none
0x800703EE

Question

•  

Hello, I a new to windows vista, and i´ve been having some problems. First of all error 0x800703EE "The volume for a file has been externally altered such that the opened file is no longer valid", has showned up when i am trying to copy a CD (dell xps m1530). I dont know what to do, because i am unable to copy the files to the cd, i have try it over 4 times, rebooting my computer etc...

I will aprecciate very much if some one could help me

Mschwarzhaupt

Thursday, April 17, 2008 3:22 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Before going further, please help confirm the following points:

1.   Can the CD/DVD drive work properly on Windows Vista?

2.   When did the issue begin to occur? Have any changes been made on the computer recently, such as an installation or upgrade?

3.  Does the error message appear when copying all files or only certain files to the CD/DVD drive?

Based on the current situation, I suggest trying the following steps to troubleshoot the issue:

Method 1 If you have any third-party CD/DVD-burning software such as Naro or Roxio installed, please temporarily remove them from "Control Panel"-> "Programs and Features".

Method 2 Delete Filter Drivers

====================

1. Click Start, type regedit and press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer.

Method 3 Reinstall the CD/DVD drive

===============================

1.   Click Start, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.

2.   Expand DVD/CD-ROM drives.

3.   Right-click the CD/DVD drive and click Uninstall.

4.   Restart the computer.

Then refer to the following article to burn files to a CD.

http://www.vista4beginners.com/Burn-CDs-DVDs

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

To get the issue resolved in a timely manner, I suggest also contacting Dell for more information.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, April 21, 2008 7:56 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Before going further, please help confirm the following points:

1.   Can the CD/DVD drive work properly on Windows Vista?

2.   When did the issue begin to occur? Have any changes been made on the computer recently, such as an installation or upgrade?

3.  Does the error message appear when copying all files or only certain files to the CD/DVD drive?

Based on the current situation, I suggest trying the following steps to troubleshoot the issue:

Method 1 If you have any third-party CD/DVD-burning software such as Naro or Roxio installed, please temporarily remove them from "Control Panel"-> "Programs and Features".

Method 2 Delete Filter Drivers

====================

1. Click Start, type regedit and press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer.

Method 3 Reinstall the CD/DVD drive

===============================

1.   Click Start, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.

2.   Expand DVD/CD-ROM drives.

3.   Right-click the CD/DVD drive and click Uninstall.

4.   Restart the computer.

Then refer to the following article to burn files to a CD.

http://www.vista4beginners.com/Burn-CDs-DVDs

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

To get the issue resolved in a timely manner, I suggest also contacting Dell for more information.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, April 21, 2008 7:56 AM
  • Hey Tim (or anyone with the answer),

On Method 2, what if both the upperfilters and lowerfilters are NOT present? I only have lowerfilters present!?
    Saturday, August 01, 2009 8:06 PM
  • I am running Windows 7 and get this same error message when I try to run a Windows Backup.  I've been working with HP for over a week, even to the point of restoring my computer to original state and I'm getting that same 0x800703EE error and I'm using DVD's to copy to.  Will this fix work for 7?
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 11:33 AM
  •  

I am running Windows 7 and get this same error message when I try to run a Windows Backup, also.  Trying to use DVD's

• Proposed as answer by Chris Tagg Wednesday, February 09, 2011 2:09 PM
    Sunday, May 09, 2010 4:35 AM
  • Answer - Use Nero :)
    Wednesday, February 09, 2011 2:11 PM
  • I'm running Win7 natively on an Acer 5734z with an Optiarc drive. All drivers are updated. There are no limits present in that Reg key, and I'm not running any special optical software.. Un/reinstalling the drive does nothing. Some files transfer fine. It seems larger ones do not.
    • Edited by paul1149 Monday, February 04, 2013 4:54 AM
    Monday, February 04, 2013 4:53 AM