none
Xbox 360 PC game controller (wired) freezes games

Question

• Hey there, guys.

I've got an issue with a product I just brought yesterday. The peripheral, one wired Xbox 360 PC controller (official Microsoft), has an issue where when you're in a game, once you attack, the game freezes. Now, the music still plays in the background, and the only way to unfreeze the game is via unplugging the controller from it's designated USB port. 

In an attempt to rectify the issue, I've tried a few of the following things: plugging the controller into the back USB port on the computer (the primary), as opposed to the front (the secondary), and uninstalling, and then re-installing, the device's drivers, which are what the computer automatically installed upon plugging in the controller for the first time. This is the name of the driver that's been installed: Motioninjoy Virtual Xinput device for Windows.

Something else I'd like to add here is that the controller is actually working fine in one game, Assassins Creed 1, however, every other game I've tried (Grand Theft Auto IV: Episodes of Liberty City; Red Faction Armageddon; Fable 3) has the freezing issue. Also, as noted above, you can only fix the issue via unplugging, the device; not even force quitting the game via the Task Manager will work, and trying to Shut Down or Restart normally will work either, so, before I tried unplugging the device, I actually had to hard-shut down (just hold down the button). 

This is really frustrating me, and any help would be very much appreciated. All I want to do is play some games while I'm on holidays XD.

Many thanks.

(P.S. Here are my Tech. Specs:

-Hardware: 

* Case:
    Antec 1200 Hundred Tower Gaming Case - $220.00
    +
    Antec LED TRICOOL (120mm) Side Window Fan - $24.95

* Powersupply:
    TSUNAMI 850W ATX Power Supply - $99.95

* Mainboard (Motherboard):
    Asus P7P55D_Pro i5 Quad Core Motherboard *RAID* - $219.95

* Processor (CPU):
    Intel i7 Processor 860 Socket LGA 1156 (2.8-3.46GHz, 2.5GT/s, 8MB Cache) - $317.95

* Memory (RAM):
    x2 Kingston KHX1600C8D3T1K2 DDR3-1600 RAM (PC3-12800) KHX1600C8D3T1K2/4GX - $199.95 + $199.95 = $399.90

* Graphics Card(s):
    x2 NVIDIA GeForce GTX460 768MB - $249.00 + $249.00 = $498.00
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 6:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• I had a similar problem a few years ago with my 360 controller. Turns out that the USB power circuit is not enough to power on of these without hitting the high limit of draw. The way I fixed it was to pick up a powered USB hub ($10 on Amazon) and plug the controller into it. I haven't had a problem since.

SC Tom

Thursday, October 13, 2011 8:25 PM
  • Ditto... ran into the same thing, powered USB hub for the win.
    :P Advice offered, If you need more help it is advised to seek the council and advice of paid professionals. The answer is always 42, or reboot.
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 8:32 PM
  • Okay, thanks for the advice, however, after purchasing a new powered USB hub today, the issue is still occurring. Any other thoughts, guys?
    Friday, October 14, 2011 4:42 AM

• Not sure what else it could be since that's what fixed mine.

Do you have the MS driver for it?    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/xbox-360-controller-for-windows   

Even though the one I have now is an Afterglow by PDP, it still uses the MS driver.

Edit: After looking into the Motionjoy driver, it appears to have many problems with Win7 64-bit. Read this page:

http://www.motioninjoy.com/blog/motioninjoy-simulate-xbox-360-controller-virtual-xinput-device    

To see if that's the problem, uninstall the Motionjoy driver, then install the Microsoft driver from the first link.

SC Tom

Friday, October 14, 2011 10:41 AM

• Not sure what else it could be since that's what fixed mine.

Do you have the MS driver for it?    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/xbox-360-controller-for-windows   

Even though the one I have now is an Afterglow by PDP, it still uses the MS driver.

Edit: After looking into the Motionjoy driver, it appears to have many problems with Win7 64-bit. Read this page:

http://www.motioninjoy.com/blog/motioninjoy-simulate-xbox-360-controller-virtual-xinput-device    

To see if that's the problem, uninstall the Motionjoy driver, then install the Microsoft driver from the first link.

SC Tom

Awesome, mate. thank you so very much for this. It's working!! Cheers all for the aid :-).

Friday, October 14, 2011 5:25 PM

• <Jedster1989> wrote in message news:b6866a5c-eb3c-410a-a072-808aae1ad0c3@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Awesome, mate. thank you so very much for this. It's working!! Cheers all for the aid :-).

Good deal! Glad it was a fairly simple solution. And you got a new hub out of the deal, too! :)

SC Tom

Friday, October 14, 2011 7:02 PM
  • I bought a wireless controller recently and I tried it with a game, worked as expected with Halo 2

Windows MVP 2010-11, XP, Vista, 7. Expanding into Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server, SharePoint, Cloud, Virtualization etc. etc.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Friday, October 14, 2011 11:31 PM

• <Vegan Fanatic [MVP]> wrote in message news:4e058042-43a6-414c-83a3-41f1e35539d8@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I bought a wireless controller recently and I tried it with a game, worked as expected with Halo 2

Well, good for you! And the point is. . .? You lost me there, VF (although sometimes I'm easily lost).

SC Tom

Saturday, October 15, 2011 1:06 AM
  • I wonder if this is another USB stack problem, I have seen lots of them here in the last few months

Windows MVP 2010-11, XP, Vista, 7. Expanding into Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server, SharePoint, Cloud, Virtualization etc. etc.

Saturday, October 15, 2011 1:10 AM

• <Vegan Fanatic [MVP]> wrote in message news:6e3a233b-3162-4ec6-8c07-dee11c849e08@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I wonder if this is another USB stack problem, I have seen lots of them here in the last few months

Could be, but Jedster 1989 specifically stated that he has a wired controller. Not saying that he was or wasn't having a stack problem, but your analogy with a wireless controller doesn't fit the subject line.

And saying "it works with my machine" is like calling IT at work and getting "works OK for me" as an answer :-)

SC Tom

Saturday, October 15, 2011 1:39 AM
  • The problems with USB I have seen span a range of devices. I have seen some problems due to a lack of power, mine needs lots as its wireless but a wired one should not need so much.

I suggest inserting the Windows DVD and so an upgrade as this will fix most problems with the system files.

Saturday, October 15, 2011 1:44 AM

• <Vegan Fanatic [MVP]> wrote in message news:150fcffc-32ce-4956-9a19-38680f1e119d@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

The problems with USB I have seen span a range of devices. I have seen some problems due to a lack of power, mine needs lots as its wireless but a wired one should not need so much.

I suggest inserting the Windows DVD and so an upgrade as this will fix most problems with the system files.

Most of the wired controllers draw 500mA on the USB bus. I don't know if the wireless dongle would draw that much or not, never having owned one, but I wouldn't think that it would draw much more than a wireless mouse dongle. Near as I can tell, my MS Laser Mouse 6000 draws 100Ma.

Since the problem has already been fixed by uninstalling a flaky third-party driver, the insertion of the Windows DVD and an upgrade is not necessary.

SC Tom

Saturday, October 15, 2011 2:22 AM
  • Curious as the driver is provided by Microsoft for my pad. I assume everybody has the same setup, clones or branded they all seem to be the same driver.

Who's driver was at issue?

Saturday, October 15, 2011 2:38 AM

• <Vegan Fanatic [MVP]> wrote in message news:55e08d0e-4a96-4ce3-90f7-cb398f5e4133@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Curious as the driver is provided by Microsoft for my pad. I assume everybody has the same setup, clones or branded they all seem to be the same driver.

Who's driver was at issue?

Motionjoy's. Didn't you read the thread at all?

SC Tom

Saturday, October 15, 2011 2:45 AM
  • I only read the OPs post initially

Saturday, October 15, 2011 2:50 AM