none
Lexmark X4650 MFC printer

Question

• I have recently installed Windows 7 and my wireless Lexmark X4650 MF printer will not work although it still works fine on my home network with an XP and a Vista machine. I have downloaded the latest drivers from the Lexmark web site and also installed the recent optional driver update that came through Windows Update. The diagnostic printout from the printer shows it is connected to the network. The visible print indicator which comes up on the screen shows printng 99% complete and then just hangs. I have ticked the bidirectional printing box but the printing indicator does not return the ink status as with Vista

Any suggestions on how to solve this problem

Martin
    Sunday, November 01, 2009 3:59 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

You may try to clear the previous printer and reinstall the printer driver from the following link.

http://support.lexmark.com/index?page=recommendedDownloads&locale=EN&productCode=LEXMARK_X4650&segment=DOWNLOAD&userlocale=en_US#1

Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Step 1

======

Start Windows Explorer, and then rename all files and folders in the following two folders:

c:\windows\system32\spool\printers

c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86

To rename a file, we can right click the file and select Rename.

Step 2

======

1. Click Start, type REGEDIT in the Start Search Bar, and then press ENTER.

2. Navigate to and then click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environment\Windows NT x86

View the list of subkeys. There should be only the following subkeys:

Drivers

Print Processors

If there are any keys other than those listed above, follow these steps:

a. On the File menu, click Export.

b. In the File Name box, type a descriptive name for this key -- for example, type WindowsNTx86regkey -- and then click Save to save it to your local Desktop.

We can use this backup of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environment\Windows NT x86 registry key to restore the key if you experience any problems after you complete this procedure.

c. Delete all keys other than Drivers and Print Processors.

Step 3

======

Navigate to and click the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors registry key. View the list of subkeys. There should be only the following subkeys:

BJ Language Monitor

Local Port

Microsoft Document Imaging Writer Monitor

Microsoft Shared Fax Monitor

Standard TCP/IP Port

USB Monitor

WSD Port

If there are any keys other than those listed in above, follow these steps to delete them:

a. On the File menu, click Export.

b. In the File Name box, type a descriptive name for this key -- for example, type Monitorsregkey -- and then click Save to save it to your local Desktop.

We can use this backup of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors registry key to restore the key if you experience any problems after you complete this procedure.

c. Delete all keys other than the 7 listed above.

Step 4. Disconnect the printer cable from the computer, and then restart the computer.

Step 5. Reconnect the printer cable to the computer, install the printer according to the manufacturer's installation instructions, and then check if the issue persists.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, November 02, 2009 8:48 AM
  • I uninstalled all printer drivers including Vista version of Lexmark x4650 - rebooted and then installed new Windows 7 drivers from Lexmark's support site and the printer is now working fine

Thanks

Martin

Thursday, November 05, 2009 4:01 PM