none
I cannot activate windows 8

Question

• I have the Windows 8 Upgread Version(i  have win7 key home premium) i installed win 8 from the win8 boot CD. and now i cant activate it because it sais that my key can only be used for upgread. then i wanted to activate via phone. but my prduct id isn´t displayed anywhere.
    Saturday, October 27, 2012 5:31 PM

Answers

• Hi chindy,

Yes, you won't normally be able to activate your windows 8 due to the procedure you followed to install it. ( clean install )

You can check if the step below will work for you.

open up an administrative command prompt.  You can use task manager or just right click on where the start button used to be in desktop mode and choose administrative command prompt.  A black box will appear.

Type "slmgr -ato" without the quotation marks and press enter.  It will tell you that no product key is in your PC.

Type "slmgr -ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX" without the quotation marks and where the characters after -ipk is your product key.  You will get an error with f061 at the end.

If the above fits your issue then you can contact the Microsoft technical support line at 1-800-936-5700 or visit the online store to get in touch with a chat tech.  Post Windows 8 activation issues are free so there's no reason not to call.

There is a registry workaround below but it would take away from the limited amount of rearms that you have.   Only do the steps below if you are confident of your skills.  If not then just contact Microsoft for the free in-warranty support for their retail products.

1. open registry editor

2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/

3. Change the value of Mediabootinstall from 1 to 0

4. Use "slmgr -rearm" on an administrative command prompt

5. Restart when prompted

6. activate!

• Proposed as answer by Kram Devil Monday, October 29, 2012 3:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Niki HanModerator Wednesday, November 07, 2012 9:01 AM
    Monday, October 29, 2012 3:31 AM

All replies

• re-install on top of your existing Win8 installation and tell it to keep apps, settings, and files.  You should then be able to re-enter your key and perform activation.
    Saturday, October 27, 2012 8:43 PM
  • Hi chindy,

Yes, you won't normally be able to activate your windows 8 due to the procedure you followed to install it. ( clean install )

You can check if the step below will work for you.

open up an administrative command prompt.  You can use task manager or just right click on where the start button used to be in desktop mode and choose administrative command prompt.  A black box will appear.

Type "slmgr -ato" without the quotation marks and press enter.  It will tell you that no product key is in your PC.

Type "slmgr -ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX" without the quotation marks and where the characters after -ipk is your product key.  You will get an error with f061 at the end.

If the above fits your issue then you can contact the Microsoft technical support line at 1-800-936-5700 or visit the online store to get in touch with a chat tech.  Post Windows 8 activation issues are free so there's no reason not to call.

There is a registry workaround below but it would take away from the limited amount of rearms that you have.   Only do the steps below if you are confident of your skills.  If not then just contact Microsoft for the free in-warranty support for their retail products.

1. open registry editor

2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/

3. Change the value of Mediabootinstall from 1 to 0

4. Use "slmgr -rearm" on an administrative command prompt

5. Restart when prompted

6. activate!

• Proposed as answer by Kram Devil Monday, October 29, 2012 3:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Niki HanModerator Wednesday, November 07, 2012 9:01 AM
    Monday, October 29, 2012 3:31 AM