none
Moving Windows 7 Virtual PC from One PC to Another

Question

• I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if it is possible to move a Virtual PC from one host PC to another host PC?  And if so, is this as simple as moving the VHD file to the new host?
    Nate
    Wednesday, May 05, 2010 5:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I can move a Windows 7.vhd file and a Windows 7.vmc file to another computer and double click the .vmc file to start Windows 7 virtual machine normally.

I wonder how do you start the moved virtual machine?

You may also try to create a new virtual machine and use the existing virtual hard disk to import the moved virtual machine to test the issue.

Does it work?

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, May 10, 2010 7:27 AM

All replies

• Pretty much.

You need to make sure you just down the VM before you move it. You should also copy the .vmc file to keep the VMs settings.  Once you copy the .vhd and .vmc, double-click the .vmc and it will auto-create the .vmcx file for Windows VPC.

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 5:46 PM
  • I tried doing that, however, after moving the two files I get the following error when booting up the VM:

BODY {background-color:#f2f5fe;margin:0px 2px;font-family:MS Shell Dlg 2;direction:ltr;word-wrap:break-word;color:#000000;font-size:9pt;overflow:auto;} DIV#ColorBandedheader {background-color:#ffffff;} DIV#ColorBandedcontent {background-color:#ffffff;}

Insert boot media in selected boot device
    or reboot and select proper boot device

Thoughts?

Nate
    Wednesday, May 05, 2010 6:24 PM
  • What are you trying to copy?  XP Mode, or your own VM?  What's the OS?
    Wednesday, May 05, 2010 6:45 PM
  • Read this http://www.dnncreative.com/Tutorials/DNNTutorialsforAdvancedUsers/VirtualPC/tabid/394/Default.aspx
    Thursday, May 06, 2010 4:13 PM
  • There is not any problem in moving the VM or copying the VM.  It the problem of all the extra's that come with the XP-Mode.

For instance you have to pre install XP Mode on the computer you are transferring too, because it uses the template hard drive as a base (whereever you installed it to when you installed xp Mode). Next you need to copy the complete Windows vitural PC folder under your user, C:\Users\YOURUSER\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Virtual PC and all it's contents (Unless you installed it somewhere else).  Depending on the size of your VM it can be up to 15GB in size or bigger.  The base installed vm expanding hard drive is 130GB, but it's only as big as you need.

Or you can back it up, zip it or whaterver to shrink it and copy it. And then restore it to the new computer

Now - this is how to get rid of the extras.

Or you can install a backup software like Acronis, backup the VM to an image, go to the next window 7 computer with Professonial, Enterprise, or Ultimate installed, then install only the Windows Virtual PC update (and second update if your hardware is not virtual), make a new expanding dynamic hard drive under vm settings , restore the image, then start the VM (PS Remember your user name and password) once it's started select tools, turn on intergration. may require a couple of restarts.  Then the vm will be intergrated with the new computer.

If you try to do this with Virtual PC (on another operating system). or with Windows Virtual PC in Window 7 Premium the VM will need to be activated. You will need a new key.  It's only Activated in Windows 7 Professional, Enterprize, or Ultimate.

• Proposed as answer by Sephiroth0327 Thursday, June 10, 2010 4:47 PM
    Thursday, May 06, 2010 6:09 PM
  • I was attempting to move a Windows 7 VM from one host to another host.  Any way I tried it, it failed.  I ended up just re-imaging the VM.  Ended up being more work obviously, however, it just didn't seem to work out.  THe host machines are all running Windows 7 with VMs running Windows 7. 
    Nate
    Friday, May 07, 2010 4:21 PM
  • I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if it is possible to move a Virtual PC from one host PC to another host PC?  And if so, is this as simple as moving the VHD file to the new host?
    Nate

Are you talking about Windows XP Mode for Windows 7 or are you talking generically about moving a virtual macine image from one computer to another?

For Windows 7 the Windows XP Mode file is the virtual machine image and it puts it where Microsoft has designated.  So, copying or moving that to another computer is probably more work that just running the executable to put it in the right place as well as any regitry settings that would be associated with it.

The other file, Windows Virtual PC, is the excutable needed for the XP Mode and is installed like any other program.

Friday, May 07, 2010 6:37 PM
  • Hi,

I can move a Windows 7.vhd file and a Windows 7.vmc file to another computer and double click the .vmc file to start Windows 7 virtual machine normally.

I wonder how do you start the moved virtual machine?

You may also try to create a new virtual machine and use the existing virtual hard disk to import the moved virtual machine to test the issue.

Does it work?

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, May 10, 2010 7:27 AM
  • Figured it out with the help of this post. You need to install xp mode first and use the same settings that you used in the previous computer (i used a custom path of %userprofile%\virtualmachines so knowing this made it easier). Once installed, I deleted the xp mode files from that directory and copied in my existing xp mode files. I had the original vm shutdown so the transfer went ok. Worked like a charm. Xp mode uses differencing drives but the location of the xp mode original (in program files) was exactly the same on both computers and I didn't copy that.

I'm sure you could do this without using the same setup options in xp mode. you would need to know where your original master vhd is since using differencing drives... that needs to be referenced correctly. then point to the correct drive image in settings. Also, the stored credentials are important. Delete and recreate them if needed. (before migrating, I used the runas command to test and make sure I knew the xp mode admin user password (runas /user:xpmodedomain\adminuser cmd))

short but hope it helps...

MCSE MCDBA
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 10:39 PM
  • With DavidB2's method you need to be careful.  If the XP Mode base image you install is different from the XP Mode base image on the original computer, you could run into serious problems with the differencing disc including complete data loss.

Its always better to move the base image with the differencing disk.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 11:00 PM
  • What about the vud file? 

Also, is there a process to commit the undo file to the main vhd/vmc so I can use it as a baseline ?

rwg
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 1:26 PM
  • I don't think I've seen a definative answer to what I'm looking for.

I am loading up 4 new PC. Besides using Acronis to dupe the entire drive, I'd like to know how to move a virtual pc image from one to another.

I have Windows 7 Pro 64-bit setup on each machine, I have installed and setup Windows XP Mode on each. On one of the PCs I setup and installed all the older apps that will not run under Win 64-Bit. There is NO DATA on the local computers, all data is taken from a SQL server. I have also setup all the printers and other things that I need within the XP Mode. Besides redoing all that work on each computer I would like to copy the virtual machine (xp mode) and put a copy on each of the other computers. I have the vhd, vmc and vmcx files. (I copied the entire "Virtual Machine" install volders to an external drive.) I've tried several ways to create a new virtual pc using the old image and it doens't work, I tried ever possible confire you get in the virtual pc manager under "create virtual machine" it won't import the vnc and complains the settings are not the same when I have it use an existing vhd. I have trie setting up the same user on each PC and installed the XP Mode to the exact same folder on each PC. I tried over writting the files with the ones from the other PC and that doesn't work.

The long and short, each PC has Win7 64bit each PC has WinXP Mode installed and a default instance setup and running. The donor PC has a fully configured MP mode image. I want the configured image duped to the other PCs. What I have not found is the procedure for doing so.

I'm not using VMware, I'm using Microsoft Windows XP Mode (Virtual PC 7). Yes It is setup on each PC. Yes the default works on each.

Windows Xp Mode setup is NOT the same nor is the interface the same as Virtual PC 2007, so don't send me a link to setting that up, it doesn't help, I already tried.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 11:03 PM
  • I can confirm I did DavidB2's exact method (carefully emulating everything he did like shutting down the vm, not hibernating, before copying over - both new one about to be replaced and the old one before copying over) and it worked!

To note: integration features didn't work at first but I fixed it by selecting 'upgrade integration components' under tools menu in the VM, restarting, then enabling integration features and all hunky dory from then on.

Thanks DavidB2!!!!

• Edited by frenchglen Thursday, April 05, 2012 12:33 PM
    Thursday, April 05, 2012 12:32 PM
  • FIRST

You need to make sure you follow this steps in the DESTINATION COMPUTER where the machine is going to be copied to

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

Then you can follow the steps mentioned in any of the confirmed posts/answers here

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 11:11 AM