none
Problems with performance: The average disk queue lenght is 2. Help!

Question

• I'm running windows 7 64bit and for a while I've noticed that my computer is not performing as it used too. The response time has slowed down quiet a bit and freezes for a few seconds at a time - mose movement is a bit spratic also. I ran a system digonistic report and it came up with the problem below. I've defraged the computer, ran virus checks, cleaned the reg and defraged it, cleaned out all uncessary files, etc and the same problem shows us. I have 1TB hard drive and only 233Gb is used. I also have 6GB of memory. My computer is a HP Envy 17 model# XH048UA#ABA. Please help!

Severity:
    Information
    Warning: The average disk queue length is 2. The disk may be at its maximum transfer capacity due to throughput and disk seeks
    Related:

Disk Diagnosis

Thursday, August 11, 2011 4:21 PM

Answers

• You need to look at Resource Monitor while the problem is happening. So in this case that means looking at it when Perfmon Average Disk Queue Length is 2 or higher.

Start, Run, Perfmon, add counter, PhysicalDisk, Avg. Disk Queue Length, All instances.

Friday, August 12, 2011 1:50 PM

All replies

• The Disk tab in Resource Monitor (Start, Run, Resmon, or just the Resource Monitor button on the Performance tab of Task Manager) will show you disk activity by process to help understand what specific process is causing so much disk activity.
    Friday, August 12, 2011 6:34 AM
  • Hey Craig, Thanks for replying. I checked and they are all on 00. Any other suggestions?
    Friday, August 12, 2011 12:39 PM
  • You need to look at Resource Monitor while the problem is happening. So in this case that means looking at it when Perfmon Average Disk Queue Length is 2 or higher.

Start, Run, Perfmon, add counter, PhysicalDisk, Avg. Disk Queue Length, All instances.

Friday, August 12, 2011 1:50 PM
  • Then what?  I had the same problem, and I'm not sure what I'm looking at on the Resource Monitor.
    Monday, November 28, 2011 9:29 PM
  • I have same problem. I have two disks. one with FAT another NTFS. I dont know which one has problem. I have checked perfmon. what next ?
    Monday, March 12, 2012 7:42 AM
  • I had the same problem with the same warning: "The average disk queue length is 2. The disk may be at its maximum transfer
    capacity due to throughput and disk seeks". Honestly I don't know what that means or how to fix it. I know computers do deteriorate over time but my computer is still relatively new. I have checked the task manager thing and that is never over 50 even when the problem is occuring. I don't know what to do... Hope someone can help please?
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 11:07 AM
  • I have found out that most of the complaints about this in any forum are from Windows 7 64-bit users.  All different brands of PC's and Hard drives.  Just FYI.

Jeska2012

Saturday, July 27, 2013 4:50 AM