none
MSG.EXE Error 1722 getting session names?

Question

• I have a vista and whenever I send msg to someone else on my "workgroup" it says "Error 1722 Getting session names. I tried msg /?. It sends a message to myself though... ("msg /server:COMPUTERNAME USERNAME "MESSAGE")
    Saturday, January 01, 2011 1:20 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Please try the following steps:

Before modify the registry keys, please take a backup of the key. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, please click the following link to view the article:

Back up the registry

Please add the following registry entry with logon script:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server

Name : AllowRemoteRPC

Type : REG_DWORD

Value : 1

References:

Net Send in Windows Vista

How to configure RPC dynamic port allocation to work with firewalls

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Friday, January 07, 2011 7:51 AM
    Tuesday, January 04, 2011 7:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try the following steps:

Before modify the registry keys, please take a backup of the key. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, please click the following link to view the article:

Back up the registry

Please add the following registry entry with logon script:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server

Name : AllowRemoteRPC

Type : REG_DWORD

Value : 1

References:

Net Send in Windows Vista

How to configure RPC dynamic port allocation to work with firewalls

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Friday, January 07, 2011 7:51 AM
    Tuesday, January 04, 2011 7:35 AM
  • This is not the error message for this fix.   When you have not set the registry key, it says  :Error  5 getting session names

For example:

if the remote computer you are trying to send a message to does not have the AllowRemoteRPC registry entry set to 1, you get: Error 5 getting session names

Then if you try again, on some computers everything works fine, on others you will get: Error 1722 getting session names

This is where I am at right now and trying to fix. 

Thursday, May 05, 2011 7:22 PM
  • to send a message to another pc, first you must be using professional version or ultimate version
    assuming that you do,
    before you do this, back up your system. messing with the registry files is a risky business

First, in the search box in the start menu, type in regedit. double click hkey_local machine, then system, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then terminal server, and finally in the window on the right, double click AllowRemoteRPC. Change the value data to 1 and then click ok

Second, in the start menu search box, type credential manager. In credential Manager click on add a Windows Credential. The top box wants the name of the remote computer. the second box wants the username that you will be messaging. the third box wants the password of the username of the remote computer.

Third, restart your computer

Fourth, you should be ready to send a message. Open a command prompt window. type msg /server nameofremotepchere usernamehere messagehere

good luck

• Edited by dugoatboy Tuesday, August 07, 2012 12:14 AM
    Tuesday, August 07, 2012 12:13 AM
  • Hi,

I met same issue. And I've tried this method. It's does work. The Error 1722 getting session names also pop up.  DO your have ohter methods?

Thank you

• Edited by Heng Zhu Tuesday, September 25, 2012 9:50 AM
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 9:49 AM