none
wdf01000.sys corrupt or missing. HELP

Question

• I upgraded from XP to Vista ultimate.  It worked fine until one day I started getting this error message:

file:\windows\system32\drivers\wdf01000.sys

info: windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing or corrupt

I tried repairing using the VISTA disc, but to no avail.  now my PC is dead.

My copy of Vista was from the MSDN subscription.

Someone please help.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 6:53 AM

All replies

• I am having this problem as well, and I can not seem to find a repair, did you ever find a fix? anyone else have this problem?

Friday, September 07, 2007 2:51 PM
  •  

Try running the sfc /scannow from command promt by running as administrator. That will fix your system files that could have been corrupted.
    Friday, September 07, 2007 5:12 PM
  • I get this periodically; I can get over it by booting up with my install disk and selecting repair.

Does kind of bug me though, I was beginning to think I had a dodgy sector or my HD was playing up, I was going to re-install on a fresh HD.

Oh by the way, I also upgraded from XP.

Tuesday, October 02, 2007 7:38 AM
  • Okay... I'm dredging up a really old thread but my issue is the same...

Vista installation was working okay a week ago (and I mean okay... not superbly...) and when I went to use it yesterday I was greeted by a "failed to start" message, and a "corrupt or missing".

File: \Windows\system32\drivers\wdf01000.sys
      Info:  Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing, or corrupt.

-Repair tools fail repeatedly.
    -System restore succeeds, but doesn't restore to a point where the PC will boot (although I manually used the "save a restore point" after each and every driver install during OS installation)
    -Running "sfc /scannow" from the command prompt in the recovery tools screen results in a dead end message "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."

I have upgraded from a pre-SP2 version of XP to force a clean installation, so a simple re-install of Vista is not possible:  I am prompted to start with the original OS when I enter my Vista key.

The ONLY reason that I do not abandon Windows on this installation is to use my XBOX360 as a media extender.

Is there any reasonable solution to this issue?
    Sunday, September 14, 2008 3:25 PM
  • I am having the same problem right now i have a Toshiba vista. It was vista from the first place and they ask me for installation CD can anyone help me.
    Saturday, May 09, 2009 8:28 PM
  • I just had this same problem and thought I would post the fix that worked for me.
    It seems that this problem is because the wdf01000.sys file itself has somehow been corrupted.
    All you should need to do is obtain a copy of the file from a working install of Vista. It is located
    in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers. Just copy it to a CD or USB drive. Boot your computer from
    a Windows Vista repair disc or from your Windows Vista Installation DVD. On the second screen
    select Repair. Skip the automatic startup repair and click the option to open a command prompt.
    Now change your directory to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and rename your wdf01000.sys to
    something like wdf01000.old. Now copy the wdf01000.sys file from your CD or USB drive. Exit
    the command prompt and reboot the system. You should now be up and running.

NOTE: Make sure the version of Vista you get your file from is the same version. In other
    words don't copy the file from a 64bit version to a 32bit version etc. Service Pack doesn't
    seem to matter as I copied from and SP1 machine to a RTM machine and it fixed the problem.

If anyone need more detailed step by step instructions I can try to find the time to type some up.
    Hopefully this is clear enought to get you going though. Hope it helps!
    Friday, June 05, 2009 3:56 PM
  • Hello Chilly Sam

I can not thank you enough for your posting, i just went thru ____ trying to restore my HP laptop after if would not start, somehow going thru the logs i discover that it was having problem with Wdf01000.sys file corrupt or missing. I did it all; Restore back to check point, repairs and nothing would fix the problem. This time around i was trying to and did avoid HP support that is usually waste of my time (about 3 to 4 hours a night) lucky me that i had Vista CD that came with the system. I was able to do as you describe in your posting i.e. rename the file         Wdf01000.sys to Wdf01000.old and copy new file from the Vista CD back to local drivers folder. thanks to you i am back in business.
    I would really like to know what caused this problem, the only thing that recently i did on my laptop is install SIMS games and it looks like every time i use the SIMS gave on HP laptop something goes bad. Appreciate any ideas? and thanks again and again.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 4:14 AM
  • I having the same problem with my pc, ur way looks like the way forward just that i'm not really familiar with usin command prompt, so i was hopin u could break down the command prompt instructions to me
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 1:45 PM
  • I really could do with those step by step instructions Cage. Any chance of u emailing them to me??? bullterrier69@hotmail.com.

Tich

Monday, October 04, 2010 9:54 AM
  • HI i am also having this problem on my laptop however it is WE 7 not vista please canany1 give me any guidance on this i do not have any back up discs is this the case i need to get themand do it that way? Please helpmesomeone
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 7:57 PM
  • hi sam2201uk! im having that problem as well. how did u fixed it? any help would be appreciated. thank you!
    Saturday, December 03, 2011 10:35 PM
  • I'm having an issue with this file as well. The anti-virus scan shows it's infected with a trojan horse agent3.wjv but it cannot remove or correct the file because it is a critical system file. I have windows 7. How should I fix this?
    Monday, January 02, 2012 4:19 AM
  • I have Win7 and I tried that for this problem. It didn't work. Is there any way to fix this on Win7???!!!
    Thursday, September 26, 2013 7:57 PM