none
Howto rename current user including profilepath?

Question

• Hi!

I can rename the current username from userA to userB inside user account settings.

But when I open a command prompt it always shows C:\USERS\userA as the profilepath. Also when I call whoami, it shows MyComputer\userA!

How can I change the profilename from userA to userB, so it reflects my username changes?

Thanks!

MikeH

Monday, March 18, 2013 3:38 PM

Answers

• Just because it's 2013, programs will magically stop doing bad practices?

Both Windows and OS X don't allow renaming of the "short name", aka the user folder. If you want to rename that and not just rename your display name, make a new user and port your files and settings over to that user with Windows Easy Transfer.

• Marked as answer by MikeH2005 Wednesday, March 20, 2013 12:58 PM
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 12:33 PM

All replies

• Hi MikeH, why do you want to rename the profile path?

This will most probably brake many things, example many applications saves a path to configuration files etc. and if you change the path it may require application reinstallation.

cheers

Monday, March 18, 2013 6:58 PM
  • Thanks for replying, but it is not the question of breaking software. The question is, how to rename a user?

We are living in the year 2013 now, Windows NT is a long time ago. But still this topic obviously didn't change.

Every IT pro should use %USERPROFILE%
    In Powershell you use $Env:USERPROFILE
    Every Windows Developer should use KNOWNFOLDERID

Every software which uses the Windows Logo, has to play by certain rules. And part of these rules is not to use hard implemented folders.

So there should not break any software these days.

MikeH

Monday, March 18, 2013 7:54 PM
  • Just because it's 2013, programs will magically stop doing bad practices?

Both Windows and OS X don't allow renaming of the "short name", aka the user folder. If you want to rename that and not just rename your display name, make a new user and port your files and settings over to that user with Windows Easy Transfer.

• Marked as answer by MikeH2005 Wednesday, March 20, 2013 12:58 PM
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 12:33 PM
  • Thanks Entegy, using Windows Easy Transfer is not the perfect solution but it worked. I didn't know, that it is possible, to use it on the same computer.

MikeH

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 12:58 PM