none
CD/DVD roms not showing up in My Computer. Shows in Device Manager with a Code 19 or 41

Question

• I've seen this on about 8 computers in the last few months. 6 vista and now 2 XP's. The fix is easily done by deleting the Upper and Lower Filters in the registry. I've had this problem happen while I was updating vista on a clean install and days after a clean install with all the updates. I thought it was a Vista thing but I've just had 2 cases of it on XP boxes. It doesn't seem to be linked to any specific brand of manufactorer of Roms. And it isn't caused by Roxio or Nero because I've had it happen on clean installs. My installs that this is happened on has been: OEM XP and Vista, Retail OS's of Vista(different versions) and the Vista download from this site. Other Codes associated with this problem have been: 31,32 and 39 per KB/314060 but I've only seen code 19 and 41. On one Box(Vista) when I plugged in a USB external DVD drive it was disabled as soon as it reconized the drive.  I have a few questions:  
    1. Could the Windows CD burning software that comes with the Operating System be causing it?
    2. What is the purpose of the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry entry, deleting them so far has fixed the problem?
    3. Should I delete these entries after every install to prevent this problem from poping up?  
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 3:53 PM

Answers

• Hi Joe,

To answer your questions:

1. Could the Windows CD burning software that comes with the Operating System be causing it?

Answer: I don't think so. The issue you occurred with is mainly due to DVD device driver, it has no such a big deal with software. So far, I haven't saw any feedback saying that Windows CD burning software causes CD/DVD device unrecognized.

2. What is the purpose of the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry entry, deleting them so far has fixed the problem?

Based on my research, the UpperFilters means a PnP filter driver can support a specific device or all devices in a setup class and can attach above a device's function driver and the LowerFilters means it can attach below a device's function driver. Lower-level filter drivers typically modify the behavior of device hardware. Upper-level filter drivers typically provide added-value features for a device. Deleting the UpplerFileters and the LowerFilters will remove the service name from the UpperFilters or LowerFilters entry value that is located under the registry key for the corresponding device setup class.

More Info, please see:

Filter Drivers

3. Should I delete these entries after every install to prevent this problem from poping up? 

No..only if you encountered problems with corresponding device setup class.

For more references:

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

Best Regards
    Dale
    Monday, January 18, 2010 9:05 AM
  • Code 19: Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damage

Device Manager displays the following message in the Device Properties dialog box, on the General tab, in the Device Status text box:

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. To fix this problem you should uninstall and then reinstall the hardware device. (Code 19)

Diagnosis

Data in the registry for the device and its driver have been damaged.

Resolution

A registry problem was detected. This can occur when more than one service is defined for a device, if there is a failure opening the service registry entry, or if the driver name cannot be obtained from the service registry entry.

Try these options:

• Click Uninstall, and then click Scan for hardware changes to load a usable driver.
    • Restart the computer in Safe Mode, and then select Last Known Good Configuration. This rolls back to the most recent successful registry configuration.

Best Regards
    Dale

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 2:26 AM
  • Sorry it's taken so long to respond to your last reply. I've done the uninstalls and reboots. Hasn't worked. The only resolution I use, is the registry edit. Which is an easy fix. I'm doing it on all new installs (even before the problem happens) just so I don't get a call back.
        Not sure about your answer: The boot choices you have is Safe Mode or Last Known Good Configuration and a few others. From my experience of using Last Known Good Configuration, there are not many opportunities to use this. Because: if any part of the GUI loads (like the Windows screen) your Last Known Good Configuration is reset to that failed boot. You almost have to suspect you're going to have a boot problem to use the Last Known option. I've read the links you provided. Looks like this is happening with windows drivers.  Thanks    I'll mark this as answered    Joe
    • Marked as answer by Joe Easterling Thursday, February 18, 2010 2:08 AM
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 2:08 AM

All replies

• Hi Joe,

To answer your questions:

Answer: I don't think so. The issue you occurred with is mainly due to DVD device driver, it has no such a big deal with software. So far, I haven't saw any feedback saying that Windows CD burning software causes CD/DVD device unrecognized.

Based on my research, the UpperFilters means a PnP filter driver can support a specific device or all devices in a setup class and can attach above a device's function driver and the LowerFilters means it can attach below a device's function driver. Lower-level filter drivers typically modify the behavior of device hardware. Upper-level filter drivers typically provide added-value features for a device. Deleting the UpplerFileters and the LowerFilters will remove the service name from the UpperFilters or LowerFilters entry value that is located under the registry key for the corresponding device setup class.

More Info, please see:

Filter Drivers

No..only if you encountered problems with corresponding device setup class.

For more references:

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

Best Regards
    Dale
    Monday, January 18, 2010 9:05 AM
  • Hi Dale,
               Thank you for your quick response. The reason I mentioned the burning software is because alot of blogs point to this install. I try to filter through the many explainations and reasons folks submit. I was even second quessing my work thinking I was the common denominator.
           I'm seeing this on a large scale. I'm going on a call this morning and one of the customers issues is "when I put a cd in my drive I hear it running but nothing happens". things that make you go HMMM!
          On a Dell XPS 410 box after (vista home premuin) install, SP1 and the last of reconmended updates, I got a code 19 when I installed and optional nvidia graphics driver and KB968389.
          Well thats all I can submit on this.

Thank  Joe
    Monday, January 18, 2010 10:43 AM
  • Code 19: Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damage

Device Manager displays the following message in the Device Properties dialog box, on the General tab, in the Device Status text box:

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. To fix this problem you should uninstall and then reinstall the hardware device. (Code 19)

Diagnosis

Data in the registry for the device and its driver have been damaged.

Resolution

A registry problem was detected. This can occur when more than one service is defined for a device, if there is a failure opening the service registry entry, or if the driver name cannot be obtained from the service registry entry.

Try these options:

• Click Uninstall, and then click Scan for hardware changes to load a usable driver.
    • Restart the computer in Safe Mode, and then select Last Known Good Configuration. This rolls back to the most recent successful registry configuration.

Best Regards
    Dale

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 2:26 AM
  • Sorry it's taken so long to respond to your last reply. I've done the uninstalls and reboots. Hasn't worked. The only resolution I use, is the registry edit. Which is an easy fix. I'm doing it on all new installs (even before the problem happens) just so I don't get a call back.
        Not sure about your answer: The boot choices you have is Safe Mode or Last Known Good Configuration and a few others. From my experience of using Last Known Good Configuration, there are not many opportunities to use this. Because: if any part of the GUI loads (like the Windows screen) your Last Known Good Configuration is reset to that failed boot. You almost have to suspect you're going to have a boot problem to use the Last Known option. I've read the links you provided. Looks like this is happening with windows drivers.  Thanks    I'll mark this as answered    Joe
    • Marked as answer by Joe Easterling Thursday, February 18, 2010 2:08 AM
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 2:08 AM