a specific location and selected C:\Dell\drivers\R97809\SMAXWDM\W2K_XP.  The driver installed and the sound was back after a reboot.

Hope this works for you.

• Marked as answer by Kazgrub Wednesday, September 07, 2011 5:28 PM
    Wednesday, September 07, 2011 5:09 PM
  • I had already handed out a new computer the day after I posted, the teacher couldnt wait for me to figure it out. Although I will go and try this fix for the old machine. Awesome that you got yours fixed :)

Hopefully this will help someone else in the future with the same problem.

Thanks for all the help, and yeah.... that hot fix did nothing for me either.

Kazgrub

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 5:30 PM
  • Looks like this worked for me with a dimensions 1100 running out ouf C:\DELL\drivers\R105155

tw

Thursday, July 18, 2013 1:47 AM