none
Specific driver for HP laserjet 5000? (HP's universal driver not working)

Question

• While Windows 7 runs smoothly on my test computer [P4 2.4GHz/266MHz/1GB/80GB/Radeon9550) and the applications I tried run OK, I cannot get my networked HP Laserjet 5000 working as it does from computers running XP or Vista.

The Laserjet is connected to a Debian box, and was easily installed using a http connection and a driver that XP and Vista specifically provide for the "Laserjet 5000 Series PS", but Windows 7 apparently expects one to use HP's Universal Postscript driver. The latter installs without complaints, but if I try to print a test page the Universal PS driver tells me the printer is not a supported device.

I was able to get the laserjet working with the generic MS imagesetter driver, but it would be nice to be able to use the same kind of driver as in XP or Vista [I did try the Vista driver with test-signing on, but that repeatedly generated an error and aborted installation].

Jeroen

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 6:11 PM

Answers

• Windows 7 is a new operating system (only the beta version); some third-party manufacturers might not publish the latest driver compatible with the new OS. I suggest that you should wait for another period of time till the retail version is released and push the HP vendor to upgrade their device driver. Thanks for your time and understanding!
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, February 16, 2009 3:01 AM
    Friday, January 30, 2009 8:39 AM

All replies

• Windows 7 is a new operating system (only the beta version); some third-party manufacturers might not publish the latest driver compatible with the new OS. I suggest that you should wait for another period of time till the retail version is released and push the HP vendor to upgrade their device driver. Thanks for your time and understanding!
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, February 16, 2009 3:01 AM
    Friday, January 30, 2009 8:39 AM
  • Hmmmm.  So should we expect a whole new set of driver issues again going to Windows 7 (like with Vista)?  It seemed to take forever to get Vista compatible drivers for some devices.

I have Windows 7 up in a VM on my Hyper-V server and was testing group policy.  I was able to load my printers and they appear to be installed and functional, but when I try to print, I get an error in the print queue, but nothing in the event log.  I am also using the HP Universal Print driver.  Should I assume that is the problem?

Thursday, February 26, 2009 3:18 PM
  • I have attempted to use the HP PCL6 Universal Driver to print on my college network however when I attempt to configure the driver (there is a printer permanently in Devices and Printers, and you specify which printer to connect to each time you print) the configuration fails and explorer.exe crashes. Running Windows 7 x64 RC1, same issue was apparent in the previous public beta too.
    Friday, May 15, 2009 5:54 PM