none
CPU spikes for 100% randomly and stays for more than 10 minutes

Question

• I’ve an HP ProBook 4520s Laptop with Intel Core i5 processor
    with 8 GB ram. Operating system is Windows 7 Enterprise with SP1. All of sudden
    machine starts to freeze and CPU utilization jumps for 100% and entire machine
    become really slow. This will last more than 10 minutes time and then CPU utilization
    drops to normal.

I’ve look into the process explorer and couldn’t find any
    specific application which utilize most of the CPU power at that time.
    Applications randomly spikes in CPU utilization so it’s impossible to say which
    application hogs the system. I’ve run antivirus scan on the entire computer
    using Microsoft and Kaspersky products but couldn’t find any virus activity
    either. Has anyone experience similar issue?

Thanks,

Susantha

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 7:18 PM

Answers

All replies

•  

Hi,

This issue is mostly caused by third-party software and device driver, I suggest you perform the following steps to troubleshoot this isse:

1. Update your NIC driver to the latest version.
    2. Check if this issue exists in Safe Mode.
    3. If the problem goes away, try clean boot.

Meanwhile, I would like to share the following case with you which might give you some hints:

The Case of the System Process CPU Spikes

Thanks,

Alex Zhao

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Alex Zhao

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 2:31 AM
  •  

Hi,

I am just writing to check the status of this thread. Was the information provided in previous reply helpful to you? Do you have any further questions or concerns? Please feel free to let us know.

Regards,

Alex Zhao

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Alex Zhao

Monday, March 12, 2012 1:36 AM
  • Hi Alex,

I've tried updating the network files and disabling the mentioned services but the problem still continue. Under safe mode problem didn't occurred. I've completely wipe the windows OS and format the disk and tried with again but the problem still exists. Can this be a hardware problem.

Thanks,

Susantha

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 5:40 AM
  •  

Hi,

As you said, this issue did not occur to Safe Mode, this could be related to the software or driver issue, if it still persists in Clean Boot mode, I would suggest you update the device drivers to the latest version.

Alex Zhao

Alex Zhao

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 2:06 AM
  • It's probably that HP wireless assistant thing.  Try upgrading it.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 2:30 PM
  •  

Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Regards,

Alex Zhao

Alex Zhao

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:47 AM
  • Hi Alex,

I've escalated this issue to HP Support team as well whom I purchase the laptop. They also not sure about the symptom but they did service the laptop (Give a cleanup in the CPU area) According to them some customers has complain them about this and found out excessive heat has cause this problem. I'll be monitoring this for few more days and will update this thread as well.

In a way I can believe them because there is no software side troubleshooting left over for me to scan or fix and Process explorer couldn't find any issue either.

Thanks,
    Susantha

Friday, March 23, 2012 1:30 AM
  • HP Support engineers replaced by CPU and motherboard but the problem still exists. I have a issue with notebook battery guess that can be the root cause now. OS has been re-install from scratch and that leaves and doubt wtih that as well. Strange issue so far, but only thing I can narrow down is the battery which is given an error code of "601" during the startup.

Sunday, May 20, 2012 2:34 AM