none
Enable advanced printing features in printer driver

Question

• Enabling advanced printing features (printer properties - advanced tab) puts an EMF files in the spooldirectory.

Can anyone explain me what's the relationship between the above feature (AFP) and the default data type & print processor

where I also see EMF and Raw as part of the print processor I select (eg winprint)?

Enabling/disabling APF does not change the default data type found in the <print processor> button.

Thx,

Johan

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

EMF (Enhanced MetaFile) and raw are terms for spool file formats used in printing by the Windows operating system . When a print job is sent to the printer , if it is already printing another file, the computer reads the new file and stores it, usually on the hard disk or in memory , for printing at a later time. Spooling allows multiple print jobs to be given to the printer at one time.

The EMF format is the 32- bit version of the original Windows metafile (WMF) format. The EMF format was created to solve the deficiencies of the WMF format in printing graphics from sophisticated graphics programs. The EMF format is device-independent. This means that the dimensions of a graphic are maintained on the printed copy regardless of the resolution in dots per inch of the printer. In a network, the smaller file size of the EMF format reduces network traffic. EMF is the spool file used by the Windows operating system.

A raw spool file is a one that is sent to the Windows spooler unprocessed (which is why it's called "raw"). The raw file is used to send Postscript commands to a Postscript printer. The Postscript commands are understood by the printer, but are just plain data to the Windows spooler. The raw format is device-dependent and slower. If printing problems occur while using the EMF format, they can sometimes be fixed by simply changing the format to "raw" in the printer Properties.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, September 30, 2011 8:36 AM