none
This copy of Windows is not genuine? - Windows 7 Ultimate from Microsoft Seminar.

Question

• Greetings!  I work for TWDC and attended a Microsoft Windows 7 tech day in Burbank, CA at the local AMC theater. Nice day, and I did get loads of information.  I also got a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit version. (They said we would get a copy of the 64 bit version, but that is another story)

I installed the software on my development machine (clean install), updated it and went to work to look at the differences before we roll-out. 

Now I noticed in the lower Right corner, the machine says: Windows 7, Build 7600 and "This copy of Windows is not Genuine"

Funny? I GOT it from Microsoft. Oh well.

It does updates OK, but will not let me download Microsoft Software (such as Security Essentials that I'm supposed to be testing.)

I have a Technet Plus license, so I can re-install of course, but I do not want to blow away the image I have.

Any hints?

advTHANKSance

Dkb

Saturday, February 06, 2010 6:18 AM

Answers

• Hi Comfortcat,

The validation issue can be caused by several factors, such as incorrect local system settings or an incorrect Product Key.

To troubleshoot the issue, I would like to suggest you perform the following suggestions:

Suggestion 1: Test the issue in Clean Boot

Suggestion 2: Run the MGA Diagnostic Tool

==========================

1. Install and launch MGA Diagnostic Tool.

2. Click the Continue button.

3. Under the Windows tab, click the Resolve button if it is highlighted.

4. Restart the computer.

Suggestion 3: Retype the same product key

Suggestion 4: Run SLUI 4.exe and re-activate Windows 7 by phone

Does it work?

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 6:08 AM

All replies

• did you input the key code when you installed??
    did you make any changes to the system after install..... BIOS update, add any virtual devices???
    Saturday, February 06, 2010 7:19 AM
  • Hi Comfortcat,

The validation issue can be caused by several factors, such as incorrect local system settings or an incorrect Product Key.

To troubleshoot the issue, I would like to suggest you perform the following suggestions:

Suggestion 1: Test the issue in Clean Boot

Suggestion 2: Run the MGA Diagnostic Tool

==========================

1. Install and launch MGA Diagnostic Tool.

2. Click the Continue button.

3. Under the Windows tab, click the Resolve button if it is highlighted.

4. Restart the computer.

Suggestion 3: Retype the same product key

Suggestion 4: Run SLUI 4.exe and re-activate Windows 7 by phone

Does it work?

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 6:08 AM
  • I have a similar problem, received a win 7 ultimate at a Microsoft seminar,it worked great until recently I get a popup that my PC is not running genuine Microsoft software. It activates OK,it will not Validate, and when I run MGA tool it says everything is ok. I have tried everything, sfc /scannow says my windows files are corrupt and cannot repair, view the CBS.log. I have an antivirus program in stalle and no virus is detected. I have run MS malicious software removal tool and nothing was found.

I called Microsoft, they accessed my PC and installed another key, same result. They suggest I do a reinstall which I have not done yet, as it is the only solution.

I would like to know how the repair the problem.

Any ides?

Saturday, May 01, 2010 2:13 PM
  • I think that your problem may be sorta simple. Before you installed this copy of windows 7, you were probly running a RC of windows 7. Even though you did a clean install on your "C" drive, you did not format your "D" drive. The D drive most likely hold a corrupt SLIC 2.0 file. Try formatting the D drive to correct this problem.  Also, {Remove any and all loader and crack software installed on system}. Now retry to validate. it should work.
    Monday, May 03, 2010 11:21 PM
  • Exact same here. MS sent me a win 7 ultimate for some survey. Installed and working for probably 30-60 days.

One thing that is odd and i am curious if others that experience this issue have this.  Please let me know.

When attempting to see how old the install was, i looked at the date created for c:\users\{me}\ and i noticed it was created sometime in 2003. I remembered when i installed the OS, the time was off in the bios so it ran for a few days with the wrong date/time.

Could MS be reporting off these timestamps? Just a thought, cause i know time/date issues can cause windows to do some odd stuff.

Would love a solution to this problem and not a canned answer like reload the OS. Why should i reinstall? It is a vanilla install?? Probably do it again in a month or two.

Thanks!

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 3:37 AM
  • help us iam also having same problem... and i dont know what to do now iam more confused....after reading allthis  thing .. what i will do i will re install.. or change key product.. or....... what i want is  my os to be ok as soon as possiable... what windows 7 is actually trying to do...

Saturday, August 07, 2010 4:54 PM
  • i have the same thing, mine is asking me to buy a new product key i cannot even call them on the phone. i got mine from store.microsoft.com and i emailed them they gave me a new that did nothing, then they told me to update windows that did nothing then they told me to buy a new product key. clearly its a scam by microsoft to get more money out of people.  pls can any one help me??
    Friday, December 24, 2010 10:36 AM
  • I'm having the same problem, except that I didn't buy Windows 7 at a seminar, I bought it with my computer a year ago - and it's just popped up for the first time today.  Why would it suddenly decide it's not genuine... and how do I fix this? Is it the same "fix" as suggested for the others, or is there a setting I can check (since that seemed to be another possibility)?  Any help you can offer (other than reinstalling) would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Friday, January 07, 2011 10:27 AM
  • Hi Sandywow, I'd recommend creating your own thread for your issue. We'll be happy to help :)
    Friday, January 07, 2011 1:41 PM
  • I have had this problem recently and did a system restore (backed up my data first) but that only fixed the problem for a few days.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 1:18 AM
  • Run the steps provided by Arthur Li .

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 3:03 PM
    • got the same message.  You need your produce key number,it's a 5 part number, mine was on the back of my computer. go to start-to computer-scroll to bottom of page- clic on activeate-put in product key
    Monday, January 31, 2011 9:40 PM
  • Mine did the same thing after 6 months of use.  I just don't have the time to continue messing with Softie screwups.  Since the thing was working (as well as Windows 7 will work - I much preferred XP and still may go back to it), I let it go.  They knew they had a problem after the last "update" or whatever it does.  The major update service pack 1 corrected it.  Good luck.

Sunday, July 31, 2011 3:56 PM
  • if its not highlighted ?
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 1:47 PM
  • Have a look at my thread here. I think MS has a serious problem. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/6dfd685f-e5a0-41c5-bf9b-a812631bbb6f#6dfd685f-e5a0-41c5-bf9b-a812631bbb6f

Friday, July 20, 2012 6:10 AM