none
Windows 7 Media Center and DVD Folders

Question

• Hi,

I have hundreds of DVDs stored on a Windows Home Server which I can then play on Windows XP MCE in various rooms in my house. Before anyone says anything about pirated DVDs, I own every DVD I have on the harddisk - it's just for convienience. The DVDs have all had their region protection removed, and are stored as files (i.e. \VIDEO_TS\video_ts.ifo, \VIDEO_TS\*.vob, etc..). The movies play perfectly using Media Player Classic HomeCinema, so it's not a security issue or codec problem.

In Windows XP, I could play the DVDs in MCE by navigating though the folder structure I have to get to the DVD I wanted to watch. The DVDs are in folders using the same structure as a DVD (i.e. "\\homeserver\somePath\someMovie\VIDEO_TS\video_ts.ifo"), and work perfectly in Windows XP MCE with DVD Gallery turned on.

In Windows 7 Media Center there seems to be two options:

- Movies, which ignores the folder structure, but plays the DVD folders. This is of no help to me as the folder structure is essential to knowing which disc is being played as I have multiple discs with paths like "\Medium\Season 1\Episodes 01-04\VIDEO_TS.ifo" all of which show up as just "Episodes 01-04".
    - Videos, which shows me the folder structure, but doesn't play the DVD folders. I can play individual .VOB files, but obviously that's a real pain and navigating to the right file is a nightmare.

Is there a method to turn on DVD Folder support in Videos like in Windows XP MCE? Or a method to allow folder navigation under Movies?

Peter Clark.
    Friday, May 22, 2009 9:45 AM

All replies

• Does no-one from Microsoft know? Or anyone else?

Peter.
    • Proposed as answer by livilaNic Saturday, June 06, 2009 6:46 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by PJAClark Saturday, June 06, 2009 12:23 PM
    Wednesday, June 03, 2009 6:46 PM
  • And there was me thinking someone knew something about video_ts folders and Windows 7 Media Center. Ah well!
    Saturday, June 06, 2009 12:25 PM
  • I also have a home server setup.  I put my dvds into a DVD folder so that i could use my Media center to browse and play DVDs.  I cna play the DVD via windows media player by browseing...again a pain but it does show up in Media center but plays about 9 seconds of video and loops back to the begining of the movie.  I also have purchase all the DVDs I plan on setting up this way. 
    Monday, June 08, 2009 7:46 PM
  • Hi -

The key to making your life easier is to get valid metadata for your dvd's. Then you can browse/group dvd's with covers, genres, date added etc etc.. (and the subfolders won't be such an issue - as you'll now be able to find stuff).

There's an inbuilt metadata system in the inbuilt Movies browser (same as what you get when you insert a real disc - where you get artwork, descriptions, actors etc) - but because it can't auto-match the disc via it's checksum (dvdid) - you need to manually supply these. 

You can do this by dropping valid *.dvdid.xml files into the root folder of the ripped dvd. (ie the folder which has subfolders VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS).   There is a bunch of 3rd party tools around which will simplify this for you (and auto download all the right data) - or you can go to http://dvdxml.com/  - which has dvdid.xml files you can download and drop into your folders (these files are generally less than <1k in size as it's just got the dvd title and a matching ID used for the lookup).

You can also set artwork for your movies by dropping an image file 'folder.jpg' into the same location (do this only if you can't be bothered getting the dvdid files).

Niall

Niall Ginsbourg - MVP Windows Media Center - Australia
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 7:22 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Niall,

I already have the metadata files in the folders thanks to MyMovies. The problem remains that if you have a TV series in there, you still get either "Chuck - Season 1" 6 times (1 for each disc), or you get "Disc 01-02" with the Chuck cover art. Neither is particularly helpful.

It's also incredibly slow with that many discs (1,300 titles across 3,500 discs), and scanning of all the folders takes ages as well. Things like Genres don't help overly either with that many discs - you still end up with 500 'action' movies rather than going \T\Terminator\Terminator 2.

I already have the cover-art in the folders, and they are organized exactly how I want them organized. I just want to be able to navigate the folders I already have. Videos on the XP MCE let me do this perfectly - it's fast, pretty enough (thanks to folder.jpg) and follows my organizational structure. Windows 7 RC has the same system, but someone has turned off support for DVD folders.

So it comes back to how can I turn it on for Videos, or how can I show folders in Movies?

Peter.
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 12:03 PM
  • Not sure if you know or not but the settings are in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center. Seems they have settings for everything but Movies lol. The strings under VideoSettings "VideosDefaultLMRootPivot" and "VideosDefaultRootPivot" points to Folders. Not sure if anyone could get that working for Movies somehow or what.

EDIT: Read >this< thread see if it helps. If not, try asking around there to see if someone could help you a bit better.
    • Edited by livilaNic Wednesday, June 10, 2009 6:45 PM
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 8:53 PM
  • I've just read the post, and it seemed the person started with the same problem as me, but it turned out to be about problems with UNC vs mapped drives.  Nothing 'new' that helps. I've posted a reply, as it does seem like a related thread to my problem and they seem like a helpful community. If it does come to something, I'll post the answer here as well.

I've seen the setting under \.....\Media Center, and I've tried to find out as much as I can about them (which is fairly hard as information seems very limited at the moment). Nothing I've found so far helped :(

Peter.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 7:36 AM
  • Is there a method to turn on DVD Folder support in Videos like in Windows XP MCE? Or a method to allow folder navigation under Movies?
    In Vista, the DVD Library ribbon was disabled unless you had a multi-disc DVD player. Maybe it is the same in 7. Have you ever seen this:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\DvdSettings

Double-click the key ShowGallery and change the value from "Play" to "Gallery".
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 3:25 PM
  • My problem was with the way i was ripping my DVDs...I fixed it and I am slowy adding my DVDs to my colletion and it works just the way i want.  I open My Movies and selecet the movie i want and play....
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 3:36 PM
  • Gil Davis:

I've seen that registry key before - it has no effect in Windows 7 as far as I can tell. I think the DVD Gallery option in XP/Vista actually IS the new Movies strip in Windows 7. Unfortunately they have changed how it works, and removed the ability to navigate by folder. This is the functionality I desire which works perfectly on XP MCE.

LeoGetz:

My Movies is a great application, but has major speed issues with the MCE client when you get lots of DVDs (rumoured to be fixed in the next full release, v3). I also don't like the way it handles TV series (because it doesn't). I use My Movies for the metadata side, but I can't use it for playing DVDs.

Peter.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 7:11 PM
  • I only have a couple movies done so maybe why am not having issues yet...
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 7:13 PM
  • My Movies works great until you get a LOT of DVDs. I have 1,300 titles with 3,500 discs!

Peter.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 7:15 PM
  • Hi, 100% agree with you regarding DVD folder and sub folder navigation. MCE2005 did exactly what I needed it to. With hundreds of ripped DVDs, Vista MC is a real pain. I have a need to sort my DVD into folders like many others:

1. Home Movies - I do lots of my own DVD authoring with family videos, etc.
    2. Dads Movies - Movies that aren't suitable for the kids
    3. Kids Movies
    4. Documentaries - I have lots of these
    5. TV Series

The problem with Vista and the way it aggregates all DVDs into one large view is the peformance hit the system takes whilst loading all the DVDs. Also makes it a real pain with Series DVDs that use a Disc 1, Disc 2 naming convention.

I would pay real money for this to be resolved as I've spent a fortune on my HTPC, TV, AMP setup. I run 2 NAS servers almost fully populated with 9TB of Storage just for my MC.

If someone can fix this, and I suggest Microsoft should, it would be an awesome feature.

Regards

Paul Debelak
    Friday, July 17, 2009 3:40 AM
  • So noone has an answer to this problem so it seems? I have the same problem.. The same non-piracy applies to me, I've ripped my series to DivX though to save room :)

Yesterday I installed the last Windows 7 RC on my HTPC, which was previously running the Windows XP MCE 2005 edition.. Needless to say alot has changed for me :)

Comparing the 2 applications, I think the menu in MCE2005 was much simpler and user friendly.. I mean, who is going to look for Videos in the Pictures section??

Maybe this was already a problem in Vista, but I also can't seem to play my DVDs from this Videos menu.. And when I setup my Movies library to look for .avi or .mpg files, it doesn't find them.. 

So basically my question is: How do I get to play my .avi video's and locally stored DVD movies from the same menu, without all the metadata, just by folder structure like I had in MCE 2005? I don't want MCE to order my files for me, I'll do that myself..

I hope someone knows if there is a possible "retro" switch in Windows 7 MCE, or does anyone know of a third party application that can make my new Media Center simplified? Thanks in advance..
    • Edited by Kwidney Thursday, August 13, 2009 10:27 AM
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 10:17 AM
  • The movies library is for movies (feature films). I have a number of DVD ripped TV shows, music videos and other videos in my collection. They are not movies. They belong in the Pictures+Videos library along with their .avi siblings.

Surely MCE can be made to recognise DVD rips in Pictures+Videos? If not, I think this should be considered a bug.

In the meantime, does anyone know of any MCE-supported container format I could convert DVD rips into and not lose the menus, extras etc?
    Tuesday, September 01, 2009 1:05 PM
  • Hi kingboyk,

The movies library is useless for movies unless you have everything in a particular structure and don't care about relationships. Personally, I organize things according to my mind, not someone else's. For example, I want to be able to group things into related series - such as the movie Get Shorty and it's sequel Be Cool. In Vista & Windows 7 these two movies show up as two completely unrelated movies with 500 discs between them. Using XP MCE & folders they are right next to each other!

Then consider a universe with movies, TV series and alternate versions of movies like Superman:

\\HomeServer\Videos\S\Superman
    \\HomeServer\Videos\S\Superman\01 - Superman
    \\HomeServer\Videos\S\Superman\02a - Superman II - The Richard Lester Cut
    \\HomeServer\Videos\S\Superman\02b - Superman II - The Richard Donner Cut
    \\HomeServer\Videos\S\Superman\03 - Superman III
    \\HomeServer\Videos\S\Superman\04 - Superman IV - The Quest For Peace
    \\HomeServer\Videos\S\Superman\05 - Superman Returns
    \\HomeServer\Videos\S\Superman\Smallville
    \\HomeServer\Videos\S\Superman\Smallville\Season 01
    \\HomeServer\Videos\S\Superman\Smallville\Season 01\Disk 1
    \\HomeServer\Videos\S\Superman\Smallville\Season 01\Disk 2 (And so on for each disk...)
    \\HomeServer\Videos\S\Superman\Smallville\Season 02 (And so on for each season...)
    \\HomeServer\Videos\S\Superman\Supergirl
    \\HomeServer\Videos\S\Superman\Superman - Doomsday

I *want* Smallville organized next to the Superman movies. In fact, I want all TV series to be under the same root as their related movies. And therefore, I want TV series to appear in the same place as the movies, as I don't want to have to remember that The Sarah Conner Chronicles is under Movies\Terminator whilst Dollhouse is under Videos.

Having DVD Folders work under Videos let me do this, and it worked perfectly.

Peter.
    Tuesday, September 01, 2009 6:05 PM
  • Peter,
    It sounds like you and I have very similar setups and similar complaints about media center.  I did the my movies thing until a bit ago when it seems to have corrupted on me or something... BUT it did have a way to group things together nicely (I was using MCE 2005 at the time), by using the series/box set option in the collection management screen.  ANYWAY, I did that for a while, but when I put windows 7 on my new PC I decided to check out the changes and a new addin - Media Brower (http://www.mediabrowser.tv/).  It is very nice, but it has a flaw - its like it goes and re-downloads metadata for my collection every time I open it.  So I turned that part off and use another tool, Media Center Master (http://www.mediacentermaster.com/), to get all of the metadata for my movies and even a lot of my tv shows.  For better TV show metadata I use media scout (http://tvscout.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=22953).  It takes a while to pull all the data up front with a very large collection, but it solved the slow rendering of the covers and such.  Media Browser's collection browsing is MUCH better than anything else I've found to date.  This being said, I'm currently designing a media center plugin myself which will hopefully handle our scenario properly.  I'd be much further along with it, but work is keeping me swamped at the moment.  If you find a better solution that is already available please let me know :)

Daniel
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 4:45 AM
  • Peter, I think we have the same problem, we're just looking at it from different angles. Daniel, your plugin sounds interesting, please post again when it's ready for testing or if you need some help :) Too bad that MS made such a mess of this and I presume from the silence that there's no way round it! :(
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 9:54 AM
  • I was able to get it to use the Video_TS folder.  A while ago I was using XBMC for Xbox and had this structure

C:\Movies\Dark City
    C:\Movies\Dark City\AUDIO_TS
    C:\Movies\Dark City\VIDEO_TS

I realized with XBMC, all it cared about was the Video_TS folder and the VOB/IFO files in that folder.  So I restructured it all like this for the purposes of the XBMC IMDB movie scraper.

C:\Movies\Dark City (1998)

Now all the VOB/IFO files are housed in this folder.  I added the C:\Movies folder to the Movie Media library in Windows 7 Media Center and it picked up all the movies and played them correctly.  I believe all I need to do now is put XML metadata in the folder to allow for summaries as well as a folder.jpg for the cover art.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 3:32 AM
  • I'm having the same problem and I'm very bummed.     MCE2k5 handled my DVDs without fail, but will not work with Windows 7...  There were so many things I like about 7, but I'm afraid I will have to go back....   

Does anyone have a hard resolve for this?
    Friday, October 30, 2009 8:31 PM
  • i'm trying to figure this one out too.  (see my other thread:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpromedia/thread/e7b387a4-3a83-402c-8d2d-be735c1ef889 )

i have around 100 folders by movie name, each has the VIDEO_TS folder-files w/in.  whenever i have the main folder shared in the library for movies and open WMC, it shows all the movie's DVD covers (i have folder.jpg for each movie) but then locks up when i try and start navigating...so i can't even think of watching anything.

however, i've found that i had a couple *.avi files in the folders and that was why i was able to associate my DVD folder in the movie library.  once i removed those files and had only IFO files, i was no longer able to associate the main folder to the movie library w/in WMC...

anyone have any ideas?
    thanks
    lv
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 4:48 AM
  • Is there a method to turn on DVD Folder support in Videos like in Windows XP MCE? Or a method to allow folder navigation under Movies?
    In Vista, the DVD Library ribbon was disabled unless you had a multi-disc DVD player. Maybe it is the same in 7. Have you ever seen this:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\DvdSettings

Double-click the key ShowGallery and change the value from "Play" to "Gallery".

This helps a lot, but I found that I needed a couple more things:
    A. restart the media center (I rebooted)
    B. from an article at http://www.paraesthesia.com/archive/2008/09/12/how-to-set-up-a-dvd-library-in-windows-media.aspx

1. Open Windows Media Center.
    2. Go to the DVD Library.
    3. Inside the DVD Library, right-click and select "Add Movies." This will take you to a similar screen as the Library Setup (noted above) where you can add folders to watch that contain movies.
    Once I added my root (where my movie/VIDEO_TS folders are) it pretty much just worked the way I expected.

Ted
    Friday, November 13, 2009 5:06 AM
  • Peter and others, I have had the same problem with Vista since inception.  I had hoped that W 7 would have fixed the lack of control over Media Center, but it is clear that Microsoft continues to believe that they know what we want better than we do.  I like to be able to organize as I see fit.  Something that makes sense to me.  I don't need to organize my movies or be able to index them by date, type, etc.   I want to organize them based on how I think.  It is sad to say that I have downgraded Vista computers to XP and worse to say that my two new ones in W7 will also be downgraded till this is fixed or there is a solution to the problem.  There should be two programs for Media Center.  The actual Media Center and a program that controls how Media Center works, similar to My Movies, which would allow those that don't think videos should be under pictures, as I do.  That allows a users folders to override the manufacurers idea of indexing.  That allows a user that doesn't want to watch netflix, or sports, or internet tv to have to sift through these only to place media center plugins like weather, My Movies and an HAI Home Automation interface to have to be placed in "Extras" as opposed to being on the main menu. 

Friday, November 20, 2009 4:12 AM
  • microsoft needs to move away amgdata for getting info, its source really messes things up which is why i totally disable it and use third party plugins
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 5:15 AM
  • You may want to consider looking at the program Movie Collector found at www.Collectorz.com.  It allows me to view my DVD collection in Media Center and play the movies from the hard drive as well. It's a really neat program even without this feature. I think it will solve your problem.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 9:13 AM
  • I am new to the DVD ripping world. I am interested in ripping my DVD collection to a NAS where I can play back on a media Center PC and Xbox 360. I want to keep full quality of the DVD as storage is not an issue. I have messed around with this task through free DVD ripping software. I am confused about the ripping process of vob files and getting just one file where I can organize folders to browse with cover art.

If anyone has this practice down and knows the best way for it, please contact me and share your knowledge.

Ou can reach me at jasonpbaxter@gmail.com Jason at 615-533-4188
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 9:41 PM
  • Hi,

I have hundreds of DVDs stored on a Windows Home Server which I can then play on Windows XP MCE in various rooms in my house. Before anyone says anything about pirated DVDs, I own every DVD I have on the harddisk - it's just for convienience. The DVDs have all had their region protection removed, and are stored as files (i.e. \VIDEO_TS\video_ts.ifo, \VIDEO_TS\*.vob, etc..). The movies play perfectly using Media Player Classic HomeCinema, so it's not a security issue or codec problem.

In Windows XP, I could play the DVDs in MCE by navigating though the folder structure I have to get to the DVD I wanted to watch. The DVDs are in folders using the same structure as a DVD (i.e. "\\homeserver\somePath\someMovie\VIDEO_TS\video_ts.ifo"), and work perfectly in Windows XP MCE with DVD Gallery turned on.

In Windows 7 Media Center there seems to be two options:

- Movies, which ignores the folder structure, but plays the DVD folders. This is of no help to me as the folder structure is essential to knowing which disc is being played as I have multiple discs with paths like "\Medium\Season 1\Episodes 01-04\VIDEO_TS.ifo" all of which show up as just "Episodes 01-04".
    - Videos, which shows me the folder structure, but doesn't play the DVD folders. I can play individual .VOB files, but obviously that's a real pain and navigating to the right file is a nightmare.

Is there a method to turn on DVD Folder support in Videos like in Windows XP MCE? Or a method to allow folder navigation under Movies?

Peter Clark.

Try using disk images (ISO files) and use a virtual DVD program. Works fine for me with all the disks I get from MSDN etc.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe

See my site for detailed machine information

• Proposed as answer by Vegan FanaticMVP Saturday, January 23, 2010 3:19 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by PJAClark Saturday, January 23, 2010 12:26 PM
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 3:19 AM
  • Hi Vegan,

My primary issue is that having 4000+ discs in one view (a la Windows 7 MCE Movies view) is absolutely useless. My folder structure is essential! Your solution would have also involved having to re-generate all the DVD ISOs and update all the meta-data for 12TB of data I already have.

I was after a simple method of playing DVD folders in Windows 7 Media Center using my own folder structure.

My eventual solution has been to use a customised version of Media Browser (from http://www.mediabrowser.tv/). My alterations allow proper support for multi-disc titles from the MyMovies.xml files which are the local copy of my meta-data across 4000+ discs. Without my changes, you can end up with 6 discs all titled "CSI: Las Vegas - Season 1" as it doesn't read disc titles, just the main title. My changes show them as "Episodes 01-04 (part of CSI: Las Vegas - Season 1)", along with some clean up work to get rid of "Feature Disc" and other meaningless disc titles.

I would love for Microsoft to have kept the Windows XP MCE functionality, as it worked superbly. In the mean time, Media Browser solves my issues for me.

Peter.
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 12:39 PM
  • Good to see you found a way out. I use disk images as my solution. Itunes plays music for me, MC gets the movies. MC is sloppy with meta tags from iTunes (I have an iPod). This is due to the errors in the ID3 design.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe

See my site for detailed machine information

Saturday, January 23, 2010 3:17 PM
  • Peter,

Can you share your changes to MediaBrowser that allow proper support of multi-disc titles?

I'm just getting started ripping my (modest) collection and I've been flip-flopping on whether to use the built in Windows 7 MC Movies strip or MediaBrowser.  I had just about decided on vanilla Movies because there were some discs it could pull metadata for from AMG that I couldn't find using meta</browser>.  After reading this thread, I think I do want to use MediaBrowser but not unless it can support multi-disc correctly.

I don't have thousands of titles, but I do want a basic folder structure.  I want to separate out Holiday movies, workout videos and kids stuff from my main group of feature films.  Genres might almost do that but a few of my criteria are subjective plus anything 7MC was unable to find in AMG would not fall in place.

So it seems I need MediaBrowser's folder support.  I do have a handful of TV series that I'd like presented in the usable fashion you describe.  I've seen advice elsewhere to rip each episode to a separate folder but I'm not about to start messing with figuring out the right files to split out (and verifying the functionality) of every one of those.  I just want to be able to rip the discs, find the one I want and use it like it was intended to be used.

Any help on how you got MediaBrowser doing the right thing with the MyMovies.xml info would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 7:59 AM
  • Hi,

Can you compile MediaBrowser? If so I can send you the source file and you can play with it yourself to tweak it.

If not I can send you my DLL that I have compiled (but it is an x64 DLL).

Peter.
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 11:47 AM
  • Peter,

I'm a software developer so I'm sure I could figure it out if I need to but MS Windows is not my main area of expertise and I don't have any tools set up here at home.  I am running Windows 7 Professional x64 on my desktop and Windows 7 Home Premium x64 on my HTPC so an x64 DLL would be fine.  It sounds like you implemented everything I was looking for.  I have just a couple of questions about how you do things.

In your example for TV series DVDs above, which tag holds the "Episodes 01-04" information?  I've looked in my MyMovies.xml files and seen the three title fields called LocalTitle, OriginalTitle and SortTitle.

I'm guessing from your comment above about meaningless disc titles that you do the following for two-disc moves:

\\HomeServer\Videos\M\Mulan\Feature Disc
    \\HomeServer\Videos\M\Mulan\Bonus Disc

Is that correct?  That was my first idea but, as you say, this results in many programs focusing on the meaningless "Feature Disc" and not on what the movie is.

Thanks,
    Owen

P.S. what's the best method for me to get the DLL from you?
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 5:39 PM
  • I am also a developer and I have never had problems with files. I use the C++ standard files all the time and never a problem.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe RaidMax Smilodon, 680W, Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, AMD X2 4200+, 2GB DDR2-800, HD2400 Pro, more details on my site, need a new boot disk, existing one is 5 years old
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 6:04 PM
  • Owen,

I do have that problem, most noticeably with TV series - i.e. "\\HomeServer\C\CSI\CSI Las Vegas\Season 1\Episodes 01-04" has a title of "CSI Las Vegas: Season 1", as does Episodes 05-08 and Episodes 09-12....

I got:
    • titleName - from "Title/LocalTitle", or (if blank) "Title/OriginalTitle"
    • sortname - from "Title/SortName", or (if blank) titleName
    • discCount from "Title/Discs/Disc[LocationTypeSideA=1 or LocationTypeSideA=2]"
    • rawDiscName from "Title/Discs/Disc/Name[../LocationSideA='.']", or (if blank) "Title/Discs/Disc/Name[../LocationSideB='.']
    • discName is then a cleaned up version of rawDiscName (using RegEx - details in code below)
    The visible title is then "discName (part of titleName)" - i.e. "Episodes 01-04 (part of CSI: Las Vegas Season 2)"
    The sort title is commonly "sortName discName"

This was gently hacked together for only my use, so please excuse the code ^_^

To make it easier to get to, I have created a clone of the original source at GoogleCode. The new file can be seen at http://code.google.com/r/pjaclark-mymovies-disc-support/source/browse/MediaBrowser/Library/Providers/MovieProviderFromXml.cs, and you can download the entire source to compile your own from there. It may be that it doesn't work for your setup, but you now have the code to play with. The original source code to MediaBrowser is at http://code.google.com/p/videobrowser/ and is well worth a wander around as I learnt a few things from their code!

A pre-compiled DLL is available from http://pjaclark-mymovies-disc-support.googlecode.com/hg/PJAC%20DLLs/MediaBrowser.dll. It should just install over the previous one using "gacutil.exe /i MediaBrowser.dll /f" Note that this DLL is for the latest version of MediaBrowser (v. 2.2.1), and that I only copied the changes over, so it's not been tested properly yet. I'm sure that by tomorrow night I will have!

Peter.
    Monday, February 22, 2010 1:12 AM
  • Hi, is there any update on a windows 7 mc only (ie not using media browser or other plugin) solution for the original question? ie play video_ts folders via the folder hierarchy like is used in the "Pictues and Videos" library (which can't play DVD folders). Thanks, Ben
    Friday, June 11, 2010 2:19 AM
  • Back to the ORIGINAL question. I can get movies to play from the Movies folder. I copy or move those to the video folder and they do not play. I can see the audio and video files in the video folder but it tells me there are no files when I play.

So, how did anyone get this to play? I never really saw an answer.

The purpose is I want to put movies in my video folder so they dont show up in the movies folder. Later I need to figure out a way to have a PASSWORD on a particular folder if that is possible.

Thank you!

Thursday, August 26, 2010 5:41 PM
  • Can you get MP to open video using the Windows Explorer, if not then associations may need to be changed.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe I also am a true vegan and I am very good with economics and I used to play chess at 2400++ I have lots of papers on my site for power supplies and video card problems, see the resources section
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 5:44 PM
  • This was the first link when searching for " windows media center won't find movies".  I have about 200 dvds onmy ix4-200d... 

I've been having this problem for a week now in Win7; where when I click on Movies (after the folder on my NAS has been setup as the movie folder), it just shows the little circle spinning & "thinking" and finds nothing. On a whim, I decided to check my services.msc, which then reminded me that not too long ago I disabled some services (including Windows Search/Indexing) for better performance while testing something- which I had forgotten.  Anyhow, I went back in and set Windows Search/Indexing and anything that has to do with LAN/ROUTING/MEDIA CENTER/ETC to an Automatic setting.  +Anything that was Disabled I changed to Manual, so it can start if it needs to (except for ____ like Bitlocker, Seaport, Lightscribe, etc that I know I don't need).   Then I restarted WMC and it found the movies/folders no problem. DUH-me!  This is certainly an easy thing to test yourself.

I'll just have to live with so many processes running for this htpc to work.  That's ok, I need a reason to upgrade to a Phenom II x4 that actually supports more 1333 ram anyhow.

Monday, October 18, 2010 7:05 AM
  • I am trying to rip my husbands band DVD into my library.  Can't get it done.  I can rip audio, no problem.  I am new to this and it is urgent I get this done.  Could you help me figure out how to rip to library (DVD)?  I also have the problem where it will play the dvd for us, but if I try to do anything else, I get no picture and the dvd plays first 8-9 seconds and stops or replays. 

Thanks.

JulesElway07

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 4:07 PM
  • There are many DVD copy tools available. You have received some software with your computer, typically Nero is offered as an OEM package.

Such programs can copy a DVD.

My MVP is for Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT, and I am getting increasingly good with Visual Studio.

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:12 PM
  • Peter,

Your problem is conceptual, and in how you are approaching the organization issues of your files.

You are confusing storage with file information, grouping and listing presentation. You want to list your files information by means of storage in a directory (or folder) structure and file naming. The old way used to be done that way, but not anymore. It is very limited, and issues like you encountered where you have 2 episodes with the same name in the same path happen.

What happens when you get 2 movies with the same name? Not very likely but possible. You require a database approach to the listing issue. Listings of items should not be done by identifying items by filename and path, but by unique ID.

Your files could all be stored in 1 single folder and that should not affect how the listings and groupings are done.

That approach is given to you already by XML, in a fully structured way.

The correct way to organize (inducing listing and grouping, which is what you want to do with WMC) files is by means of metadata and XML. XML  is the industry standard for storing and extracting information about files (including listing and grouping), and the standard file type for that is XML. Which is used by WMC. Millions of dollars are spent in developping them. Thousands of researchers and developers dedicate years in that field. Hundreds of PhD theses are made in that area.

So, there are standard XML schemes structures for multiple types of files, in particular for video files! A long way was made to acheive these standards. for file information retrieval.  WMC uses these standards.

Qute: "The problem remains that if you have a TV series in there, you still get either "Chuck - Season 1" 6 times (1 for each disc), or you get "Disc 01-02" with the Chuck cover art." 

The solution to that is in the XML file and in what information are you providing. 

Quote: "It's also incredibly slow with that many discs (1,300 titles across 3,500 discs), and scanning of all the folders takes ages as well."

the number of files you have might be a lot for a home server, but it's ridiculously small compared to any broadcasting company, which have millions of files stored. And they still manage to list them properly with XML metadata. So that is not the reason.

The reason why is slow is because there is a XML tag <dataProvider></dataProvider> that is trying to retrieve metadata information from the internet for each file listed.

Quote: "I *want* Smallville organized next to the Superman movies. In fact, I want all TV series to be under the same root as their related movies. And therefore, I want TV series to appear in the same place as the movies, as I don't want to have to remember that The Sarah Conner Chronicles is under Movies\Terminator whilst Dollhouse is under Videos."

Again all of that can be answered in a consistent and fully functional way by means of XML metadata information.

Try do some research on XML and metadata, and I am sure you will find all the answers that suits your needs.

Greetings,

Carl.

Monday, February 21, 2011 3:54 PM
  • I wonder if you have the same issue I had where Windows 7 does not look "deep enough" for the DVD files.

Try changing the follow registry key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\DvdSettings\FolderSearchDepth             

change this to 6 (or even 8).

I did this. Prior to the change, my DVD rips were not shoing in my movies. Now they are all showing

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 8:51 AM